Referee (4 Viewers)

itsabuzzard

100% agree but I think the genie is out
Accept the decisions - check the objective ones quick, goal line tech and offsides but only when it’s foolproof
He ruins it a little with we’ll carry on with 5. Well no the game is called off at 6

Anyway he’s right let the ref and assistants make the decision.

Well said Ange.

MusicDating

Euro 2016 Prediction League Champion!!
There needs to be massive improvements for sure but just taking the Anthony Taylor example...

He was deceived by a player diving or, at best, exaggerating contact. He gave what he saw which on first viewing, live & at full speed seemed reasonable.

The VAR, Jared Gillet looks at it, from multiple angles & in slow motion, decides that there was contact & doesn't even ask Taylor to look again. So whose error is it really? VAR's surely? I won't go into the conflicting VAR protocol which enables this.

The press then create false stories that Taylor has been 'demoted' because of it whilst Gillet referees a PL game & the diving player is being lauded as "clever" for deceiving the official... 🤷🏼‍♂️
I agree Taylor's got stitched up a bit by his VAR colleague, but why did he ref his first championship league game in 6 years if not a 'demotion'?

And they haven't really helped themselves by then giving him the Chelsea v Man C game. They've invited post like this -

Frostie

I agree Taylor's got stitched up a bit by his VAR colleague, but why did he ref his first championship league game in 6 years if not a 'demotion'?

And they haven't really helped themselves by then giving him the Chelsea v Man C game. They've invited post like this -

This fella regularly speaks directly with PGMOL, they confirmed he was not demoted.

Taylor also has a Champions League game this week.

MusicDating

This fella regularly speaks directly with PGMOL, they confirmed he was not demoted.

Taylor also has a Champions League game this week.

Doing his first EFL game in 5 years the week after a major incident was always going to raise eyebrows and you can understand people putting 2 and 2 together. If I was Taylor I'd be annoyed that my bosses haven't ever mentioned any planned rotation or corrected the many apparently incorrect demotion stories.

Frostie

Some kind of weird rotation if you only do your first EFL game after 5 years
Most of the top PL officials only do 1 or 2 per year (excluding big Playoff games etc.) plus Taylor is often refereeing in Europe as well so probably not that unusual. When did Michael Oliver last do a regular EFL game?

SBT

But they are being piled on because they are awful.
Amazing how the pile-on seems to die down on here when the questionable decisions go our way. Don't tell me fans are only really interested in refereeing standards when decisions go against them!

Adge

This is how desperate things have become-advertising on prime time TV.

shmmeee

If it was us attacking and it hadn't been given, this would be all over Cov social media "HOW HAS HE NOT GIVEN THAT?!" etc. It's so boring and tiring. All TV analysis, phone in shows geared around their team being 'robbed' on what is a marginal call. All epitomized by the embarrassment that is Arteta and Arsenal this weekend, releasing a statement about a goal that may well have stayed in, possibly may have been a foul, it was soft but 'seen them given'. Funny there was no mention of the red card Havertz 'could' also have been given. Football has been subjective for 150 odd years, it will always be subjective. Accept that some decisions fall into a grey area.

We really really wouldn’t. I’ve never asked for a pen when there’s blatantly no contact.

Brighton Sky Blue

Calls what he sees is fine by me. Bin VAR, bin endless replays of incidents that cropped up in the sky era with Keys and Grey wanking over minimal contact in the box and declaring it a blatant foul, branding the referee a disgrace which has led us to VAR refereeing games and fucking nauseam which leads us to the same fucking outcome but it takes longer.
Goal line technology can stay though

MalcSB

Amazing how the pile-on seems to die down on here when the questionable decisions go our way. Don't tell me fans are only really interested in refereeing standards when decisions go against them!
We seem to get far more and higher “value” questionable decisions against us.

napolimp

I’d bet that more than half of teams in the league say the same

I disagree with what MalcSB said, but I do think that in recent weeks we've been getting more than our fair share of poor refereeing decisions. Before then it seemed pretty even.

SBT

I disagree with what MalcSB said, but I do think that in recent weeks we've been getting more than our fair share of poor refereeing decisions. Before then it seemed pretty even.
This is more or less how you would expect 50/50 decisions to land, isn’t it?

MalcSB

This is more or less how you would expect 50/50 decisions to land, isn’t it?
If recent weeks have seen more than our fair share of poor decisions and previously it was even, then overall we have had more than our fair share of poor decisions. Which is what I said.

MusicDating

I think the vast majority on here agreed we got away with one at QPR?

David O'Day

Did anyone call for the referee to be demoted or suspended afterwards? I assume so for such a consequential mistake.
he deserved to be, it was an absolutely shocking decision

if any of us fucked up that badly at our work we'd be speaking to the boss

Nuskyblue

Goal line technology can stay though
Yes, yes it can. I'm not apposed to the automated offside thing that they used in the world cup!

I'm actually not apposed to VAR it's just the deployment of it really, in an ideal world you would just use it for absolute howlers.

shmmeee

Feels like offsides and “is the ball over the line” type stuff should be solvable with tech to a good enough standard now. I think beyond that, I’d limit VAR somehow and then push hard that the refs word is final outside of that. Absolute injustices like the pen last game should have some level of in game check available. Whether that’s managed by only using it for pens when the ref isn’t 100%, I don’t know. I don’t know how you can have a bit of VAR without clubs wanting it for everything. Maybe it is best without.

Brighton Sky Blue

Feels like offsides and “is the ball over the line” type stuff should be solvable with tech to a good enough standard now. I think beyond that, I’d limit VAR somehow and then push hard that the refs word is final outside of that. Absolute injustices like the pen last game should have some level of in game check available. Whether that’s managed by only using it for pens when the ref isn’t 100%, I don’t know. I don’t know how you can have a bit of VAR without clubs wanting it for everything. Maybe it is best without.
Would prefer a review system like in other sports, for things like penalty awards and controversial goals.

SBT

Goal-line technology works great, and could presumably be replicated for offsides, although clearly the technology isn’t there yet. But anything that involves a subjective decision can’t be fixed 100% of the time with VAR - all it means is that the ‘wrong’ decision (i.e the one that pisses off one of the two sets of fans involved) just takes longer to make.

If it was up to me I’d get rid of VAR altogether, but now the toys are out of the box it’s very hard to put them away again, and there’s clearly a large portion of fans who actively want the game to be stopped, slowed down, and overturned if they think it might mean more decisions going their way.

Warwickhunt

why do we always get the Premier League referees and assistants when they come down! they are so reliant on VAR they cannot make a decision and we seem to get a bad decision that costs us a goal,

fernandopartridge

Leave offsides out of it, the game worked perfectly well allowing the officials to make a judgement based on their view of the game at the time. Some of the VAR offside decisions are overly scientific for a set of rules designed to be applied by a human contemporaneously.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

shmmeee

Leave offsides out of it, the game worked perfectly well allowing the officials to make a judgement based on their view of the game at the time. Some of the VAR offside decisions are overly scientific for a set of rules designed to be applied by a human contemporaneously.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Yeah but equally feels like something that you could either completely automate or assist a lino with tech.

TBH I’d go back to clear offsides only. Most offsides feel a bit picky. But
Goal-line technology works great, and could presumably be replicated for offsides, although clearly the technology isn’t there yet. But anything that involves a subjective decision can’t be fixed 100% of the time with VAR - all it means is that the ‘wrong’ decision (i.e the one that pisses off one of the two sets of fans involved) just takes longer to make.

If it was up to me I’d get rid of VAR altogether, but now the toys are out of the box it’s very hard to put them away again, and there’s clearly a large portion of fans who actively want the game to be stopped, slowed down, and overturned if they think it might mean more decisions going their way.

Really only pens and red cards TBH as the game is stopped anyway. But then it would just encourage players to complain and hope it’s overturned on review and we probably need players respecting refs a lot more not less.

Reactions: SBT

Adge

Most of the top PL officials only do 1 or 2 per year (excluding big Playoff games etc.) plus Taylor is often refereeing in Europe as well so probably not that unusual. When did Michael Oliver last do a regular EFL game?
Might have been the Playoff final?

pusbccfc

Robins has basically said they've admitted it wasn't a penalty and that these mistakes are adding up

Users who are viewing this thread