The Battle Has Been Lost But Not The War (1 Viewer)

SkyBlueSwiss

They are calculated off official attendances which is paid tickets and cash through turnstiles combined with season ticket holders'. If advanced ticket purchasers attend or not they are counted in the attendance. The notion the club fiddle crowd figures is ludicrous.

Grendel,
This is what my response to you said, so why your original post? If it was meant to be sarcasm, then it didn't say it very well as I read your comments to mean (please allow me to paraphrase): "if the club claimed higher attendances than they actually had, they would end up paying more VAT than they had to, which would be a ridiculous action by the club, so the original poster must be wrong"
I believe - as another poster stated - that crowd numbers includes all season tickets sold for that season whether they actually go to the game or not.
I see this at my ice hockey club here in Switzerland; the big board flashes "Sold Out Again" yet there are hundreds of empty seats. The Swiss equivalent of Customs & Excise do not read this board and calculate the VAT payable by the club, it is based on the books of the club.

Grendel

I'm sure that in the good old days football attendances used to actually number the people who were in the ground, rather than the tickets that were sold. The definition of the word implies that this is exactly what it should be! Of course it suits SISU to announce the tickets sold as the attendance figure, as it is inevitably higher. Come on, even SISU's second biggest fan must be capable of seeing this for the not-so-subtle figures massaging that it is?

Every club does this -- it's the official attendance. Your paranoia knows no bounds -- no doubt they are monitoring your calls and e-mails as well.

Brighton Sky Blue

I'm sure that in the good old days football attendances used to actually number the people who were in the ground, rather than the tickets that were sold. The definition of the word implies that this is exactly what it should be! Of course it suits SISU to announce the tickets sold as the attendance figure, as it is inevitably higher. Come on, even SISU's second biggest fan must be capable of seeing this for the not-so-subtle figures massaging that it is?

It is a little impractical to go counting every single person in the ground so they have to go off the next best thing-tickets sold alongside ST holders. Obviously this isn't going to be 100% accurate but there's no other way!

SkyBlueSwiss

It is a little impractical to go counting every single person in the ground so they have to go off the next best thing-tickets sold alongside ST holders. Obviously this isn't going to be 100% accurate but there's no other way!

Does not every single person go through a turnstile that clocks them in? How difficult can it be to pull the real numbers off the computer?
This is how entrance to stadiums work here, and I find it hard to believe that the Ricoh turnstiles would be purely mechanical affairs unable to perform this simple function.

Brighton Sky Blue

Does not every single person go through a turnstile that clocks them in? How difficult can it be to pull the real numbers off the computer?
This is how entrance to stadiums work here, and I find it hard to believe that the Ricoh turnstiles would be purely mechanical affairs unable to perform this simple function.

Not sure if every turnstile does that Swiss though it would make more sense.

stupot07

No, disabled supporters and their chaperones, and some elderly supporters tend to go the doors rather than turnstiles, then you have all those in the mainstand and boxes who go through the posh main entrance.

Nonleagueherewecome

No, disabled supporters and their chaperones, and some elderly supporters tend to go the doors rather than turnstiles, then you have all those in the mainstand and boxes who go through the posh main entrance.

So simply assume those hard/impossible to count ticket holders are always there and then count those that do access via the turnstiles.

stupot07

Last edited:

SkyBlue_Bear83

Why does anyone give a shit about wether attendances are on tickets sold or people who enter through the turnstiles?

It's not a big deal either way and typical city fans looking to moan about something

Users who are viewing this thread