The EU: In, out, shake it all about.... (73 Viewers)

As of right now, how are thinking of voting? In or out

• Remain

Votes: 23 37.1%
  • Leave

Votes: 35 56.5%
  • Undecided

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • Not registered or not intention to vote

Votes: 1 1.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

martcov

So Germany doesn't give the EU billions?

Yes it does, but the East has received billions and billions from people like me through the Solidaritätsbeitrag ( solidarity contribution - an extra income tax ) and the EU through regional support. Unlike your claim that the East receives nothing.

fernandopartridge

Yes it does, but the East has received billions and billions from people like me through the Solidaritätsbeitrag ( solidarity contribution - an extra income tax ) and the EU through regional support. Unlike your claim that the East receives nothing.

Please stop falling into the trap that EU contributes anything. The EU's regional aid programmes are funded by the EU's net contributor countries. The EU is only the mechanism through which the money is redistributed.

martcov

Please stop falling into the trap that EU contributes anything. The EU's regional aid programmes are funded by the EU's net contributor countries. The EU is only the mechanism through which the money is redistributed.

Yes, but Astute was saying that the Eastern regions were getting nothing. They were getting regional aid from the EU ( no matter where it came from ) and the solidarity tax from taxpayers the whole time. It is not that these people were left totally alone and therefore voted AfD. They don't want foreigners, and in particular refugees, living in their area. That's it.

Astute

The East needs huge investment. The investment they get isn't enough. But they see billions going to the EU.

Germany is supposed to be one country again. What was a border is now an imaginary line that is moving East slowly. Another case of a country that could help its own instead of heavily contributing to a super state with poor countries that can't cope with the Euro.

The EU is a good idea.

The Euro is a good idea.

Not all good ideas work in practice.

Grendel

The East needs huge investment. The investment they get isn't enough. But they see billions going to the EU.

Germany is supposed to be one country again. What was a border is now an imaginary line that is moving East slowly. Another case of a country that could help its own instead of heavily contributing to a super state with poor countries that can't cope with the Euro.

The EU is a good idea.

The Euro is a good idea.

The Euro has only ever been a good idea for Germany

Astute

Yes, but Astute was saying that the Eastern regions were getting nothing. They were getting regional aid from the EU ( no matter where it came from ) and the solidarity tax from taxpayers the whole time. It is not that these people were left totally alone and therefore voted AfD. They don't want foreigners, and in particular refugees, living in their area. That's it.
Where does the money come from that you say comes from the EU?

The EU doesn't have a massive pot of billions going spare. They decide what is going where. Then they decide what countries should pay for it. They distribute a few countries wealth to all countries in the EU. That is why we pay in about 350 million a week but about half finds it way back. It doesn't go back to the taxpayer.

So the taxpayer pays the 350 million a week.

Kingokings204

The EU doesn't have a massive pot of billions going spare. They decide what is going where. Then they decide what countries should pay for it. They distribute a few countries wealth to all countries in the EU. That is why we pay in about 350 million a week but about half finds it way back. It doesn't go back to the taxpayer.

Always makes me laugh when people say "oh this building was built by EU money" and "we get EU funding for this project"

It's our money ffs, for every £2 we give we get £1 back and told where to spend it. EU money doesn't exist it's member states taxpayers money mainly Britain and German. No wonder they are shitting themselves they want our money and it's going to go. What was it 100b? Not hard to see what the EU is all about.

Sick Boy

Blimey, considering you claim to be 'neutral', I wouldn't like to see how you react when you're against something. ;)

skybluetony176

Think from the barny Boris had with the office for statistics didn't it come out that the actual figure is £361M but the rebate never gets paid out so it was more like £270M paid out, £90M never actually leaves the taxpayer to be paid back and then another X million (sorry can't remember the figure well enough to guess even) comes back to the UK for EU funded projects (especially areas like Wales and Cornwall), farming subsidies, fishing subsidies etc. etc?

Sick Boy

Wish we redistributed in this country from areas with cash to spare, to those that needed it.

Once we leave the EU, I fear London will accelerate into the stratosphere whilst the rest of us are neglected. A bit of rebalancing wouldn't go amiss.

I think those of us in London and the south east should take back control and stop funding the rest of you.

On a serious note, I expect that long term each part of the country will have more control over themselves.

Grendel

Wish we redistributed in this country from areas with cash to spare, to those that needed it.

Once we leave the EU, I fear London will accelerate into the stratosphere whilst the rest of us are neglected. A bit of rebalancing wouldn't go amiss.

It will be neglected to fund some ghetto in Krakov - smart idea

NorthernWisdom

On a serious note, I expect that long term each part of the country will have more control over themselves.
In itself, that wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing - it's the slightly bizarre thing with the increase in nationalism (small n) recently - not just UK as a whole, but Scotland, Wales even.

A devolved system going stadily upwards for deisions suits everybody more than a load of separate discrete entities repeating one another.

Be nice if the British goverment focussed on projects to take industry across the country though, not just to focus it on London. Now and again you think they're set to do that... and then something like HS2 comes along!

Astute

Blimey, considering you claim to be 'neutral', I wouldn't like to see how you react when you're against something. ;)
I dislike lies and false accusations. That is why I am sometimes seen to be defending SISU when all I am doing is saying what I either think or know as the truth. And I dislike SISU more than Juncker.

Astute

I couldn't agree any more.

We have areas of high deprivation. All they get these days is cuts. Some people seem to think that London is the only area in England. And they need slum areas for the riff raff that they don't want to mix with.

I would start with something like 50m a week going into social housebuilding. This would save billions in the end through not having to pay private landlords very high rents. And homeless people would have somewhere to live. Once that is on track start on slum clearing. This is supposed to be the 21st century.

Astute

I think those of us in London and the south east should take back control and stop funding the rest of you.

I can never see that happening. We pay tax to the government. They are based in London. Many of them have never been north of Watford Gap.

martcov

And gets a load back ... net is far less than 350 million- which has been proved a million times. The pro capita contribution is in realty peanuts. Making Europe a decent place to live, helping the poorer countries and improving the infrastructure is an absolute necessity if we want to prosper in a secure atmosphere.

You have to be pretty blinkered if you can't see that and pretty desperate to quote Billy Bullshit's ( BoJo's ) figures ...

martcov

The EU is a good idea.

The Euro is a good idea.

The East has had huge investment and will continue to need some investment. It will never be as rich as NRW or Berlin ( could become) or Hamburg- it never was before the war. That has to do with industrial history and geography - not the EU.

martcov

Always makes me laugh when people say "oh this building was built by EU money" and "we get EU funding for this project"

It's our money ffs, for every £2 we give we get £1 back and told where to spend it. EU money doesn't exist it's member states taxpayers money mainly Britain and German. No wonder they are shitting themselves they want our money and it's going to go. What was it 100b? Not hard to see what the EU is all about.

The alternative is us sitting on money and most of Europe starving. Total Victorian attitude as with the class system this attitude would develop in our own country. Sooner or later we would end up with a war in Europe as the poor nations would rise up. In the meantime we would have less people to sell to and a poor infrastructure in Europe to export any goods.

The greater picture is that we need a more equal and just Europe working together in unison. The last thing Europe needs is a group of nation states looking after themselves. It took us over a thousand years and countless wars to work that out. Pity some just can't work it out.

Astute

And gets a load back ... net is far less than 350 million- which has been proved a million times. The pro capita contribution is in realty peanuts. Making Europe a decent place to live, helping the poorer countries and improving the infrastructure is an absolute necessity if we want to prosper in a secure atmosphere.

You have to be pretty blinkered if you can't see that and pretty desperate to quote Billy Bullshit's ( BoJo's ) figures ...
I have always said net 175 million a week approx. It is you that sometimes quotes out of context.

But the money doesn't come back to the taxpayer. It goes where the EU says. And it isn't always worthwhile projects.

Yes a lot of it goes to farmers. Where does the rest go? It would be better if we had a bigger say.

Astute

The East has had huge investment and will continue to need some investment. It will never be as rich as NRW or Berlin ( could become) or Hamburg- it never was before the war. That has to do with industrial history and geography - not the EU.
And yet again who blamed the EU?

I said that they see Germany giving billions to the EU. This is true.

You said that the EU gives billions to eastern Germany. False. They give back some of the money Germany hands to the EU. They give some of the money that the UK hands to the EU.

martcov

And yet again who blamed the EU?

I said that they see Germany giving billions to the EU. This is true.

You said that the EU gives billions to eastern Germany. False. They give back some of the money Germany hands to the EU. They give some of the money that the UK hands to the EU.

I said that billions and billions come from the solidarity tax ( and the EU ). The majority is from West Germany- and it is billions..

Astute

I said that billions and billions come from the solidarity tax ( and the EU ). The majority is from West Germany- and it is billions..
Once again where doea the EU money come from?

Astute

Just because I think we should stay in the EU in our own interests doesn't mean I agree with everything in the EU. BTW.
So you agree that it needs massive reform?

Catch you later. Game is on.

Captain Dart

I know, truly there is dumb & dumber!

Users who are viewing this thread