Panorama - post office scandal (2 Viewers)

clint van damme

Just watched the itv doc (linked to the drama).

It's absolutely shocking. To add to it, the woman in charge of the post office got honours for her services to the post office.

There should be some of the execs doing prison time and all of the post masters should have their money back and then some.

She should be shot. She's deliberately ruined so many lives.

AJB1983

Ive not seen the documentary or drama, but aware of the story obviously….so maybe what I’m about to say has been mentioned so please comment if I’ve got this wrong… but What I can not fathom is how no-one at the time, be it in the post office or police thought “hang on, there’s 700 postmasters all at it? Not just one or two bad eggs? Is this right? Are we sure it’s not the computers?”

Common sense surely would suggest that something like this couldn’t possibly have happened on such a scale without being a mental co-ordinated serious organised crime issue?

clint van damme

Ive not seen the documentary or drama, but aware of the story obviously….so maybe what I’m about to say has been mentioned so please comment if I’ve got this wrong… but What I can not fathom is how no-one at the time, be it in the post office or police thought “hang on, there’s 700 postmasters all at it? Not just one or two bad eggs? Is this right? Are we sure it’s not the computers?”

Common sense surely would suggest that something like this couldn’t possibly have happened on such a scale without being a mental co-ordinated serious organised crime issue?

They kept telling the individual post masters that they were the only ones it was happening to even though they knew it wasn't the case.
They were protecting their expensive new software package.

rob9872

Be great news for the genuinely 1 or 2 bad eggs that got off with the collective on a technicality. Every cloud 😉👍

Nick

Administrator
They kept telling the individual post masters that they were the only ones it was happening to even though they knew it wasn't the case.

Yeah that's the thing, it was before social media so couldn't just go on the post master group and ask.

It wasn't until that journalist realised he had heard the story somewhere else from people writing to him. (Old school)

clint van damme

Yeah that's the thing, it was before social media so couldn't just go on the post master group and ask.

It wasn't until that journalist realised he had heard the story somewhere else from people writing to him. (Old school)

The thing is, if some little scrote had caused this much misery for so many people there'd be calls to lock him up for life.

Vennells is facing calls to have her CBE taken off her, it fucking stinks.

xcraigx

Anyone who has experience of the post office user interface will know it looks like it was made as part of a GCSE students coursework in the late 90s. Seems the coding was too.

Sky Blue Pete

Absolutely right

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Makes you really angry that they value the reputation of their software package than the actual human beings they employ.

Even then it's mind-boggling stupidity that those high up didn't think that legal proceedings against all these people would end up biting them on the arse. Individuals should be being held accountable for it ever having got to that stage.

clint van damme

Makes you really angry that they value the reputation of their software package than the actual human beings they employ.

Even then it's mind-boggling stupidity that those high up didn't think that legal proceedings against all these people would end up biting them on the arse. Individuals should be being held accountable for it ever having got to that stage.

I agree, though its not really bit them on the arse, they've got away with it.
The wrong accused postmasters still bearing the brunt

SBAndy

My knowledge of this prior to the series just shown was fairly limited, but I sit here wondering why Post Office didn’t just turn on Fujitsu? If you’ve signed a contract/licence with them which (unless added for dramatic effect) includes their in-house maintenance and then it comes to light that those IT workers may be acting nefariously, then surely you’d be having them in court as well.

CCfC2023

Now its Royal Mails turn after the last 18 months of dispute , Just look up Simon Thompson at the select committee on Youtube .

Maybe there will be an ITV show in 10-15 years time .

clint van damme

My knowledge of this prior to the series just shown was fairly limited, but I sit here wondering why Post Office didn’t just turn on Fujitsu? If you’ve signed a contract/licence with them which (unless added for dramatic effect) includes their in-house maintenance and then it comes to light that those IT workers may be acting nefariously, then surely you’d be having them in court as well.

Because governments and corporations don't turn on each other, they punch down and victimise the little man and woman.

fernandopartridge

The contract was probably a load of shite like many major IT ones are

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

tisza

Post office has spent over 100 million defending these cases when it was obvious they knew things were wrong.
Ruined people's reputations and lives. There's been bankruptcies, jail time and suicides.
Inevitable there's been cover-ups and other illegal practices with various parties trying to hide the truth. Those guilty should be facing prison.

tisza

The investigating and legal team at the Post Office were on bonuses based on the amount they screwed out of the sub-postmasters
Whoever devised that scheme should be on criminal charges alongside plenty of others at the Post Office & Fujitsu
Bonus schemes like this tend to mean proper oversight goes out the window

JAM See

I'll not be signing this.

Petitions like this are scapegoating individuals, as if the concept of "Empire" based honours are somehow still worth something.

The whole empire based system is stupid and should be scrapped.

I'll sign a petition for that.

*Edit : Alan Bates turned down an "honour" this year. Fair play to the man.

Sky Blue Pete

I'll not be signing this.

Petitions like this are scapegoating individuals, as if the concept of "Empire" based honours are somehow still worth something.

The whole empire based system is stupid and should be scrapped.

I'll sign a petition for that.
Do so then

Hertsccfc

Pretty bleak how the general public doesn’t really start to demand accountability until ITV makes a five-part primetime drama about something.
It shouldn't need the general public to demand action.

Problem is most people say they want less regulation and oversight of what organisations do. Then when something like this happens they expect something to be done.

JAM See

Pretty bleak how the general public doesn’t really start to demand accountability until ITV makes a five-part primetime drama about something.
T'was ever the same.

Google "Cathy come home effect"

Drama can reach places that facts alone cannot.

See also Schindler's List.

tisza

Public inquiry was originally supposed to report its findings in 2022 but hasn't done so. Supposedly results will be published soon then it will be a potential media feeding frenzy.

Astute

Wife binge watched this last night. I was hooked after 10 minutes.

The main part missed by most is those who should be keeping an eye on things like this are also the owners. So the owners want it kept quiet. The British government and Post Office have been able to keep it quiet for years by making people sign disclaimers.

But now with the outcry and courts being involved they will have to be, and will be, impartial. This is a lot bigger than most could imagine. There's going to be some big names involved. Two different governments in place. Is that why neither of them are campaigning for justice?

Fraud is a serious crime. Can come with a long sentence. And worse has happened. If people from the Post Office and governments don't get long prison sentences it will show how corrupt the system is. How can someone get time for an alleged theft without proof when the people making up the evidence get less?

Users who are viewing this thread