Religious intolerance (14 Viewers)

skybluedan

I've been on the beers since 4, so I'm not exactly sober :)

Fair play mate, out on the sesh or just at home man
Is it cold there in cov mate had any snow like

skybluedan

Now where I used to get hot Ukraine , Spanish , Romanian women who want to marry me,
There is a book being smashed into face at the top of the screencalled FREEDOM the book that saves the the world
Wonder what that's about hahahahaha the irony

Astute

Stats astute. Many of my community are professors and believe in god. Just wondered if you had facts rather than your opinion my friend?
So your stats are you know some people in your community?

If you want me to waste my precious time on putting stats together put some together yourself. Then I will know what kind of stats you want.

Astute

Depends who you ask. Nothing in my faith discounts 50% of the population from being priests. Homosexuality is a difficult question for the whole world and our society has a come a long way. I believe love between humans is ok but we all have limits mainly based around age and not animals. Some Christian's say it's against the natural order others believe those that love are showing a part of gods love in the world and it's to be regarded as good.
What do you think
Outdated thinking is my thoughts.

I am not gay. But I know quite a few people who are. This includes neighbours of mine. My wife always wanted a gay son. And as camp as you can get. But so far not one. At least they all fit in with Christianity :shifty:

I respect people and their beliefs. But I don't expect to get lectured about them. And if they try to lecture me they will get my thoughts back. Debate is not a one way conversation.

Astute

Out of interest Pete, on a scale of 0-10, what would you say you believe there is a God? 10 being 100% certain.

Any other posters please answer too :)
2%. Maybe 1%.

Thinking about it can I use fractions?

Astute

10 my friend absolutely it's like rain and sun for me
Great.

I am an African king. I have £10m that I need to get out of the country. If you can give me your bank details I will transfer it over to you. You will get to keep 50% of it.

Otis

I do also find it ironic how George Michael would, to some, be in Hell for his "sinful acts of Homosexuality", yet also carried out some incredibly Christian acts in his time on Earth to people in need, without seeking the media attention or recognition.

How sad, however, that it took his death to realise what a human being he was, rather than what the tabloids putting his personal life out for all to see, were making him out to be.
One of the problems I have too.

You can lead a very bad life, have been a murderer, rapist, or a drug dealer, but if on your death bed you renounce your sins and accept Jesus as your saviour, you will go to heaven.

Do charitable work your entire life, show kindness, generosity of spirit, help others, tend sick children throughout your days, but do not believe in God, you go to hell.

I want to church every Sunday until I was 12. I was head choir boy. I went out with an Evangelist for 6 months. I have read the Bible. It has beautiful passages within its pages, but then too there are contradictions.

I have forever questioned it, because there are so many questions and many things that don't make sense.

It is abundantly clear that the Bible and Quran treat women like second class citizens. Would God seriously ask all women to submit to the will of men?

Clearly a book written by men for men.

Creationism for me is just a nonsense. I think you have to accept evolution, even if you DO believe in God.

The notion that God sat there with his clipboard and pen and went through his plan of which animals would do what and what the pecking order was going to be is ridiculous.

'Right, I will make this one a predator, that one there, no, it will be prey. This one shall walk, swim under water and fly, that one can only fly and walk. This animal I will make intelligent, this one I will make dumb. This animal shall have a lifespan of 50 years, that one, just a couple.'

I have no problem with people believing in God if that is their wish. I know Pete isn't like this, but the people who believe that every word of the Bible is the word of God is just purely delusional.

It is the people that stick rigidly to the words in a book and are immovable in their beliefs that I have a problem with.

There are now many Christians accepting homosexuality and quite rightly so. As science progresses and as centuries pass we learn more about each other and what makes a human, human. Some people are clearly born homosexual. It is not a lifestyle choice for them, just an acceptance of who they truly are.

The world would be a much better place if we could all show more compassion, understanding and acceptance and to not castigate, hate and seek to destroy those who do not believe in the same creed as ourselves.

Another thing I hate is the 'You are all going to hell' venom spewed by preachers. It's the old if you are not with me you are against me.

Why would a loving God send very decent, good people to hell just for not believing in him?

And what about those who are brought up in other faiths. Those who are indoctrinated and never get to hear word of the Christian God? Those who submit to Islam, those who are taught the ways of another faith.

Sometimes it is hard to choose what we are and we are indoctrinated into what we have become.

This is why I don't buy into the burkha and veil as a free choice of women.

You hear Muslim women talk of dressing from head to toe in black, covering their 'modesty' and hiding their faces as a personal choice. For me it is not. It might seem to be to them, but is the result of conditioning over centuries of enforcement and reinforcement and pressure and submitting to will.

Clearly for me an unwritten law made by men to stop other men looking at their women.

Anyway, going off track. For me, there is just so many unanswered questions for me to ever accept that there is a god. Just doesn't make sense to me.

One day I believe science will explain everything. I will be long gone by then though.

Astute

Heaven and hell must be massive places if they are not overcrowded.

Sick Boy

I agree that loving and having sex with someone of the same sex is absolutely natural but society doesn't agree historically or across the world. The church is in a pickle on it too. Pretty convinced it will be similar to slavery hundreds of years ago in generations to come in the church as it already is in western society at large

I would ask though who should decide what's natural and ok rather than criminal and not ok? straight majority? Am I able to do whatever comes naturally to me? Get angry hit someone? Fancy sex grab the person closest to me? Of course not as these things are criminal and seen as not ok but who decides?

The reason that society didn't and doesn't agree is thanks to religion. It'd be interesting to see whether or not those countries that are more religious are less tolerant of homosexuality.

Astute

The reason that society didn't and doesn't agree is thanks to religion. It'd be interesting to see whether or not those countries that are more religious are less tolerant of homosexuality.
What seems to happen is if a woman is classed as a second class citizen homosexuality is frowned upon.

Sick Boy

What seems to happen is if a woman is classed as a second class citizen homosexuality is frowned upon.
It is still very much stigmatised in Italy, especially the south, and women are very much second class citizens there too.

Sky Blue Pete

Outdated thinking is my thoughts.

I am not gay. But I know quite a few people who are. This includes neighbours of mine. My wife always wanted a gay son. And as camp as you can get. But so far not one. At least they all fit in with Christianity :shifty:

I respect people and their beliefs. But I don't expect to get lectured about them. And if they try to lecture me they will get my thoughts back. Debate is not a one way conversation.
Completely agree about debate being two way as you can tell hopefully . I also hope you don't think I am lecturing but I can't really be held responsible for how you perceive my comments. All people fit into Christianity as it's a choice to follow Jesus. Irrespective of lifestyle, race, past hurts or past anything actually

Sick Boy

Completely agree about debate being two way as you can tell hopefully . I also hope you don't think I am lecturing but I can't really be held responsible for how you perceive my comments. All people fit into Christianity as it's a choice to follow Jesus. Irrespective of lifestyle, race, past hurts or past anything actually

What is your view on other religions? Are they all worshipping 'false gods' and going to hell?

Why is there such a problem with child abuse in the church and why has the church tried to cover it up?

Is it right that the church is also one of the richest institutions in the world?

As the Church of England was created by a king, does this mean it is a fake church?

Is it acceptable that men and women condone and even carry out extreme cruelty and mutilation on newborn babies, in the name of religion?

Sky Blue Pete

One of the problems I have too.

You can lead a very bad life, have been a murderer, rapist, or a drug dealer, but if on your death bed you renounce your sins and accept Jesus as your saviour, you will go to heaven.

Do charitable work your entire life, show kindness, generosity of spirit, help others, tend sick children throughout your days, but do not believe in God, you go to hell.

I want to church every Sunday until I was 12. I was head choir boy. I went out with an Evangelist for 6 months. I have read the Bible. It has beautiful passages within its pages, but then too there are contradictions.

I have forever questioned it, because there are so many questions and many things that don't make sense.

It is abundantly clear that the Bible and Quran treat women like second class citizens. Would God seriously ask all women to submit to the will of men?

Clearly a book written by men for men.

Creationism for me is just a nonsense. I think you have to accept evolution, even if you DO believe in God.

The notion that God sat there with his clipboard and pen and went through his plan of which animals would do what and what the pecking order was going to be is ridiculous.

'Right, I will make this one a predator, that one there, no, it will be prey. This one shall walk, swim under water and fly, that one can only fly and walk. This animal I will make intelligent, this one I will make dumb. This animal shall have a lifespan of 50 years, that one, just a couple.'

I have no problem with people believing in God if that is their wish. I know Pete isn't like this, but the people who believe that every word of the Bible is the word of God is just purely delusional.

It is the people that stick rigidly to the words in a book and are immovable in their beliefs that I have a problem with.

There are now many Christians accepting homosexuality and quite rightly so. As science progresses and as centuries pass we learn more about each other and what makes a human, human. Some people are clearly born homosexual. It is not a lifestyle choice for them, just an acceptance of who they truly are.

The world would be a much better place if we could all show more compassion, understanding and acceptance and to not castigate, hate and seek to destroy those who do not believe in the same creed as ourselves.

Another thing I hate is the 'You are all going to hell' venom spewed by preachers. It's the old if you are not with me you are against me.

Why would a loving God send very decent, good people to hell just for not believing in him?

And what about those who are brought up in other faiths. Those who are indoctrinated and never get to hear word of the Christian God? Those who submit to Islam, those who are taught the ways of another faith.

Sometimes it is hard to choose what we are and we are indoctrinated into what we have become.

This is why I don't buy into the burkha and veil as a free choice of women.

You hear Muslim women talk of dressing from head to toe in black, covering their 'modesty' and hiding their faces as a personal choice. For me it is not. It might seem to be to them, but is the result of conditioning over centuries of enforcement and reinforcement and pressure and submitting to will.

Clearly for me an unwritten law made by men to stop other men looking at their women.

Anyway, going off track. For me, there is just so many unanswered questions for me to ever accept that there is a god. Just doesn't make sense to me.

One day I believe science will explain everything. I will be long gone by then though.
I wish I could write with such clarity

I seek to follow the wisdom of change what I can, accept what I can't and learn to tell the difference. Your life is lived with those unanswered question without god, mine is lived with those unanswered questions with god.

Sky Blue Pete

So your stats are you know some people in your community?

If you want me to waste my precious time on putting stats together put some together yourself. Then I will know what kind of stats you want.
It was your point astute. You were asking for facts and then made a point based on your opinion. Absolutely fine but seemed a little hypocritical.

I have no stats. The census is an interesting one with high percentages believing in God and saying they are Christian. Of course in response to you saying highly intelligent people don't believe I will point out the number of close friends who are professors of various different areas who have a strong faith.

Sky Blue Pete

Gosh I think communist Russia had quite a prejudice against homosexuality and it's probably still frowned upon. I am in complete agreement that religion and colonial Christianity has a lot it should apologise for but I think it's wrong to blame religion for everything.

The reason it's dangerous is because it lets people off personal responsibility fir choosing to do the right thing.

Sky Blue Pete

What is your view on other religions? Are they all worshipping 'false gods' and going to hell?

Why is there such a problem with child abuse in the church and why has the church tried to cover it up?

Is it right that the church is also one of the richest institutions in the world?

As the Church of England was created by a king, does this mean it is a fake church?

Is it acceptable that men and women condone and even carry out extreme cruelty and mutilation on newborn babies, in the name of religion?
My opinion is that there is great wisdom in other major religions. For me and my understanding following Jesus is the answer for my life but I cannot believe that a devout Muslim is wrong in the sense you are asking

Child abuse is a problem everywhere the church should have been better and wasn't and the individuals who perpetrated the abuse should be punished as should those that didn't take the right action when confronted with the facts. Human beings are capable of great good but also evil and it's the choices we make that define us. I am in the c of e and the actions taken will ensure it doesn't happen in the future but only if we all play our part. Unfortunately I've had to deal with issues of this nature and it's awful

I think the Catholic Church probably is and it's not a good witness to what it means to follow Jesus with integrity. The community I'm part of are the most generous bunch of people though

The c of e has many problems from its inception and being the state church. I think any organisation that honestly seeks to follow Jesus and bring about Gods kingdom on earth is not a fake church. This kingdom is love, joy, peace etc etc not division, judgement and hate.

I see no reason in any religion to mutliate children by male or female circumcision

Sick Boy

Does that mean that you are part of a manmade church that was setup by a king for his own personal gains? He was hardly a good Christian, was he? The whole notion is utterly ridiculous.

Are you trying to claim that the c of e is a superior church than the Catholic one? Surely the c of e isn't the real church if it was created in order to allow a king to fulfil his lustful desires?

Otis

I wish I could write with such clarity

I seek to follow the wisdom of change what I can, accept what I can't and learn to tell the difference. Your life is lived with those unanswered question without god, mine is lived with those unanswered questions with god.
But surely with every new scientific revelation about the Big Bang, or how mankind came by you must have lots of questions too?

Or do you just ignore it all?

Surely we are all questioning things all the time, every day. If you have questions do you not question?

There is always something to question whether you are religious or not.

Do you never question God about tragedies? 9/11? Child abductions? Rapes? Murders? Wars?

I hear lots of people say they're question their faith when terrible things happen.

Sky Blue Pete

But surely with every new scientific revelation about the Big Bang, or how mankind came by you must have lots of questions too?

Or do you just ignore it all?

Surely we are all questioning things all the time, every day. If you have questions do you not question?

There is always something to question whether you are religious or not.

Do you never question God about tragedies? 9/11? Child abductions? Rapes? Murders? Wars?

I hear lots of people say they're question their faith when terrible things happen.
Sorry that's what I was saying we have the same questions that are impossible to ignore but we seek answers within different world views

Sky Blue Pete

Does that mean that you are part of a manmade church that was setup by a king for his own personal gains? He was hardly a good Christian, was he? The whole notion is utterly ridiculous.

Are you trying to claim that the c of e is a superior church than the Catholic one? Surely the c of e isn't the real church if it was created in order to allow a king to fulfil his lustful desires?
Way more to it than that but fundamentally the church in England was historically the Protestant church. I think there are issues with any institution

I think Henry was a poor moral crusader

Astute

It was your point astute. You were asking for facts and then made a point based on your opinion. Absolutely fine but seemed a little hypocritical.

I have no stats. The census is an interesting one with high percentages believing in God and saying they are Christian. Of course in response to you saying highly intelligent people don't believe I will point out the number of close friends who are professors of various different areas who have a strong faith.
Did you look at the link SB put on here?

It is the line of thought I have had for a bit of time now. Bit of a scary thought if you think about it too hard though.

wingy

Why?
How can God or Jesus speak for me or "Claim ",me?
The same as what right does the "State",own me?

Users who are viewing this thread