USSR invades Ukraine. (7 Viewers)

PVA

A long, but very interesting, read on the early hours and days of the invasion with particular focus on the defence of Kyiv and the incredible stories and bravery of ordinary people taking up arms to defend their country:

Grendel

Grendel

That's the the problem with taking such stupid, edgy, views. They always come back to make you look a total clown when you try and defend various other positions totally at odds to other views on other topics.

They are hardly edgy views

PVA

He didn’t have much facial hair here

Oh no! The horror!

It's only right that Ukraine is wiped off the map and it's population live under the rule of a murderous dictator who thinks they should not exist for such heinous crimes as, *checks notes*, having offshore accounts and buying real estate.

Grendel

Oh dear

skyblueinBaku

Oh no! The horror!

It's only right that Ukraine is wiped off the map and it's population live under the rule of a murderous dictator who thinks they should not exist for such heinous crimes as, *checks notes*, having offshore accounts and buying real estate.
That link doesn't work for me.

Sick Boy

But like Grendel you've asked way more questions of Ukraine than Russia.

Though at least you haven't gone as far as criticising Zelensky's dress sense more than Putin's war crimes like he has.
Not really. On this thread it you express any doubt about Ukraine winning the war, you’re marked down as being pro-Putin.

I put down opinion about it above after yet another opinion that wasn’t mine was credited to me and no one bothered to answer.

Grendel

Grendel

Imagine saying this with a straight face. You must have been laughing your tits off as you typed that.

Putin as I’ve said numerous times is a murdering gangster and his KGB background suits him well.

So what?

duffer

Probably just worth restating that the loss of a single town after months of fighting and huge numbers of Russian casualties, is hardly the end for Ukraine. They haven't been routed, it seems they've fallen back to an established defensive line (see link below).

Both sides are finding that breaking through well-prepared defensive lines, is difficult and costly.

Why some think this means we should stop supporting Ukraine is baffling to me.

Surely this is exactly the point at which the West needs to show its resolve, assuming we don't want Putin to win. Allowing a sovereign European democracy to fall to an autocratic dictator, seems unthinkable to me.

Grendel

Probably just worth restating that the loss of a single town after months of fighting and huge numbers of Russian casualties, is hardly the end for Ukraine. They haven't been routed, it seems they've fallen back to an established defensive line (see link below).

Both sides are finding that breaking through well-prepared defensive lines, is difficult and costly.

Surely this is exactly the point at which the West needs to show its resolve, assuming we don't want Putin to win. Allowing a sovereign European democracy to fall to an autocratic dictator, seems unthinkable to me.

What does a victory for Ukraine actually look like?

PVA

Indeed. They lost more men (~20k) in 4 months taking Avdiivka than they did in the entire 10 years of the Soviet-Afghan war.

That is not sustainable, even for Russia.

Last edited:

Grendel

Ohh the penny must have been so close to dropping when you wrote this.

No it’s just a fact. Putin managed to take the country as there was previously a hopeless drunk in charge. No one supports Putin anymore than they do the Chinese regime. This is though an irrelevance.

Grendel

Indeed. They lost more men (~20k) in 4 months taking Avdiivka than they did in the entire 10 years of the Soviet-Afghan war.

That is not sustainable, even for Russia.

According to a BBC report they have more troops on the ground now than at any time since the war started - so yeah it’s sustainable.

PVA

According to a BBC report they have more troops on the ground now than at any time since the war started - so yeah it’s sustainable.

Losing 20,000 men in 4 months to take one town is not sustainable.

And they're the same quality as the ones they've replaced are they?

What about equipment?

Grendel

Losing 20,000 men in 4 months to take one town is not sustainable.

And they're the same quality as the ones they've replaced are they?

What about equipment?

Ah ok so Ukraine victory is in sight 👍👍

Just a matter of time I guess.

Grendel

Appears very unlikely without a tilting of the scales. Which gives Putin the message that if he wants to grab land and take countries off the map we won’t stop him.

So you want a war against Russia?

Otis

What does a victory for Ukraine actually look like?
Celebrate Number 1 GIF by Awkwafina

Users who are viewing this thread