Proud (1 Viewer)

WillieStanley

It was so quiet at times yesterday. I'm guessing it was because we all feel a bit battered by everything thats been going on.

During the second half, my daughter asked me why it was so quiet, I responded by saying it only takes one person to make a noise, and she's good at making noise.

She then proceded to shout at the top of her voice "In our Coventry homes" sang it through a few times and then went to the Sky Blue Song.

She turned to me and said "I think that helped" and gave me a hug.

It dawned on me. At 3 years old, she has grasped the core fundamentals of being a supporter. Every time we attacked, she was excited. Genuinely pleased to see a good peice of attack or to see us defend effectively. She may not know the ins and outs of football or have any concept of the off-pitch stuff, but when Carl Baker gets the ball, it's amazing, when The Sky Blues score, its the highight of her day. When we concede her immediate thought "I hope we score again" and when its quiet, she'll sing her anthem.

She's my hero and I'm proud of her. I think we can all take a leaf out of her book on match day.

Essexrobbie

What a lovely story. We could have done with her in the Southend end at wembley today. 30,000 shrimpers out sung and shouted by 10,000 Crewe.

WillieStanley

I can't remember who it was, but last week someone on one of the Sky programmes - it might have been Fantasy Football, or Goals on Sunday said that we all want the premier league to be how it was when we were 10. I'd like to replace the words premier league with football (although it was 1994 when I was 10 so, yeah I'd like the premier league to be how it was then!!).

I love that naivity about the game. That pure excitement and optimism that you get with youth. As of yesterday, I've pledged to be more optimistic about my own match day experience - I'm pretty sure I'll get a lot more value for money!!

Samo

It was so quiet at times yesterday. I'm guessing it was because we all feel a bit battered by everything thats been going on.

During the second half, my daughter asked me why it was so quiet, I responded by saying it only takes one person to make a noise, and she's good at making noise.

She then proceded to shout at the top of her voice "In our Coventry homes" sang it through a few times and then went to the Sky Blue Song.

She turned to me and said "I think that helped" and gave me a hug.

It dawned on me. At 3 years old, she has grasped the core fundamentals of being a supporter. Every time we attacked, she was excited. Genuinely pleased to see a good peice of attack or to see us defend effectively. She may not know the ins and outs of football or have any concept of the off-pitch stuff, but when Carl Baker gets the ball, it's amazing, when The Sky Blues score, its the highight of her day. When we concede her immediate thought "I hope we score again" and when its quiet, she'll sing her anthem.

She's my hero and I'm proud of her. I think we can all take a leaf out of her book on match day.

Really touching post, thank you! That's really what going to the footy should be all about!
Blood 'em young and get 'em ready for the rollercoaster! :p

ccfcdan

Joking aside, thank you for sharing. I'm planning on taking my little man to his first game next season, and I'm hoping he gets the bug! If he don't like it, the missus said she's taking him dancing on Saturdays instead. (god help him)

WillieStanley

Joking aside, thank you for sharing. I'm planning on taking my little man to his first game next season, and I'm hoping he gets the bug! If he don't like it, the missus said she's taking him dancing on Saturdays instead. (god help him)

Haha!!

Well, my girls first football match was the girls FA Cup final at the Ricoh. I then took her to the Norwich pre-season the season before last. She enjoyed it so we took her to about 4 during the relegation season. She started to get upset that I was going without her during that season so I got her a season ticket this year, free for under 7s. I guess the key is to talk her through everything thats going on, then she started to pick up on things. Picking up on things that are interesting to a toddler like long goal kick and throw-ins etc. I don't know what we're going to do in the summer!!

deanocity3

Haha!!

Well, my girls first football match was the girls FA Cup final at the Ricoh. I then took her to the Norwich pre-season the season before last. She enjoyed it so we took her to about 4 during the relegation season. She started to get upset that I was going without her during that season so I got her a season ticket this year, free for under 7s. I guess the key is to talk her through everything thats going on, then she started to pick up on things. Picking up on things that are interesting to a toddler like long goal kick and throw-ins etc. I don't know what we're going to do in the summer!!

play subbuteo

Brighton Sky Blue

I was at Tannadice yesterday watching Dundee Utd v Aberdeen (Mrs BSB supports the latter) and before kick off there were about 6 little mascots having a kick about on the side. Just before Dundee Utd's players went into kit up they all got the mascots together with them for a team photo which was lovely to see.

WS-you should get in touch with the club and see if your daughter could be mascot for the last home game-sure she'd love it!

deanocity3

I was at Tannadice yesterday watching Dundee Utd v Aberdeen (Mrs BSB supports the latter) and before kick off there were about 6 little mascots having a kick about on the side. Just before Dundee Utd's players went into kit up they all got the mascots together with them for a team photo which was lovely to see.

WS-you should get in touch with the club and see if your daughter could be mascot for the last home game-sure she'd love it!

My son would also love to be a mascot he's 24

torchomatic

Great stuff, Willie. My son is six - seven next week - and he's been going since he was three, but it's only really been the last few months that he's really been into it. In fact, he seems to be CCFC mad at the moment. It's such a joy seeing him getting in to it and I'm reminded of when I his age; I was the same, living and breathing the Sky Blues.

Although our Club is in a mess at the moment, for our kids it's just about the game of football, which I'm so envious about.

Brighton Sky Blue

Great stuff, Willie. My son is six - seven next week - and he's been going since he was three, but it's only really been the last few months that he's really been into it. In fact, he seems to be CCFC mad at the moment. It's such a joy seeing him getting in to it and I'm reminded of when I his age; I was the same, living and breathing the Sky Blues.

Although our Club is in a mess at the moment, for our kids it's just about the game of football, which I'm so envious about.

Definitely agree there. Very few around us in the away section yesterday were below 40.

deanocity3

those games for £5 this season must have helped too.
I started doing scrapbooks at that age too.cutting out pics and match reports from CET one scrapbook for each season.
I still have them 1968- 1993

Waldorf

Haha!!

You could try taking her to the cricket. Try explains the LBW rules to her! (And ignore any crude comments from others on this board about legs, wickets etc)

Covstu

I cannot wait until I can take my daughter up to the football, she is 2 so I have a while to wait yet and god knows what position the club would be in another 5 years!!

stupot07

I take my 6 year old....,.hes more interested in eating fruit pastiles and drinking hot chocolate than watching the match but he does keep up with the score!

skybluelee

You could try taking her to the cricket. Try explains the LBW rules to her! (And ignore any crude comments from others on this board about legs, wickets etc)

My 2 and 4 year old girls now instinctively boo when they see an australian cricketer on tv. Makes my heart swell. :)

WillieStanley

Yeah, I've made enquiries but she's too young!! I think 5 is the minimum age!! It's only this season that she realised I didn't actually play for City, no matter how much I told her I didn't!! We were watching highlights together last season - "Oh Daddy there you are!!" David Bell :facepalm:I'm sure Sky Blue Sam knows her - she stalks him whenever he's around!!

7 is a great age to be getting into football. It really reinforces the sense of identity you get from it. I'm convinced there's no other sport like it for that.

This season, I've really rediscovered football and it's through taking her with me.

cloughie

It is always difficult when introducing our children to CCFC yet it always sinks in , as my oldest son now 31 always went with me but then became a bit savy about who it was cool to suppoprt always said he didn't support anyone

Upon his 1st son being born on a christmas day it was featured in his local paper ( Oxf0rd) and was asked what would you like for your your son?

The reply 'to see him play for Coventry City'

It made my day JOB DONE!

Last edited:

Steve.B50

This thread has made me smile and I understand how proud you must feel, as I did once with both my sons in my arms at Villa Park, beating them 0.1. My boys are now 23 and 25 and still Sky Blue.

almost makes me want to have kids...has my missus put you all up to it?!!

Should do some football for a tenner on regular basis next season to get the fan base up again....sure some deal could be worked out for STH's...

Nick

Administrator
I wish it was warmer for the little ones, darent take my daughter while it is so cold :(

She too loves sky blue sam, high kicks, people falling over and what peoples names are and if they are baddies :)

6 Generations

In Fact, this is the most warming and heartfelt post for many a long month.

My kids and grand kids have all been force fed the Sky Blue diet. Most of the time it has been unpalatable.

In recent seasons i've even considered giving them the 'Childline ' number along with their season tickets.

An earlier poster referred to the rollercoaster, and despite everything, i don't think that i would get off even if i could.

For all our differing views on the politics of our club, we all love the 'Sky Blues'. and a collective fan's love for their team is, and always has always will be the one constant.

Respect to all Sky Blue fans everywhere.

PUSB

urbanbushmonkey

Took my nephew to Arlesey, been to quite a few since including a few away games.

He was gutted when I told him I wasn't doing Brentford because I went to the Ice Hockey. He'll be crying his eyes out when I tell him I'm not renewing my season ticket in favour of an Ice Hockey season ticket (he doesn't understand Ice Hockey). Might still take him to the odd game... the alternative is him being raised a bagshite fan.

skybluelee

Took my nephew to Arlesey, been to quite a few since including a few away games.

He was gutted when I told him I wasn't doing Brentford because I went to the Ice Hockey. He'll be crying his eyes out when I tell him I'm not renewing my season ticket in favour of an Ice Hockey season ticket (he doesn't understand Ice Hockey). Might still take him to the odd game... the alternative is him being raised a bagshite fan.

Will you be so keen on ice hockey if the takeover goes through?

Macca

My son isn't remotely interested, he'd rather play the game 10 hours a day! Still that might benefit me yet

WillieStanley

I've got to say... I don't think I understand Ice Hockey!

skybluelee

I have to say that I am completely fine with either of my girls not getting into football, although I will be bringing them to their first games regardless when they are 8, but if they do get into football and don't support Coventry I will be devastated.

The brainwashing has had mixed responses so far - the big one (4) insists on using only sky blue straws when we go to cafes and favours wearing my City beanie hat over her own pink fairy one. I may yet get her hooked.

However, the other one (2) scribbled over the cover of my Doncaster home programme last week, despite me proving its importance by showing her my 30 year collection stored chronologically in boxes, so she may be a tougher nut to to crack.

I know parents shouldn't have favourites...

Users who are viewing this thread