Since relagation name 3 players who have really played for the shirt? (1 Viewer)

The thing with Westwood was he wanted the no.1 shirt for Ireland and. wanted premier league football which is what he was promised by the shit that is running our club into the ground. We all knew Westwood was going but he continued to play well and that prick Aidy Boothroyd punished him for not signing a new contract and played a loan keeper instead.

At least he got premiership football though eh......oh hang on a minute.......he got to train with premiership players.

ronan_cov

I can name one player for this forum. Richard Keogh, nobody can disagree. We need to get him a new contract before he decides league 1 football is not for him.

rob9872

Pretty much all of them. I doubt they go out there to lose or make mistakes. Its their profession, they will want to do their best not only for us and their team mates, but because they get bonuses and new contracts. Of course there are exceptions like Eastwood, but the large majority will have given their all. The problem is that many of them are not of sufficient quality. The blame lies with teh board and managers who have sanctioned their signing and have then selected them (not to mention playing them out of position).

Although of course terrace heroes only identify with blood and passion and the ones thatt are a bit on the edge and look like they would run through brick walls for you, but all of thsoe mentioned are not necessarily trying harder than eg Clingan just different characters.

tomreagna

Think we could name 11 players with the passion for premiershi football this saturday. Unfortunately with exeption of the loanees and a few of our youngsters, they'll probably never reach that level.

Our aim has to be having 11 players, playing at 100% of their ability in a fashion that will oulay the opposition.

Against Burnley, who have nothing to play for, that is a real prospect.

Last edited:

Nonleagueherewecome

i looked up to micky doyle when he was here for playing his heart out, wheres he now? wheres his replacement?

He scored a 30-yard screamer according to R5 tonight as Sheff U hammered Rochdale 5-2 away. Of course if we had such players left we could dream of having similar fun..bet if Evans can bag 30 in L1, Lukas could have. But we can't afford decent players..

Platt, Morrell and Doyle would be my first shouts. Marcus, Warnock, Thompson and Carsley too.

In general I'd say our present side have put in more effort than most since relegation though. There's no obvious shirker in the Stern John class.

Sadly, there's no obvious goalscorer in the Stern John class either!

Nonleagueherewecome

Wonder if Westwood is regretting his move now he is sat on the bench every match?

I'm regretting it more...why do we have to put the knife in to players who were fantastic for us just because they've left us? A lot of people still hate McSheffrey for it.

Anyway, having seen the goals raining into the Sunderland net at the weekend, if O'Neill is smart enough to remember how superbly Westwood was playing before his knock, he'll get him back in the side sharpish. He's miles better than the players he's up against, as he'll prove in time.

1nilandwe...

Anyone who thinks that the lads were playing without passion or effort on Monday is surely on a wind-up. Everyone can see that the passion and effort have been there the previous 6 or 7 games, so why would they turn up to the biggest match of the season and not bother? Answer: They wouldn't. There is a difference between a lack of effort and simply not being good enough.

That wasn't the original question though was it? Just "Who has played with pride since relegation". And for what it's worth, I'd have Richard Shaw back ANY day!

I agree HH

Richard Shaw gave his all to the cause and was a damn good Central Defender who wore the CCFC shirt with pride and dignity - how people can say he is crap is beyond me - one of the best man to man markers we've had in recent times and was an inspiration to younger players for his commitment and durability - and YES I would have him back any day.

PUSB

Last edited:

scroobiustom

Doyler was the most committed player, not amazing but he has to be up there!

Real

Wonder if willo was a clown against Tottenham, 2-1?? kept us up?? :whistle:

Clown like performance a week earlier against Derby, one amongst many over the years. But because he scored one goal in our final match to keep us up he's a great player? Maybe if he and his partner in crime Shaw been better defenders all season we wouldn't have gone into the last game desperately needing a win, and other results to go our way? Just a thought.

Real

I agree HH

Richard Shaw gave his all to the cause and was a damn good Central Defender who wore the CCFC shirt with pride and dignity - how people can say he is crap is beyond me - one of the best man to man markers we've had in recent times and was an inspiration to younger players for his commitment and durability - and YES I would have him back any day.

PUSB

Ah the old great man to man marker bs. How many did hopeless Savi Milosevic score against us when the great Shaw was man marking him?

It's as if people are reading from the same script when trying to argue the merits of Shaw. I personally like a defender who is brave and means to win his headers, rather than jump with the attacker to fool the supporters that at least he tried. I also like players to be comfortable with the ball at their feet, not those who panic the minute an attacker is within 10 yards of him.

Grendel

It is Shaw and his like that have got us in to the position we now find ourselves. Too many poor players masquerading as footballers.

Shaw in my reckoning was a first choice defender for 9 managers at coventry and palace. So it's you're curiously warped view or that of 9 professionals. It's a tough call.

oakey

All of them play for the money first, their professional pride second, their team third. However, if playing for the team you supported as a boy it may scramble that order.

Real

Shaw in my reckoning was a first choice defender for 9 managers at coventry and palace. So it's you're curiously warped view or that of 9 professionals. It's a tough call.

I don't know who his managers were at Palace, but from memory at Coventry he played under;

Big Ron - sacked.
Wee Gordon - sacked.
Roland - sacked.
Gary Mac - personal.
Eric Black - sacked.
Peter Reid - sacked.
Micky Adams - sacked.

There may be others but as I said, these are just from memory. However, being as you prefer the opinion of the professionals over me, I'll take Alex Ferguson's opinion over all these managers, and his opinion of Shaw from his own book? He's an awful player, why are you letting the likes of Shaw bother you. But hey, what does Alex know in comparison to the 9 manager you are referring to?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread