Our Run In (1 Viewer)

Hobo

Looking at the table, we have lost a relatively low number of games compared to others but the amount of games drawn is our Achilles heel. If we had won a few of those we would be flying. Not losing games is always a good attribute but we need to stop drawing so many to be in with a chance

Just keep picking up points and see where it takes us. Pointless getting hung up on the what if's. Every team has what if's.

Happy_Martian

Just keep picking up points and see where it takes us. Pointless getting hung up on the what if's. Every team has what if's.

It's a fun talking point (and why I did my predictions) but I keep saying it. We're still far too far out to be micro-analysing the future. 19 games left, the playoff spots are open to anyone. We lose the next two, we could drop to midtable.

Macca1987

I agree with a lot of what is being said about anything can happen over the next 19 games, we just need to look back to last years run in. There were times like Stoke 4-0 where I thought that's it we've blown any chance, but then other teams started faltering and the last minute goal from Wilson at Blackburn kept our hopes alive. I think there will be so many twist and turns for a lot of teams over the next three months that we should just sit back and enjoy the ride, que sera sera

Astute

Looking at the table, we have lost a relatively low number of games compared to others but the amount of games drawn is our Achilles heel. If we had won a few of those we would be flying. Not losing games is always a good attribute but we need to stop drawing so many to be in with a chance
Be in with a chance? We have climbed to 6th from near the bottom whilst playing all the top sides in this run. We have gone above the teams below us because they are not in good form. We are free scoring yet have kept a tight defence. We're the only side to put 3 past Leicester this season. We even got a point at Leeds.

I don't understand all the negativity when we're already in 6th and playing our best football for nearly 30 years. I could understand if we still hadn’t got a top 6 finish for 50 years but that's a thing of the past.

Astute

We lose the next two, we could drop to midtable.
Win the next two we could be 6 points above 7th. More chance of this happening than trying to work out results of games between sides below us and a pick up of form for all the teams below us.

Hobo

The positive is that we got off to a slow start because of so many new players coming in. But we have still got to sixth. So lots of games left second half of the season, and we know there is scope to improve. So if we keep doing what we have been doing, we should be okay or there or thereabouts?

Two things that can derail us:
1. A run of injuries to key players.
2. If we stay in top six teams may become very negative tactically against us. We aren't always that good at breaking defensively minded teams down, especially at home. Being in the top 6 brings a different type of pressure.

But if the big crowds continue, the big atmosphere's and the fans stick by the players through thick and thin, it could be very interesting.

shmmeee

The positive is that we got off to a slow start because of so many new players coming in. But we have still got to sixth. So lots of games left second half of the season, and we know there is scope to improve. So if we keep doing what we have been doing, we should be okay or there or thereabouts?

Two things that can derail us:
1. A run of injuries to key players.
2. If we stay in top six teams may become very negative tactically against us. We aren't always that good at breaking defensively minded teams down, especially at home. Being in the top 6 brings a different type of pressure.

But if the big crowds continue, the big atmosphere's and the fans stick by the players through thick and thin, it could be very interesting.

1) We just got our top scorer injured and smashed a team 6-2 then beat top of the league 3-1.

2) the league leaders just tried to sit back on us for 45 mins and we scored three.

:p

Philosorapter

Ipswich does look like they are starting to go in a downwards trajectory, as many predicted on here.

Other teams seem now to be treading water instead of climbing.

Wingy has set a target of (1600) for a comfortable place in the play offs.

Auto's, I think we are looking at around (1700).

With the games left, anything is possible.

Even myself installing a spell checker.

Philosorapter

The higher up you go the harder it gets to maintain or increase your rating.

It's like a beep test.

That's why you take your points when you can. There are no easy games but some are more easier than others.

Always said you need a team that can win against the bottom 8 teams away from home and then also all the permutations in between.

Last edited:

Philosorapter

Just out of curiosity, I have always wondered how much each place is worth in the Premiership. The last time I checked the Championship prize money is worked out differently.

curly_tom

At the end of last season when we didn't make it, I remember everyone going on about how much more difficult it would be this year with the big teams coming down. I guess that is being born out but it seems that quite a few of the play-off hopefuls have faltered as we did at the beginning of the season which leaves a potetial play-off position a real possibility. The big problem will be trying to beat Leeds, Southampton, Ipwich or maybe even Leicester in a two-legged semi-final. I didn't think we had a chance against Boro last year but somehow it happened. Everyone gets so fixated on getting into 6th place that I think people seem to forget that they are hard to win.

I guess we just need to enjoy the ride and not get too concerned with how many points we can notch up. As people have said, it's a game at a time and try to beat each team as they come. We will slip up here and there but I think we will win more often than not in the run-in.

skybluelee

Let's not get carried away. Every team has good and poor spells.
Things no doubt are going very well at the moment despite not having dangerous forwards. I would be a lot happier with at least one other option up front, can't keep relying on midfielders and defenders to score.
Last year we had Vik and Gus. We are stronger squad wise but they were phenomenonal in getting to Fifth.

Coventry were very good against Leicester and Leeds away but long way to go yet.
At this point last season Gyokeres had 14, Hamer 4.

This year Godden has 9, Wright 8, O'Hare 6, Sakamoto 6. Much less reliance this season on just 2 players for goals.

Astute

I think consistency is going to be the main thing here.

Not the amount of points that are stocked up but the fewest losses we have.
The main thing is don't lose to the sides around you. A draw is always a decent result.

Hobo

1) We just got our top scorer injured and smashed a team 6-2 then beat top of the league 3-1.

2) the league leaders just tried to sit back on us for 45 mins and we scored three.

:p

The team we smashed were a new team to the league below.

The League leaders sat back on a lead because they had ten men. Not that they offered much with 11 but teams do have game plans for different phases to a game.

Do we really have a top scorer injured? It's not like Gyokeres if he had got injured last year? This season goals have been coming in dribs and drabs from 5 or more players.

Your points seem a bit random against my original post?

Martin180

The League leaders sat back on a lead because they had ten men. Not that they offered much with 11 but teams do have game plans for different phases to a game.

Do we really have a top scorer injured? It's not like Gyokeres if he had got injured last year? This season goals have been coming in dribs and drabs from 5 or more players.

Dribs and drabs ?
we’ve scored 24 goals in our last 10 games

mark82

Slight note that Oxford are not a new team to the league below. This is their 8th consecutive season in the 3rd tier.

SlowerThanPlatt

Just out of curiosity, I have always wondered how much each place is worth in the Premiership. The last time I checked the Championship prize money is worked out differently.
1. Manchester City – £161.3million
2. Arsenal – £159.8million
3. Manchester United – £152.1million
4. Newcastle – £151.7million
5. Liverpool – £151.6million
6. Brighton – £150.2million
7. Aston Villa – £142.1million
8. Tottenham – £134.0million
9. Brentford – £131.5million
10. Fulham – £130.6million
11. Crystal Palace – £128.2million
12. Chelsea – £124.3million
13. Wolves – £123.3million
14. West Ham – £121.0million
15. Bournemouth – £120.4million
16. Nottingham Forest – £116.1million
17. Everton – £113.3million
18. Leicester – £106.1million
19. Leeds – £104.6million
20. Southampton – £100.3million

Astute

Dribs and drabs ?
we’ve scored 24 goals in our last 10 games
And only 10 against. So it isn't as though we're going all out attack and just trying to outscore the other side.

What's more impressive is our form against the top sides. In this run we have played 5 of the top 6 other clubs. 1 defeat, 2 draws and 2 wins. These sides other than Sunderland are on great runs themselves. 9 goals for 5 against.

skybluericoh

And only 10 against. So it isn't as though we're going all out attack and just trying to outscore the other side.

What's more impressive is our form against the top sides. In this run we have played 5 of the top 6 other clubs. 1 defeat, 2 draws and 2 wins. These sides other than Sunderland are on great runs themselves. 9 goals for 5 against.
Also we came back from behind on at least three of them. Earlier in the season we hadn’t won from a losing position

mrtrench

The prize for final position in the Premiership is published online. Here is a link to last season :

From memory, there is no prize by final position in the Championship.

Astute

Also we came back from behind on at least three of them. Earlier in the season we hadn’t won from a losing position
A lot of people don't seem to be taking us seriously yet. The last time I looked Sunderland were slightly lower odds than us. They don't even have a striker and have lost a few games easily recently. I don't mind staying under the radar though.

Robinshio

A lot of people don't seem to be taking us seriously yet. The last time I looked Sunderland were slightly lower odds than us. They don't even have a striker and have lost a few games easily recently. I don't mind staying under the radar though.
Joint 9th favourite with Sunderland for a top 6 finish at 5/2

MikeyMoo

Championship promotion odds​

As of 17/01/23 CCFC given a 9% chance of promotion. 538 has stopped making predictions :( OPTA has CCFC finishing 7th with a 25.9% chance of getting in the playoffs, but that was before the last two games. Others have been updated and predict 6th place - quite a few are predicting 6th place with quite a gap (6 points or so ) to 7th.

Robinshio

Championship promotion odds​

As of 17/01/23 CCFC given a 9% chance of promotion. 538 has stopped making predictions :( OPTA has CCFC finishing 7th with a 25.9% chance of getting in the playoffs, but that was before the last two games. Others have been updated and predict 6th place - quite a few are predicting 6th place with quite a gap (6 points or so ) to 7th.
I wonder what odds you would have got at the last international break ?

Users who are viewing this thread