ricoh arena sponsorship (1 Viewer)

covcity4life

apologies if this has already been covered over the last few months but my friends brother is quite high up at ricoh and has said 100% will not be renewing their sponsorship of the ground.

will be weird calling it something else! wonder how this will effect wasps?

Grendel

Italia will be along soon.

The Ricoh haven't actually been sponsoring the stadium formally for two years.

Grendel

Please explain, thestadium still bears their name, are the paying for that privilege

No one actually knows. The deal ended in 2015 and they have been actively trying to find a replacement.

Their initial expectation was absurd if what I heard is true. Second time sponsors always pay less not more as the name sticks - also rugby clubs aren't a big draw.

Captain Dart

talk that Kim Kardashian is a fan and wants to sponsor our next ground

The Kardashian Butts Arena
An 8 acre site surely isn't big enough!

Grendel

Isn't this one of the few cards CCFC can play, stadium sponsorship with us there is surely worth more, 23 leagues 3/4 cup games

I would imagine it annoys the insects like hell that the football club will always have a greater sponsorship attraction to a team top of rugbys premier league.

Greggs

So a 'friends 'brother' who sits high up at the stadium, why should he know anymore than someone who sits in the front row??

OffenhamSkyBlue

I would imagine it annoys the insects like hell that the football club will always have a greater sponsorship attraction to a team top of rugbys premier league.
Which is presumably why so few of them have gone down the sponsorship route, the exception being Saracens' Allianz Park. Even "proper" rugby clubs like Leicester, Northampton, Bath & Gloucester have kept the original names of their grounds.
Trouble (for W*sps) is, the Ricoh doesn't HAVE another name. Revert to Arena 2000??! Gasworks Folly? Or rename it something of their own ("The Nest"?)

Si80

Annoyed? Really? The "insects" who currently have Land Rover as their main kit sponsor?
Yeah they must be really pissed about having a global brand backing them when they could have an estate agents in Cov...

chiefdave

In 2016 WASPS said they had struck a short term extension
Wasps RFC confirm Ricoh Arena naming rights deal
Ricoh were going to let the sponsorship expire and not renew. ACL didn't, and still don't have a new sponsor in place so would have had to double up on work, i.e.: pay once to have all the Ricoh signage removed and then pay again to have the new sponsors put up.

When ACL saw how much that was going to cost they embarked on a face saving exercise where they extended the Ricoh sponsorship for a nominal amount so they didn't have to pay to remove the signage and could state the deal had been extended.

chiefdave

£37 million debt for a Rugby club is insane
There was a discussion about rugby on the radio the other day. Didn't pay it a huge amount of attention but a couple of points being made got my attention.

Apparently all is not well in the Premiership with a dispute looming between the players and the league over changes to the length of the season. The talk was there was serious potential for the players to walk out on strike.

The other point that was made was rugby not being as popular as some might thing. Seems there's an England international coming up that will only be streamed on their website as no broadcaster was prepared to show it.

Joy Division

Annoyed? Really? The "insects" who currently have Land Rover as their main kit sponsor?
Yeah they must be really pissed about having a global brand backing them when they could have an estate agents in Cov...

But how much do Land Rover pay them for sponsorship?

skyblueelephant76

Which is presumably why so few of them have gone down the sponsorship route, the exception being Saracens' Allianz Park. Even "proper" rugby clubs like Leicester, Northampton, Bath & Gloucester have kept the original names of their grounds.
Trouble (for W*sps) is, the Ricoh doesn't HAVE another name. Revert to Arena 2000??! Gasworks Folly? Or rename it something of their own ("The Nest"?)
It does have another name - it was the City of Coventry Stadium during the Olympics.

Liquid Gold

Don't think that's the biggest either Saracens debt grows to £45.1m after £3.98m annual loss I think they rent their ground of the local council as well so don't even have that as an asset.
That's just mad, it's like a premier league football club being a billion in debt. How do you get in that situation knowing full well the income isn't going to happen. I can (sort of) understand it with football clubs because you get to the premier league and you're quids in massively but they are already at the top of their sport, where is the growth? Wasps, to me anyway, look fucked long term even with the Ricoh (maybe because of it) but for Saracens to get in that much debt without even owning land is idiotic.

olderskyblue

Ricoh were going to let the sponsorship expire and not renew. ACL didn't, and still don't have a new sponsor in place so would have had to double up on work, i.e.: pay once to have all the Ricoh signage removed and then pay again to have the new sponsors put up.

When ACL saw how much that was going to cost they embarked on a face saving exercise where they extended the Ricoh sponsorship for a nominal amount so they didn't have to pay to remove the signage and could state the deal had been extended.

Is that all true chief, or your opinion?

OffenhamSkyBlue

It does have another name - it was the City of Coventry Stadium during the Olympics.
True, but it had NEVER been called that beforehand. It was only because Ricoh were not giving backhanders to the International Olympic Committee to have their name used so they had to come up with something neutral and arbitrary

Captain Dart

There was a discussion about rugby on the radio the other day. Didn't pay it a huge amount of attention but a couple of points being made got my attention.

Apparently all is not well in the Premiership with a dispute looming between the players and the league over changes to the length of the season. The talk was there was serious potential for the players to walk out on strike.

The other point that was made was rugby not being as popular as some might thing. Seems there's an England international coming up that will only be streamed on their website as no broadcaster was prepared to show it.

They try their hardest to make that game more popular, but you can't polish a turd.

skybluetony176

That's just mad, it's like a premier league football club being a billion in debt. How do you get in that situation knowing full well the income isn't going to happen. I can (sort of) understand it with football clubs because you get to the premier league and you're quids in massively but they are already at the top of their sport, where is the growth? Wasps, to me anyway, look fucked long term even with the Ricoh (maybe because of it) but for Saracens to get in that much debt without even owning land is idiotic.

It's not just the top flight spending money they haven't got either. Look at Rugby Lions having to start again from the bottom after a dodgy owner with big idea's and small pockets.

SkyBlueScottie

Do you remember when Subaru backed us? If so you will recall that while Subaru adorned our shirts, the sponsorship deal was actually with a local Subaru car dealership.

olderskyblue

That may be correct, but our shirt sponsors over the years haven't been that great have they?

Peugeot (Talbot) and Subaru excepted.

Captain Dart

That may be correct, but our shirt sponsors over the years haven't been that great have they?

Peugeot (Talbot) and Subaru excepted.
Hell, don't forget Granada Bingo!
41uaJMRdLSL._SY300_.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread