Things that annoy you (16 Viewers)

JAM See

Nah. If you don’t accept cards in 2023 you hate money basically. And are probably dodgy as fuck anyway.
Just having a lovely pint in the Craftsman. Cash only.

No comment on your final sentence.

Sbarcher

Four guineas for a pint, bloody extortionate.

robbiekeane

They've got difficulty enough being competitive with larger supermarkets and the internet without having to put prices up to pay a disproportionate levy
That’s just nonsense. The average spend in a convenience store in Great Britain In 2021 was £10.82 (arguably abnormally high).

The average Merchant Service Charge is around 0.95%. That’s an increase in the average spend of 10p.

Thats not making anyone switch to buying their bottle of wine at Tesco

Nick

Administrator
They've got difficulty enough being competitive with larger supermarkets and the internet without having to put prices up to pay a disproportionate levy

It depends how much the transactions are.

It isn't the same as 15-20 years ago, you can get some that are around 0.3% for the fee now. It just depends if they want to cater for people who don't always have cash.

Sbarcher

I’ve been to a few pubs lately for a meal. I seldom carry cash and some of their card pads will not accept an additional amount for a tip. I think some serving staff are losing out on cash tips. (I’ve started to tuck a tenner in my card holder now).

shmmeee

I’ve been to a few pubs lately for a meal. I seldom carry cash and some of their card pads will not accept an additional amount for a tip. I think some serving staff are losing out on cash tips. (I’ve started to tuck a tenner in my card holder now).

I either say “buy one for yourself” or straight up as if I can add a tip on these days. Usually the former in a pub.

Grendel

That’s just nonsense. The average spend in a convenience store in Great Britain In 2021 was £10.82 (arguably abnormally high).

The average Merchant Service Charge is around 0.95%. That’s an increase in the average spend of 10p.

Thats not making anyone switch to buying their bottle of wine at Tesco

Says here it could be as high as 3.5%?

Nick

Administrator
Says here it could be as high as 3.5%?

You would think shop owners would research though.

Even a generic, beginner thing like Sumup is 1.69% and Square is 1.75% for basic startups. If you are a shop putting loads through then you would expect a lower rate.

robbiekeane

You would think shop owners would research though.

Even a generic, beginner thing like Sumup is 1.69% and Square is 1.75% for basic startups. If you are a shop putting loads through then you would expect a lower rate.
Beat me too it

people use these at farmers markets selling $1 avocados

fernandopartridge

No reason why they couldn't whack them in a corner shop.

If anything, they would get better rates.

Just had a look at the website that Grendel linked

so there is a per transaction fee of up to 3.5%
ongoing service charge
an authorisation fee of 1-3p per sale
merchant services fees of up to 0.35%

other items are chargeable on top

Margins are pretty tight in retail and if you've got plenty of people using your local shop paying cash, you're not going to increase charges just for those people who want to pay by card

Nick

Administrator

ongoing service charge

Margins are pretty tight in retail and if you've got plenty of people using your local shop paying cash, you're not going to increase charges just for those people who want to pay by card

Completely ignoring the very simple options I pointed out they could use.....

I am sure I could find much higher fees as well just in case shop keepers wanted to pay more than needed.

Realistically just accept cash and card, open to more people then.

robbiekeane

ongoing service charge

“Up to”
“As high as”

Or just use square at 1.6%-1.9%

The whole point is that plenty of people don’t use cash…just do the maths and average it out. Let’s be honest it’s for people who don’t want to pay tax isn’t it 😂 can we just say it how it is and not pretend that adding 20p to your bottle of Rose is the issue

Grendel

“Up to”
“As high as”

Or just use square at 1.6%-1.9%

The whole point is that plenty of people don’t use cash…just do the maths and average it out. Let’s be honest it’s for people who don’t want to pay tax isn’t it 😂 can we just say it how it is and not pretend that adding 20p to your bottle of Rose is the issue

A lot of businesses insist on cash not just for that

Skybluefaz

Quite a few businesses will be happy to not have the liability of having to keep higher amounts of cash for a number of reasons. Security and insurance mainly.

Just offer both though, 'the man' isn't trying to control society by making it cashless and some people just like carrying quids.

shmmeee

ongoing service charge

Why not? Loads of places used to add 20p for card payments and I was fine with that, if I really wanted the cheaper price I could go to the cash point.

Robinshio

businesses also have to pay to deposit cash - it is not a free service for a business
The differential accompanied with probably lower insurance costs and risk of being mugged make it more or less the same cost to businesses
The only ones who really want cash are those who potentially wouldn't declare all of their earnings

Nick

Administrator
Why not? Loads of places used to add 20p for card payments and I was fine with that, if I really wanted the cheaper price I could go to the cash point.

Or no card payments under £5.

Although loads of places have stopped with a minimum now, because the fees are much lower nowadays.

shmmeee

Delivery companies that give weirdly specific delivery times and still don’t deliver during that time. WHERES MY FUCKING PS5??

Blind-Faith

Womens football transfers creeping into transfer deadline day, no one gives a flying fuck, now piss off and get your own show, see how many people watch that!

Nick

Administrator
Womens football transfers creeping into transfer deadline day, no one gives a flying fuck, now piss off and get your own show, see how many people watch that!

I don't watch it any more, the way people seem to think that it's the only day to sign people and not the past 30.

itsabuzzard

My utter contempt for middle lane drivers reached peak ‘ram the cunts off the road’ level this evening when after coming through the M6 toll on my way back to Cov I was met with pretty much three clear lanes apart from one utter bellend bang in the middle lane doing about 60………..and to top it off he had his fucking fog light on!!!
Sorry!

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

chiefdave

not sure why they can't run separate feeds or make it obvious. been caught out with things like 'Man Utd make world record bid' and I'm thinking I've never heard of this player then it turns out its for the women's team

OffenhamSkyBlue

not sure why they can't run separate feeds or make it obvious. been caught out with things like 'Man Utd make world record bid' and I'm thinking I've never heard of this player then it turns out its for the women's team
I have to say i had to chuckle when finding out that the world record transfer fee in the women's game was £400,000! Kevin Keegan was sold from Liverpool to SV Hamburg in 1977 for £500,000 (which was reportedly what Arsenal wanted to pay Manure Women - to avoid any confusion - for Russo). So that means the women's game is officially 45 years behind in value terms. And they want to be paid equal wages???

Users who are viewing this thread