USSR invades Ukraine. (4 Viewers)

David O'Day

The Russian UN rep didn't look happy and had a strop at the UN

SkyBlueCharlie9

Putin was supportive of UK Brexit and let's hope this division between us and Europe doesn't hamper a coordinated response. NATO needs to take strong action and let's hope Bonking Boris gets his act together as his half hearted threat of economic sanctions was utterly embarrassing. Shameful day.

tisza

Shock here but not surprise.
Mistrust of Russia runs deep. Concern here seems to be any weakness from rest of the world will embolden Putin to continue to expand his territorial demands at later dates.
Interviews published this week of recently retired Russian military commanders saying Poland, Bulgaria and Hungary should be brought back into the Russian "fold" as well as Ukraine.
Putin like a crazy kid. Got all these shiny new weapons and wants to play with them.

CCFCSteve

Mistrust of Russia runs deep. Concern here seems to be any weakness from rest of the world will embolden Putin to continue to expand his territorial demands at later dates.
Interviews published this week of recently retired Russian military commanders saying Poland, Bulgaria and Hungary should be brought back into the Russian "fold" as well as Ukraine.
Putin like a crazy kid. Got all these shiny new weapons and wants to play with them.

I’d imagine NATO will bolster member borders. Not sure what people can class as weakness from rest of the world though. We can’t use military force and it looks like Putin will ignore sanctions. Tough calls ahead

Brighton Sky Blue

Talk of him wanting to ‘de-Nazify’ Ukraine, he’s a mad man who has turned his country into a pariah state overnight. Economic sanctions are not enough if he really is set on conquering the whole country.

Brighton Sky Blue

For all his games with the EU and cosying up to Putin to wind up the EU Orbán is well aware of the sensitivity of Hungarians to Russian expansionism. 1956 is ingrained in the Hungarian consciousness as well as other memories of Soviet occupation. Bullet holes are deliberately left in a lot of old buildings in Budapest as a constant living reminder.
Also in other East European states fears are based on comparatively recent history. Make no mistake all will be asking for increased NATO presence in their countries ( if Putin does try and take all of Ukraine) - particularly the Baltic States.
It's one thing for Eastern European countries to have various ties to Russia but that is only when Russia is not physically on the doorstep. Also a sizeable ethnic Hungarian population in Ukraine which he has always courted.
Also a general election here in April so whether he personally likes it or not he's not going to soft stepping around this one for now.

Indeed. I got to speak to someone who was there as a young man in 1956 who said as soon as he saw the tanks he ‘dropped his rifle and legged it’.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

Putin's speech on what would happen to any country who tries to stop him taking Ukraine makes me assume he's not ruling out nuclear weapons. Something along the lines of " the consequences will be something that no one has ever experienced in history"
He's a madman. Plain and simple.

Otis

Putin's speech on what would happen to any country who tries to stop him taking Ukraine makes me assume he's not ruling out nuclear weapons. Something along the lines of " the consequences will be something that no one has ever experienced in history"
He's a madman. Plain and simple.
Or a "lovely, warm human being" as far as my wife is concerned. 🤦

LastGarrison

Estonia certainly mean business as behind their Prime Minister is the EU flag, the Estonian flag and a Stone Island flag.

• Haha
Reactions: vow

Brighton Sky Blue

Or a "lovely, warm human being" as far as my wife is concerned. 🤦

Have watched a number of his interviews, he comes across as pretty intelligent and articulate which would be more than enough to convince the average Russian. Whether the world likes it or not there is only one way to deter a man like this and in the nuclear age I don’t see how it can be done without ending the world in the process

David O'Day

Putin isn't going attack full Nato members

tisza

Indeed. I got to speak to someone who was there as a young man in 1956 who said as soon as he saw the tanks he ‘dropped his rifle and legged it’.
My late father in-law was involved in pouring barrels of oil on the steep roads in Buda to stop the tanks being able to go up and down.
He was bombed by the Germans, Russians and Americans in WW2.
October 23 remains a huge national holiday here and a very emotional one amongst those who remember Soviet occupation.

Evo1883

They were, but this is now the full force.

Come on otis you know the west won't do anything , Ukraine are up shit creek without a paddle , Biden is weak , Johnson is a clown , macron shags grannies and putin doesn't give a fuck about any of them .. it's going one way right now

Brighton Sky Blue

Sorry for saying this, but I fear the only way to stop this is taking Putin out.

Do that and he is easily turned into a martyr by the person who follows. Without nukes the world could simply dogpile Russia from all sides and dismantle the regime. With them it seems impossibly difficult unless sanctions can be imposed to be so severe as equivalent to a counter invasion.

China is kingmaker here

Otis

Come on otis you know the west won't do anything , Ukraine are up shit creek without a paddle , Biden is weak , Johnson is a clown , macron shags grannies and putin doesn't give a fuck about any of them .. it's going one way right now
I am not saying they will. I am just saying this IS different to 2014. I haven't mentioned any retaliatory action. Just saying this is something much more major than last time, where Russia simply backed the rebels there

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Do that and he is easily turned into a martyr by the person who follows. Without nukes the world could simply dogpile Russia from all sides and dismantle the regime. With them it seems impossibly difficult unless sanctions can be imposed to be so severe as equivalent to a counter invasion.

China is kingmaker here

If no one stands up to him he is going to keep going. He has totally lost it and I don't see how any form of de-escalation can work here other than submission.

Imagine if we had voted Corbyn in and he had binned Trident. Doesn't bear thinking about at this moment in time.

duffer

China is kingmaker here

Politely disagree, this suits China very nicely. A weaker Russia and a distracted NATO is very handy for their global interests, imho, which is why they're staying on the sidelines.

What the West does now might well influence their approach to Taiwan though...

Brighton Sky Blue

If no one stands up to him he is going to keep going. He has totally lost it and I don't see how any form of de-escalation can work here other than submission.

Imagine if we had voted Corbyn in and he had binned Trident. Doesn't bear thinking about at this moment in time.

Did Blair not say that Trident strategically was obsolete and was there for show? In any case as history has shown the only way to stop people like this is to invade and get rid of them before they get rid of you.

But if he’s so mad as not to care about everyone getting killed then what next? He also has an enormous amount of territory he could relocate populations to which no other country really does.

Users who are viewing this thread