Unpopular Opinions (1 Viewer)

fernandopartridge

Joe Cole was a fucking shit signing and detrimental to that season.
Think a lot of people reached that conclusion at the time didn't they? To be honest I don't think he was detrimental or beneficial to the season, just a bit of a waste of time

Tommo1993

Think a lot of people reached that conclusion at the time didn't they? To be honest I don't think he was detrimental or beneficial to the season, just a bit of a waste of time

Maybe on here, I wasn’t a member at the time. I can just remember getting a lot of stick from people I used to go with for not wanting him in the team.

Grendel

Maybe on here, I wasn’t a member at the time. I can just remember getting a lot of stick from people I used to go with for not wanting him in the team.

this thread if anyone can be bothered to go through it is truly hilarious

it shows why Tony “the Cole fan” gave up posting about football any more

Who really came up with Grendull (far too clever for Tony)

Astute in full Arsetute mode

What sick boy really thinks of Tony before ukip save the pound Tony went full woke

And how the Cole experiment really was a Mowbray vanity project that was a true fuck up

Alan Dugdales Moustache

I thought Jedwood were brilliant.

Sick Boy

What sick boy really thinks of Tony before ukip save the pound Tony went full woke

And how the Cole experiment really was a Mowbray vanity project that was a true fuck up

I’ve mellowed in my fast approaching middle age.

NorthernWisdom

That thread's mental - there are even people saying how much they like RCC

Esoterica

Anyway, my unpopular opinion: Robins massively underperformed with our league 2 promotion team due to his negative tactics. We should have comfortably challenged for the autos but sat with 2 deep lying defensive midfielders whether we were home or away and whether playing Luton or Newport. He relied almost entirely on Jodi Jones until he was injured and then got lucky with McNulty’s once in his career purple patch.

Saddlebrains

Anyway, my unpopular opinion: Robins massively underperformed with our league 2 promotion team due to his negative tactics. We should have comfortably challenged for the autos but sat with 2 deep lying defensive midfielders whether we were home or away and whether playing Luton or Newport. He relied almost entirely on Jodi Jones until he was injured and then got lucky with McNulty’s once in his career purple patch.

Never thought of it like that but now you mention it youve got a really good point

GaryMabbuttsLeftKnee

There are too many penalties given in games. The media have managed to convince the public that every minor infringement in the penalty box is a penalty through over analysis/critique. Everyone constantly calls for a ridiculously unjust punishment for the majority of incidents. If we're going to go down that route, rules need to be changed to reflect this and free kicks allowable in the 18 yard area for less serious fouls.

ceetee

There are too many penalties given in games. The media have managed to convince the public that every minor infringement in the penalty box is a penalty through over analysis/critique. Everyone constantly calls for a ridiculously unjust punishment for the majority of incidents. If we're going to go down that route, rules need to be changed to reflect this and free kicks allowable in the 18 yard area for less serious fouls.
I agree.

When I was young enough, and almost fit enough to play, indirect free kicks were commonly given for obstruction. There seems to be no such offence as obstruction these days

Grendel

Cracking read that. Thick boy though, its so simple yet i never thought of it. Brilliant.

Devasted that Sick Boy turned his back on me - or to be exact now turns his back for Tony - just because his brexit bulge is bigger than mine

Esoterica

Never thought of it like that but now you mention it youve got a really good point
Our main source of goal threat was to get Grimmer overlapping Jones, while Kelly dropped into right back to cover. You could have put up a Big Top circus tent in the gap between our central midfield and strikers. It was so flawed and predictable.

Fortunately Robins had put together a squad that was individually so much better than the majority of the division, that even under-performing as a collective meant we were still better than most teams. I still maintain the best signing since Robins arrived has been Viveash.

Saddlebrains

Our main source of goal threat was to get Grimmer overlapping Jones, while Kelly dropped into right back to cover. You could have put up a Big Top circus tent in the gap between our central midfield and strikers. It was so flawed and predictable.

Fortunately Robins had put together a squad that was individually so much better than the majority of the division, that even under-performing as a collective meant we were still better than most teams. I still maintain the best signing since Robins arrived has been Viveash.

Add on top of that he got Lucky With the emergence of Bayliss and Shipley aswell

Andreau was a sick note and Vincenti dog shit. Allowing Bayliss and Shipley to play and the rest is history

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Agree entirely.

There are plenty of incidents, esp handball, that you think a penalty is an excessive punishment but the attacking team have been disadvantaged by it and deserve something. So why not have free-kicks in the area for accidental handball etc?

On a similar note, and probably unpopular, is that I'd change the shape of the penalty area to more of a trapezoid, so it reflects the likelihood of a chance being scored. If you're on the byline at the edge of the 18y box, then there's very little chance you're going to score. But if you get fouled you'll get a penalty. If you're in the 'D' and get fouled you only get a free kick, even though you're far more likely to score from there.

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

Agreed. If we hadn’t won the play offs - Robins should have gone. But we went on and won and the rest is history.

I’d go one step further and say Jones getting injured saved us. We had a change in formation which ultimately led to us playing to McNulty’s strengths

Finham

The Premiership is the highest quality league in the world, with the best players and managers watched by huge audiences in the the grounds and around the planet. What on earth is not to like? Remember the good old days? Bollox. 11,000 for a top flight game at Highfield Road? Crap football on crap pitches - the old 1st Division was a standard somewhere between current Championship and League 1. And a fair chance you would get beaten up by opposition 'fans'. That money you despise has brought a brilliant product to England, not Germany, France, Italy or Spain. If a plutocrat turned up at our door with bottomless pockets I bet you would suddenly change your tune.

It is because it is so fiercely competitive (good thing) that I have no interest in being promoted - plutocrat scenario excepted
This is partly why people hate the Premier League so much, bunch of cheats: Man City charged with breaking financial rules

Cobi Jones's Dreads

Tom Davies was our best defender in League 1 & League 2 and if it weren’t for him doing his collar bone would have stayed with us into the Championship.

Legia Sky Blue

Davies seemed to have a bit about him, certainly in the lower leagues, and I thought he had the potential to be much better than his subsequent career has turned out.

Sky Blue Pete

That’s fact isn’t it

alexccfc99

Perhaps but no harm was done and we got a cracking day out at Wembley for it

Agreed that the squad was capable of autos however

Briles

Robins thrives off working with a shoestring budget and would struggle if he got given a war chest

Soon to be a popular opinion

Brylowes

Soon to be a popular opinion
Popular with who ?
If you mean the same old faces who always come to the fore when results go against us 🤔 well yeah, of course.
In my honest opinion they will disappear just as quickly as they first appear, once the team settles and starts winning games, which will happen in time.
Mark Robins has performed miracles at this club and progressed the club year on year without any real funds whatsoever, and on what evidence do you base your opinion that he will fail to succeed when handed a war chest.
And let’s remember the only reason he has a ‘war chest‘ at all, is because he had to say goodbye to his 2 best players who HE bought for a combined £2m and increased their value to £35m in a couple of years.
Short fucking memories!!! 🙄

Users who are viewing this thread