Religious intolerance (2 Viewers)

martcov

i have not been rude to ANYONES IDEAS. i have said atheists causing trouble because this thread is full of atheists being rude astute if im being honest.

travel was rude to you, he apologised.

that was last week.

catchingu p on this weekends stuff and its all "oooh prove your fairytale friend exists" etc. just so immature and rude.

i dont see any religious people saying ahah omg you beleive in science which was made up by a man and then proven wrong every few decades and replaced with new facts that must be true" etc etc

once again i say beleive what you beleive but dont be rude to others

its so easy to say" i just cant imagine there is anything like a soul, ithink when you die thats it,lights out" instead of "the body dies,it rots, this is fact! what you are saying is BS,you live in la la land etc

now i have re-read this before i have posted. if anyone disagrees i am truly out of ways to explain human decency to people!

It is not immature to ask about your imaginary friend or fairy tales. Travel keeps telling us about his imaginary friend, but he offers no proof that he exists or is a better imaginary friend than thousands of others that exist now for other people.

It is easier to say that when you die, your body rots and ceases to exist, because it is a provable fact.

To tell people about souls is not provable fact and therefore you will have a job to explain why you may believe in such things. You can't accuse us of being immature- rather rich coming from someone who thinks we have souls.

I say, if there are souls - show me. That is not meant rudely, but if you make claims, you should have facts to back those claims up.

Are you saying that you have no evidence of gods or souls?

Sky Blue Pete

I think it's rude to refer to fairy tales and take a superior attitude but that's ok I'm not responsible for treating people how they treat me I am supposed to treat others how I want them to treat me.

martcov

I think it's rude to refer to fairy tales and take a superior attitude but that's ok I'm not responsible for treating people how they treat me I am supposed to treat others how I want them to treat me.

Just look at what you believe in..... Then think is this real...water into wine, walking on water, raising the dead, coming back from the dead, virgin birth, feeding the 5000 etc. etc. Tell me that is not like a fairy tale.... Do you think I have a superior attitude because I smile at your fairy tales?

Sky Blue Pete

Just look at what you believe in..... Then think is this real...water into wine, walking on water, raising the dead, coming back from the dead, virgin birth, feeding the 5000 etc. etc. Tell me that is not like a fairy tale.... Do you think I have a superior attitude because I smile at your fairy tales?
I believe through faith in what I can't currently see - yes. The superior attitude comes from your assumptions on what I believe to do with science or evolution and how much you think you've thought these things through more than me cause you can't accept things that you cannot prove or see. You want certainty in all things and life doesnt work like that. You are a post enlightenment guy who thinks we will one day solve all of life's puzzles and we won't

wingy

I believe through faith in what I can't currently see - yes. The superior attitude comes from your assumptions on what I believe to do with science or evolution and how much you think you've thought these things through more than me cause you can't accept things that you cannot prove or see. You want certainty in all things and life doesnt work like that. You are a post enlightenment guy who thinks we will one day solve all of life's puzzles and we won't
We possibly could but will likely be extinct before we do. :-(

shmmeee

Question for the religious:

If God is infallible, and God created humans, why did he do such a shit job? Why has man been able to improve on his work with, for example, the knee, which is a terrible piece of engineering? Also, why is he such a c**t? Killing off babies and good people, starving millions, letting blatantly corrupt people make out with tons of cash. And finally, why doesn't he just put an end to it all and show up? I mean it was good enough for the Romans, but not now we have serious species ending threats on the horizon like thermo-nuclear war and climate change?

If there is a God then this has to mean that humans lived at the same time as dinosaurs?

No, no, no. Dinosaurs were his first go, but obviously with no opposable thumbs, couldn't write down the gospel. So he wiped them out like an etch-a-sketch and started again.

Where else would this guy come from?

raptor-jesus4.jpg

shmmeee

When you get in your car to go to work, do you just drive in a random direction with the "faith" that you'll get there eventually?

Or do you rely on the recorded observations of your own and others experience to decide where to go?

Sky Blue Pete

Question for the religious:

If God is infallible, and God created humans, why did he do such a shit job? Why has man been able to improve on his work with, for example, the knee, which is a terrible piece of engineering? Also, why is he such a c**t? Killing off babies and good people, starving millions, letting blatantly corrupt people make out with tons of cash. And finally, why doesn't he just put an end to it all and show up? I mean it was good enough for the Romans, but not now we have serious species ending threats on the horizon like thermo-nuclear war and climate change?

No, no, no. Dinosaurs were his first go, but obviously with no opposable thumbs, couldn't write down the gospel. So he wiped them out like an etch-a-sketch and started again.

Where else would this guy come from?

raptor-jesus4.jpg
Love the picture.
God already showed up 2000 years ago in the bodily form of Jesus.
What's the meaning of life shmmee??

shmmeee

(side note: cheers for being a good sport)

The latter of course. Your point is?
And its people that make this world shit

And God made people, are you questioning his divine wisdom? ;)

My point is that in some areas of your life you are happy to rely on the weight of evidence, why do you draw the distinction where you do?

Edit: I'll expand a little. It's God of the Gaps. I assume you accept, for example, the heliocentric model of the solar system. Or modern medicine. Or the existence of dinosaurs. Because the weight of evidence has convinced you of such. If you accept that human knowledge is constantly expanding, then you must accept that at some point in the future we will disprove other biblical theories.

Religion has to keep changing with accepted evidence and social change. Trevel got very angry when I accused him of being homophobic, but the scripture is pretty clear that God don't like gays, however that doesn't fit with 21st century morals so it's discarded. Once you discard that, you're just choosing which bits you want to believe and that isn't "faith" it's choice and making a distinction between things you find believable and things you don't.

Edit 2: just some concrete examples I'd ask if you agree with:

Timothy 2:12: "I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man, she must be silent."

1 Samuel 15:3: "This is what the Lord Almighty says ... 'Now go and strike Amalek and devote to destruction all that they have. Do not spare them, but kill both man and woman, child and infant, ox and sheep, camel and donkey.' "

Exodus 22:18: "Do not allow a sorceress to live."

Psalm 137: "Happy is he who repays you for what you have done to us / He who seizes your infants and dashes them against the rocks."

Romans 1:27: "In the same way also the men, giving up natural intercourse with women, were consumed with passion for one another. Men committed shameless acts with men and received in their own persons the due penalty for their error."

Ephesians 5:22, "Wives, submit to you husbands as to the Lord"

Peter 2:18: "Slaves, submit yourselves to your masters with all respect, not only to the good and gentle but also to the cruel."

I'd assume you wouldn't agree with the homophobia, witchcraft, misogyny, promotion of slavery, child killing, etc. But why can you discount those passages, what gives you the right?

Last edited:

martcov

Love the picture.
God already showed up 2000 years ago in the bodily form of Jesus.
What's the meaning of life shmmee??

How many years had mankind been on the planet by that time? All civilisations had some of faith based belief because there was little science at the time ( apart from astrology or mathematics and some attempts at medicine ). Anyone discovering something new risked being killed by religious people.

Why send Jesus to a small province city if you had something to say? The story had to be sexed up years after Christ's death to get anyone interested in it. He had to have the usual messiah properties e.g. virgin birth, rising from the, healing people, bringing people back to life.... Without those properties, he couldn't even have competed with existing and previous messiahs and prophets.

Jesus' big break was the Roman emperor who just before his death made Christianity the official state religion- probably to be on the safe side if there was a heaven.

Never looked back. Turned out to be a very profitable business for those in power in the church, and a decent career for the lesser ones.

Murdered, tortured, robbed, pillaged it's way through the centuries and many people still believe the tales and that Jesus talks to them in their head. Amazing really. What a scam.

If God really wanted to speak to the world and convince everyone that he is real, now would be the time. The place would be somewhere in the news...e.g. Syria where many countries and religious nuts are fighting each other.

Send a few bolts of lightning down, Jesus swoops between the warring factions and says peace to all men. The fighters throw their weapons down and embrace each other. The whole world would know within an hour by Facebook and other social media.

Suggest that at your next prayer session. Let me know what Jesus' answer is.

Otis

My question is why did Biblical miracles only 'happen' in Biblical times? The parting of the sea, the loaves and the fishes, Samson etc.

Unbelievably amazing magic tricks (not being disrespectful there, I guess amazing magic would describe them), but nowt since.

Not one piece of documented evidence since. No video footage, picture, nothing tangible for the world to gaze upon.

Seems like God stopped doing the amazing miracles of the Bible during Biblical times and now he only works in 'mysterious ways.'

People still talk of him performing miracles everyday, but there is never any proof to them. Just because a medical condition suddenly heals doesn't make it a miracle. Just because something cannot be explained that doesn't make it a miracle either.

Then on the other side of the coin, what about the people who suffer reverse miracles, those where they die hopeless, painful, horrible deaths, where people pray to God day after day for their suffering to end and for a cure, only to see them die in agony.

God must be listening, he must be seeing and he must be allowing these horrendous things to happen, mustn't he? God is all around us. God so loves us, but when we look for miracles such as the prevention of the extermination of the Jews, or the safe finding of Madeline McCann, or prevention of Daniel Pella being tortured, beaten and starved to death, there are nowhere to be seen.

Just one single tangible miracle and we would all believe.

Astute

I may have slightly pushed astute
Not at all. You have been civilised just about all the time. So what if your views are totally different to mine (and wrong ;) )

Everyone has the right to believe in what they want no matter how crazy it seems to others.

Sky Blue Pete

(side note: cheers for being a good sport)

And God made people, are you questioning his divine wisdom? ;)

I often question divine wisdom - look at the state of our world?

My point is that in some areas of your life you are happy to rely on the weight of evidence, why do you draw the distinction where you do?

I think we all do constantly - there are things that will forever be unexplainable

Edit: I'll expand a little. It's God of the Gaps. I assume you accept, for example, the heliocentric model of the solar system. Or modern medicine. Or the existence of dinosaurs. Because the weight of evidence has convinced you of such. If you accept that human knowledge is constantly expanding, then you must accept that at some point in the future we will disprove other biblical theories

I'm not sure what you mean by biblical theories?? Pretty much all those evidential proofs were from people of faith. Clearly the church at the time was so interested in maintaining its position of power (ironic when you look at the humility revered in Christianity) at the time it refused to accept things (we all know how Galileo was treated)

Religion has to keep changing with accepted evidence and social change. Trevel got very angry when I accused him of being homophobic, but the scripture is pretty clear that God don't like gays, however that doesn't fit with 21st century morals so it's discarded. Once you discard that, you're just choosing which bits you want to believe and that isn't "faith" it's choice and making a distinction between things you find believable and things you don't.

I believe you have to learn to understand the bible as a compendium of books rather than an encyclopaedia full of facts. I'm not alive in my opinions within the Christian faith. The books are written by people inspired by god. I believe that God has always been the same (God loves his creation) but our understanding evolves over time in the light of this eternal truth.

I also accept that we will only ever have a very limited understanding of everything and only by listening and engaging in discussion with others to we increase our understanding.

So the different writing styles written over 3000 years to different sets of people in different situations often seems to be contradictory and requires hermeneutics and contextualisation. You see that as cherry picking as does martcov and I respect that I choose a life making sense of big questions within the narrative of a Christian God that loves us all and you choose a life within a post enlightenment science answers all of life's questions narrative.

Edit 2: just some concrete examples I'd ask if you agree with:

Timothy 2:12: "I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man, she must be silent."

This doesn't fit in the narrative of god loving all people. Of course women should be able to teach

1 Samuel 15:3: "This is what the Lord Almighty says ... 'Now go and strike Amalek and devote to destruction all that they have. Do not spare them, but kill both man and woman, child and infant, ox and sheep, camel and donkey.' "

The Old Testament was written in a different world to point to the coming messiah and also people were, are and seemingly always will be fuckwits to blame some deity for behaving in such a way is as bizarre then as it is now

Exodus 22:18: "Do not allow a sorceress to live."

See above

Psalm 137: "Happy is he who repays you for what you have done to us / He who seizes your infants and dashes them against the rocks."

See above

Romans 1:27: "In the same way also the men, giving up natural intercourse with women, were consumed with passion for one another. Men committed shameless acts with men and received in their own persons the due penalty for their error

There are other passages in the New Testament about men with men. My homosexual Christian friends are fabulous examples of good people who live lives honouring God. I can't continue to believe that the writers of these words understood all we understand about same sec arrractuon. I'm happy to accept I'm ignoring or reinterpreting some scripture with this

Ephesians 5:22, "Wives, submit to you husbands as to the Lord"

The other part of this is husbands submit to your wives as Jesus gave his life for the church-wow!

Submit to one another is the other part

Peter 2:18: "Slaves, submit yourselves to your masters with all respect, not only to the good and gentle but also to the cruel."

Crazy stuff eh? I think we get to deal with crazy situations and how do we make sense of faith in those contexts? You have to do more than just read the words to make sense. You don't have to you just need to if you want to take out the wisdom.

Who was it written to?
Why?
What was the context?
Is there anything we can understand for our lives from the lasagne?
How does it fit with the overall narrative that god so loves the world?

I'd assume you wouldn't agree with the homophobia, witchcraft, misogyny, promotion of slavery, child killing, etc. But why can you discount those passages, what gives you the right?

The bible was written over 3000 years by people like you and me who understood less of the world around them.

I keep saying life is complex cause it is but fundamentally I believe there is meaning beyond the physical and this drives my choices to grow my character in the ways of following Jesus. To seek to grow love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, self control. All good things that give life to those around me rather than take life.

This meaning helps when things are shit and difficult.

What gives you meaning my friends?

Edit - my answers are quoted in your message-sorry

Otis

The bible was written over 3000 years by people like you and me who understood less of the world around them.

I keep saying life is complex cause it is but fundamentally I believe there is meaning beyond the physical and this drives my choices to grow my character in the ways of following Jesus. To seek to grow love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, self control. All good things that give life to those around me rather than take life.

This meaning helps when things are shit and difficult.

What gives you meaning my friends?

A desire to be good and do good. To bring up and raise children and have them lead a fruitful and happy life.

To try and be happy myself and find something to smile about every day. To have unwavering faith that we can make the world a better place.

All sounds rather sickly and naff saying it out loud of course.

I think life can be simple. I think we ourselves make it complicated and difficult.

Sky Blue Pete

My question is why did Biblical miracles only 'happen' in Biblical times? The parting of the sea, the loaves and the fishes, Samson etc.

Unbelievably amazing magic tricks (not being disrespectful there, I guess amazing magic would describe them), but nowt since.

Not one piece of documented evidence since. No video footage, picture, nothing tangible for the world to gaze upon.

Seems like God stopped doing the amazing miracles of the Bible during Biblical times and now he only works in 'mysterious ways.'

People still talk of him performing miracles everyday, but there is never any proof to them. Just because a medical condition suddenly heals doesn't make it a miracle. Just because something cannot be explained that doesn't make it a miracle either.

Then on the other side of the coin, what about the people who suffer reverse miracles, those where they die hopeless, painful, horrible deaths, where people pray to God day after day for their suffering to end and for a cure, only to see them die in agony.

God must be listening, he must be seeing and he must be allowing these horrendous things to happen, mustn't he? God is all around us. God so loves us, but when we look for miracles such as the prevention of the extermination of the Jews, or the safe finding of Madeline McCann, or prevention of Daniel Pella being tortured, beaten and starved to death, there are nowhere to be seen.

Just one single tangible miracle and we would all believe.
I don't think thst last sentence is true. There are clearly times when miracles were and our more prevalent than other times.

I think I need to open my eyes to be aware of Gods presence. I've always thought that most single parents work miracles every day to manage all they do with grace and love. Or the miracle of people getting on with life despite paralysing grief following the death a child or partner. Or the embracing of an enemy and the pursuing of peace after a conflict in Burundi or Rwanda. The human spirit in adversity is pretty miraculous

Miracles are all around us even if physical ones are either non existent or explainable

I could be completely wrong obviously.

What was your ex girlfriends answer??

Sky Blue Pete

A desire to be good and do good. To bring up and raise children and have them lead a fruitful and happy life.

To try and be happy myself and find something to smile about every day. To have unwavering faith that we can make the world a better place.

I think life can be simple. I think we ourselves make it complicated and difficult.
I think that's wonderful mate - brilliant

Otis

I don't think thst last sentence is true. There are clearly times when miracles were and our more prevalent than other times.

I think I need to open my eyes to be aware of Gods presence. I've always thought that most single parents work miracles every day to manage all they do with grace and love. Or the miracle of people getting on with life despite paralysing grief following the death a child or partner. Or the embracing of an enemy and the pursuing of peace after a conflict in Burundi or Rwanda. The human spirit in adversity is pretty miraculous

Miracles are all around us even if physical ones are either non existent or explainable

I could be completely wrong obviously.

What was your ex girlfriends answer??
She didn't have one.

She just said once you let Jesus into you heart you will see and accept.

She also said once you let Jesus into your heart you will always have him in your heart.

We then had a debate about defrocked priests and vicars and those who lost faith. Her answer to that was that they then didn't have Jesus in their heart in the first place.

Found that a bit of a cop out.

Sky Blue Pete

She didn't have one.

She just said once you let Jesus into you heart you will see and accept.

She also said once you let Jesus into your heart you will always have him in your heart.

We then had a debate about defrocked priests and vicars and those who lost faith. Her answer to that was that they then didn't have Jesus in their heart in the first place.

Found that a bit of a cop out.
Think it's a way of holding on to what she's found to help get through this crazy thing called life.

When you don't manage to live the life you want what do you do? Just say try harder? Or do you have some other way of recognising your limitations?

tommydazzle

Science never claims it has the whole truth, in fact it works by testing its theories to destruction - something religion never does. This is why religious belief is arrogant and regressive. If there is something we don't understand (and there are still plenty of mysteries out there) science says we are working on it and we are prepared to change our minds in the light of new evidence whereas religious folk say 'god did it and stop questioning it, there's no need to look any further, he just did ok!' The arrogance also extends to thinking we humans are something special in the universe - after all we are made in his image (has god really got a scrotum and nipples?). Religion is merely organised superstition for folk who can't cope with the pitiless indifference of the universe.......

Anyway that's a bit of a downer so how about an old joke: What's the difference between a double-glazing salesman and a Jehova's Witness?

Nothing - they both arrive uninvited on your doorstep and try to sell you something you can see through.

covcity4life

It is not immature to ask about your imaginary friend or fairy tales. Travel keeps telling us about his imaginary friend, but he offers no proof that he exists or is a better imaginary friend than thousands of others that exist now for other people.

It is easier to say that when you die, your body rots and ceases to exist, because it is a provable fact.

To tell people about souls is not provable fact and therefore you will have a job to explain why you may believe in such things. You can't accuse us of being immature- rather rich coming from someone who thinks we have souls.

I say, if there are souls - show me. That is not meant rudely, but if you make claims, you should have facts to back those claims up.

Are you saying that you have no evidence of gods or souls?

proveable fact lol

i look at the world in a different way. you think you see a physical body rot and its the end. i think world can be much more beyond that.

you carry on thinking because you see a body rot that you have all the answers. but your insistence on being rude about any god that might exist is pathetic. so immature.

so with regret i am putting you on block. may god bless you with a nice personality one day.

take care.

martcov

proveable fact lol

i look at the world in a different way. you think you see a physical body rot and its the end. i think world can be much more beyond that.

you carry on thinking because you see a body rot that you have all the answers. but your insistence on being rude about any god that might exist is pathetic. so immature.

so with regret i am putting you on block. may god bless you with a nice personality one day.

take care.

You think the world is more than we can see. But there is no proof. So it is just fantasy, but if you like that great. I know the body rots away. It is observable. I don't have all the answers and would be pleased to see your provable answers. I cannot be rude about any god that might exist, because as far as we know, there is no god - just fantasies and legends.

Sky Blue Pete

Science never claims it has the whole truth, in fact it works by testing its theories to destruction - something religion never does. This is why religious belief is arrogant and regressive. If there is something we don't understand (and there are still plenty of mysteries out there) science says we are working on it and we are prepared to change our minds in the light of new evidence whereas religious folk say 'god did it and stop questioning it, there's no need to look any further, he just did ok!' The arrogance also extends to thinking we humans are something special in the universe - after all we are made in his image (has god really got a scrotum and nipples?). Religion is merely organised superstition for folk who can't cope with the pitiless indifference of the universe.......

Anyway that's a bit of a downer so how about an old joke: What's the difference between a double-glazing salesman and a Jehova's Witness?

Nothing - they both arrive uninvited on your doorstep and try to sell you something you can see through.
I think it's unfair to say all religious folk just say god did this. It's only very recently (post enlightenment) that science and religion are seen as separate. A study I put on here showed that a majority of scientists see a complementary role in seeking truth and answers to life's mysteries

Otis

To pick up on the God made man in his own image line, there clearly will be life on other planets. Might take hundreds of years and we will all be long gone, but there are millions, if not billions of planets out there. There must be life.

If there is not life on other planets, then why did God make so many planets? For what purpose exactly? Pointless if not.

Can't be for us to inhabit in the future, cos the end of days is coming soon isn't it?

And these aliens on the other planets, they must have been made in God's own image too mustn't they?

If not that must make them all secondary beings and it was only man allowed the privilege.

Is it end of days for all the beings on all the other planets? What did they do wrong to deserve it?

Does each planet have an Adam and Eve and did they all fall into exactly the same trap? If so, that makes God a bit naff at stuff doesn't it?

martcov

I think it's unfair to say all religious folk just say god did this. It's only very recently (post enlightenment) that science and religion are seen as separate. A study I put on here showed that a majority of scientists see a complementary role in seeking truth and answers to life's mysteries

How does that work? You read the bible or qran to find truths about how the world was formed or we came about? Adam and Eve? A 7 day creation by an old man in the sky? Any proof? How can you research further- it is the final word of God? Well that's that with bible and qran. If you try and reinterpret the qran you could end being thrown off a building or being burned to death. Let's stick to science and peer review. Religion has got nothing to offer - no facts, contradicting messages cherry picked by the followers and endless religious wars and persecution.

covcity4life

your kids will be small minded if they take after you

muslims hate dancing

christians are weird

oh my

lifeskyblue

I haven't got involved in this discussion as I find people with faith and those without are as intransigent as each other. No arguments will shift their view one iota. As for me I am an atheist and comfortable with that. I don't try and convince anyone else of my beliefs and why I came to them.
I do believe however that we as humans are naturally spiritual in nature; whether it be in a church, the top of a mountain with wind ripping through our hair, holding our first child or just a quiet contemplative moment.
I just hope that we all can find our inner selves without resorting to harming or ridiculing others. At least, so far, the arguments on this thread haven't deteriorated (in the main) to the level of playground squabble...unlike the usual Sisu v council v Wasps on here.

PUSB
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread