Panorama - post office scandal (1 Viewer)

Sky Blue Pete

How does this happen?
Why do we allow it to happen?
Why is it taking so long to properly recompense the victims?

Injustice like this so grinds my gears

Grendel

How does this happen?
Why do we allow it to happen?
Why is it taking so long to properly recompense the victims?

Injustice like this so grinds my gears

I’ts a disgraceful episode and the perpetrators remain free - it’s one of the worst miscarriages of Justice in the U.K. but never gets the attention in should

Bugsy

Anything with Royal associated with it, it's more than likely corrupt as fuck

rob9872

This is normally the sort of scandal where people can't wait to stick the knife into the government and blame them for it, yet it's particularly quiet. I wonder 🤔 who the government were when this scandal happened from 99ish on? Oh yeah of course that's why its quiet 🤫 😉

Brighton Sky Blue

Andy Burnham put it best when he said that justice is weighted so heavily in favour of those with the deepest pockets that it's easy for most ordinary people to feel there's no point pursuing it.

Sky Blue Pete

This is normally the sort of scandal where people can't wait to stick the knife into the government and blame them for it, yet it's particularly quiet. I wonder 🤔 who the government were when this scandal happened from 99ish on? Oh yeah of course that's why its quiet 🤫 😉
Fair point

Hertsccfc

I’ts a disgraceful episode and the perpetrators remain free - it’s one of the worst miscarriages of Justice in the U.K. but never gets the attention in should
To be fair it has had quite a lot of coverage. Absolutely appalling though.

duffer

It's a scandal alright, but can you be a bit clearer on the specific role of the Labour government of the time in it?

Were there donors to the Labour party somehow directly benefitting from Post Office incompetence and management malice, perhaps?

I'm all for challenging government corruption and incompetence regardless of who's in power. You're here most days actively supporting a criminal in office, and a government that has literally been handing out multi-billion contracts to its mates.

I'll happily criticise Labour if I can understand what they did wrong in this, let's be honest though, you'll defend this government no matter what.

rob9872

Criminal 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

rob9872

I'm not blaming Blair or his cronies, just pointing out had it been under Tory watch, you and all others would be claiming it was somehow Boris' fault, you can pretend you wouldn't, but we all know different.

duffer

I'm not blaming Blair or his cronies, just pointing out had it been under Tory watch, you and all others would be claiming it was somehow Boris' fault, you can pretend you wouldn't, but we all know different.

So basically you had no point whatsoever. What an absolute waste of time.

Sorry if it hurts you pointing out this government's manifold failings, they're in charge though, own it.

rob9872

Keep on defending him lad, it's just shows for the moral vacuum you are.

'Party of law and order' 😂😂😂
You do understand that an FPN is not a criminal record? Or are you suggesting half the forum are criminals for their driving misdemeanours?

rob9872

So basically you had no point whatsoever. What an absolute waste of time.

Sorry if it hurts you pointing out this government's manifold failings, they're in charge though, own it.
We both know what my point was even with your blind hatred for all things Tory.

clint van damme

That's simply not true.
For example the recent P & O scandal.
We only blame the government for what they're responsible for, which is quite a lot!

And they get praised on the rare occasions they get something right, like the vacinne roll out.
If there was any miniidter involved in this I'd happily see them go to jail along with the executives in charge .
Have you any links showing their involvement?

Sky Blue Pete

I just can’t get my head around the group think of this and the mid staffs hospital stuff where professional people have their lives to be destroyed by other professional people acting criminally and never pay any price

Over 700 convictions

Brighton Sky Blue

I just can’t get my head around the group think of this and the mid staffs hospital stuff where professional people have their lives to be destroyed by other professional people acting criminally and never pay any price

Over 700 convictions

Brother in law was born at Telford. His head got ‘stuck’ and so he was left essentially suffocating for hours until someone took some forceps, pressed them against his skull and forced him out. The mother was denied a Caesarean because the hospital was apparently set a ‘target’ to not carry them out. He came very close to dying as a baby and only didn’t because his dad physically took him out and drove to Alder Hay for proper treatment. Still has epilepsy and major autism likely arising from what happened.

Like a lot of parents who used the hospital and had this or worse it’s too traumatic for them to go back and make a claim.

fernandopartridge

It's been discussed in the Private Eye for years and years but I've never seen it mentioned in any newspaper. It's a disgrace and those wrongly convicted should be greatly compensated.

Sky Blue Pete

Brother in law was born at Telford. His head got ‘stuck’ and so he was left essentially suffocating for hours until someone took some forceps, pressed them against his skull and forced him out. The mother was denied a Caesarean because the hospital was apparently set a ‘target’ to not carry them out. He came very close to dying as a baby and only didn’t because his dad physically took him out and drove to Alder Hay for proper treatment. Still has epilepsy and major autism likely arising from what happened.

Like a lot of parents who used the hospital and had this or worse it’s too traumatic for them to go back and make a claim.
That’s a powerful story and does add a thought I hadn’t considered

All 3 of our births were traumatic but I never thought em or the babies were In danger.

First one she needed an emergency Caesarian as babies heart beat crashed
Second she got caught in the birth canal and they had to use forceps to pull her out
Third induced and immediately realised the chord was strangling the baby so another emergency Caesarian

In other hospitals with other consultants I think we could have had tragic outcomes

We did know the consultant so that helped

Brighton Sky Blue

That’s a powerful story and does add a thought I hadn’t considered

All 3 of our births were traumatic but I never thought em or the babies were In danger.

First one she needed an emergency Caesarian as babies heart beat crashed
Second she got caught in the birth canal and they had to use forceps to pull her out
Third induced and immediately realised the chord was strangling the baby so another emergency Caesarian

In other hospitals with other consultants I think we could have had tragic outcomes

We did know the consultant so that helped

Situations like that Pete the skill of the medical professionals really does decide life or death. In his case he probably wouldn’t be alive if his dad hadn’t taken matters into his own hands which is a chilling thought.

How nobody is going to face charges for what happened in Telford is simply baffling as well as outrageous.

Sky Blue Pete

Situations like that Pete the skill of the medical professionals really does decide life or death. In his case he probably wouldn’t be alive if his dad hadn’t taken matters into his own hands which is a chilling thought.

How nobody is going to face charges for what happened in Telford is simply baffling as well as outrageous.
It is baffling. Don’t get me wrong mistakes happen and sometimes that’s it but when a proposal or practice leads to tragic outcomes and this is understood and still nothing is changed I think criminal negligence should be talked about

Sick Boy

From what I understand the forceps delivery is a lot more common in the UK compared to other countries.

duffer

You do understand that an FPN is not a criminal record? Or are you suggesting half the forum are criminals for their driving misdemeanours?

Did he break the law or not?

Was it the same law that he went on television most nights for weeks, urging the rest of us to comply with, or not?

The same law that even the Queen complied with at the time of a great personal tragedy, or not?

This is not the same as driving over the speed limit mate, and you know it.

You're defending the indefensible because your politics have replaced your morals, like most Tory MPs. You, like them, are a hypocrite.

Party of law of order. Oh dear.

duffer

We both know what my point was even with your blind hatred for all things Tory.

It's not blind hatred, it's based on evidence.

You just don't like to hear it because you can't square the circle of thinking of yourself as a decent person whilst actively supporting a corrupt party led by a liar and criminal.

I can't help you with that, I'm afraid.

Just to return to the point though, one of the big issues with the cases mentioned was limited access to the law for poorer people.

Now I know it's hard to believe, but guess who's been in charge whilst some of the greatest cuts to legal aid have been made?

Gosh, that's a surprise, eh...

Last edited:

Ian1779

You are totally right on this… it’s also important to state that the press gave this virtually no coverage for many, many years which makes it even worse in complicity.

Nick

Administrator
Just watched the itv doc (linked to the drama).

It's absolutely shocking. To add to it, the woman in charge of the post office got honours for her services to the post office.

There should be some of the execs doing prison time and all of the post masters should have their money back and then some.

Sky Blue Pete

The thing that gets me is how communities around the country hung their sub post masters and mistresses out to dry

Horizon, senior managers and government all have huge cases to answer but also normal people do too

why do we turn a blind eye.
why do we only give a shit when it affects our families or friends
Why do we only give a shit about things on tv or in the media
It reflects very badly on all of us this does not specifically us individuals but society

Users who are viewing this thread