Today was a disaster (1 Viewer)

pusbccfc

Today could, and should have been a good idea.

It wasn't.

Firstly, the fanzone was poorly planned. One bar selling alcohol was clearly not enough. Took me 25 minutes to get a £4.30 pint. On top of that, there wasn't as much for the kids to do as I thought there would be.

Secondly, more than half of the people with free tickets didn't turn up. Both stands behind the goal were half full. People clearly ordered 6 tickets on the basis that they may go. The fact that there was free parking today (albeit not directly at the ground) added to the very disappointing effort from those who couldn't be arsed.

Thirdly, the atmosphere was rubbish before, during and after the game. It was clear from minute one that the majority of people around me had never been before. Not even an attempt to join in with the atmosphere. The difference between today's '28,000' with the 10,000 against Stoke was incredible. Every supporter made an effort that day. In fact, the atmosphere at most league games this season were better than today.

Fourthly, the team were awful. We've been poor most of the season, but today was possibly the worst. Silly mistakes, offered nothing going forward and defensively a mess. Once we went 1-0 down it was clear we were not going to get anything from the game. A day where you could have attracted a few more supporters to come back for the important run in, couldn't have gone any worse. I can't see any of those 'new' fans wanting to return in a couple of weeks.

Finally, the scoreboard displaying the lyrics to the Coventry song. Truly embarrassing. We are Coventry City, we are better than that. That's something our good egg-chasing insect friends would do. Part of the experience of becoming a football fan as a kid is learning the songs off your parents, or picking it up overtime. Alongside the 'text a sub' idea as the most tinpot thing the club has ever done.

Bring on Colchester and Brighton standing alongside supporters who actually want to be there to back the team and club.

oucho

Any estimates what the "actual" attendance was, as opposed to the advertised attendance once non-turnups are discounted from the total?

oucho

‘Twas a friggin disaster

Shame
We had a rollicking great turnout for a team with one of the lowest away followings in professional football, a real credit to the club's efforts no matter what the atmosphere in the ground or the team's performance on the pitch. To get 20k+ for Accrington at home in February in League Two is a colossal achievement.

How can you call that a disaster?

pusbccfc

We had a rollicking great turnout for a team with one of the lowest away followings in professional football, a real credit to the club's efforts no matter what the atmosphere in the ground or the team's performance on the pitch. To get 20k+ for Accrington at home in February in League Two is a colossal achievement.

How can you call that a disaster?

For the reasons I mentioned. We gave away 14,000 tickets and a clearly half of them still couldn't be arsed to go.

How many of those who went today for the first time in ages will be at the next home game?

oucho

For the reasons I mentioned. We gave away 14,000 tickets and a clearly half of them still couldn't be arsed to go.

How many of those who went today for the first time in ages will be at the next home game?
What would you say was the actual turnout?

hill83

Thirdly, the atmosphere was rubbish before, during and after the game. It was clear from minute one that the majority of people around me had never been before. Not even an attempt to join in with the atmosphere.

Everyone has to start somewhere. I'm sure you weren't bellowing out all the chants at your first ever game.

clint van damme

in the grand scheme of things does it matter?
22,000 is probably better that 26,000 because that's 4.000 people who won't have been turned off of football for life.

speedie87

Hope the blokes I had the misfortune to have behind me don’t bother coming again think the loudest cheer of day by me was when they left early

Their kids are lucky lads to have dads like them... not

oucho

Getting 20k plus for a fourth tier game is a massive achievement and I hope everyone at the club gets a good pat on the back for making it happen. Great work all !!

chiefdave

Yes what a terrible idea with thousands of kids who have never been to a game before to put the words up for them.

Nick

Administrator
What were the phone lights about?

Had no issues with "new" people there apart from the guy somewhere near me giving running commentary about how he "told him so" about everything.

Thought the atmosphere was very flat compared to some games but the only way I can compare it is that boddy, Mark hornby and everybody who organised it bigging up their mate who then turns up drunk with coke round his face, on another planet after they have been bigging them up all week at work.

Limey

I know when I've taken my kids that, for the most part, they are oblivious to the actual score but they enjoy going to the ground, seeing sky blue Sam and making stuff in the kids zone.
Despite the overall crap nature of today's showing, the club needs to be applauded for today and keep up with these offers.

Amcoventry

Had no issues with "new" people there apart from the guy giving running commentary about how he "told him so" about everything.
Had probably told his mate we were crap. Before the game.

Otis

This is what I don't get about people being happy with the playoffs, while the likes of myself have been saying top 3 and the certainty of promotion.

Don't think many of you can tell me you weren't thinking the same as me today. Got the t-shirt, been here before!

Could you not see this exact same day being replicated in the home leg of any play-off game? It immediately crossed my mind.

Been here too many times. Big expectation, big crowd, team don't turn up, atmosphere goes flat, we lose.

Can see that exact same scenario arising if we did make the top 7 and entered the playoff stages.

Mcbean

Made me smile as two come past us with a pint in each hand - no probs - was only disappointed with the display - DKE at right back was a no no

Users who are viewing this thread