Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jack Griffin

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/59884

Number of signatures: 1,139 already..

Without Fans there is no Football

Responsible department: Department for Culture, Media and Sport

Football is our national game but the interests of fans are being disregarded by club owners and ruling bodies - government action is needed. UK football clubs are not financial franchises: they are rooted in their local communities and are an important part of local identity and heritage. But a new type of club owner is disregarding all that, pricing many people out of the game with inflated ticket and other costs, alienating people by seeking to change clubs’ names, colours and so on. Football's governing bodies are failing to address the situation. We therefore ask that the Department for Culture, Media and Sport Select Committee revisits its work on football governance and illustrates growing problems by undertaking a short Inquiry into one particular club, Coventry City, whose owner has relocated the club from the City of Coventry to Northampton, 35 miles away. This will highlight concerns shared by football fans across the country, and the need for action.

Wow went to 1152 signatures in the few minutes it took me to sign it myself

Last edited by a moderator:

Steve B17

Signed by me, the rest of my family will sign up over the next few days! Already up to 1219 in less than 12 hours. Well done Michael.
Keep circulating to friends, family, work colleagues and other fans groups.
I will post on the Walsall fans forum tonight, that should add 2 more signatures...

James Smith

Can people be compelled to attend though? Not sure that they can although happy to be corrected. If they can't what's the betting the attendances from the invited parties are similar to the responses to the last set of questions sent out by the trust?

Rusty Trombone

Can people be compelled to attend though? Not sure that they can although happy to be corrected. If they can't what's the betting the attendances from the invited parties are similar to the responses to the last set of questions sent out by the trust?

100,000 votes means there may be a debate in the House of Commons, may or may not happen, but at least it raises more awareness.

Skyblueweeman

Contacted my contact at Everton (still to do a couple of other clubs) and tweeted Richard Keys, Noel Whelan, Dion Dublin, Adrian Durham and Danny Baker asking them to share.

C'mon people, we can do this!

WM

Hobo

Signed and delivered.

cloughie

Note the petition is not aimed at SISU only, council members & ACL directors should also be grilled. It makes that clear in the Cov Telegraph story.

how?

Campaign group Keep Cov in Cov (KCIC) has established a petition which could see the likes of Sisu boss Joy Seppala, CCFC chief executive Tim Fisher, Football League chairman Greg Clarke and Coventry City Council leader Ann Lucas face intense questioning from top politicians.

1614 and not yet 12 hours in.

Keep it going SBT members. If each of the 5500 SBT members gets 10 friends and family to sign we are over halfway there.

Sky Blue family...................working together. sounds brilliant.

Captain Dart

It is now 1800 signatures.

@richh87

It is now 1800 signatures.

I sent it to 60-70 people on Facebook that i thought would sign it, plus tweeted it to Arsenal, Cardiff and Hull asking for a retweet.

I can't see it reaching the required 100,000 signatures, but I'll do my bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MichaelCCFC

I sent it to 60-70 people on Facebook that i thought would sign it, plus tweeted it to Arsenal, Cardiff and Hull asking for a retweet.

I can't see it reaching the required 100,000 signatures, but I'll do my bit.

100k is a big ask but when you think there were 60k at the Emirates, 30k at the Ricoh this time last year, some threads on here get into 5 figures, and the vid of half time at the Emirates - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLz-t7o_2vg - has had half a million hits, there's got to be a chance. But it comes down to people not only signing but getting family, friends, people at work and fans at other clubs to sign it too - and nagging them until they do!

Ashdown1

100k is a big ask but when you think there were 60k at the Emirates, 30k at the Ricoh this time last year, some threads on here get into 5 figures, and the vid of half time at the Emirates - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLz-t7o_2vg - has had half a million hits, there's got to be a chance. But it comes down to people not only signing but getting family, friends, people at work and fans at other clubs to sign it too - and nagging them until they do!

Its very doable, how many football supporters regularly go to games every week? 3 Million ? Plus millions of others who are irregular like many of us these days !

I was eleven in 87

Signed and got the moosis to sign as well, let's get this on!!

I for one am glad this is worded as it is, as on a selfish note whilst I am concerned about the governance on football as a whole, I want answers about my club more!

Captain Dart

Passed the 2000 mark now.

Nick

Administrator
Just wanted to confirm before trying to get some signatures that this is aimed at everybody, rather than just club owners? If this does happen and ALL parties are grilled then I'm happy to try and get a few to sign using here etc to get some transparency.

Football is our national game but the interests of fans are being disregarded by club owners and ruling bodies - government action is needed. UK football clubs are not financial franchises: they are rooted in their local communities and are an important part of local identity and heritage. But a new type of club owner is disregarding all that, pricing many people out of the game with inflated ticket and other costs, alienating people by seeking to change clubs’ names, colours and so on. Football's governing bodies are failing to address the situation. We therefore ask that the Department for Culture, Media and Sport Select Committee revisits its work on football governance and illustrates growing problems by undertaking a short Inquiry into one particular club, Coventry City, whose owner has relocated the club from the City of Coventry to Northampton, 35 miles away. This will highlight concerns shared by football fans across the country, and the need for action.

Captain Dart

Just wanted to confirm before trying to get some signatures that this is aimed at everybody, rather than just club owners? If this does happen and ALL parties are grilled then I'm happy to try and get a few to sign using here etc to get some transparency.

http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/coventry-news/campaign-launched-coventry-city-owners-6647988
Campaign group Keep Cov in Cov (KCIC) has established a petition which could see the likes of Sisu boss Joy Seppala, CCFC chief executive Tim Fisher, Football League chairman Greg Clarke and Coventry City Council leader Ann Lucas face intense questioning from top politicians.

Nick

Administrator
I saw it in the CET but there is no mention on the actual petition so just wanted to confirm and then I can try and use this site to help get a few signed to get some transparency. It only mentions owners on there.

James Smith

I saw it in the CET but there is no mention on the actual petition so just wanted to confirm and then I can try and use this site to help get a few signed to get some transparency. It only mentions owners on there.

As I understand it there could be a debate in the commons where the matter is raised but even if all the involved parties are invited to attend and answer questions before a select committee I'm not sure that they can be forced to attend. Does anyone know 100% what the answer is.

Captain Dart

As I understand it there could be a debate in the commons where the matter is raised but even if all the involved parties are invited to attend and answer questions before a select committee I'm not sure that they can be forced to attend. Does anyone know 100% what the answer is.

Powers to force attendance apply to treasury committee, but even Rupert Murdoch didn't say no.
http://www.parliament.uk/business/committees/committees-a-z/commons-select/treasury-committee/role/
The House has given the Committee the power to send for “persons, papers and records”. It therefore has powers to insist upon the attendance of witnesses and the production of papers and other material. These formal powers are rarely used.

SimonGilbert

Telegraph Tea Boy

The select committee would call all parties seen to be involved, not just one particular organisation.

It's true they can't be "forced" to attend. But the fact Rupert Murdoch made a personal appearance speaks volumes about the power of the select committee.

James Smith

The select committee would call all parties seen to be involved, not just one particular organisation.

It's true they can't be "forced" to attend. But the fact Rupert Murdoch made a personal appearance speaks volumes about the power of the select committee.

Thanks, so there is hope that PWKH, Joy, Anne Lucas, Tim, Mark etc. might all feel compelled to turn up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread