Paulo Di Canio (3 Viewers)

RoboCCFC90

Di Canio? As right-wing as they come so a no from me. He wouldn't come here with SISU anyway.

But the reliable Wikipedia says he was "Second Striker" or a "Playmaker" not right wing!

Tobias Fünke

For me, Di Canio who has previously admitted being a fascist to the Italian press, is as welcome at Coventry as were the bombs that the fascists delivered to our city in 1940 and killed members of my mother's family.

I don't agree with politics in football but there's something I just woudln't be comfortable with were he to become the manager.

Colonel Mustard

I couldn't care less about DiCanio's political beliefs. I thought we in this country lived in a democracy where we are free to support whichever political party we like? I guess this is true as long as you pick the right party. Democracy eh?

"Oi, we is entitled to our opinion!"

Such a miserable, hackneyed argument. We do have a democracy, and he is free to support whichever party he likes without fear of legal recrimination. So don't argue against a false position - it is weak.

ccfctommy

Off Wikipedia

Fascist politics

Since a very early age Di Canio has been a self-proclaimed fascista and has been photographed and videotaped several times giving the controversial Roman salute to Lazio supporters while playing for Lazio.[28]
He created controversy by twice using the gesture to salute Lazio fans, first in a match against arch-rivals A.S. Roma and then against A.S. Livorno Calcio, a club inclined to left-wing politics.[29] Di Canio received a one match game ban after the second event and was fined €7,000,[30] after which he was quoted as saying "I will always salute as I did because it gives me a sense of belonging to my people...I saluted my people with what for me is a sign of belonging to a group that holds true values, values of civility against the standardisation that this society imposes upon us."[31] His salute has been featured on unofficial merchandise sold outside Stadio Olimpico after the ban.[29] Di Canio has also expressed admiration for Mussolini and in his autobiography, praised Mussolini as "basically a very principled, ethical individual" who was "deeply misunderstood".[32][33] On the day of his appointment as manager of Swindon Town, the GMB union terminated their financial backing of around £4,000 per season of the club due to Di Canio's fascist views.[34]
Paolo di Canio however insists he is not racist and has supported anti-racism campaigns.[citation needed]

Tattoos

Di Canio has several tattoos including, on his right biceps, the Latin word "DUX", meaning "leader", or Il Duce in Italian, an antonomasia for Benito Mussolini.[35] He also has a West Ham United tattoo on his left upper arm.[36]
Di Canio also has a tattoo of his father on his chest.[37]

dadgad

Di Canio aint the full ticket. He provides a bit of colour to the otherwise utterly dull world of professional football but his politics stink.

Ashdown1

If you delve into football clubs in many countries you will find that it is quite common for them to have political affinities. I was talking to a waiter in Krakow a few years ago and couldn't believe the tale he told about the Cities two teams, one supported by the working classes and the left wing and one favoured by the police and other right wing factions. No wonder they still have regular wars between supporters !

dongonzalos

Don't start on this issue mate. I tolerate your inane ramblings on minor issues. But this transcends football, so leave it.

Well if you won't tolerate my opinion, I better not have one.

Or maybe not hey.......

Some are of the opinion that anything goes as long as it benefits CCFC, SBT for one.

I am not certain about Torch hence I have asked the question.

Marlon King was another interesting time when this came up.

As I have always said to you Hill if you don't like it don't read it. I would prefer if you didn't.

Last edited:
J

Jack Griffin

So you think Leon Clark is paid less than Clive platt?

I think the club is prepared to pay market rate for players they really want but offer a sub-market rate for players they can take or leave.

hill83

I feel like I might be getting a bit of a reputation for not allowing opinions here.

Of course everyone is entitled to their opinion, but if it's bollocks, based on no evidence, expect it to be challenged.

Edit: and also, saying: 'it's my opinion' or 'everyone is entitled to their opinion' is not a defence for talking shite.
It really isn't.

Last edited:

Mary_Mungo_Midge

His political beliefs - however reprehensible - aren't relevant to a Coventry City forum as he'll never be a Coventry City coach.

We have more chance of getting Barack Obama as next fitness coach

lordsummerisle

I feel like I might be getting a bit of a reputation for not allowing opinions here.

Of course everyone is entitled to their opinion, but if it's bollocks, based on no evidence, expect it to be challenged.

Edit: and also, saying: 'it's my opinion' or 'everyone is entitled to their opinion' is not a defence for talking shite.
It really isn't.

Do you mean CJ "I didn't get where i am today without saying that Coleman improved the team season after season" Parker.

[video=youtube;DC_F-Erxldg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DC_F-Erxldg[/video]

torchomatic

Don't start. Don't bring me into it.

Well if you won't tolerate my opinion, I better not have one.

Or maybe not hey.......

Some are of the opinion that anything goes as long as it benefits CCFC, SBT for one.

I am not certain about Torch hence I have asked the question.

Marlon King was another interesting time when this came up.

As I have always said to you Hill if you don't like it don't read it. I would prefer if you didn't.

dongonzalos

It really isn't.

Can you challenge yourself for bollox speaking

dongonzalos

Feel free mate. Challenge away. I expect it.

Well I think it is rubbish for you to say you won't tolerate someone.

Making a point that those who say anything goes as long as it improves CCFC such as Grendel did and SBT did.
To turn round now and say not sure about Di Canio's politics

I thought Torch said the same as Grendel and SBT on the matter, but I wasn't certain hence the question.

Grendel

This is why there is so much hypocrisy and moral guff around about ACL. Fact is if SISU were popular the club was doing well or the owners were a more friendly face then no one would side with ACL at all. Its hypocrisy.

If Di Caneo did well were he here (he won't be) he would be "misunderstood" "a character" "someone with passion".

He isn't. He is a tempestuous bully with extreme unsavoury views. I would not go to another game if he was here.

hill83

Well I think it is rubbish for you to say you won't tolerate someone.

Making a point that those who say anything goes as long as it improves CCFC such as Grendel did and SBT did.
To turn round now and say not sure about Di Canio's politics

I thought Torch said the same as Grendel and SBT on the matter, but I wasn't certain hence the question.

I think you were trying to be smug by asking the question and are now pretending it was genuine.

I do tolerate you. I genuinely look for your posts. You are clearly city through and through. It just happens that I disagree with you more often than not, as I'm sure people do with me. Occasionally I call you out, not all of the time. That's about it really.

dongonzalos

Originally Posted by hill83:
The only people who will vote Nimely over King are the 'stay away' moral high horse brigade from last season.

But like you say this transcends football unlike beating up women.

Mucca Mad Boys

Di Canio aint the full ticket. He provides a bit of colour to the otherwise utterly dull world of professional football but his politics stink.

No one in L1 is, in fact, not many managers are the 'full ticket'.

hill83

The only people who will vote Nimely over King are the 'stay away' moral high horse brigade from last season.

There's a post earlier in this thread that explains this.
The gist of it being, King served his time.
Di Canios entire being is facsism.

None of it will stop me going, so it doesn't quite fit, but good find.

Grendel

I didn't want King at the club either -- fact is most will put up with anything if the football club does well. If we were doing well no-one would give a stuff about ACL and the charity.

So there is always hypocrisy but this is by degrees isn't it? Wouldn't have wanted Fred West as manager even if he was the best in the world. Di Caneo in my opinion is a vile individual and on the vile scale is far higher than King so I would press my morality button and stay away.

dongonzalos

It really isn't.

Also to suggest people only give evidenced facts and not their opinion of a football fans forum is utter tripe.

It would be one hell of a boring place

Paulo Di Canio has left Swindon. (Pretty boring stuff)

I evidence what I have evidence for if I don't I say IMO.

Pretty much the standard thing to do on a football forum.

hill83

Also to suggest people only give evidenced facts and not their opinion of a football fans forum is utter tripe.

It would be one hell of a boring place

Paulo Di Canio has left Swindon. (Pretty boring stuff)

I evidence what I have evidence for if I don't I say IMO.

Pretty much the standard thing to do on a football forum.

No doubt. But expect it to be challenged. Exactly as I would expect. What more can I say?
I'm not saying don't say it, as you correctly say, that would be boring. But don't get all aggressive and defensive when challenged (not necessarily you)

dongonzalos

There's a post earlier in this thread that explains this.
The gist of it being, King served his time.
Di Canios entire being is facsism.

None of it will stop me going, so it doesn't quite fit, but good find.

King attacked women (he didn't know) not that that makes it any worse twice.

He has without checking exactly but something like 17 convictions

If Paulo could be and was given a prison sentence tomorrow for fascism when he came out in say 3 weeks time.

Would be ok for him to be our manager then?

dongonzalos

I didn't want King at the club either -- fact is most will put up with anything if the football club does well. If we were doing well no-one would give a stuff about ACL and the charity.

So there is always hypocrisy but this is by degrees isn't it? Wouldn't have wanted Fred West as manager even if he was the best in the world. Di Caneo in my opinion is a vile individual and on the vile scale is far higher than King so I would press my morality button and stay away.

I agree Grendel massive hypocrisy

hill83

King attacked women (he didn't know) not that that makes it any worse twice.

He has without checking exactly but something like 17 convictions

If Paulo could be and was given a prison sentence tomorrow for fascism when he came out in say 3 weeks time.

Would be ok for him to be our manager then?

Kings entire political belief isn't hitting women.

Not a direct answer, but it can be worked out.

Nonleagueherewecome

I couldn't care less about DiCanio's political beliefs. I thought we in this country lived in a democracy where we are free to support whichever political party we like? I guess this is true as long as you pick the right party. Democracy eh?

Realist.

Problem being when those political parties directly target, say, another race (BNP)-or in the case of fascism, Democracy itself. These parties don't deserve a democratic voice, as they themselves would act undemocratically.

OyJimmy

It matters that he's a faschist if he won't recruit the best players/ be able to motivate them because of his political beliefs. Didn't matter with Marlon King because he just kicks the ball. It wasn't up to him who we employed.

Users who are viewing this thread