Should small women enter the police force? (1 Viewer)

Gazolba

Saw this photo and it made me think about it.
This is a man on a beach being challenged for breaking lockdown rules.
Small-woman-policeperson.jpg

pastythegreat

I'm all for anyone who is capable of doing the job without compromising their own or their colleagues safety or the integrity of the job.

I'm against women joining the Infantry (still the only job in the British Army women cannot currently apply for and do). I'm not saying that there arent women strong enough and fit enough to do the job, but it wouldnt stay at that.
Take, for example, the fire service. Women fought for the right to join the service and eventually won the right. After a few years and only a handful of women met the grade to join they fought again for equal rights (ie, make it easier for women to join so the numbers are more balanced). I'm 6'3" and weigh approx 100kg or 15 and a half stone. If I was unconscious in a burning tower block, most men would struggle to get me out, I dont know (personally, there will be one or 2 out there) a single woman who could pick me up and carry me.
If you can pass the same tests as the men, then great, welcome aboard, but dont shout equality and have the tests made easier thus breaking the integrity of the job.

Train hard, fight easy.
Not, train easier for split arses and do a piss poor job because of equality.

I think instead of asking if they "should" join the force, it should be "should they be allowed"?

Sorry for the rant

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

CanadianCCFC

I'm all for anyone who is capable of doing the job without compromising their own or their colleagues safety or the integrity of the job.

I'm against women joining the Infantry (still the only job in the British Army women cannot currently apply for and do). I'm not saying that there arent women strong enough and fit enough to do the job, but it wouldnt stay at that.
Take, for example, the fire service. Women fought for the right to join the service and eventually won the right. After a few years and only a handful of women met the grade to join they fought again for equal rights (ie, make it easier for women to join so the numbers are more balanced). I'm 6'3" and weigh approx 100kg or 15 and a half stone. If I was unconscious in a burning tower block, most men would struggle to get me out, I dont know (personally, there will be one or 2 out there) a single woman who could pick me up and carry me.
If you can pass the same tests as the men, then great, welcome aboard, but dont shout equality and have the tests made easier thus breaking the integrity of the job.

Train hard, fight easy.
Not, train easier for split arses and do a piss poor job because of equality.

I think instead of asking if they "should" join the force, it should be "should they be allowed"?

Sorry for the rant

Correct

bringbackrattles

"Think you're tough eh, Titch?"
View attachment 14989
This reminds me of a doorman outside Brown's some years back. That pub that was really strict and would hardly let anyone in. This little doorman was stopping everyone from entering, me for having tattooed hands, and a mate just because he looked pissed even though he wasn't. He looked about 15 and was about 7 stone wet. We just went over the road to the old Dive Bar and in there it was full of drinkers who had also been refused entry into Brown's. Talk got round at the tiny bouncer who was stopping everybody and acting like he was Bruce Lee.
Was he a martial arts expert ? Nobody knew who he was but whatever he was he stood his ground. Maybe psychology from the owner, as stood next to him was a huge bouncer !

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
This reminds me of a doorman outside Brown's some years back. That pub that was really strict and would hardly let anyone in. This little doorman was stopping everyone from entering, me for having tattooed hands, and a mate just because he looked pissed even though he wasn't. He looked about 15 and was about 7 stone wet. We just went over the road to the old Dive Bar and in there it was full of drinkers who had also been refused entry into Brown's. Talk got round at the tiny bouncer who was stopping everybody and acting like he was Bruce Lee.
Was he a martial arts expert ? Nobody knew who he was but whatever he was he stood his ground. Maybe psychology from the owner, as stood next to him was a huge bouncer !
I've never been inside Browns, and in fact, didn't even know where it was until after it closed! LOL! Not the sort of place I'd want to be seen in either, after they prevented that uniformed soldier from going in. Caused an outrage if I remember.

bringbackrattles

I've never been inside Browns, and in fact, didn't even know where it was until after it closed! LOL! Not the sort of place I'd want to be seen in either, after they prevented that uniformed soldier from going in. Caused an outrage if I remember.
I tried twice to go in there over the years but got refused entry. A friend of mine who has since passed away was in the city centre with 2 of his relatives over from Ireland. One was a magistrate, the other owned her own business in Dublin. Anyway they had a meal nearby and decided they'd go in Brown's for a drink.
All of them were smartly dressed and hadn't had a drink, but they were stopped at the door from going inside. The reason given was " they looked like they'd cause trouble ! " They picked on the wrong people as the owner received later on a letter from the magistrate saying they want an apology etc, and their establishment was a disgrace to Coventry.
My friend said they received back nothing at all. I heard Brown's never apologised to anybody !

ajsccfc

I never got turned away from Browns but you'd always get the stink eye from them as if they were just waiting to send people away just because. Since those owners were replaced and it became Drapers it almost instantly seemed a more friendly place and was great since.

pastythegreat

Typical case of "small man syndrome". Had a PTI (Army version of a P.E Teacher) when I was in battalion that was tiny, had it in his mind that we all thought he wasnt capable to do the job as he was so short so to make up for his "shortfall" he went over the top every session to prove he could do it.

Browns always thought they were above every other bar in the city. Never ever been able to get in there. In the end they refused the wrong uniformed staff and went out of business. Serves them fucking right. Knobbers

shmmeee

Never turned away from Browns, but then I don’t look like a wrongun.

Always enjoyed the tears from those that did though.

clint van damme

You didn't need to be a wrong un they were just cunts.
I know someone whose band was playing there midweek and they wouldn't let his brother in who was over from Australia.
Was just a power trip.
Know loads of people who couldn't get in who've never caused trouble in their lives.

shmmeee

that’s a twattish thing to say- they used to love turning people away for no reason, they were complete idiots.

Yeah everyone says that, but then everyone I’ve known to be turned away has looked like a chav soooo...

Cry more?

Honestly, it’s just a bar and not a great one at that. I don’t get the butthurt.

Lloyds once turned me away for being too pissed despite being stone close sober. I’m not still crying about it on the internet.

Nick

Administrator

It might say more about what you do look like then

I remember we got as far as the bar once. Great time to be alive

Wasn't dressed chavvy either, just obviously had washed and put on clean clothes. Judging by the woman behind the bar who was fresh from cuddling with swampy.

The bouncers wouldn't give a reason and didn't seem to like being asked questions when trying to kick us out.

Oh well, gringos it was

shmmeee

It might say more about what you do look like then

I remember we got as far as the bar once. Great time to be alive

See? It was a feature of the place! More people went just to see if they could get in. Probably helped bring attention to what was a pretty shit bar.

Ring Of Steel

Yeah everyone says that, but then everyone I’ve known to be turned away has looked like a chav soooo...

Cry more?

Honestly, it’s just a bar and not a great one at that. I don’t get the butthurt.

I don’t know why I would cry, I only ever went a couple of times and it was crap anyway. Plenty had bad experiences for no reason at all, and it was great when they got their comeuppance- so for you to be revelling in people’s nights being ruined for no reason is indeed a pretty twattish thing to say, I don’t know why you’d get off on people being treated like scum for nothing.

Nick

Administrator
See? It was a feature of the place! More people went just to see if they could get in. Probably helped bring attention to what was a pretty shit bar.
Nah we didn't bother again. Apart from heckling the door men on the way past.

shmmeee

I don’t know why I would cry, I only ever went a couple of times and it was crap anyway. Plenty had bad experiences for no reason at all, and it was great when they got their comeuppance- so for you to be revelling in people’s nights being ruined for no reason is indeed a pretty twattish thing to say, I don’t know why you’d get off on people being treated like scum for nothing.

People’s nights were ruined by not getting into a bar they knew they probably wouldn’t get into anyway? Put the pearls down FFS. It was their entire selling point.

We’ve all been turned away from bars for reasons we don’t like. Man up.

shmmeee

Nah we didn't bother again. Apart from heckling the door men on the way past.

This is what I mean. Look how butthurt this thread still is at the mere mention of it. Love it.

The Colly would frequently demand NUSif they didn’t like the look of you. Yates’s has some ridiculous rules around hats. Carey’s didn’t like brown shoes. All equally stupid, but none would get people are riled up as being told they looked a bit chavvy by Browns. Like they were the arbiters of your life.

Hilarious.

Ring Of Steel

People’s nights were ruined by not getting into a bar they knew they probably wouldn’t get into anyway? Put the pearls down FFS. It was their entire selling point.

We’ve all been turned away from bars for reasons we don’t like. Man up.

Yeah, not smoking isn’t really agreeing with you is it

shmmeee

Yeah, not smoking isn’t really agreeing with you is it

Hahahaha. Fucking hell. Had to dig into the big bag of personal insults now. All because you didn’t get into a shit bar ten years ago. It happens. Move on. You didn’t miss anything.

Ring Of Steel

Hahahaha. Fucking hell. Had to dig into the big bag of personal insults now. All because you didn’t get into a shit bar ten years ago. It happens. Move on. You didn’t miss anything.

I just told you, I never got turned away from there. That does not mean they weren’t tossers, they blatantly were. But anyway, if you find that this kind of attitude works for you then you crack on

shmmeee

I just told you, I never got turned away from there. That does not mean they weren’t tossers, they blatantly were. But anyway, if you find that this kind of attitude works for you then you crack on

I do generally find the attitude of “random bar bouncers don’t determine the worth of my life” works for me. Yes.

chiefdave

The Colly would frequently demand NUSif they didn’t like the look of you. Yates’s has some ridiculous rules around hats. Carey’s didn’t like brown shoes.
Whatever happened to dress codes to get into places? In my clubbing days you had zero chance of getting in somewhere if you were wearing t-shirt, jeans and trainers, or anyone of the three.

I think I've reached the 'kids these days' phase of life.

shmmeee

Whatever happened to dress codes to get into places? In my clubbing days you had zero chance of getting in somewhere if you were wearing t-shirt, jeans and trainers, or anyone of the three.

They seem to have disappeared and good that they did. Weirdly school uniforms in Primaries seems to have replaced them. Maybe all the bouncers became Primary heads

Ring Of Steel

depends where- places like Liverpool, Leeds, Manchester it wasn’t as draconian, I could never understand why in somewhere like Cov you used to have to dress up, as if someone wearing cheap trousers and shoes was somehow less likely to kick off, it was pathetic. Liverpool was amazing when I was there and never once was anyone told they had to wear shoes or a ‘buttoned shirt’

shmmeee

As well as taking great delight when seeing someone being treated like crap for no reason at all. Real classy.

Being turned away at a private bar isn’t being treated like crap, it’s being turned away at a bar. Don’t take it as a comment on your life. That’s my point. Some bars want certain clientele, sometimes you won’t be in that clientele. I’ve been turned away from bars for ridiculous reasons. That’s on them. I went to another one and enjoyed my night. I’m not still bitter ten years later.

The problem people seem to have with Browns was that they felt they were the right clientele even when told they weren’t. Which I find funny like all pricking of pomposity. I was almost always hiding a “well I’m better than *that* person they let in” attitude.

Ring Of Steel

Being turned away at a private bar isn’t being treated like crap, it’s being turned away at a bar. Don’t take it as a comment on your life. That’s my point. Some bars want certain clientele, sometimes you won’t be in that clientele. I’ve been turned away from bars for ridiculous reasons. That’s on them. I went to another one and enjoyed my night. I’m not still bitter ten years later.

The problem people seem to have with Browns was that they felt they were the right clientele even when told they weren’t. Which I find funny like all pricking of pomposity. I was almost always hiding a “well I’m better than *that* person they let in” attitude.

to be honest the only place I ever got kicked out of was the Pink Parrot for being in the general vicinity when someone let off a CS Gas canister by the bar. I was gone from Cov in ‘93 and I haven’t been out much there since. The nightlife in Cov seemed to revolve around brawling & felt like it was stuck on 1985 or something. It’s my home etc etc but my god it was crap at night.

chiefdave

Some bars want certain clientele, sometimes you won’t be in that clientele. I’ve been turned away from bars for ridiculous reasons.
I can remember going to one place years ago (not in Cov), was a small after hours chill out type place. There was a group of 5 or 6 of us a bit the worse for wear. Got there and there wasn't a queue but there was two chaps in the process of being turned away. Both smartly dressed, neither noticeably drunk or causing any issue. The door men were telling them the club was full but, as one of the doormen told us to wait until they'd gone and we'd be let in, it seemed the real issue was that they weren't white.

Couldn't believe what was going on. This would have been mid 90s so not really a period of time where you'd expect that kind of thing to be pretty openly happening. Needless to say we didn't go in and reported it to the council licensing team - was working at the council at the time.

Users who are viewing this thread