Sports that should not be in the Olympics (1 Viewer)

Gazolba

My vote goes to tennis, golf and basketball. It irks me that professional sports men and women who already have the opportunity to enter multiple major tournaments and win cups, awards and huge monetary prizes get to add Olympic medals to their already considerable booty.
I also not a fan of the 'over-age' players allowed to compete in the football competition, for the same reasons.

Reactions: vow

CJ_covblaze

Road cycling would be one then too.

The Reverend Skyblue

BMX , surely that's for kids only. Handball looks boring plus why hasn't Cristiano Ronaldo not entered the diving competition, he'd win hands down

Terry Gibson's perm

My vote goes to tennis, golf and basketball. It irks me that professional sports men and women who already have the opportunity to enter multiple major tournaments and win cups, awards and huge monetary prizes get to add Olympic medals to their already considerable booty.
I also not a fan of the 'over-age' players allowed to compete in the football competition, for the same reasons.

You can add football and Rugby to that plus that bloody horse dancing.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Synchronised drowning. That's nowhere near a sport! Clay pigeon shooting and archery. Both more of a hobby / pastime than a sport. If they have these sort of things then why not have Lego Building or Pokémon.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
I would love to see you lot attempting the ones you say are not a sport lol
I've done clay pigeon shooting, archery and real swimming. Not drowned..... yet! As TGP says above, if most of us had the time etc., we would do ok.

Otis

They should replace athletics with darts. Just to make me feel better about myself.
Yes, agree.

Would also like to see a few adjustments to the formats.

Swimming - but with sharks. Competitor in each lane, shark in each lane. The competitors get 5m head start.

Javelin throwing - but into a pit of Islamic extremists.

The hurdles should have barbed wire on the top and the dressage should be done on hot coals (even though it already seems that it is).

The pole vault should be set even higher and then all the competitors should be illegal immigrants in France trying to get over the border into the UK.

I reckon would then see the world record consistently beaten.

Any other suggestions, other than using real town pigeons for the clay pigeon shoot?

Monners

New sports - Cat herding, whistling (as per Roger Whittaker), snorkling, window cleaning and bricklaying.

Otis

New sports - Cat herding, whistling (as per Roger Whittaker), snorkling, window cleaning and bricklaying.
I like window cleaning. That should definitely be in the Olympics. That and Queuing.

More British golds!

chiefdave

Re: golf, it should be amateur only.
All sports should be amateur only. What's the point of having USA win the basketball every time? How important is the tennis compared to the grand slams? And don't forget the shambolic football rules regarding who can and can't play.

Gazolba

It's unfair that one person can win 23 gold medals. You should only be able to compete in one Olympics. After that, give other people a chance.
We also need to introduce unisex sports, where one's sex offers no advantage and men and women compete equally.
Is there any reason for separate men's and women's table-tennis events?

CJ_covblaze

It's unfair that one person can win 23 gold medals. You should only be able to compete in one Olympics. After that, give other people a chance.
We also need to introduce unisex sports, where one's sex offers no advantage and men and women compete equally.
Is there any reason for separate men's and women's table-tennis events?

I don't get why archery and shooting can't be unisex. It's not an Olympic sport but same goes for Snooker.

SkyblueBazza

Equestrian - wtf??? There is probably a skill to getting a horse to do what they get them to do...but the effort & poise & athletic ability is all the horse's!

...onwards & upwards PUSB

SkyblueBazza

I've done clay pigeon shooting, archery and real swimming. Not drowned..... yet! As TGP says above, if most of us had the time etc., we would do ok.
All these athletes have about the same amount of time...so how come some are SO much better & consistent than others? To think you would do well & actually doing so are entirely different things

...onwards & upwards PUSB

W

westcountry_skyblue

Darts will be next,
Also I think we should tell Wasps there's an unused stadium in Rio available soon,So they can Piss off there with there franchise!!!

Gazolba

I don't get why archery and shooting can't be unisex. It's not an Olympic sport but same goes for Snooker.
I agree, any sport where strength or physical size is not a factor should be unisex. Maybe having separate competitions was to spare men the embarrassment of being beaten by a woman.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Any sport where the Olympics isn't the pinnacle, ie Tennis, Golf, Football.

Basketball is acceptable as there isn't a 'world cup' is there?

Gazolba

Any sport where the Olympics isn't the pinnacle, ie Tennis, Golf, Football.

Basketball is acceptable as there isn't a 'world cup' is there?
The problem with basketball is that no-one will ever beat the USA so there is no chance for any other country to win the gold. Eliminate the elite professional players and I would have no problem with it.

Reactions: vow

Gazolba

In 2020 we get skateboarding, baseball, climbing and surfing.

Difficult to see how they will do climbing and surfing. They would have to hold the competitions somewhere where there are mountains and surf, unless they can somehow build an artificial mountain and an artificial ocean.

Covstu

Difficult to see how they will do climbing and surfing. They would have to hold the competitions somewhere where there are mountains and surf, unless they can somehow build an artificial mountain and an artificial ocean.
surfing down mountains?? sound good!

JohnWH

--Just found out Sailing is an olympic sport, lots of varieties. Turns out it first debuted at the olympics in 1900. So, I suppose its been around long enough to be considered a classic?
--Not sure what Trampoline was til just now. Watched a video. Exactly what you expect. I'd keep it in the olympics.
--BMX? WTF? Not everything needs to get a medal. Same goes for snowboard in winter games. Too "narly."

Frankly, I prefer the classics, and individual evetns vs. team sports, because the olympics should showcase overall athleticism such as decathlon

Side note the winter Biathlon seems pretty unique, you gotta be able to cross country ski and have precision rifle marksmanship. They ougghta just select two random sports as the "surprise" for every olympics where any ahtlete can sign up but wont know what the event is until a month in advance.

Such as:
1. Shooting/Sailing -- essentially olympic Pirates event
2. Swimming/greco-roman-wrestling -- first competitor to drown the other wins and lives
3. Archery/Boxing -- good training for zombie apocalypse

https://www.olympic.org/sports

Users who are viewing this thread