Was Strachen a Pointless Manager? (2 Viewers)

Sky Blue Harry H

I chose Phil Neal. Billy Frith and Noe Cantwell (was going to do Don MacKay instead of Phil Neal. but forgot his name :rolleyes: !!), so only 2 out of 3 for me.

joemercersaces

Used to talk down the supporters and what they knew about football. Remember the post match interview when hedman couldn’t hardly stand and he continued with him in goal v Middlesbrough.

Spoke to him about the signing of a player once and where he played and then had to repeat the question again as he pretended he couldn’t understand me and he responded with a “midfield” as he wheeled away disgusted a member of the public asked him a football question.
You had to be at that Middlesbrough game to believe it. The most arrogant refusal to do the bleeding obvious I think I will ever see!

SkyBlueScottie

Strachan scored 4 points, every manager pointless, bar this list Strachan, Robins, Hill, Gould, Neal, MacAllister, Atkinson.

LastGarrison

People get shouty about Robins use of substitutes but Strachan was a different level.

There was one point I was genuinely questioning whether he knew you could use them.

Great player but an appalling manager for us.

Bertola

Have to agree with that, strange thing is the sub goalie Kirkland went on to be one of our best ever keepers.

Wasn't there a rumour going round at the time that Kirkland bottled it and basically refused to go on, leaving Strachan stuck?

WGS gets a lot of stick for the way it ended here, but he built two brilliant teams, only to have them sold from underneath him... He was only an uncharacteristic error from Roland away from getting us to Wembley too

NorthernWisdom

Wasn't there a rumour going round at the time that Kirkland bottled it and basically refused to go on, leaving Strachan stuck?

WGS gets a lot of stick for the way it ended here, but he built two brilliant teams, only to have them sold from underneath him... He was only an uncharacteristic error from Roland away from getting us to Wembley too
Not like he wasn't backed for replacements though. The money we spent under him should have been plenty to survive and thrive in the top flight.

Bertola

Not like he wasn't backed for replacements though. The money we spent under him should have been plenty to survive and thrive in the top flight.
It was only really Bellamy that didnt work out... If we'd have got Hartson in at the first opportunity, we may even have gotten away with that

slowpoke

The problem with Bellamy was he was signed just recovering from injury, ACL I think so spent his year here getting fit and up to speed, once he left no matter where he went he was very good.

joemercersaces

We had some bad luck to be fair. First Inter came in for Robbie Keane. Then Bellamy should have been prolific but wasn’t. Then his replacement Lee Hughes should have been prolific but wasn’t (as well as being a scumbag). Then Celtic came for Hartson. Then the ITV deal went sour.

CCFC54321

We had some bad luck to be fair. First Inter came in for Robbie Keane. Then Bellamy should have been prolific but wasn’t. Then his replacement Lee Hughes should have been prolific but wasn’t (as well as being a scumbag). Then Celtic came for Hartson. Then the ITV deal went sour.
Robbie Keane was purchased in a three way split between Richardson, mcginnity and Robinson and the intention was to buy with a view to increasing there investment. Keane was never going to see a second season with city unfortunately.

Legia Sky Blue

Robbie Keane was purchased in a three way split between Richardson, mcginnity and Robinson and the intention was to buy with a view to increasing there investment. Keane was never going to see a second season with city unfortunately.

Not sure that is quite the case, albeit I agree with your view on the motives of the investors. If he hadn't hit the ground running like he did he wouldn't have been sold at that point. Even when he was, it was deep into the Summer before he was sold. I remember him playing a pre season friendly at Wolves where he scored the winner.

Was gutted when he was sold as he was the sort of player we get to see once in a lifetime, so to have him for only one season felt like being short changed. For those same reasons I'm delighted we have kept Gyokeres rather than cashing in early.

CCFC54321

Not sure that is quite the case, albeit I agree with your view on the motives of the investors. If he hadn't hit the ground running like he did he wouldn't have been sold at that point. Even when he was, it was deep into the Summer before he was sold. I remember him playing a pre season friendly at Wolves where he scored the winner.

Was gutted when he was sold as he was the sort of player we get to see once in a lifetime, so to have him for only one season felt like being short changed. For those same reasons I'm delighted we have kept Gyokeres rather than cashing in early.
I can assure you that was always the plan.

slowpoke

When Robbie Keane was signed from Wolves it created quite a story throughout football but I remember that cynical arsehole Rodney Marsh saying on radio Keane will be sold on in a year to Leeds, his co-pundit Frank McLintock told him he was talking crap, as we know Robbie went to Inter Milan within a year and then Leeds.

CCFC54321

Noel Whelen was also purchased in the same was as Keane but the time at city was screwed by the window incident and injuries etc with him leaving on a free to m’boro.

As keane hit the ground running with the two goals v derby on his debut the £ value was going up on their ‘asset’ by the month hence he was definitely not staying another season if a club came in… of which inter did late July.

Sick Boy

I remember being beyond gutted when we sold Keane, probably more so than Dion (who is probably my favourite player of all time). It finally felt like we were moving forward and then it quickly reverted to shite.

Last edited:

TomRad85

I remembered being beyond gutted when we sold Keane, probably more so than Dion (who is probably my favourite player of all time). It finally felt like we were moving forward and then it quickly reverted to shite.
Same man, I thought we could build on that team and really become something. I guess we did become something but shite wasn't what I had in mind.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

slowpoke

The trouble with Strachan was he did build two good teams player wise but each one he managed to bugger up, he seemed to have this destruct button and how he saw Richard Shaw and Paul Williams were premier quality is beyond me, Shaw was here for ten years ffs! and Williams his partner for six of them.

CCFC54321

Thanks. I’d never confirm who told me that this was plan but let’s just say it was from a CCFC employee. I wouldn’t lie about that and why would I? Robbie Keane was never going to stay beyond one season at CCFC (bids obviously had to come in of course) but if a club had bid £10m he would have been sold.

I don’t have a problem with that in principle as long as some of the money is constantly reinvested. Smart thing for money people to do!

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Thanks. I’d never confirm who told me that this was plan but let’s just say it was from a CCFC employee. I wouldn’t lie about that and why would I? Robbie Keane was never going to stay beyond one season at CCFC (bids obviously had to come in of course) but if a club had bid £10m he would have been sold.

I don’t have a problem with that in principle as long as some of the money is constantly reinvested. Smart thing for money people to do!
But not a smart thing for a football club trying to progress to do.

oscillatewildly

I was told (quite a few years ago) Some business contacts of Robinson's in Italy brokered the deal with Inter.
Apparently they (Inter) put up half of the transfer fee we paid and if they didn't like the look of him performing at the top level then we got to keep him having paid just 3 million. However, if they were impressed with him then the deal was that we would have to sell.

CCFC54321

But not a smart thing for a football club trying to progress to
I was told (quite a few years ago) Some business contacts of Robinson's in Italy brokered the deal with Inter.
Apparently they (Inter) put up half of the transfer fee we paid and if they didn't like the look of him performing at the top level then we got to keep him having paid just 3 million. However, if they were impressed with him then the deal was that we would have to sell.
Would not surprise me at all!

Users who are viewing this thread