Shamima Begum (1 Viewer)

SBT

He has had his assets frozen and cannot pay bills. The government has frozen his bank. For a so called journalist you do lack knowledge. Do you review WU flower events for the Basilden Times?
So the answer is no then. Not sure why it’s a relevant comparison - under British law, his UK citizenship doesn’t exempt him from being sanctioned by Britain’s government.

Grendel

So the answer is no then. Not sure why it’s a relevant comparison - under British law, his UK citizenship doesn’t exempt him from being sanctioned by Britain’s government.

So you support the governments right to freeze your assets without any charges

Wow and you claim to support freedoms and rights

SBT

So you support the governments right to freeze your assets without any charges

Wow and you claim to support freedoms and rights
This is a completely different discussion about the legal merits of sanctions more generally. I’ve no idea why you’re bringing it up here, but British law is pretty unambiguous about “the government’s right” in those cases.

Grendel

This is a completely different discussion about the legal merits of sanctions more generally. I’ve no idea why you’re bringing it up here, but British law is pretty unambiguous about “the government’s right” in those cases.

To be fair you aren’t even aware of it - which as a hot shot investigative journalist I’m surprised - it’s entirely relevant as in both cases these people are effectively being sanctioned and not allowed to return to the country as I suspect neither could actually have access to funds and means

Strange given your profession as it would allow someone to have all their assets removed if they wrote a disparaging article about say the Iraq war in the 90’s, Vietnam in the 60’s or Suez in the 50’s.

Even Lord Hawe Hawe wasn’t sanctioned was he? I believe this person is the first to be in our history.

It’s entirely relevant about guilty without trial and ensuing action which makes your life no longer viable as you have no assets and no way to move across countries.

It’s from a liberty perspective identical

Grendel

It would appear since Blair relaxed laws on removal of citizenship 464 have had it revoked. I assume many are dual nationalities but Begum isn’t clearly the first in this situation but along with Letts the highest profile

SBT

To be fair you aren’t even aware of it - which as a hot shot investigative journalist I’m surprised - it’s entirely relevant as in both cases these people are effectively being sanctioned and not allowed to return to the country as I suspect neither could actually have access to funds and means

Strange given your profession as it would allow someone to have all their assets removed if they wrote a disparaging article about say the Iraq war in the 90’s, Vietnam in the 60’s or Suez in the 50’s.

Even Lord Hawe Hawe wasn’t sanctioned was he? I believe this person is the first to be in our history.

It’s entirely relevant about guilty without trial and ensuing action which makes your life no longer viable as you have no assets and no way to move across countries.

It’s from a liberty perspective identical

We’re going way down the rabbit hole here but I think the idea that your right to access a bank account is identical to your right to citizenship of the country where you were born and raised would be seriously disputed.

The Sanctions Act only came into force in 2018 so it would have been tough for Lord Hawe Hawe (sic) to fall under that one, but your suggestion that the British govt is tougher on journalists’ freedoms today than it was during WW2 obviously isn’t a serious one.

Grendel

We’re going way down the rabbit hole here but I think the idea that your right to access a bank account is identical to your right to citizenship of the country where you were born and raised would be seriously disputed.

The Sanctions Act only came into force in 2018 so it would have been tough for Lord Hawe Hawe (sic) to fall under that one, but your suggestion that the British govt is tougher on journalists’ freedoms today than it was during WW2 obviously isn’t a serious one.

you support the action - it’s noted for future reference

shmmeee

The 12 year olds who were raped?

It's a fucking weird comparison.

What about child sex abuse victims who grow up to abuse children themselves? Ahhhh let them off. Get them round to babysit.

They weren’t raped in the held at gunpoint sense. They were groomed with gifts and being made to feel special. Because that’s what an adult man can do to teenage girls.

And literally no one is saying let them off.

Sick Boy

At 15 I was a little Twat smoking weed,, trying to buy knuckle dusters off ebay and sell them at school, and buying potassium nitrate online to make smoke bombs after reading the anarchist cookbook.

I also egged an old blokes house cause he set his dog on us once.

All prickish stuff.

Never ever thought about going off to join a terrorist organisation though….
Also, didn’t she at 20 years old say that the Ariana grande concert killings were justified or something?

She’s absolute scum of the earth and I have no sympathy for her and don’t think she was too young to know what’s right and wrong, so don’t buy into the whole “oh poor thing was groomed” argument.

Should be brought back to the UK and tried though.
The Anarchist Cookbook was great. When I was 15 a mate of mine made some kind of bomb that was it and launched it at my head from his bedroom window as I walked up his drive, the bastard. Great times.

robbiekeane

The Anarchist Cookbook was great. When I was 15 a mate of mine made some kind of bomb that was it and launched it at my head from his bedroom window as I walked up his drive, the bastard. Great times.
Hahaha. I wagged school with my mate and made home made smoke bombs following a recipe…bought some garden fertiliser off eBay and some visco fuse, and stole a glass beaker from science.

Set one off on the tennis courts and someone set the fire alarm off.

Imagine if I tried buying that stuff today there would be an anti terrorist car outside my house immediately 😂

Sky Blue Pete

Strap yourself in.......

Always a bizarre decision to not take age and grooming into account
The argument about her comments as an adult are separate to that
It’s hard for us to deal with someone’s actions as a child when these actions lead to a judgement on those actions when the are an adult

skybluetony176

It’s hard for us to deal with someone’s actions as a child when these actions lead to a judgement on those actions when the are an adult
The flip coin is that the government are on about sending foreign criminals back to try and free up prison capacity although that’s not the reason why prisons are full). What’s stopping those countries taking away their citizenship and pointing to this as the excuse for doing it?

Sky Blue Pete

The flip coin is that the government are on about sending foreign criminals back to try and free up prison capacity although that’s not the reason why prisons are full). What’s stopping those countries taking away their citizenship and pointing to this as the excuse for doing it?
Didn’t realise foreign criminals have always been being returned to their countries of birth
You do realise we are the only country that has this problem and spends more money than any other country in the world on people who were born outside of the country
Not!!

rob9872

Ffs some of you really do try to pretend to be too nice on a faceless football forum. I imagine you're ok with living next door to her? All sanctimonious crap.

Terrorists are ok, but dont you dare disagree with me about anything political or righteous on here or I'll follow you to the end of the earth to call you a wanker!

shmmeee

Ffs some of you really do try to pretend to be too nice on a faceless football forum. I imagine you're ok with living next door to her? All sanctimonious crap.

Terrorists are ok, but dont you dare disagree with me about anything political or righteous on here or I'll follow you to the end of the earth to call you a wanker!

This might blow your mind. But not everyone is secretly an arsehole.

Otis

I don't have to pretend to be nice. I AM nice. 😇

skybluetony176

Didn’t realise foreign criminals have always been being returned to their countries of birth
You do realise we are the only country that has this problem and spends more money than any other country in the world on people who were born outside of the country
Not!!
Which then begs the question are we also going to take British citizens back who are incarcerated overseas. Figures are vague but it’s typically about 2000 British citizens incarcerated overseas at any given time. Which is less than foreign nationals in our prisons but here’s the other issue. We can already deport foreign nationals serving more than 12 months. The actual problem seems to be that the government isn’t doing their job again. The home office is a mess and the numbers the deport has been steadily (and not so steadily in some years) going down, even before covid. It’s another Tory tactic of saying that they’re going to do something that they already should have been doing within UK law. A law that the last Labour government introduced by the way as the Tories left power with nothing in place.

rob9872

It’s another Tory tactic of saying that they’re going to do something that they already should have been doing within UK law. A law that the last Labour government introduced by the way as the Tories left power with nothing in place.
You might be right but fk me you're boring!!

Users who are viewing this thread