Was Strachen a Pointless Manager? (1 Viewer)

RegTheDonk

Not a dig at wee Gordon, but that was an answer on Pointless today.

Contestents were playing for £2,250 if they could name a City manager that nobody else did in their survey.

Hit the stopwatch lads, you've got 60 seconds to think of one. Actually, you get to pick three just in case.

Pretty sure we would all win the dosh, but how did they get on...

About 37 minutes in.

Offhegoes

I was surprised Phil Neal wasn’t pointless but Terry Butcher was!
re: Strachan. He did give us some good teams, and had to clear up the mess after Atkinson’s random signings. He was stubborn though and never sorted the defence out. Marcus Hall, Paul Williams and Richard Shaw could do no wrong it seemed. Still we would have stayed up if we had signed Hartson earlier, and despite being a prick, Bellamy turned into some player. If we’ stayed up and kept those two it could of been fruitful

torchomatic

He was a shit manager.

Finham

I was surprised Phil Neal wasn’t pointless but Terry Butcher was!
re: Strachan. He did give us some good teams, and had to clear up the mess after Atkinson’s random signings. He was stubborn though and never sorted the defence out. Marcus Hall, Paul Williams and Richard Shaw could do no wrong it seemed. Still we would have stayed up if we had signed Hartson earlier, and despite being a prick, Bellamy turned into some player. If we’ stayed up and kept those two it could of been fruitful
I'd say the problem with Hall was more that he fucked him around by playing has-been Burrows at LB ahead of him (sometimes using Hall in midfield). Hit Hall's confidence when he had been a top young LB previously.

Grendel

Harry Pollitt
Harry Storer
Don McKay

They would be my three

Hobo

Got to have James McIntyre and Harry Storer in there! If some of the others are pointless, then surely Jesse Carver and George Rayner, too.
They normally have since or between years rather than the whole history. Otherwise I m sure there would have been more than three pointless answers?

Grendel

They normally have since or between years rather than the whole history. Otherwise I m sure there would have been more than three pointless answers?

they only show a small selection on the programme

Bad Boy

Heck of a player manager for us and put much younger players on the same pitch to shame.
Think he bought into Bryan Richardson's vision and somehow lost his way as a result and should have resigned when we were relegated in May 2001.
I enjoyed some good days under Strachan.

JulianDarbyFTW

I'd have gone for one of Gordon Milne, Russell Slade, or Mark Venus, and Mark Venus would have been wrong as he was only caretaker manager - he had18 league games as caretaker, which must be close to a record. His actual win percentage during his managerial career (all as caretaker) is around 40%, which is better than a lot of full-time managers.

Sorry, I'm rambling.

joemercersaces

Joe Mercer, unsurprisingly perhaps. Very good but short lived spell before Milne took over.

Roland Nillson, Gary McAllister?

Worst would be Slade, Thorn and Venus.

Strachan was far too stubborn.

Marty

I picked Eric Black, Andy Thorn and Russell Slade.

Terry Gibson's perm

What a great question to get for one of us, well apart from my lad who only knew Robins.

On Strachan I felt his biggest error was not sacking king of the cones Pendry and bringing in a real coach to help him.

skybluereeve

Heck of a player manager for us and put much younger players on the same pitch to shame.
Think he bought into Bryan Richardson's vision and somehow lost his way as a result and should have resigned when we were relegated in May 2001.
I enjoyed some good days under Strachan.
Remember watching him when he came on as sub couldn’t believe the level he was at compared to the rest.

ajsccfc

I was watching, as well as Strachan they guessed Steve Bruce which conjured up images of a nightmarish alternate reality. The third guess was Rihanna which was probably for the music question but who knows for sure

thekidfromstrettoncamp

More like Richardson was too loyal when he should have sacked him halfway through our relegation season.
I rememeber that season standing in the West End in January we lost 3 -1 to Everton I think.When the 3rd goal went in after about 30 minutes but like the Norwich game. I was standing next too a guy who I didn't know we both said at the same time "We are going down" .Never said that before or since even when we needed to win our last 3 games to stay up.

clint van damme

I rememeber that season standing in the West End in January we lost 3 -1 to Everton I think.When the 3rd goal went in after about 30 minutes but like the Norwich game. I was standing next too a guy who I didn't know we both said at the same time "We are going down" .Never said that before or since even when we needed to win our last 3 games to stay up.

That was when I knew we were doomed. I was in the Brew and Baker by the time the players came out for the 2nd half

Brighton Sky Blue

That was when I knew we were doomed. I was in the Brew and Baker by the time the players came out for the 2nd half
My dad took us to that one-think he knew we were going down and wanted us to see a bit of top flight football because it might not have returned for a while. He was right

CCFC54321

Used to talk down the supporters and what they knew about football. Remember the post match interview when hedman couldn’t hardly stand and he continued with him in goal v Middlesbrough.

Spoke to him about the signing of a player once and where he played and then had to repeat the question again as he pretended he couldn’t understand me and he responded with a “midfield” as he wheeled away disgusted a member of the public asked him a football question.

Brighton Sky Blue

Used to talk down the supporters and what they knew about football. Remember the post match interview when hedman couldn’t hardly stand and he continued with him in goal v Middlesbrough.

Spoke to him about the signing of a player once and where he played and then had to repeat the question again as he pretended he couldn’t understand me and he responded with a “midfield” as he wheeled away disgusted a member of the public asked him a football question.
No different to how Haaland handles interviews with journalists compared to how he speaks with fellow professionals.

Users who are viewing this thread