Planning permission for a new stadium (1 Viewer)

So lets say Dr Evil AKA Tim Fisher finds a site suitable for a new stadium. I assume some if not all of the planning committee will have a one sided view on this!

They could only refuse planning on planning issues - if the planners made a decision that was in anyway related to this fiasco SISU would appeal and probably win, however they can and probably would put every legal/planning obstacle in their way.

SonofErnie

Tim Fisher has stated that the new stadium will be in the 'Coventry area' which means it's likely to be Warwickshire/Solihull jurisdiction. Whether that improves the odds of getting planning permission is anyone's guess.

It has to be within the city does it not? I thought the FL would only allow the club to play outside the boundaries for a limited amount of time? I could be wrong but this is how I understood it...

Colin1883

If they get planning permission does that mean that will build?

Or just play the waiting game for a couple of years and see if ACL and the Ricoh can survive without them?

Skybluechick

Not a chance they won't want a white elEphant blotting their landscape unless backhanders are given. It will fail planning on transport links parking and access loacl residents won't want it whereever it is! The only way is to upgrade an excisting stadium then planning not so restricted and less likely to fail.

you're an idiot

Correct, however, does it not also have to reflect the needs of the local community? Planning Departments don't just approve based on design and suitability of land, they also have to consider wider issues such as sustainability. It's not sustainable to have two football stadiums in a city with one professional football club.

Correct, however, does it not also have to reflect the needs of the local community? Planning Departments don't just approve based on design and suitability of land, they also have to consider wider issues such as sustainability. It's not sustainable to have two football stadiums in a city with one professional football club.

However if the football club owners do not want to play at the existing venue - then how would this affect the decision, after all the income streams available to CCFC from the RA would not help us regarding the fairplay rules? the council could not refuse it on sustainability issues I do not believe this would be in their interest as it is a private construction project - it would be more likely to be refused on roads. transport, ecological and nimbys.

you're an idiot

<p>
However if the football club owners do not want to play at the existing venue - then how would this affect the decision, after all the income streams available to CCFC from the RA would not help us regarding the fairplay rules? the council could not refuse it on sustainability issues I do not believe this would be in their interest as it is a private construction project - it would be more likely to be refused on roads. transport, ecological and nimbys.
</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
Yes but planning authorities also have to look at the financial sustainability of existing and new builds not just sustainability from an environmental perspective. If there is already a full quota of this type of entertainment facility serving the community it is intended for then they won't permit the build if any more. The councils in Cov and Warks do alot of partnership working and i cant see this being ratified. TFs got a one way ticket to loserville.

bigfatronssba

It certainly wont be on greenbelt land.

SkyBlueHomer

Tim Fisher has stated that the new stadium will be in the 'Coventry area' which means it's likely to be Warwickshire/Solihull jurisdiction. Whether that improves the odds of getting planning permission is anyone's guess.

Possible sites being looked at, include multiple sites in the Ansty area, Baginton & Ryton.

RogerH

I don't think they would have a cat in hell's chance of getting planning permission for a major sports stadium in rural Warwickshire. Finding a site that is not either green belt which would automatically be refused or too close to residential areas is a major headache. Even if they found somewhere, the planning processes, not just local but I believe the Secretary of State would have to approve it as well, plus the Building Control process which involves all the Safety of Sports Grounds legislation would take more than 3 years.

If they do leave Coventry, I believe we should immediately set up a new club. With a modest amount of funding we could gain a couple of promotions, who knows we could be knocking on the door of the League by the time the SISU Arena would be ready. By then what league would SISU FC be playing in ? We could possibly move back into the Ricoh and give SISU FC nothing to come back to. They would have wasted a lot of money for no purpose, the support would have defected to the new, properly run, SISU free club.
It could happen if we want it to.

torchomatic

Any planning document may as well say that the walls will be made of marshmallow with chocolate seats and a marzipan pitch. It ain't gonna happen.

torchomatic

Brighton don't play in Brighton.

stupot07

Rotherham, and Brighton were also allowed to play outside of their respective towns for a temporary period

torchomatic

Isn't the Amex outside Brighton too? A bit like the Ricoh not really being in Coventry.

Possible sites being looked at, include multiple sites in the Ansty area, Baginton & Ryton.

Cannot think of anywhere in Ryton now the old Peugeot has is being built on not sure about Ansty / Baginton. I doubt anybody would want a new stadium near them if they were house owners and the amount of complaints around the required road infrastructure alone would be a nightmare.

skybluesam66

I know a potential site - big enough for a ground - already owned by the club - just outside the city boundaries
You could probably construct something very quickly there - certainly up to the standard of say yeovils Ground -for less than £10m

Ryton - at the training ground

SkyBlueHomer

Cannot think of anywhere in Ryton now the old Peugeot has is being built on not sure about Ansty / Baginton. I doubt anybody would want a new stadium near them if they were house owners and the amount of complaints around the required road infrastructure alone would be a nightmare.

Ryton/Baginton I agree but this is what I've heard, not from on here. A quick look on Google maps gives a rough idea though but as you say old Peugeot is being built on.

Ansty - What about the new Ansty Park or whatever its called just off junction 2/M6/A46 interchange, possibly 1.

italiahorse

Unlikely to get Planning permission in Coventry or Warwickshire.

Dhinsa's_Millions

IMO why would SISU want to do this?

Over 3/4/5 years they will lose more money and unless they invest the club we will go down another division (at least!). The catch is that they won't be able to invest as there won't be any fans to bankroll investment.

Another reason this isn't a feasible idea is why would any investor in SISU give them money to build a new stadium that may never make it to construction!??

Spionkop

The speedway stadium has been mentioned. I live quite near it and you can rest assured I'll be the biggest NIMBY ever if they try it there!

SkyBlueHomer

The speedway stadium has been mentioned. I live quite near it and you can rest assured I'll be the biggest NIMBY ever if they try it there!

I thought 1 reason why the current owner wanted rid was he was unable to get planning permission for expanions he wanted in its current form & with the work to surrounding roads needed I really cannot see how this would even be a starter

I know a potential site - big enough for a ground - already owned by the club - just outside the city boundaries
You could probably construct something very quickly there - certainly up to the standard of say yeovils Ground -for less than £10m

Ryton - at the training ground

So I lived in Ryton from 2000 - 2012 and can tell you that the road infrastructure is a million miles away from what is required. In addition to this the site is not big enough unless you flatten the sports connexion as well. A traffic calming measure was installed on that road last year and the whole place grinds to a hault in rush hour so god only knows what this would look like on a match day!!

There are some positives though.....The blacksmiths would do a good trade and Micky Gynn could walk to work on match day. :D

WFC

Although can always be appealed will also need to fit into the unitary plan which lays out areas assigned for residential, commercial and industrial development.

chiefdave

would planning hold ups play into SISUs hands? they could go back to the FL claiming they're trying to move back but getting resistance at every point. What would the FL do then? I can see the 'you must move back within x number of years' being extended over and over again. why not call their bluff, make them show an agreement to purchase land, plans for the stadium, funds for build etc.

rupert_bear

Fisher is playing a game he knows there is no chance of getting planning permission for anywhere in or near to Coventry. For some reason every couple of weeks or so he reappears and starts teasing supporters with this daft notion. I believe one thing they have to do should they re-buy the football club is pass the FL fit and proper test which includes ten year guarantees over where they play. Ain't gonna happen.

Fisher is playing a game he knows there is no chance of getting planning permission for anywhere in or near to Coventry. For some reason every couple of weeks or so he reappears and starts teasing supporters with this daft notion. I believe one thing they have to do should they re-buy the football club is pass the FL fit and proper test which includes ten year guarantees over where they play. Ain't gonna happen.

I think his problem now is he has lost credibility with the fans which is something he will probably never recover from.

Users who are viewing this thread