Grendel

Murphy -- 6 not his best game with some poor distrsibution and some indicision
Martin - 6 OK he's a basic centre half but there are plenty in this league
Edge - 6 As above really
Stewart - 7 Looks pretty good at this level
Christie - 8 Looked good and deserved his goal
Bailey - 6 Quiet but effective enough
Moussa -7 energetic and useful
Fleck - 6.5 Dont like halves but this was an 8 in the first half and a 5 in the second
Barton - 7 Best game he has had but still in defensive play struggles
Baker - 5 Anonymous
Ball - 5 The fact the manager prefers him to McDonald says more about McDonald really

stupot07

Murphy 7
Christie 8
Martin 7
Edge 7
Stewart 7
Baker 6
Barton 8 MOTM
Fleck 7
Moussa 7
Bailey 6
Ball 6

par1sons

Baker again gets caught in possession far too many times and his goals this season have masked one or two things. League 1 player yes, championship not a chance.

The edj again a liability. He won 3 headers all game and so often commits way to early. When he's being attacked he's far to easily turned and was guilty of this several times today with Donny almost snatching an equalizer dud to poor basic defending. The edj Is however comfortable when asked to play from the back and never causes me concern in that aspect BUT when he plays long balls STOP IT, YOU GIVE IT AWAY.

Bailey hasn't really stood out since signing his contract

Murphy I don't want to hammer because he's proven me wrong so many times this season, that I like in a player.

Christy I like a lot.

The rest ok

Mucca Mad Boys

Murthy 7 - reliable, made good saves once again.
Christie 7 - scored the goal, which I missed ( :facepalm: ) but played well from then
Martin 6 - solid, made a couple of decent tackles
Edj 6 - looked quite fragile, particularly in the air, but didn't make a terminal error.
Stewart 6 - better than Dickinson, worse than Adams, looks like a player who has played at a high level, decent cover LB
Baker 6
Barton 7 - looked really good in possession, nearly scored a screamer, put his foot in a lot, good selection on Pressley's part.
Bailey 6 - meh, he was good in possession, but not much else, was outshone by Fleck and Barton
Fleck 7 - impressed, he and Barton controlled the tempo well, didn't go missing in either third, impressed, more of the same please!
Moussa 7 - looked a threat, looked good, glad McSheffrey got dropped.
Ball 5 - best shot went out for a throw in.

Fleck and Barton have shattered some myths today against the best away team and a ver potent threat, I'm most pleased for them, I knew they could do it! Just need to get CT4 in there.

Last edited:

Stevec189

We won and yet you you have only oven out 5's and 6's! First half we made Doncaster look like a side in the mid table. We were unlucky not to score a second. Second half we were put under more pressure because we made Donny change he way they played. They went man to man to stop us playing from the back. There passing was woeful more Han ours. There centre acts looked slow and ponderous on the ground where as ours stood up well most of the time!

Ball was magnificent on his own up front. Chased down everything and on his own worried both centre halfs.

It's a real good job our fans don't watch Barcelona or Real Madrid!

shy_tall_knight

Chrisite - MOM was our biggest threat going forward. Barton & fleck both did well in the first half but faded in the second. Barton there is a fine line between confidence and too casual and he needs t master this. baker should have been subbed a lot earlier he had a poor game, created nothing and lost the ball often as well as giving away needless free kicks in dangerous areas. Ball worked very hard but was isolated in that position in that formation. Despite our first half domination created very little, Donny showed a lot more purpose when they attacked in the second half.

Mucca Mad Boys

We won and yet you you have only oven out 5's and 6's! First half we made Doncaster look like a side in the mid table. We were unlucky not to score a second. Second half we were put under more pressure because we made Donny change he way they played. They went man to man to stop us playing from the back. There passing was woeful more Han ours. There centre acts looked slow and ponderous on the ground where as ours stood up well most of the time!

Ball was magnificent on his own up front. Chased down everything and on his own worried both centre halfs.

Ball was shit, Wilson looked much more a potent threat when he was on. His best shot on the penalty spot, give or take a couple of yards, went out for a throw-in! Got bullied by Rob Jones and he shown why he's only started 5 games and not scored yet - disappointing signing!

Glad fans don't pick the team!

We we good, it was more of a solid team effort rather than outstanding individual play.

Stevec189

Chrisite - MOM was our biggest threat going forward. Barton & fleck both did well in the first half but faded in the second. Barton there is a fine line between confidence and too casual and he needs t master this. baker should have been subbed a lot earlier he had a poor game, created nothing and lost the ball often as well as giving away needless free kicks in dangerous areas. Ball worked very hard but was isolated in that position in that formation. Despite our first half domination created very little, Donny showed a lot more purpose when they attacked in the second half.

Agree with most of this. Thought Baker had picked up a knock on his ankle but was looking unfit before this really. Thought Barton played better at Donny just behind the striker but was in first half very effective.

Bit concerned that we don't appear to have a plan B. Donny changed things at alf time but we didn't appear to react. Still good win! PUSB

ampthill_sba

Really pleased with Christie today scoring a great solo effort.

The first half display made Donny look poor.

They dug in well second half and ride the luck but also had chances to double the lead.

Baker showed good skill at times and although he tired I think he did well considering his op recovery time.

Barton was an inspired choice and I think Ball worked hard and although he shot for a throw in, I think he merits a start v Walsall.

Murphy is reliable: best keeper in the division.

Glad McSheffrey dropped.

Hope Wood back soon... Edj could do with developing his aerial prowess by watching Wood.

Stevec189

Ball was shit, Wilson looked much more a potent threat when he was on. His best shot on the penalty spot, give or take a couple of yards, went out for a throw-in! Got bullied by Rob Jones and he shown why he's only started 5 games and not scored yet - disappointing signing!

Glad fans don't pick the team!

We we good, it was more of a solid team effort rather than outstanding individual play.

Wilson was up against one centre half Donny committed one to attack and were chasing the game. Wilson had one shot when in a really good position which went well wide so no better on your way of rating a player! I like Wilson think he has lots of potential but Balll played really well today with no real support apart from Moussa and then not all the time.

Baginton

Murphy 8 couple of great saves
Christie 8.5 lovley goal
Martin 8 solid enough
Edge 7
Stewart 7 did ok, runs down alleys
Barton 8 great game, lovley distribution
Fleck 8 great game, passing
Bailey 8 better, like the player who joined us
Moussa 7 did ok, has had better games
Baker 7, good first half, still losing possesion too easy
Ball 7 tried his best

Willis 7 did ok, good chasing down the short time he was on
Thomas...not on long enough
Bell .........not on long enough

Mucca Mad Boys

Wilson more potent than Ball?!

Wilson did nothing of note but seems to be flavour of the month at the moment.

If we play one up top on Monday then ball should start.

Wilson linked up with Moussa that yielded a way-ward shot, and he nearly used is pace to get a 1 v 1.

I'd personally start Cody, better than both of them.

shmmeee

Murphy - 7: a couple of cracking saves and generally solid in the box.
Christie - 7: scored a great goal and would be an 8 if he didn't keep trying to beat three men rather than get the ball in. Oh and if he could actually put a decent ball in more often than not.
Martin - 6: Solid enough, but some dodgy distribution at times.
Edge - 6: worries me with the ball at his feet.
Stewart - 7: got forward well and defended well. Linked much better with Moussa than Sheff.
Barton - 8: excellent showing for the ball, unlike Jennings, and showed a great range of passing from deep, unlike Jennings. Has added workrate to his game. Should keep his place.
Baker - 6; looked rusty and overran the ball a lot. Not the player of the season were used to seeing and should've come off earlier.
Bailey - 6: OK but I'm not convinced as a forward force.
Fleck - 7: some excellent shape in the first half, drifted inside second and gifted them the wings. Control under pressure and range of passing were outstanding at times and a pearl of a ball for the goal.
Moussa - 6: ran well in the first half and kept shape well. Needed support in the second half and didn't really get it. Needs to improve his shooting from range too.
Ball - 6: did ok with pot service. Ran all game and closed really well. Didn't give their back line a minutes peace.

Subs

Wilson - 6: no service but chased well and made a couple of opportunities for himself. Would like to see him over loanees tbh.
Bell - 5: didn't do anything. Jogged about a bit.
Thomas - 5: came on.

SkyblueDave89

After the past few games glad to see Pressley was brave enough to leave out Jennings & McSheffery good Solid team performance in 1st half & just a few things to work on in the 2nd which would give the team a good solid 90 min performance but it shows that they are working hard in training & listening a far cry from the Thorn days,

Nonleagueherewecome

Murphy-7. Made his (fast-becoming-usual) 2 or 3 stunning saves. Threw the ball brilliantly and swiftly aside from once.
Cyrus-8. Great goal, some superb runs, some very neat passes and a distinct lack of hopeful hoofed crosses from deep. Looks revitalised and his overall game today was as good as I've seen in a while from him.
Stewart-7. Very solid and after picking up some match fitness is now venturing forwards a lot more. End ball didn't quite come off today and he made a couple of great runs off the ball that weren't spotted, but overall a good performance. Is a bit of a "talker" at the back and strikes me as a good experienced pro. Would be great as competition/cover for Adams next season if we're still here.
Martin-7. Defended pretty well, still not sure about using him as the defensive ball-player and still prone to the odd panic-hoof, but was helped greatly by having Barton and sometimes Fleck available right in front of him to do the passing.
Edge-6. Not bad, not as good as the last home game, gave the ball away a few times but played his part in a clean sheet.
Barton-8. Lovely performance, much better with the game in front of him. Can only get better with fitness. Could be a massive player for us.
Fleck-9. Fantastic first half performance during which he dictated play, made the goal and generally led the side with his promtings. Was an absolute revelation in that midfield three. Won several tackles and looked motivated for the first time. Obviously needed a manager who believes in him-I get the feeling his name was probably mentioned during Pressley's job interview. Will get better with match fitness-is that the first time he's completed 90 mins for us? Faded a bit second half but was still involved in play and closed down wholeheartedly, something I never thought I'd say. Was massively helped in that....
Bailey-7 ....did a lot of his running for him. A bit of a revelation again in that role closing down high up the pitch. Gave the ball away a few times but when he kept it simple his distribution was effective. A wholehearted effort more reminiscent of his showings under Robins. Key in breaking up play along with Ball high up the pitch and preventing Donnie from playing out from the back.
Baker-7. Clearly not fully fit and caught in possession a few times, but less than usual. Gets his 7 for those quite stunning dribbles, often coming after he'd won the ball. Worked very hard defensively as ever and was effective in linking with/unleashing Cyrus down the flank.
Moussa-7. Some lovely dribbles, not quite the end product. But fair play to anybody who can run with the ball like that on that pitch. Definitely our best LM option at the moment even if he'd rather play more centrally.
Ball-6. Worked very hard, despite clearly lacking fitness. Was effective at holding the ball up and bringing others into the game. Had one truly awful shot which marks him down. That and his slow turning circle. But still one of his best games for us-can play that "one up front" role in a way that Cody can't.

SUBS
Wilson-6. Usual bag of energy and unexpectedness: has an element of "doesn't know what he's going to do himself, so how can the opposition work it out"! Always feels like there's a chance we're going to score when he comes on. Very quick. A top prospect.
Bell-5. For losing that 50/50 tackle.
Thomas- n/a. Did he even touch the ball? Came on too late to have any impact.

Last edited:

Nonleagueherewecome

Well said Steve, most of my 6's could easily have been 7's, terrific committed team performance. Think we've bagged ourselves a second good manager in a row-slap on the back for Mr. Waggott!

Nonleagueherewecome

Wilson linked up with Moussa that yielded a way-ward shot, and he nearly used is pace to get a 1 v 1.

I'd personally start Cody, better than both of them.

Well if you want Cody playing, you're advocating 442, as he can't play as the one man up top.

Sorry, couldn't resist! :p

motherfunky

Look much better balanced team for not having sheff or Jennings in team. Been saying for a long time if we want to play decent football, Barton and fleck need to start, their control of the ball and passing ability are by far the best in the squad, not always the best defensively, but other players are there for that. Jennings and sheff have no idea what to do when they get the ball. Great win.

Otis

Baker again gets caught in possession far too many times and his goals this season have masked one or two things. League 1 player yes, championship not a chance.

The edj again a liability. He won 3 headers all game and so often commits way to early. When he's being attacked he's far to easily turned and was guilty of this several times today with Donny almost snatching an equalizer dud to poor basic defending. The edj Is however comfortable when asked to play from the back and never causes me concern in that aspect BUT when he plays long balls STOP IT, YOU GIVE IT AWAY.

Bailey hasn't really stood out since signing his contract

Murphy I don't want to hammer because he's proven me wrong so many times this season, that I like in a player.

Christy I like a lot.

The rest ok

Contract? What contract?

Think you mean since his loan has been extended.

I would say he's not been the same player since he's returned from his injury. Before that he was excellent.

Did think he had a decent game yesterday myself mind.

Think one or two may have missed the point re Barton and Fleck though.

They didn't fade in the second half, they were just afforded less space. I thought Donny got it completely wrong first half and they left Fleck and Barton in acres of space to stroke the ball about at will.

When you have players like Fleck and Barton they will kill you all day long if you stand 5 yards off them and let them ping the ball about under no pressure.

I couldn't believe how much time and space they were allowed on the ball.

Second half Donny just pressed much more and closed down and harried and the pair were allowed no time on the ball at all. So, they didn't fade from the game, they were just far less potent as a result of Donny's tactics.

Flynn should have been hauled over the coals for the way he just let us dominate the game under no pressure in that first 45 minutes. Never seen two of our midfielders being afforded so much space in a game this season. Very poor from their manager.

When teams close down and pressurise, Barton and Fleck are a lot less potent. They thrive when they have time and space on the ball.

I dare say they would have continued to dominate had Donny carried on in the same vein. I thought the opposition tactics were shocking in that first 45 mins. We dominated so much.

Not taking anything away from us though. I thought we were excellent. Fluid, crisp, nice passing and good periods of possession.

Be interesting to see if Pressley keeps the same side and if Walsall allow us the same amount of time and space on Monday.

As for Ball? He was magnificent at working hard, closing down space and giving 100% and getting in their faces.

Can't see he offered much more besides that and he was hardly a goal threat all game was he.

Last edited:

speedie87

Murphy- 8 clean sheet, and a couple of good saves, also a couple of saves from off sides.
Christie 8- good goal
Stewart 8 - you can tell he has played a higher level and was getting forward more today too.
Edge 7 his role playing the ball from the back is not to be underestimated, but we did concede a couple of chances second half which I thought were his fault.
Martin 7- solid enough
Barton 8 - first half he was close to a ten, was running the game, not so great second half
Fleck 8 - his best game for us, in the centre of the park! If we are going to play a passing game we have to play our best players on the ball! For those that say they are too lightweight, three words, xavi, iniesta and busquets.
Bailey 7 better than recent weeks but still not as good as before Xmas.
Baker 7- top man coming back so quick was obviously not 100% and should have been taken off ten mins before he was.
Moussa- 8 more like and a away performance from him
Ball 7- much better than McDonald

S

SkyBlue Baker96

I think if we don't get bailey next season....It is will be Conor Thomas playing that holding role or jennings but next seasons midfield potentially will be this...well I hope it is because it excites me.... Moussa, fleck,Thomas,Barton and baker/Wilson < easily be the best midfield in league 1 and one of the best in the championship imo

standupforcity

Murphy 7
Christie 8
Martin 7
Edge 7
Stewart 7
Baker 6
Barton 8 MOTM
Fleck 7
Moussa 7
Bailey 6
Ball 6

Totally agree!! Barton was a joy yesterday, and great to see Fleck having such a good game. Gotta say we made Doncaster look ordinary most of the time.

kingharvest

Amazed at some of the criticism directed at bailey and ball. If they didn't do their job yesterday we wouldn't have won that game.

They were the two players leading the rest of the team into pressing high up the pitch, chasing down the centre halves and pressing in those key areas of the pitch where donny were weak in possession. They did the ugly jobs so well and their on the ball ability was sacrificed to allow baker, moussa, fleck and Barton time and space.

Stunning ignorance by some of our fans sometimes, just like the idiots texting in before the game stating 1 up front was negative and they'd never go again till we played 442. Just can never get over how people can't see the game as a whole and only sees it in its obvious silo's.

stupot07

Contract? What contract?

Think you mean since his loan has been extended.

I would say he's not been the same player since he's returned from his injury. Before that he was excellent.

Did think he had a decent game yesterday myself mind.

Think one or two may have missed the point re Barton and Fleck though.

They didn't fade in the second half, they were just afforded less space. I thought Donny got it completely wrong first half and they left Fleck and Barton in acres of space to stroke the ball about at will.

When you have players like Fleck and Barton they will kill you all day long if you stand 5 yards off them and let them ping the ball about under no pressure.

I couldn't believe how much time and space they were allowed on the ball.

Second half Donny just pressed much more and closed down and harried and the pair were allowed no time on the ball at all. So, they didn't fade from the game, they were just far less potent as a result of Donny's tactics.

Flynn should have been hauled over the coals for the way he just let us dominate the game under no pressure in that first 45 minutes. Never seen two of our midfielders being afforded so much space in a game this season. Very poor from their manager.

When teams close down and pressurise, Barton and Fleck are a lot less potent. They thrive when they have time and space on the ball.

I dare say they would have continued to dominate had Donny carried on in the same vein. I thought the opposition tactics were shocking in that first 45 mins. We dominated so much.

Not taking anything away from us though. I thought we were excellent. Fluid, crisp, nice passing and good periods of possession.

Be interesting to see if Pressley keeps the same side and if Walsall allow us the same amount of time and space on Monday.

As for Ball? He was magnificent at working hard, closing down space and giving 100% and getting in their faces.

Can't see he offered much more besides that and he was hardly a goal threat all game was he.

Spot on Otis. I also think because of our midfield dominance first half a few people are getting a little over excited by the performance. We actually created very few decent opportunities all game.

Not sure how nonleague can give fleck a 9, in fact over 90 mins no one deserved a 9. And I agree it was down to Donny not pressing first half then upping the tempo not allowing our midfield space which nullified Barton and fleck rather than them fading. We saw very little from them second half.

Nonleagueherewecome

Because he was the best player on the pitch by a country mile? Face it, you are biased against Fleck 'cos you love McSheffrey. Why don't you marry him?

TheSnoz

Murphy - 7 - kept us in the game second half - kicking a bit off at times
Christie 9 - possibly his best game for us. Seems to have learnt a trick or two going forward.
Martin - 7 - solid & brave
Edge - 7 - solid & brave - doesn't dominate as he should
Stewart 7 - his experience showed
Barton 7 - lovely feet - takes chances in risky areas - showed a bit of fight, that shot was terrific. So want this kid to do well.
Bailey 8 - did all the scruffy work, must have run miles, pressurising. Put a real shift in.
Fleck 7 (8 for first half) - terrific passing ability, like Bailey he chased and harried and did the 'dirty work.' Made me think again. Better in the middle.
Moussa 6 - worked hard, did the pressurising like the others. Definitely a threat at this level.
Baker - 10 - not for his performance but for turning out ten days after a hernia op. Ran his heart out. Magnificent guy. He shouldn't have been on the pitch - a credit to himself. Very talented player.
Ball 9 - just on effort alone. Put a shift in. Put their defence under constant pressure. He's no Van Persie but he made a difference yesterday.

stupot07

Because he was the best player on the pitch by a country mile? Face it, you are biased against Fleck 'cos you love McSheffrey. Why don't you marry him?

Have you logged in to wrong account by mistake? It's quite a childish reply coming from you.

It seems everyone who posted player ratings on this thread must be biased against fleck as only you had him MOTM and gave higher score than anyone else.

scroobiustom

Baker - 10 - not for his performance but for turning out ten days after a hernia op. Ran his heart out. Magnificent guy. He shouldn't have been on the pitch - a credit to himself. Very talented player.

I agree with the sentiment but his match day performance was not a 10 and in the interest of being fair

Generic THE SUN READER COMMENT: Yeah so he fucking should, all that money he gets paid...

Grendel

If fleck had played the first half as he did the second what rating would he have then?

9 over 90 minutes is typical hyperbole from you.

Nonleagueherewecome

Have you logged in to wrong account by mistake? It's quite a childish reply coming from you.

It seems everyone who posted player ratings on this thread must be biased against fleck as only you had him MOTM and gave higher score than anyone else.

It was deliberately childish, I was trying to wind you up as you sound like a grumpy old man at the moment. I can't believe how negative you are about yesterday!

Users who are viewing this thread