Substitutions (1 Viewer)

PVA

Thing is though everyone complains Waghorn and Shipley are shit. Tavares came on. Wilson and Howley obviously aren't going to come on. That leaves Sheaf and Kane.

Often the people complaining we don't make subs are the same ones that complain the squad is shit (not saying that's you).

stupot07

Don’t get this criticism at all, are people seriously saying we should’ve what? Taken Godden off for Shipley or Howley? We don’t make subs cos we run the leanest squad in the division cos we’re skint.
We had sheaf, waghorn and kane on the bench too. Personally, I'd have taken godden off and put Sheaf on to pack the midfield regain control of the game. Sheaf would have also given us some height at that corner, where 5ft 5 Allen and 5ft 9 Hamer were marking their 6ft 4 goalscorer

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

shmmeee

We had sheaf, waghorn and kane on the bench too. Personally, I'd have taken godden off and put Sheaf on to pack the midfield regain control of the game. Sheaf would have also given us some height at that corner, where 5ft 5 Allen and 5ft 9 Hamer were marking their 6ft 4 goalscorer

None of those are really game changers. I’d have had Sheaf in for Allen from the start but that’s a separate question.

skyblue1991

Thing is though everyone complains Waghorn and Shipley are shit. Tavares came on. Wilson and Howley obviously aren't going to come on. That leaves Sheaf and Kane.

Often the people complaining we don't make subs are the same ones that complain the squad is shit (not saying that's you).
Tavares should've come on earlier. Every time he has come on he's shows signs of promise or has contributed like he did today

Sheaf is good enough to come on too

Not saying we have an in depth squad but subs are there to be used and we haven't done that enough this season

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

stupot07

None of those are really game changers. I’d have had Sheaf in for Allen from the start but that’s a separate question.
It depends on what you mean game changer. At 1-1 and under the cosh, sheaf and the formation change may have helped us get to grips with their formation change and wrestled the game back from them when they were totally on top. It would have changed the dynamic of the game.

There are different ways of changing games, obviously at 2-1 down you're looking for more dynamism and to try and create something.

shmmeee

Blackburn brought on three forwards today, they didn’t change the game by swapping their holding midfielder out.

pusbccfc

Taveras has the pace in behind. Everything Godden doesn't have.

theferret

They can bring on probably 15 mill worth of forwards , game changers

We had Todd kane , Sheaf and tavares

It's a strange argument you're making, that you can't bring on fresh legs or look to change the shape because the people on the bench aren't worthy of the tag 'game changer'. Thought Sheaf might have come on, or is he shit again now? We had a couple of players treading water most of the second half, why not make a change?

Anyhow, we drew the game, no biggie.

Evo1883

It's a strange argument you're making, that you can't bring on fresh legs or look to change the shape because the people on the bench aren't worthy of the tag 'game changer'. Thought Sheaf might have come on, or is shit again now? We had a couple of players treading water most of the second half, why not make a change?

Anyhow, we drew the game, no biggie.

Obviously you're avoiding the fact that there's no guarantee the changes work , we hope they do and that's it really

stupot07

Obviously you're avoiding the fact that there's no guarantee the changes work
No substitution have the guarantee the changes will work. It helps if you have the quality of Diaz or Dack, but it wasn't just the personel, they changed their shape to a 3 up top with Dack in a false 9.

Evo1883

No substitution have the guarantee the changes will work. It helps if you have the quality of Diaz or Dack, but it wasn't just the personel, they changed their shape to a 3 up top with Dack in a false 9.

And the result was probably about right in the end so ... there's no issue really

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Can anyone tell me how many substitutions we have used this season compared to other teams?

I found goals by substitute, and we are on 3 for the season in total. 3rd bottom of that league above Barnsley and Millwall!

I do feel Robins lacks a plan B and doesn´t have much faith in the changes he is bringing on. I find the inaction sometimes very frustrating.

harvey098

Mark Robins, you are allowed to make three substitutions per game, and have been since 1995

Fucking use them!

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

What is the obsession with making subs! Most players are fit enough to play 90+ minutes.

No one out there was blowing and we score more late goals than all these teams that make 3 subs before 80 minutes. I think Robins knows what he’s doing.

Terry Gibson's perm

I would like to have seen Tavares quick feet and pace around those two cloggers they had at the back earlier.

Mucca Mad Boys

It depends on what you mean game changer. At 1-1 and under the cosh, sheaf and the formation change may have helped us get to grips with their formation change and wrestled the game back from them when they were totally on top. It would have changed the dynamic of the game.

There are different ways of changing games, obviously at 2-1 down you're looking for more dynamism and to try and create something.

Perhaps, but had we gone 2-1 down we’ve not got our best finisher on the pitch.

Personally, no on the bench has star quality. Shipley wouldn’t add more value than Allen, Hamer, Maatsen or COH. Tavares nor Waghorn would add more value than Gyo or Godden.

The squad is thin and frankly, we just don’t have game changers on the bench.

Mucca Mad Boys

Can anyone tell me how many substitutions we have used this season compared to other teams?

I found goals by substitute, and we are on 3 for the season in total. 3rd bottom of that league above Barnsley and Millwall!

I do feel Robins lacks a plan B and doesn´t have much faith in the changes he is bringing on. I find the inaction sometimes very frustrating.

No Plan B? We have the most points from losing positions in the league and we have the most goals in stoppage time in Europe.

Making subs isn’t a plan b and we don’t really have any depth outside the starters.

Frostie

Prior to today we had made 99 substitutions, our opponents 107.

Average minutes per game played by subs:
CCFC: 19
Opponents: 20

shmmeee

vs

Weve made the fewest in the division and used the fewest players. Again this is because we have a tiny squad not because we have some aversion to substitutes.

stay_up_skyblues

I would like to have seen Tavares quick feet and pace around those two cloggers they had at the back earlier.

Yeah I would like to have seen more of him but not at the expense of Godden or Gyo when we needed a goal. Which would mean taking a defender off as he did with Bidwell. Which then weakens us at the back against a very good forward line for Blackburn who quite possibly then go 2 up. In hindsight MR got it right based on the individual game imo.

Deity

If you are an outside bet for the play offs and drawing at home with 15 mins to go then you do need to be braver. A draw won’t cut it. You might as well
Lose going for the win. It’s that time of the season. We should have made exactly the sub we made but 15 mins earlier ….

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

No Plan B? We have the most points from losing positions in the league and we have the most goals in stoppage time in Europe.

Making subs isn’t a plan b and we don’t really have any depth outside the starters.

What you are talking about isn't really relevant to my point. Going 1-0 down and then scoring back has nothing to do with a Plan B. We usually continue in the same way we have started a game regardless.

How often do we make formation changes? I think we have had 5 at the back pretty much 100% of the season. How often do we counter what changes another team have made also? It is very rare that we see the other team start playing better or make their own substitutions or formation changes, and then do something about it.

As I posted, only 3 times our substitutions have scored this season. That can be for a multitude of reasons, but we are shite at responding to change in dynamics during a game.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Weve made the fewest in the division and used the fewest players. Again this is because we have a tiny squad not because we have some aversion to substitutes.

If we have made the fewest substitutions in the league then I would say that the manager does have an aversion towards them. The small squad might be part of the reason for that, and maybe he doesn´t trust all of his players, but it is a massive problem regardless. I would certainly like to see a healthier squad, but you cannot deny that we see Robins frequently make changes far too late. We could be two or three down at half time and the same team comes out. As much as I detest Mowbray, he saw they were struggling at half time and it resulted in them getting something from the game that they never would have following that first half, purely by making those changes.

stevefloyd

Good call because Godden was pretty rubbish today although he managed a few offsides

shmmeee

If we have made the fewest substitutions in the league then I would say that the manager does have an aversion towards them. The small squad might be part of the reason for that, and maybe he doesn´t trust all of his players, but it is a massive problem regardless. I would certainly like to see a healthier squad, but you cannot deny that we see Robins frequently make changes far too late. We could be two or three down at half time and the same team comes out. As much as I detest Mowbray, he saw they were struggling at half time and it resulted in them getting something from the game that they never would have following that first half, purely by making those changes.

But as others said we’ve won more points from losing positions than anyone, so whatever he’s doing is working. I think it’s a little simplistic to think subs are always the answer. Sure if you’ve got £20m worth of forwards to throw on, but when it’s a couple of kids and Jordan Shipley sticking with what you’ve got is probably the smart move. I think if we had even one more half decent attacker like a non-idiot Bright or even Giles last season we’d have seen them thrown on more, but we’ve basically lost Bright Walker and Waghorn as options this season for various reasons.

Users who are viewing this thread