Simms (1 Viewer)

Grendel

I'm of the same thinking as Robins. Ask Robins.

I think he's been dealt a bad hand as Robins been molly cuddling that cry baby Godden.

You said Kane was superb and the £10 million rated Dabo should play at left back to accommodate him.

Hertsccfc

I'm of the same thinking as Robins. Ask Robins.

I think he's been dealt a bad hand as Robins been molly cuddling that cry baby Godden.
You're not answering the question. I won't repeat your language about Wright who Robins clearly rates. So what are Simms' strengths?

Mucca Mad Boys

He scored one goal in the Premier League.

I must admit I was originally comforted in thinking he was a goalscorer, who was just going through a lean patch here, as I couldn’t really see much else to him. Then someone on here said he has never been a goalscorer as such. I looked into this and it seems right. His only 'purple patch was 7 in 17 at Sunderland. Thst in itself was exactly prolific especially bearing in mind he had Diallo in that team.

8 in 21 at Blackpool (1 in 2.6 goals per game) and 5 in 17 at Hearts (1 in 3.4) suggests otherwise.

We’re the outlier.

Tommo1993

Confident he’s gonna turn it around.

Again, big Godden fan, but he’s contributing less and less every week. He just doesn’t trouble defenders like he used to. I’d be happy to give Simms more time to grow with Wright.

I’ll be very surprised to see Wilson, Fadz, Kelly, Allen, Godden and Tavares here next season. Football is cruel, but we have to move on.

Londonccfcfan

You're not answering the question. I won't repeat your language about Wright who Robins clearly rates. So what are Simms' strengths?
He's the closest thing we got as a target man. Leeds away was a great unselfish performance.

Earlier on in season he was made a scapegoat for misfiring Haji Wright which took about 2 months to find he's best operating on LHS.

Yesterday he could have and should have scored 2 and had 2 assists and a possible penalty (seen them given). So all in all he's there or there abouts clearly lacking confidence.

I feel he's operating in 2nd or 3rd gear lacking that confidence. Thinking optimistically at his age 22/23 if he gets his act together he will be frightening prospect.

shmmeee

Actually agreed with Brummie Nick on the phone in last night after the game...

Simms is still young but needs a lot more consistent game time. He'll have a good game and then get about 10-15 minutes in the next couple which I imagine might be to give Godden some gametime if he's been at Mark Robins door asking to play more.

Agree we could do with another option up front though, Haji Wright is a lot more suited to that wide role than in the centre

Goddeb has played the fifth most minutes and more than any other striker. I really don’t know what he’s whining about.

Hertsccfc

He's the closest thing we got as a target man. Leeds away was a great unselfish performance.

Earlier on in season he was made a scapegoat for misfiring Haji Wright which took about 2 months to find he's best operating on LHS.

Yesterday he could have and should have scored 2 and had 2 assists and a possible penalty (seen them given). So all in all he's there or there abouts clearly lacking confidence.

I feel he's operating in 2nd or 3rd gear lacking that confidence. Thinking optimistically at his age 22/23 if he gets his act together he will be frightening prospect.
I see the dig at Wright there. Still don't like him eh?

'Top striker', 'frightening prospect'. Amazing stuff based in what we have seen so far. Yet we should flog Wright for £500,000?

gspotgaz

Looks like he’s running through treacle one minute, next minute quite pacey. Just doesn’t look he has any self belief.

TomRad85

Repeating myself a bit, but how Godden managed to whine his way back in the team at a time Simms was playing his best football (so far) I have no idea. He's done nothing to justify that decision and really we need to be sticking with the player we invested so much in.
Out of all our summer signings though Simms does remain the one I'm least convinced by and actually the CF position could ultimately end up being our downfall.
Get one in who's on the same wavelength as the rest of the team and we're laughing.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

SBAndy

Was a massive fan of his signing in the summer and seemed to have a very strong pre-season. Since the season began, though, it’s clear he lacks the aggression to be a proper goal scoring target man. That’s just a mentality thing which can be solved. Of more concern is the lack of understanding in terms of movement. He’s received the ball in the channel numerous times and not got across his man. He makes far too many wrong decisions. I hope this can be coached out of him but I’m losing faith slowly.

Godden, however, is getting on my tits. Constantly flapping his arms around when things aren’t going his way. Clearly had a whinge about game time. Performances far from backing that up. He’s never been the quickest but what pace he did have has deserted him.

Grendel

Jeez ffs get off his back

Pun Reaction GIF

Hertsccfc

Was a massive fan of his signing in the summer and seemed to have a very strong pre-season. Since the season began, though, it’s clear he lacks the aggression to be a proper goal scoring target man. That’s just a mentality thing which can be solved. Of more concern is the lack of understanding in terms of movement. He’s received the ball in the channel numerous times and not got across his man. He makes far too many wrong decisions. I hope this can be coached out of him but I’m losing faith slowly.

Godden, however, is getting on my tits. Constantly flapping his arms around when things aren’t going his way. Clearly had a whinge about game time. Performances far from backing that up. He’s never been the quickest but what pace he did have has deserted him.
Agreed and this is why we need reinforcements up front in this window if we are serious about the play offs.

Simms might come good in time with coaching, although I am not sure what his attributes are and playing every match has ruined him in my view. What looks like lack of aggression may be lack of confidence from not scoring in all those games, but it doesn't explain why he looked like that from the start.

If we really think Simms is coming good then a short term option for this season would make sense.

SkyBlue_Bear83

Do people really think Robins picks Godden so Godden doesn’t whine?

Farrrkinell
He's certainly trying to keep him on side, as evidenced by Godden inexplicably jumping up the captaincy order this season and being given the arm band on occasions this season.

ptr

Right, he hasn’t been good enough, we can all agree on that. Goals record speaks for itself.

But, hasn’t had a consistent run of games. Yesterday was his only his fifth 90 for us. At times it’s demoralising watching Godden up front so I can only imagine what it’s like for Simms watching him from the bench.

I am very surprised he didn’t kick on after QPR but let’s get behind him. He’s clearly got physical attributes that would make him a good striker at this level and luckily for him, we’ve got coaching staff that have proven they can make players better, a lot better.

Hertsccfc

Right, he hasn’t been good enough, we can all agree on that. Goals record speaks for itself.

But, hasn’t had a consistent run of games. Yesterday was his only his fifth 90 for us. At times it’s demoralising watching Godden up front so I can only imagine what it’s like for Simms watching him from the bench.

I am very surprised he didn’t kick on after QPR but let’s get behind him. He’s clearly got physical attributes that would make him a good striker at this level and luckily for him, we’ve got coaching staff that have proven they can make players better, a lot better.
He has started 17 matches including seven on the trot starting with the QPR game. He has played in all 31, the only player in the squad who has.

He has played too much not too little.

Evo1883

I've already expressed my concerns regarding our CFs

IMO

-We don't get the ball into feet into the box to our CFs as often as we could , they work incredibly hard off the ball
- Robins seems to prefer our CFs to work hard, chase and be a nuisance to help create space for everything else to happen, been working well in the 4231 , but ultimately they are left with scraps imo
- I still hold hope that ellis simms can come good

-Gyokeres was incredible , no point comparing any player here with him anymore

fernandopartridge

Said this at the match last night, Simms doesn't seem to know how to protect the ball, Wright is similar in some respects, they don't get their body between the defender and the ball to force the foul or get away. Simms isn't too bad with his back to goal. You can see Robins is trying to coach it into him but it'll take time, especially where it isn't instinctive.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

ptr

Wright has been good out on the left, I just wonder if he’s worth another go in the middle now he has the confidence. Give Godden and Simms the rocket they need.

Would need to sign another winger though.

Boicey

Why are you lumping Wright in there? He's been a major success. He's scored goals and created and been one of our best players. He's adapted to an unfamiliar position and followed the managers' instructions.
Do we really think at this point Wright has ‘been a major success’??
He had a poor start, has recently shown promise before injury and has integrated with the squad well but he certainly has some way to go before proving himself never mind ‘a major success’ label.

TomRad85

No, he's good on the left because it suits his attributes. By trying to solve one problem it just creates another imo.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk
Last thing we need is to decimate Wrights confidence too. He's a cracking player on the left so that's where he stays.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread