Rotherham ratings (1 Viewer)

Nick

Administrator
Generous for me.

That 2nd half was dire. Didn't look like we were 'killing' a game. Looked like we lowered our standards to that of Rotherham. They looked as likely to score in that half as we did and they are the worst team I've seen at CBs in years. Including Maidstone.
We did score

skybluecam

Everyone was willing him on. I think he’s been done a disservice playing such short periods TBH, must mean he never settles. I’d have given him 20 minutes today just to get over it.
Said in the match thread I didn't get it.

Make that sub at 70 mins, give Torp some rest and Andrews gets a few more touches rather than feeling like he's got to do a Maradona the first time he gets the ball to impress.

Nick

Administrator

Make that sub at 70 mins, give Torp some rest and Andrews gets a few more touches rather than feeling like he's got to do a Maradona the first time he gets the ball to impress.

Yeah can't be nice literally getting no time at all. We were 4 nil up, do it sooner.

SBT

Everyone was willing him on. I think he’s been done a disservice playing such short periods TBH, must mean he never settles. I’d have given him 20 minutes today just to get over it.
He looked completely terrified and out of his depth. He also probably should have played against Maidstone.

Martin180

It's a double edged sword though . He comes on for 20 minutes and gets overrun and looks nervous and his confidence could be shot . He's a baby in pro football and tonight was another baby step in his career . Fans were willing him on and a lot of the players made a fuss of him at the end

AOM

Looked a big lad when he came on. One thing I do miss from our lower league days was having to give our academy prospects game time and seeing which could add something to the first team

SeaSeeEffCee

All these ratings are way too high considering we were playing the worst Championship team in history (literally). It was an average performance. I’d give Wright and Eccles a 7, but no one else deserves more than a 5.
Genuine question, what is the point is such woeful trolling? What are you getting out of it?

SBT

Collins 7 Think he mustered one good save on a quiet night

Eccles 8 Such a valuable and under-rated player, very few others can look so comfortable out of position like this
Thomas 7
Latibeaudiere 7
Kitching 8 His passing range was excellent
Bidwell 8 Good corners? What is this sorcery?

Kelly 7 The perfect kind of game for him against a team with zero midfield presence, did the simple stuff well
Torp 6 Oddly quiet but he is going to be a huge player for us
Palmer 7 Played like a Year 11 kid who’d nicked the Year 7s ball, not always in a good way

Wright 8 His ability to act as provider was really impressive
Simms 8 MOTM First touch: awful! Finishing: great!

Godden 7 Great work rate and link-up play, really encouraging
O’Hare 6 I would’ve given him the night off
MVE 6 Feels like there is so much more to come from him
Tavares 7 Nice finish but not sure what else he’s capable of, especially on the ball
Andrews N/A Nice reception from the crowd, doesn’t look anywhere near ready though

shmmeee

The "opinions" on him on here are laughable at best and pathetic at worst . He has been , for two seasons now , a very valuable part of our midfield and adaptable enough to play very well in other roles

I think he’s fine at CM, I’d have him over Kelly there. I just also think he has a higher percentage of good games at RWB and for me looks better.

Martin180

Preface; yes it was Rotherham.. but we all talk about Lati’s versatility being ‘okay’… I thought Eccles did a fuckingreat job tonight. One of our most underrated players for whatever reason.
For the same reason Maddison and Wilson got very grudging praise and were often judged very harshly - Jealousy !
One of our own when it's going well , easy scapegoat when it isn't

messiahrobins

Collins 6
Eccles 8
Latabadieure 8
Thomas 6
Kitching 7
Bidwell 8
Kelly 7
Torp 6
Palmer 7
Wright 7
Simms 9

Subs
Godden 7
MVE 5
Tavares 7
Ohare 5
Andres N/a

messiahrobins

The low ratings for Wright are baffling, I thought he was excellent tonight. If there’s anything we can take away from a game against such poor opposition, it’s that him and Simms can potentially play together up top, which would be huge for us going forward.
Wright-Simms will be a nightmare for defences once they develop a partnership. Whether they actually play as a 2 much is up in the air at the moment given we have EMC coming in and obviously have Sakamoto.
Next season we could potentially go to an old skool 4-4-2 (in some positions below ive put more than one player down to highlight where we have depth)
Collins
MVE Latabadieure/Thomas Kitching Bidwell
Sakamoto Torp/Palmer/Allen Sheaf/Kelly/Eccles EMC
Simms/Tavares Wright/Godden

mmttww

Hot take: it’s his best position.

which is still as a midfielder, amirite?

Arnold Schwarzenegger Smile GIF

wingy

Preface; yes it was Rotherham.. but we all talk about Lati’s versatility being ‘okay’… I thought Eccles did a fuckingreat job tonight. One of our most underrated players for whatever reason.
I agree but I was especially pleased with Lati's desire at the death to get up there and ping that ball into Tavares, excellent!

Jarvo87

Difficult one to rate in some ways given the ‘strength’ of the opponent. More often than not, a thumping first half is followed by a rather tamer second and I guess tonight was similar. In terms of ratings:
Collins and the back 3 put in very professional performances and I thought did their jobs well, 6.5’s all round.

Eccles and Bidwell played well and provided the width, energy and opportunities , 7’s for both

Kelly, 7 - on a very few occasions he dwelt a bit to long but overall did well.
Torp, actually didn’t think it was his strongest performance but did a lot of grunt which can largely go unnoticed on nights like tonight, 6.5

Palmer, personally thought another very good performance. Worked hard, tracked back and carried a threat. My MoM, together wiith ES, 7.5

Wright, some pockets of occasional bright spots, but interlaced with mediocrity 6

Simms, very pleased for him. Left foot, right foot, and header. Second and third goals were excellent. Did what he’s paid to do and pleased to see him coming to the fore, 7.5.

MvE, CoH, Godden all did ok, 6.5’s. Andrew’s and Tavares 6’s although Tavares did show his natural instincts again.

Boicey

Collins 6.5. A lot more defensive confidence with him In. But doesn’t command his box on crosses and always punches.
Eccles 7.5 - a lively performance with some quality. Plays better with a bit more time and space.
Latabadieure 6.5 - worked hard, good team player. Utility player.
Thomas 7.5 - really dug in and put himself about when some others were switching off a bit
Kitching 7 - solid, professional defensive performance why a good eye forward
Bidwell 7 - a solid pro with some good corner taking
Kelly 6.5 - gets control but inevitably passes back or sideways
Torp 6 - very quiet. A bit disappointing against this lot.
Palmer 7 - up for it, some decent skills. But tends to showboat rather than really hurting teams
Wright 6 - tried hard, got roughed up quite a bit. Was a bit clumsy. Didn’t achieve much.
Simms 8.5 - some luck. But very good driving forward play. Needs tighter skills against good teams

Subs
Godden 6.5 - lively and some good touches.
MVE 5.5 - a bit messy and sometimes just stops defensively
Tavares 6.5 - improving and a composed well taken goal.
Ohare 5.5 - messy, poor control. Didn’t hurt them at all.

fatso

The low ratings for Wright are baffling, I thought he was excellent tonight. If there’s anything we can take away from a game against such poor opposition, it’s that him and Simms can potentially play together up top, which would be huge for us going forward.
He was a carthorse who looked good due to unbelievably bad defending.
But fair play he took part in a 5-0 hammering, but it's easy to impress against such poor opposition.
(Any one notice how Simms can't score against teams in the top half of the championship?)

Hertsccfc

I am surprised how low a lot of the ratings are. Yes Rotherham are poor but you can only beat the team you are playing and we had won the match easily by half time. It was a professional performance and similar to how Arsenal demolished Sheffield United. Usually teams who have a big lead at half time take it easy second half.

Thought Kitching and Bidwell were excellent and Simms of course, despite the poor first touch on occasions. Kelly did a great job and Eccles covered the RWB position well. Excellent finish by Tavares too. Torp was quiet but hopefully he is saving himself for some big matches to come.

Good to see Andrews get a few minutes but he would have benefitted from slightly longer. Obviously he looked a bit nervous which shows why we could not possibly have started him against Maidstone.

Last edited:

Essexrobbie

Palmer 9 MOM, outshone o'Hare by a country mile and my only fear is that if someone hasn't already reserved o'hare then they would be looking at Palmer as a more viable option. He's strong and doesn't get knocked off the ball, is always available. He'd be my first name on the team sheet.

Hobo

Mainly 6 and 7 for me. Ok Rotherham are a poor side but they don't normally ship 5 goals. You still have to create the chances and put them away.

When you score so many in the first half it normally tails off in the second (like Arsenal). There are numerous reasons for this.

But we continue to control the game and didn't fall into that trap of conceding a late soft goal because we were out of sight.

We really are followed by some mood Hoovers! Win five nil with really well constructed and smartly taken goals - and it is still oh but, ah but, yes but.....

The records show Rotherham (h) 5-0, 3pts, 8th in the Championship table, 3pts off a place off place with 10 games to go.

Can we not be happy and positive for once? 😊

edgy

A bit futile getting your knickers in a twist over other people's ratings. It's all subjective and we are all allowed opinions, no?

My rough thinking is:

10 - Faultless, World Class, Hyperbole
9- Exceptional
8- Very Good
7- Good
6- Above Average
5- Average
4- Below Average
3- Poor
2- Very Poor
1- Pathetic

So I stand by 7's & 6's first half (Simms maybe pushing an 8) then 5's & 4's second half.

Users who are viewing this thread