Thoughts on the state of British society? (1 Viewer)

Otis

Not much wrong with this country.....We are some of luckiest people on earth to live here......people need to get some perspective....

....are you a child soldier?
do you have to walk 10 miles to fetch rancid water that will kill you?
Have you & your family been blown up by allied forces in their pathetic "war on terror"?
Do your kids have to work 80 hours a week for a few pence just so some moaning twat in the UK can buy disposable fashion from Gap or Primark or Next?

No....but someone dropped a crisp packet or wore a t-shirt with swear words on it....boo hoo hoo.

Get a grip folks.

Brtain....its the same as it ever was......if you don't believe me...read some books.

It isn't the same. There is more aggression these days and people seem to have shorter fuses.

Things do change, of course they do. Did road rage exist 30 years ago? Did pretty much every shop in town have to have a security guard and anything other than clubs have bouncers?

We live in a faster more intense world these days and family time is not what it used to be. People travel further to go to their jobs and work longer hours and it has definitely changed.

There are some aspects that remain the same, but much has changed. As I said previously, it's the little things I notice, that in isolation don't appear that bad, but when added up together paint a much truer picture.

The feeling of benevolence towards others is sadly missing for a lot of people.

I know the 'when I was a lad' stuff and get what you are saying there.

A little thing I have noticed is stuff like when you go and catch a bus at say 3.15 p.m. at the end of the school day. There can be OAP's and people with walking sticks and mums with little babies and a very large majority of schoolkids just push straight past them all, jump the queue and board the bus before everyone else.

Doesn't bother me that much as I am fit and healthy and as long as I get on the bus I am not that fussed, but you can see how upsetting it is for the pensioners and more often than not if anyone says anything all they get is a volley of verbal abuse. Okay, a bit of 'things were different in my day' but it is true. Been catching buses for years and i see the change that has happened over a number years.

There are also a lot more angry drivers out there and you can see a flare-up nearly every single day.

As I say, silly little thing, but in some ways it is indicative of how things are now.

I saw a change in people in the 80's and I believe that to be factually accurate and you will hear a lot of people back up that argument.

Wasn't it Thatch who said there was no such thing as society anymore?

Last edited:

CCFCSteve

I agree with the comments saying the country isnt the same. There have been a huge number of improvements to our life and society over the years but there are also a number of inexcusable/unexplanable areas of disappointment

Firstly, nobody can say that the pretty much uncontrolled increase in the population (when we dont have the public money or jobs) is good for the country ? This is leading to larger numbers of people out of work than necessary and less money to spend on areas/people that really need the help.

Secondly, how can it be that we live in a society where people choose not to work when they are on benefits ?! The benefits system is flawed and should be set up to always encourage people to work for a living.

How can people in prison be treated better than old people/those living on the streets in terms of food and living conditions ?! (ie get 3 meals a day, a bed, heating etc). Give them the bear minimum and spend the money elsewhere.

How can someone who fought for our country be threatened with deportation when we cant get known terrorists out of the country?

How can I be fined for being ten mins late back to my car or a few miles over the speed limit, yet people appear to be let off scot free for far worse crimes.

How can we live in a society that lets peodophiles/killers/rapists back out on the streets after a few years, yet prison spaces are taken up by people who cant be deported or pose little threat to the outside world

I could go on...Unfortunately community spirit and society in general appears to be getting worse, whilst living standards, through technological advancements and benefits of gloabalisation, have improved. The fact is there are a number of things in society that appear to be counterintuitive and Im pretty disheartened/shocked than non of the political parties havent grasped this and dealt with them.

Finally I agree with the comment that we should be grateful to live in this country rather than one of the many less developed countries that dont have a fraction of the benefits that we have, however, that doesnt mean we shouldnt all strive to live in a better society and accept all thats wrong in the world today.

Otis

I agree with the comments saying the country isnt the same. There have been a huge number of improvements to our life and society over the years but there are also a number of inexcusable/unexplanable areas of disappointment

Firstly, nobody can say that the pretty much uncontrolled increase in the population (when we dont have the public money or jobs) is good for the country ? This is leading to larger numbers of people out of work than necessary and less money to spend on areas/people that really need the help.

Secondly, how can it be that we live in a society where people choose not to work when they are on benefits ?! The benefits system is flawed and should be set up to always encourage people to work for a living.

How can people in prison be treated better than old people/those living on the streets in terms of food and living conditions ?! (ie get 3 meals a day, a bed, heating etc). Give them the bear minimum and spend the money elsewhere.

How can someone who fought for our country be threatened with deportation when we cant get known terrorists out of the country?

How can I be fined for being ten mins late back to my car or a few miles over the speed limit, yet people appear to be let off scot free for far worse crimes.

How can we live in a society that lets peodophiles/killers/rapists back out on the streets after a few years, yet prison spaces are taken up by people who cant be deported or pose little threat to the outside world

I could go on...Unfortunately community spirit and society in general appears to be getting worse, whilst living standards, through technological advancements and benefits of gloabalisation, have improved. The fact is there are a number of things in society that appear to be counterintuitive and Im pretty disheartened/shocked than non of the political parties havent grasped this and dealt with them.

Finally I agree with the comment that we should be grateful to live in this country rather than one of the many less developed countries that dont have a fraction of the benefits that we have, however, that doesnt mean we shouldnt all strive to live in a better society and accept all thats wrong in the world today.

Porridge??

Macca

It's the selfishness of people, I m alright jack mentality. There are some real exceptions of course. But i always wonder what would happen if a WW2 situation occurred. Pretty sure we would defeat ourselves. People couldnt handle the austerity, god forbid rationing. Anyway I guess it's the natural progression of things once a society has been built up everybody wants a slice of things. It's happening to us and the western world. It will happen to china and the other developing countries eventually.

Marty

It's the selfishness of people, I m alright jack mentality. There are some real exceptions of course. But i always wonder what would happen if a WW2 situation occurred. Pretty sure we would defeat ourselves. People couldnt handle the austerity, god forbid rationing. Anyway I guess it's the natural progression of things once a society has been built up everybody wants a slice of things. It's happening to us and the western world. It will happen to china and the other developing countries eventually.

I think we'll find this out sooner then we think. Once the euro zone crumbles, it'll be every country for it's self.

CCFCSteve

Porridge??

Well that and bread and dripping for lunch.

Seriously though, they find that in hospitals the meals they provide are sometimes deficient in the necessary vitamins and minerals (this when people are desperate for all the help needed to recover) yet we still probably fork out the same amount for prisoners

Being an old git and getting older I look at our society now and wonder at the new technology, the ease of travel the perceived opulence of the material things anyone (virtually) can purchase and then I look back at what I came through all those years ago the 40's/50's/60's/70's/80's/90's and now the 00's.

And before anyone shouts out "during the war" as per Del Boy when Uncle Albert starts his naval experiences I can see an unbelievable change in circumstances from then to now:

Housing:
* no central heating, no inside toilet, no bathing facilities unless in a large tin bath in front of the fire, no freezer/fridge/washing m/c/dishwasher/tumble dryer,

Transport:
* only 2 cars in one street where I was brought up in Earlsdon, cycling/walking/public transport the norm - holidays abroad unheard of

Communication:
* one 9" television in whole of street, no telephones of any sort, tragic news travelled by hand delivered telegram - 4 days from Yorkshire to Coventry for my grandfathers death

Entertainment:
* local pub - restricted hours, a few dance halls cinemas, no night clubs/late venues

Discipline:
* schools run with rod of iron, no classroom disruptions - severe "whack" soon stopped any trouble - my father issued curfews even when I was 16+ mightily embarrassing

I could go on but before you all nod off after enduring my "during the war" diatribe I am pretty sure I can say we lost our way morally and ethically when the shift to material goods and services exploded in the 60's and 70's when people lost respect for each other.

I would never subscribe to my upbringing as ideal and better than today - some of it was utter crap but I believe there is still a lot of goodness out there then and today and probably because I had a very strict upbringing I still carry out day to day a variety of handed down (trivial, you might say) virtues, like:

* opening doors for people
* not throwing litter on floor
* giving thanks when required
* giving people time of day
* not ridiculing people out of hand

Wake up there at the back - that's all for now - I'll post some of the crazy things my old man used to instil on me and two brothers during our childhood.

PUSB

Macca

Being an old git and getting older I look at our society now and wonder at the new technology, the ease of travel the perceived opulence of the material things anyone (virtually) can purchase and then I look back at what I came through all those years ago the 40's/50's/60's/70's/80's/90's and now the 00's.

And before anyone shouts out "during the war" as per Del Boy when Uncle Albert starts his naval experiences I can see an unbelievable change in circumstances from then to now:

Housing:
* no central heating, no inside toilet, no bathing facilities unless in a large tin bath in front of the fire, no freezer/fridge/washing m/c/dishwasher/tumble dryer,

Transport:
* only 2 cars in one street where I was brought up in Earlsdon, cycling/walking/public transport the norm - holidays abroad unheard of

Communication:
* one 9" television in whole of street, no telephones of any sort, tragic news travelled by hand delivered telegram - 4 days from Yorkshire to Coventry for my grandfathers death

Entertainment:
* local pub - restricted hours, a few dance halls cinemas, no night clubs/late venues

Discipline:
* schools run with rod of iron, no classroom disruptions - severe "whack" soon stopped any trouble - my father issued curfews even when I was 16+ mightily embarrassing

I could go on but before you all nod off after enduring my "during the war" diatribe I am pretty sure I can say we lost our way morally and ethically when the shift to material goods and services exploded in the 60's and 70's when people lost respect for each other.

I would never subscribe to my upbringing as ideal and better than today - some of it was utter crap but I believe there is still a lot of goodness out there then and today and probably because I had a very strict upbringing I still carry out day to day a variety of handed down (trivial, you might say) virtues, like:

Wake up there at the back - that's all for now - I'll post some of the crazy things my old man used to instil on me and two brothers during our childhood.

PUSB

JR I m not yet 40 but agree with you all the way

stupot07

Housing:

Transport:

Communication:

Entertainment:

Discipline:

PUSB

I am 32 and those virtues were taught to me by my family, in fact the wife gets a bit annoyed when I'm still stood there holding doors open for people in shops. I will be teaching my boys these virtues because I believe that manners don't cost a thing.

Macca

We must be fair though. Lots of things have changed for the better but it's the things like manners and being thoughtful that has changed. Over the last few days of this weather I am also amazed by the shocking state people leave the house in. If you ve got it flaunt it doesn't extend to a massive beer belly, and that goes for the men too !!

Tad

As much of a muppet as he is, what a waste of tax money this is. Does it really need to become a police matter?

jimmyhillsfanclub

Exactly Tad.

The world is full of gobby little no-marks....and twatter & facebook are full of them....

So what....some nobody said something offensive on the internet......big deal.

Anyone with a twatter account that does not protect their bleats & account should have absolutely no complaints about trolling......

Its like moaning about the weather......pointless....you can't stop it, so either stay in or put a coat on.

Users who are viewing this thread