Toys from your Childhood (1 Viewer)

Malaka

I was doing some thing in my 8 year old's bedroom and he has a lovely carved wooden toy box that is rammed and he never opens it.
Kids don't seem to like toys anymore, but I remember getting this bad boy for christmas, one of my all time favourite christmas presents. I loved my Johnny 7
What was your favourite?

Attachments

• upload_2016-9-24_21-41-4.png
    upload_2016-9-24_21-41-4.png
    23 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:

vow

Tonka Toys
Action Man - My Auntie used to knit gear for him, ski jumpers, balaclava's etc.

Malaka

I liked Action Man, I wanted the one with eagle eyes but never got one

vow

I liked Action Man, I wanted the one with eagle eyes but never got one
Fortunately, I did have him.
Trying to think of the advert on TV and the little ditty.

eastwoodsdustman

I was doing some thing in my 8 year old's bedroom and he has a lovely carved wooden toy box that is rammed and he never opens it.
Kids don't seem to like toys anymore, but I remember getting this bad boy for christmas, one of my all time favourite christmas presents. I loved my Johnny 7
What was your favourite?

My mate had that gun as a kid. It was an awsome piece of kit in a 10 year olds hands.

Had tons of action man stuff. Training tower, tanks, jeep and a motorbike. Spent days on end in the garden with it all.
Toy soldiers was another. I had hundreds of them.

eastwoodsdustman

evel kni
url
evel wind up and go motorbike

Got one of these a few years back on the bay. If you get one then a christmas annual makes a great ramp for jumps;)

vow

Just found this too, Narrated by Matt Berry, Battlefield Casulaties starring PTSD Action Man!

Ian1779

Proper Transformers... Not this plastic shit they have now.

I had Soundwave and Grimlock... But always wanted the Pteradactyl but could never get my hands on it - think it was called Swoop

Gazolba

This will probably pre-date what most of you guys remember ... but back when I was little, Westerns were the big thing on TV (The Cisco Kid, The Lone Ranger, Boots and Saddles etc.) and every kid wanted a cap gun. You could buy rolls of 'caps' which you loaded into the gun and each time you pulled the trigger a hammer would come down on the next cap in line and make a bang and you could smell the gunpowder. I managed to find a machine gun (in the toy department of the Co-op on Corporation Street). With it, you could pull down the trigger and it would fire repeatedly until the whole roll of caps was fired. It was a fantastic toy, but the firing mechanism only lasted a short time before it broke. Back in those days, every toy was Made in Britain.

Marty

I had a crash test dummies car that I loved. Smash it up. Spend 20 mins rebuilding it before smashing it again.

Still got my Action Man from my childhood in the loft.

wingy

This will probably pre-date what most of you guys remember ... but back when I was little, Westerns were the big thing on TV (The Cisco Kid, The Lone Ranger, Boots and Saddles etc.) and every kid wanted a cap gun. You could buy rolls of 'caps' which you loaded into the gun and each time you pulled the trigger a hammer would come down on the next cap in line and make a bang and you could smell the gunpowder. I managed to find a machine gun (in the toy department of the Co-op on Corporation Street). With it, you could pull down the trigger and it would fire repeatedly until the whole roll of caps was fired. It was a fantastic toy, but the firing mechanism only lasted a short time before it broke. Back in those days, every toy was Made in Britain.
Oh yeah they were great
Living out in the sticks we'd get snowed in now and again and 63 was a bad winter but I think it was later when me and my Bro got a couple of machine guns one Christmas.
They had a magazine full of plastic bullets and we'd shoot the hell out of each other over the snowdrifts.
Happy days.

Edit
I think there was also a mini bomb that you could load with caps. Throw it up in the air and get the bang as it landed.

Rusty Trombone

Not sure whether it classes as a toy, but used to play with these 2 little metal dice for hours and hours, making up teams and writing down all the scores.

Gazolba

Not sure whether it classes as a toy, but used to play with these 2 little metal dice for hours and hours, making up teams and writing down all the scores.
Kids at Caludon would scrape the paint off the sides of a hexagonal pencil and write on the bare wood, cricket scores 0,1,2,4,6,Out. They would then roll the pencil (could be done in class since it was just a pencil) and accumulate a score until it landed on 'Out'. Then they would roll the same pencil which had another scraped off area containing the various methods of getting out: Caught, Bowled, Lbw etc. You can have so much fun with just a pencil. We didn't need electronic devices back then.

Gazolba

Does anyone remember "Rockem Sockem" the fighting robots. I never had it but a mate did, it was great.
I remember a game called 'Escalado'. It was a horse-racing game. I desperately wanted it, but my parents never bought me one. I think it ruined my life. They are now collectors items for sale on eBay.

Last edited:

no_loyalty

Big Trak, I once attempted to deliver a cup of tea to the old man in the Big Trak trailer, but got a command wrong and it ended up smashing into the wall with the tea going everywhere.

I also liked the 1984 original Hasbro Optimus prime (which I still have)

Last edited:

Johnnythespider

I had Striker and Test Match
ea6ceb4e085abe10fbf8378258218d87.png
6e6ab50343619e84cd885e1de24fd036.png
Yep I had striker, it was quite simply the best football game there has ever been. Payers that kicked the ball and goalkeepers that actually dived and saved shots, I can safely say I loved it, until a visiting clod Hopping cousin trod on one of the goals while I was playing it with her brother on the kitchen floor. I don't think I will ever get over that.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

no_loyalty

Yep I had striker, it was quite simply the best football game there has ever been. Payers that kicked the ball and goalkeepers that actually dived and saved shots, I can safely say I loved it, until a visiting clod Hopping cousin trod on one of the goals while I was playing it with her brother on the kitchen floor. I don't think I will ever get over that.

Was this pre Subuteo?

Johnnythespider

No I think the flicky game was first, I've never understood why it is more popular.

Sky_Blue_Daz

A CHiPS motorised kids motor bike it was ace,

Malaka

I also remember I wanted a bike, I was taken to Alf England's in Bedworth and sat on a Yellow Chopper "Yes" I thought until

upload_2016-9-27_8-16-20.png

I got this bone shaker instead. Wounded!!!!

olderskyblue

When I was a kid, my favourite toys were called swoppets. Westerns were the thing to watch, and you could get swoppet cowboys and "native americans". They were quite detailed, and "swoppable" The head or legs could come off and mix and match with others. Used to get them from a shop called Swifts i think, by the General Wolf.

The neckerchief, holsters, guns etc were all individual pieces, as were the bow and arrow, head-dresses, knives etc. Even the saddles on the horses came off.

ajsccfc

Outside the normal Transformers, He-Man and Lego, I also liked

f5d54398de60d32ef4432ee23b086e45.jpg

WWF Hasbro

f44f8e946cec5bc9fbff9527ede6fd84.jpg

Visionaries

mask_raven.jpg

M-M-M-Mask (MASK!)

In addition to Subbuteo I had Cup Final which by the same people as Test Match. Three a side with the outfield players having gimmicked lob and shoot feet and possession depending on what side of the ball showed which colour. Kids today don't know how good they've got it.

1420383_140702072345_IMG_4255.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread