Rugby World Cup 2023 (1 Viewer)

SkyBlueSoul

Starts tonight, France v NZ is a brilliant opening game.

I'm doing a long weekend in Lille next month for England v Samoa and Tonga v Romania. Looking forward to it but a lot less excited than I was, just don't see us suddenly finding some form. We'll get out the group but probably bow out in the QF v Australia or Wales.

M&B Stand

Wasps killed any interest I had with rugby, which is a shame cuz I enjoyed it.
Went to Twickenham for a 6 nations game and it was a real occasion.
Now I just think it’s fat posh boys bumping into each other. The fans are weird, a bit like non league football fans, just something not quite right there.

Last edited:

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Ireland's Cup!!!
St Patrick Flag GIF by USA Kilts

SBAndy

Cracker of an opening game but couldn’t imagine trying to play in 30 degree heat. Will be brutal.

duffer

It’s funny becuase of the nuance of a draw made 3 years ago - England have arguably a better chance of making the semis than Ireland.

Ireland, France, NZ and SA all in one half…. wales and Aus in ours

So funnily enough, just before the last world cup I was at this corporate thing relating to data modelling. (I know, I can feel the jealousy from here, the sheer excitement of my jet-set lifestyle, eh.)

Anyway... The software guys had crunched all of the numbers using all of the latest statistical techniques, and come up with NZ as the winners.

They'd also invited an ex-Wasps and England player Simon someone (can't remember his name, but he was 8' 9" and built like a brick shithouse, so we didn't discuss Wasps). 😁

Anyway, nice bloke in truth, and his opinion as someone who been to a world cup, was that you shouldn't understate how much a hard run to the final takes out of a team. On that basis he thought that SA had an easier route and would probably win.

Worth thinking about, perhaps, but if you're considering sticking the mortgage on England because of this, you might want to have a lie down first. 😄

(Edit: Simon Shaw, that's him. Big fella.)

Last edited:

SkyBlueSoul

It’s funny becuase of the nuance of a draw made 3 years ago - England have arguably a better chance of making the semis than Ireland.

Ireland, France, NZ and SA all in one half…. wales and Aus in ours
I debated buying tickets to one of those QFs because you're pretty much guaranteed any of those teams v each other. It'll be amazing but my finances just couldn't stretch that far. It's funny because there's resale tickets going for the other QFs, nothing for those.

oscillatewildly

So if you tackle someone and there is a clash of heads it's a red card but if you jump into someone late at head height it's only a yellow, silly game.
Shock horror! Stop press..... Rugby player involved in bump of heads fiasco involving blood spilt on shirt!
Meanwhile an attempt on taking another's life gets you 10 minutes on the bench.
Corrupt officials at it again.
Oh and the French fucking up with getting fans into the stadium on time for a major sporting event - Who would have thought it?!

Evo1883

Seemed a harsh red to me , although I expected England to lose today on recent form anyway

ccfc922

So a genuine tackle with accidentally clashing heads is a red, but your hip knocking someone in the face who is stood up is a yellow....

CCFCSteve

Very good half from England considering. Two of those drop goals were quality. If they can retain same control second half and nick a win that would be massive. Long way to go though, especially with 14

SkyBlueSoul

Scotland v SA has been a belting game so far. The pass for the 2nd SA try was gorgeous, no look cross field kick.

SkyBlueSoul

Took the time to relax and watch the game tonight, Namibia are getting fucked up. France are playing some stunning stuff but mainly because they're being allowed to (could argue they're taking the piss a bit). 54-0 HT

SkyBlueSoul

Dupont out with a fractured cheekbone after last night, looked nasty when it happened. Best case looks to be 4 weeks out so would be back for the semis if they make it but could be tournament over for him.

SkyBlueSoul

Absolutely, he carries so well. Seems like every time they break forward it's him with the ball.

It's so refreshing to see 2 elite teams trading blows and provide this much entertainment, even with a relatively low scoring game so far.

Users who are viewing this thread