Rugby World Cup (1 Viewer)

Steve.B50

Enjoyed last night but thought we were nervous and things never quite worked but overall very happy. Fiji did there normal game of hard hits and spoiling ball but hope they do get a win over either Australia or wales as they will really stuff Uruguay.
Looking forward to some more games over weekend, happy to watch any games and glad I got a few tickets for some games.
All I need now is 3 points this afternoon and had a great weekend.

lewys33

Last night I thought both teams were average first half. 2nd half was much better but Fiji couldn't last the 80 and England were awesome in the last 15. Brown is absolutely incredible. Vunipola made a massive difference when he came on as well.

Im a Wales fan so losing Halfpenny and Webb was a massive blow. Biggar is a good kicker but Halfpenny would get you points from anywhere. Definitely difficult for us now. Would love the home nations to do well but even with the home advantage I think it will be difficult. People writing Australia off are crazy. I think they will win it. New Zealand generally choke in the big tournament.

Japan though........ Christ. What a performance. South Africa have been dropping off slightly but nobody expected that. Im hoping that Uruguay don't try the same tomorrow (I will be there so best not).

lewys33

Oh and people will obviously say this is the anti-English pro-welsh in me saying this but perfectly valid IMO. Firstly I thought the build up was fantastic - however ironic that England complained about Wales doing similar things in the build up for the 6 nations game.

Also the TMO stuff was ridiculous. 99/100 that Fiji try is given. I have never seen a decision given and then reversed based on a replay on the screen. That is awful. How is that even allowed? If the decision is given it is given. I've never been to a rugby match where replays are allowed to be shown directly after the incident. It gives the people playing the replays more control than the officials IMO. I've never been to a game as well where when the referee goes to TMO the replays are shown on the big screen. That also gives the crowd more power. The right decisions were made in the game though, so I suppose nobody can complain too much - just things I don't agree with.

Steve.B50

Oh and people will obviously say this is the anti-English pro-welsh in me saying this but perfectly valid IMO. Firstly I thought the build up was fantastic - however ironic that England complained about Wales doing similar things in the build up for the 6 nations game.

Also the TMO stuff was ridiculous. 99/100 that Fiji try is given. I have never seen a decision given and then reversed based on a replay on the screen. That is awful. How is that even allowed? If the decision is given it is given. I've never been to a rugby match where replays are allowed to be shown directly after the incident. It gives the people playing the replays more control than the officials IMO. I've never been to a game as well where when the referee goes to TMO the replays are shown on the big screen. That also gives the crowd more power. The right decisions were made in the game though, so I suppose nobody can complain too much - just things I don't agree with.

What's your thoughts on the Japan win?
Enjoyed that but would not want to be playing SA next game!

bringbackrattles

When I heard Japan had beat South Africa I thought it was a wind up,but no it really happened ! That's why I love sport so much as anything can happen and doesn't everyone like a giant killing ?

armybike

Seems that some on here don't understand how as a neutral you could have got caught up in what happened in the game yesterday. They missed a truly fantastic game and a piece of sporting history. The fact that social media went into overdrive after the last try went over proves that people are willing to engage in this way.

armybike

Can the Argies cause another massive upset as they are giving the All Blacks a game so far ?

Would be a nice touch. A couple of upsets in the first weekend to get things of to an interesting start

CJ_covblaze

Said NZ would win by 5 before kick off. Could actually be closer than that!

lewys33

What's your thoughts on the Japan win?
Enjoyed that but would not want to be playing SA next game!

It was absolutely incredible wasn't it? Can't even think of words to describe it.

Game was good today, although first 10 minutes I was worried! They showed the TMO replays again for this game and I just don't agree with it. Strange as to why they are allowing it......

Started driving out of Cardiff and traffic is insane! Turned around so we could watch the NZ game.

Sick Boy

Went through Falmer on the train today with the missus and unfortunately there were quite a few hello henrys about. As far as I could see there appeared to be several overweight middle-aged men damaging signs and trying to pull down banners etc with their wives helping them. Utterly embarrassing.

One of them took offence that we weren't heartily joining in with their public-school boy fun, he even referred to us as 'saffers'. I then had a few choice words for the fat moron. Certainly puts the bollocks today about how much better rugby fans are. Still, as long as they are middle-class/upper middle-class and have a bit of money its perfectly acceptable.

ccfc92

Went through Falmer on the train today with the missus and unfortunately there were quite a few hello henrys about. As far as I could see there appeared to be several overweight middle-aged men damaging signs and trying to pull down banners etc with their wives helping them. Utterly embarrassing.

One of them took offence that we weren't heartily joining in with their public-school boy fun, he even referred to us as 'saffers'. I then had a few choice words for the fat moron. Certainly puts the bollocks today about how much better rugby fans are. Still, as long as they are middle-class/upper middle-class and have a bit of money its perfectly acceptable.

Have to agree with you here. When it's "the Rugby lads", it's acceptable.

We have a lot of Rugby teams out on the town here in Bournemouth, and although some of it is good fun, it can easily turn into embarrassing, over the top and sometimes violent scenes.

lewys33

Nothing like a good stereotype for you to have a little tug over hey chap.

armybike

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/huge-brawl-erupts-train-involving-6491725

Steve.B50

No idea where this thread is going but I know if England can win Saturday and another 3 points for the City it will make my week again.
Last night I met Gavin Hastings, I know he is a Scot but he was a real character and commenting on how impressed he was with local julior sport in the area.
He had visited the Ricoh and asked how the City were doing as he had seen them play in the past.

Like all sports Rugby has its issues but still feel that Football could learn from certain aspects such as respect and loyalty. In my view Rugby and Football can work together.

Terry Gibson's perm

No idea where this thread is going but I know if England can win Saturday and another 3 points for the City it will make my week again.
Last night I met Gavin Hastings, I know he is a Scot but he was a real character and commenting on how impressed he was with local julior sport in the area.
He had visited the Ricoh and asked how the City were doing as he had seen them play in the past.

Like all sports Rugby has its issues but still feel that Football could learn from certain aspects such as respect and loyalty. In my view Rugby and Football can work together.

Steve we hear is this all the time about what football can learn from rugby I would say that it should be the other way around as football is the worlds greatest sport loved and watched by billions and is easy for the masses to play anywhere just get a ball and jumpers, Rugby isn't in the same league a minority sport with over complicated rules could you imagine a little boy in Africa rounding up 30 mates to play rugby?

From the little knowledge of the game that I have and the constant going on about it from rugby fans they seem to respect the ref but not sure on the loyalty bit.

Juggernaut

Love how people say Rugby players aren't thugs because they respect the ref. The very next minute they are raking the eyes of their opponents and stomping all over their bodies.

armybike

Steve we hear is this all the time about what football can learn from rugby I would say that it should be the other way around as football is the worlds greatest sport loved and watched by billions and is easy for the masses to play anywhere just get a ball and jumpers, Rugby isn't in the same league a minority sport with over complicated rules could you imagine a little boy in Africa rounding up 30 mates to play rugby?

From the little knowledge of the game that I have and the constant going on about it from rugby fans they seem to respect the ref but not sure on the loyalty bit.

So what can rugby learn from football?

Pay players £100k a week? Be a totally fanny if another player brushes by you? Roll around like you've been snipered? Crowd the ref? Act like a petulant child if given a card? Have perfectly groomed hair? Segregate the fans because of somes inability to act like adults? Stop drinking whilst watching?

lewys33

Love how people say Rugby players aren't thugs because they respect the ref. The very next minute they are raking the eyes of their opponents and stomping all over their bodies.

Who says they are not thugs? They aren't actually gentlemen as the saying goes you know, don't take things too seriously. As for your next point - people do bad things in all sports. The difference with rugby is if they are cited for doing something wrong the punishments in rugby are far greater than football.

Covstu

You just cannot compare the two in my opinion, Football players have no loyalty but thats because they have more options to better their careers financially. Rugby doesnt have this issue apart from in France, oh and look at English players chasing the coin there now also. They are all the same as they have short careers and they need to maximise their earnings as a result and to be honest i do not decry anyone for that.

The ref - I agree with Rugby on this one, it should only be the captain that speaks to the ref
Video replays - Watching England v Samoa was an absolute bore given the volume of stoppages to watch the tele. If this is what this will bring to football, then no thanks. It might be needed in Rugby given how congested vertually each try is but this is not the case in football and therefore no needed.
Physicality - Two different games so cannot be compared. They all all well tuned atheletes but in different ways. The diving issue needs to be addressed as much as the gouging needs to be sorted in Rugby. There is an apparent drug issue in Rugby which gets ignored too.
Fans - Unfortunately football has a reputatation over the years which it will always be tarred with, in reality there are rarely issues in the English game apart from some isolated incidents. Football atmopshere is so much better than Rugby in my opinion but i am sure a Rugby fan would disagree as much as a Snooker fan enjoys the library esque silence. It works in football. You will get idiots no matter what sport you watch.
Drinking in games - Lets face it this is really why this subject comes up time and time again isnt it! I think they should give football fans (or clubs) this option. Simialr to extending drinking hours at pubs which has little to no impact from all of the concerns. People would drink through the game but would probably drink about the same as they would currently, they just wont neck 2-3 pints at half time.

lewys33

I'd be surprised if people still don't consider Australia a serious threat after today's game. They already look good and it is only half time.

Vigornian

"You just cannot compare the two in my opinion, Football players have no loyalty but thats because they have more options to better their careers financially. Rugby doesnt have this issue apart from in France, oh and look at English players chasing the coin there now also. "

Very few English players 'chase the coin' in France, because England do not pick players based in other countries. The only two France-based players who would be in with a shout for England are Steffon Armitage (Toulon ) and Nick Abendanon (Clermont-Auvergne). Usually, English players go there towards the end of their careers. Wilkinson, Sackey, Nick Kennedy, Simon Shaw. At any time, only a handful of Englishmen are playing in the Top 14.

The salary cap means hardly any Premiership player will earn much more than £250-300K per annum. Match fees for England are £16K a man. Usually no more than 10 games a year, and very few players will appear in all of them. There are big commercial benefits, but the rugby earnings are unlikely to be much more than £400K per annum. Each club is allowed two 'marquee players', whose salaries are not included in the salary cap (£5.1 million for the coming season - most squads are between 35 and 40). There are strict rules regarding which players can be designated 'marquee players' - the majority are overseas players. There are regulations which limit the number of overseas players who can be on the field at any one time. There are financial rewards for clubs who meet a certain percentage of England-qualified players in their matchday squads, and clubs are also rewarded for providing players to the England squad.

France has a salary cap of £8.6 million. The top salary for a French player is just under £500K, but Dan Carter will be on more than a million, when he joins Racing Metro, after the World Cup. There are also
strict financial rules, which only allow a certain percentage of turnover to be spent on salaries. Several teams have been relegated, for breaching that rule.

The 'drug issue' is being rather exaggerated. I can only think of one top player (Frankie Sheahan, of Ireland) being banned for failing a drug test, and it was because he took an unfamiliar inhaler to combat asthma, when he was dehydrating in a game played in very high temperatures. He appealed, and his ban was lifted.

The vast majority of drug cases involve young players trying to bulk up, with the help of supplements. The problem is that, unless they are with a senior club, they are unlikely to receive adequate supervision. About 11 or 12 years ago, a Wasps player received a ban, because he used a supplement which contained a banned substance. He was very unfortunate, as he had been using this supplement for some time. It was on the approved list, but they changed the ingredients. One of the new ingredients was a banned substance, but it was not listed amongst the ingredients, as shown on the container.

There is a very rigorous testing process, with players being called on unannounced at any time of the day or night.

Re: gouging and other foul play. Very little of this happens, as top games have so many cameras covering them. Even games which are not being broadcast have plenty of cameras. Anyone who is caught is likely to receive very heavy punishments. A French international player was banned for 70 weeks. Dylan Hartley was banned for 26 weeks.

Australia: after they won the Rugby Championship, most sensible people recognised that they were a serious threat. Also, they are the most successful SH country, when the World Cup is played in Europe. They've won it twice, SA once, NZ haven't even reached a final over here.

Last edited:

Terry Gibson's perm

So what can rugby learn from football?

Pay players £100k a week? Be a totally fanny if another player brushes by you? Roll around like you've been snipered? Crowd the ref? Act like a petulant child if given a card? Have perfectly groomed hair? Segregate the fans because of somes inability to act like adults? Stop drinking whilst watching?

Having had had the misfortune of somebody putting a game this afternoon on the TV in the gym I would say plenty, maybe get less players on the field so the ones on there can move rather than just running into each other, scrap points for penalties it is like winning on corners, they need more passion in the crowd, looking at most of them there today there must have been nobody working in accountancy jobs today and the game is too slow every time I looked at the screen nothing was happening.

They will never be able to pay players big money as the support at the clubs cannot pay for it and TV isn't that interested as the foreign market must be tiny. I don't like it when players crowd the ref either. I couldn't really see if the rugby players had nicely groomed hair I could only just about see that one team was in red and one in blue;).

Vigornian

"I switched off after the first line, sorry old bean"

The first line was a quote from one of yours.

Does the man with the hairstyle name earn £250K per annum?

Several Premiership clubs have crowds which match football's championship, and the new TV deal is very lucrative. The French TV deal is enormous - unless you compare it with what BT are paying to keep Lineker in beard cream.

No, rugby can not pay Premier League salaries. I hope it never can.

Of course football is the biggest worldwide game - but it is not the only one. Rugby has only been professional for 20 years. If somebody had said in 1995 that a club match would attract 85,000, the little men in white coats would have been called in.

20 years ago, 5,000 would have been a huge crowd for a club game. Now, several clubs average between 15 and 20 thousand. If you're not amongst them, that's fine. You follow your game, rugby fans follow theirs.

Users who are viewing this thread