US Gun Insanity (1 Viewer)

Marty

Yeah tony you bell...shit happened is all...
....babysitters should always carry guns....surely everyone agrees with that?

Not what I said is it, if they wanted to take photos with a gun, fine, but take the bullets out first, There are certain precautions to take. She's thick as fuck, simple as that, but you can't ban everything for a few incidents.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Not what I said is it, if they wanted to take photos with a gun, fine, but take the bullets out first, There are certain precautions to take. She's thick as fuck, simple as that, but you can't ban everything for a few incidents.

On the whole the ones that aren't thick as fuck don't carry firearms and want better gun control laws.

skybluetony176

73 accidental child deaths in the US in 2018. That’s just deaths, not including injuries. Add that to the 113 deliberate deaths of school children in America the same year purely from school attacks. Then you have all the children that are killed in America each year through criminal activity, can’t find a definitive number for that.

Last edited:

clint van damme

no-ones on about banning everything, they're on about banning guns. That way death by guns is low like Europe, Japan, etc and not high like America. It's a simple concept unless you're in total denial.

tisza

Something fundamentally wrong with basing gun laws on a document written over 200 years. Written in a different set of circumstances/era.

Christian countries don't take all the 10 commandments and say they all have to be enforced or used as a basis for laws.

Liquid Gold

Same as homophobes using the bible to justify their hatred, they don't stone people, keep slaves and still wear mixed fabrics. The 2nd amendment is an excuse for them to keep their toys.

duffer

Something fundamentally wrong with basing gun laws on a document written over 200 years. Written in a different set of circumstances/era.

Christian countries don't take all the 10 commandments and say they all have to be enforced or used as a basis for laws.

In fairness, it seems pretty obvious to most people that the 2nd amendment was never intended as a open invitation for everyone to be able to keep and bear arms; it was about maintaining "a well regulated Militia ... to secure the free state". So the clear inference is that if you're not part of a well-regulated militia, there is no implied right to gun ownership.

The misunderstanding, if indeed it is one, is really down to a single comma...

Now the Swiss have a well-regulated militia, and there are a lot of guns in (well-trained) private hands as a result. But they have nothing like the problems that we see in the US, probably because they still have very strict gun controls. There's a good article on this here.

My personal opinion on it - it's blindingly obvious that strong gun controls mean that the population as a whole is far, far safer. Statistically, in fact, owning a gun significantly increases your chances of being killed by one. There is no rational argument against gun control, which is the NRA and its supporters have to do their best to avoid logic.

clint van damme

In fairness, it seems pretty obvious to most people that the 2nd amendment was never intended as a open invitation for everyone to be able to keep and bear arms; it was about maintaining "a well regulated Militia ... to secure the free state". So the clear inference is that if you're not part of a well-regulated militia, there is no implied right to gun ownership.

The misunderstanding, if indeed it is one, is really down to a single comma...

Now the Swiss have a well-regulated militia, and there are a lot of guns in (well-trained) private hands as a result. But they have nothing like the problems that we see in the US, probably because they still have very strict gun controls. There's a good article on this here.

There is no rational argument against gun control, which is the NRA and its supporters have to do their best to avoid logic.

Spot on. I've heard various arguments in this country about how to deal with the current knife crime problem. But I've not heard one person calling for more people to carry knives.

duffer

Spot on. I've heard various arguments in this country about how to deal with the current knife crime problem. But I've not heard one person calling for more people to carry knives.

Maybe if we had more good people carrying bigger, faster knives, we could solve the problem. :)

Another point, whilst I'm banging on about it, when the Constitution took effect 'arms' were basically smoothbore-muskets - effective at a short-distance but twenty seconds or so to reload. So not much use for killing, say, twenty schoolchildren before being kicked to death by an angry PE teacher or two. If the right to keep and bear arms were limited to those kind of weapons, then it perhaps wouldn't be so much of a problem.

Alternatively, if the founding fathers meant for individuals to have the same powers as state actors (i.e. the military), to protect their freedom, then surely individuals should have the right to machine guns, grenade launchers and tactical nuclear weapons. It doesn't take long to pull down this argument against gun control either.

Philosorapter

The Bill of Rights is one of the main stumbling blocks in America. Well out of date and needs updating. The protections of individual rights are woeful.

American politics was tied up with an arm behind its back even before they started.

They nicked some great ideas from John Locke and screwed up their system of Government up by allowing political parties into the Senate.

The senate was never meant to be politically aligned to any national parties but to regional States.

The first thing what political parties do when coming up against a system of Government is to look how they can most use the system in their favour.

Philosorapter

When you got people like Antonin Scalia - Wikipedia who use to sit on the Supreme Court and his views then you got to worry about things in general.

I've always said America is one of the few countries in western civilisation which has never had a people's revolution.

tisza

The Bill of Rights is one of the main stumbling blocks in America. Well out of date and needs updating. The protections of individual rights are woeful.

American politics was tied up with an arm behind its back even before they started.

nicked some great ideas from John Locke and screwed up their system of Government up by allowing political parties into the Senate.

The senate was never meant to be politically aligned to any national parties but to regional States.

The first thing what political parties do when coming up against a system of Government is to look how they can most use the system in their favour.

At the time it was written the population of the 13 states was around 4 million with only 6% of them allowed to vote.
It was a simple system written for a simple time. They had no idea how it would be used & abused in the future,

re: 2nd amendment. It was still mainly flintlocks and muskets.
They had no concept of the firepower they'd be allowing people to own in the 21st century.

And it's no different from many less democratic regimes as the ultimate deciding voice is a politically appointed Supreme Court. e,g, The abortion issue will be revisited now the Supreme Court has this new political bias.

Philosorapter

At the time it was written the population of the 13 states was around 4 million with only 6% of them allowed to vote.
It was a simple system written for a simple time. They had no idea how it would be used & abused in the future,

re: 2nd amendment. It was still mainly flintlocks and muskets.
They had no concept of the firepower they'd be allowing people to own in the 21st century.

I fully agree.

Philosorapter

Seems it's our fault initially along with the Native Indian tribes.
The rest could be down to technological advance.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...an-indian-foundation-of-american-gun-culture/

This is behind a pay wall but it took till 1968 for the fair housing act to come in to force which finally put everyone onto some sort of level playing field in America.

This was mainly about giving Native Americans and others the rights of everyone else.

Civil Rights Act of 1968 - Wikipedia

skybluetony176

Obsessed.

Was actually at a shooting range only a couple of months ago, was great fun.
I agree. A shooting range is great fun. I was lucky enough to have regular access to a shooting range when I was a kid and be related to the WW2 hero responsible for the running of it. Under his tutelage and guidance I became a very decent shot. Also with the benefit of his experience I learnt respect for the gun. Which is why I know US gun laws are bollocks. If they had respect for them they wouldn’t have such a sense of entitlement to them.

Users who are viewing this thread