Watford friendly (2 Viewers)

shmmeee

My first pre season game this year.

Reda Johnson was excellent, looks like a great signing.
Danny Pugh was also good and looks a big upgrade on Adams
Tudgay looked unfit but did well and took his goal well
Miller showed some good movement but lost possession too often
Allsopp looked solid enough
O'Brien looks like a useful addition, good energy and a decent passer

The highlight for me though was James Maddison, showed some great touches and looks a real talent!

Sounds positive. Maddison making some good impressions this pre-season, fair play to him.

Tudgay is coming back from injury isn't he? Didn't he say something about not being fit in the CET when he signed?

Did Swanson play?

Also: where the hell is Coulibaly?

SlowerThanPlatt

"That's more like it." said an understandably delighted Steven Pressley. "It was huge improvement on last night's game which had it to be.
"I've made it quite clear what I expect and tonight I got it. We had intensity, we were pushing the lines exactly the way I wanted and the really pleasing things is that we maintained that even when we completely changed the side in the second half.

"We had three 17-year-olds and two 19-years-olds out there for the final 20 minutes and they all did their jobs perfectly

"The thing is now we have got to maintain that for our next two friendly games so we can go into the season confident in our style and our individual performances.

"I'm still not 100 per cent certain on what my side will be for the first game but we proved tonight that there are plenty of people who can make the system work.

"I think we have got a real striker on our hands in Marcus Tudgay."

http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sport/football/match-reports/match-reaction---watford-0-7537767

PVA

Swanson came on for around half an hour. Caused one or two problems but on a couple of occasions had the chance to shoot or play a pass and ended up hesitating and losing the ball.

Coulibaly is injured I believe. Could be an interesting one, looking forward to seeing him.

junglej13

I've been pestering Kieran Crowley about Coulibaly and he seemed to think he may feature Friday and Sat so can't be too far away from fitness.

Madison sounds like he has impressed everyone and could be the surprise package of the season for us.

SkyBlue_Bear83

Sounds positive. Maddison making some good impressions this pre-season, fair play to him.

Tudgay is coming back from injury isn't he? Didn't he say something about not being fit in the CET when he signed?

Did Swanson play?

Also: where the hell is Coulibaly?
I don't think Tudgay was injured, I think it was just lack of game time at his previous club over the last season.

Coulibaly is going to be a player that is constantly injured I fear, he barely featured for Bournemouth last year because of injury.

shmmeee

I don't think Tudgay was injured, I think it was just lack of game time at his previous club over the last season.

Coulibaly is going to be a player that is constantly injured I fear, he barely featured for Bournemouth last year because of injury.

Ah, got ya, just lacking match fitness.

shmmeee

Swanson came on for around half an hour. Caused one or two problems but on a couple of occasions had the chance to shoot or play a pass and ended up hesitating and losing the ball.

Coulibaly is injured I believe. Could be an interesting one, looking forward to seeing him.

Good to see we've replaced Baker already ;)

shmmeee

Marshall was the same ,where did he go again? But they get us off our seats ....................................................When It comes off.

You gotta have one haven't you?

My favourite players growing up were always the skillful ones regardless of impact. I even liked Leigh Jenkinson for his stepover!

LJC_CCFC

My first pre season game this year.

Reda Johnson was excellent, looks like a great signing.
Danny Pugh was also good and looks a big upgrade on Adams
Tudgay looked unfit but did well and took his goal well
Miller showed some good movement but lost possession too often
Allsopp looked solid enough
O'Brien looks like a useful addition, good energy and a decent passer

The highlight for me though was James Maddison, showed some great touches and looks a real talent!

Shocker: Good signings play well, relegation fodder we ain't

SlowerThanPlatt

Marcus Tudgay's first goal for the club after eight minutes was enough to separate the two sides and Pressley said it was his side's attention to detail which pleased him the most.

"The most important thing for me tonight was about making sure we worked to the detail of the principles and philosophy that we base ourselves around. The detail does not change whether you play a 4-4-2 or 5-3-2 and we applied that detail tonight," he said.

"I spoke to the players about pushing lines because we were lazy in the way we did that against Newport and the change from the players was significant. We were much more aggressive and it allowed us to get a quicker and higher press of the game.

"I thought we were excellent. We got our balance and positioning right and there was some great performances across the park."

Pressley added that he was also delighted by the way the younger members of the squad came on to the pitch as part of wholesale changes in the second half and saw the game out.

"We changed the entire team pretty much with 25 minutes to go and we had 17, 18 and 19-year-olds up against a highly talented Watford side and they played to the detail and the organisation we required of them and I tell you I get genuinely excited when I see things like that.

"You can see the type of quality boys like James Maddison, George Thomas and Jack Finch have and there is a lot of encouraging signs but this is now the absolute minimum I expect of all of the players.

"No more letheragy, this is what I expect and no less because the players have played to levels asked of them and they can feel good about themselves tonight."

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
This the Watford FC official report on the friendly. Which ever way you look at it a decent performance from the Sky Blues. Good to see something positive for CCFC - and most importantly positive on the pitch

WATFORD’S impressive pre-season results came to end as Coventry City inflicted a defeat upon the Hornets at Boreham Wood’s Meadow Park this evening (Wednesday).

It was a tough work-out for the ‘Orns though and one which will hopefully ultimately benefit them once the campaign is underway.

The experienced Marcus Tudgay scored before the break and his fine strike proved to be the difference between the teams.

Watford only showed glimpses of what they are capable of, although they did look more likely to find the net after the interval, following a host of changes at the break. It was another strong line-up selected by Sannino as the Hornets stepped up their preparations ahead of the Championship opener against Bolton Wanderers a week on Saturday.

Watford once more setup in a 4-3-3 formation with Lloyd Dyer, Matej Vydra and Ikechi Anya the three pacy frontrunners.

They were largely frustrated though during the opening half as the Sky Blues stifled the Hornets.

Heurelho Gomes got his hands on a cross in from the right after five minutes as the Midlands side attacked with intent.

The experienced Tudgay opened the scoring after eight minutes following a sublime ball through by John Fleck. He drilled the ball past Gomes from inside the penalty area.

Daniel Tozser blasted well over on 12 minutes after the ball fell to him from a corner kick before Danny Pugh did the same at the other end from a great position.

Tozser was forced from the field after 22 minutes as Keith Andrews came on to replace him in the heart of midfield.

Gomes got his gloves to a fine strike from Tudgay just before the half-hour mark as the League One side continued to push forward when they could. The Hornets were largely frustrated and they weren’t able to utilize the pace of the front three.

Watford made seven changes at the break (see below for full info) and they had the first chance of the second half as Mathias Ranegie’s low shot narrowly avoided the post after Andrews’ ball into Troy Deeney eventually found its way to the Swede.

The Hornets continued to try and chip away at the City goal but they were faced with a resilient and hard-working Sky Blues side put together by Steven Pressley.

Sub Lewis McGugan had a couple of efforts at goal after the break but he was denied by Allsopp. The best of which occurred with six minutes remaining after Deeney’s excellent ball into the midfielder. McGugan turned with style within the area to take him away from the defenders, but the City keeper was equal to his effort.

Deeney, Ranegie and fellow striker Diego Fabbrini linked-up well during the second half but they were unable to find a way back into the game for the ‘Orns.

duffer

Shocker: Good signings play well, relegation fodder we ain't

Ah, so when you said pre-season games meant nothing, what you meant was pre-season defeats meant nothing, but pre-season victories were a good indicator of progress, right? ;)

Fwiw, and joking aside, I suspect we'll have a season like the last one. When everyone's fit and available at the start of the season we'll do well, but as injuries and suspensions start to bite we'll find it harder. If I was a betting man I'd guess that we'll flirt with the play-offs until Christmas, and flirt with relegation come April.

I don't think we'll go down, but I can't see us going up either...

LJC_CCFC

Ah, so when you said pre-season games meant nothing, what you meant was pre-season defeats meant nothing, but pre-season victories were a good indicator of progress, right? ;)

Fwiw, and joking aside, I suspect we'll have a season like the last one. When everyone's fit and available at the start of the season we'll do well, but as injuries and suspensions start to bite we'll find it harder. If I was a betting man I'd guess that we'll flirt with the play-offs until Christmas, and flirt with relegation come April.

I don't think we'll go down, but I can't see us going up either...

They don't mean anything in all honesty, just everyone was kicking up a fuss last night when we lost and now that we win people strangely have nothing to say...

We're going to bring in more players and strengthen the squad. Also go to wiki and have a look at how the other sides are shaping up, I think you'll be more optimistic about our chances of making the play offs

letsallsingtogether

I am optimistic every season where the fuck has it got me?
I have never been right:mad: so I will say Relegation, No play off's and No automatic promotion:) There that should do it.

They don't mean anything in all honesty, just everyone was kicking up a fuss last night when we lost and now that we win people strangely have nothing to say...

We're going to bring in more players and strengthen the squad. Also go to wiki and have a look at how the other sides are shaping up, I think you'll be more optimistic about our chances of making the play offs

duffer

Don't get me wrong mate - I hope you're right. And I'd agree entirely that pre-season results don't really mean too much one way or the other.

But I do honestly foresee another season like the last one, because of how thin the squad is more than anything else. Let's see if we get a few more in, I guess.

Fwiw, I'd love to see us both back at the Ricoh, and somewhere close to the play-offs at the end of the season - I think the place would be rocking if that could happen!

Gint11

In the same way I don't panic when we lose to a team lower than us in a Friendly, I don't get excited by winning friendlies either. The results really do not matter. Sounds like a great workout and the team/formation worked better. If you create a Philosophy and find players that fit it, we are halfway there to promotion.

stupot07

In the same way I don't panic when we lose to a team lower than us in a Friendly, I don't get excited by winning friendlies either. The results really do not matter. Sounds like a great workout and the team/formation worked better. If you create a Philosophy and find players that fit it, we are halfway there to promotion.

After losing against us, I'd be putting money on Watford getting relegated.... ;)

covcity4life

Don't get me wrong mate - I hope you're right. And I'd agree entirely that pre-season results don't really mean too much one way or the other.

But I do honestly foresee another season like the last one, because of how thin the squad is more than anything else. Let's see if we get a few more in, I guess.

Fwiw, I'd love to see us both back at the Ricoh, and somewhere close to the play-offs at the end of the season - I think the place would be rocking if that could happen!

we had a good season last year considering the councils pts deduction

dropped off at end cos nothing to play for really

we will be there or thereabouts imo this year(playoffs)

Noggin

we had a good season last year considering the councils pts deduction

dropped off at end cos nothing to play for really

we will be there or thereabouts imo this year(playoffs)

We "dropped off" half way through when there absolutely was something to play for, before selling clarke there was belief amongst alot of people that we would make the play offs.

covcity4life

We "dropped off" half way through when there absolutely was something to play for, before selling clarke there was belief amongst alot of people that we would make the play offs.

dropped off from title winning form you mean

any normal season and it would have been a drop from top 3 to maybe top 10, we still would have been in playoff hunt

but with 10 pt deduction it led to us dropping from promotion hopes all together and the motivation went.

torchomatic

It's always been the same though, to be fair. Even if you look back at match threads on here you can see that the longest threads are the ones when we lose. Threads on selling a player will be longer than the ones when we sign a player. Way of the Sky Blue world, I think.

wingy

It's always been the same though, to be fair. Even if you look back at match threads on here you can see that the longest threads are the ones when we lose. Threads on selling a player will be longer than the ones when we sign a player. Way of the Sky Blue world, I think.

Unfortunately we only have the recent history to marry against the advent of social media ,may have been different In the nineties ,but maybe not .:(;)

Last edited:

duffer

Probably the way of all fans in fairness Torchy - but we've probably had less to enjoy than most over the last few years, might as well rejoice in the horror. ;)

Covstu

Same story not just with city, people like to have a good moan but struggle to come up with anything constructive or positive when asked. Good resutl last night but feet are well on the ground, i think we will be mid table nothing more.

SlowerThanPlatt

Post on a Watford forum:

Coventry looked decent, well drilled and skillful too. However most of the game was played in their half. They did of course score from poor central defending by us (not sure who to blame as it was up other end of pitch), they missed another golden opportunity and also forced a fine save from Gomes.

LJC_CCFC

Rest of the world mentality: Praise team when they perform well/Slate team when they don't

Cov fans mentality: Be negative about everything. When something positive occurs, bring SISU, Sixfields and the fact that 'These players aren't as good as Tommy Hutchison and the lads from my day' into it.

shmmeee

Rest of the world mentality: Praise team when they perform well/Slate team when they don't

Cov fans mentality: Be negative about everything. When something positive occurs, bring SISU, Sixfields and the fact that 'These players aren't as good as Tommy Hutchison and the lads from my day' into it.

What a load of utter tripe.

I bet you were one of the ones calling everyone deluded when we were getting excited for the playoffs last season and the season before.

LJC_CCFC

I bet you were one of the ones calling everyone deluded when we were getting excited for the playoffs last season and the season before.

Nope, actually backed us for the play-offs under Robins (thought it was the best style of football I'd personally seen City play). Also backed us for the play-offs pre Clarke going, still think we could of made it but Elvis changed a winning system/tactics for some reason and then gave up on getting into the play-offs.

AndreasB

Nope, actually backed us for the play-offs under Robins (thought it was the best style of football I'd personally seen City play). Also backed us for the play-offs pre Clarke going, still think we could of made it but Elvis changed a winning system/tactics for some reason and then gave up on getting into the play-offs.

He changed a winning system when we started losing.

paulw

Best thing about SP is he is always willing to learn. Worst thing about SP is even when he finds the perfect system he still tries to learn.

hill83

It's just the way of the world. Moaning is much more common and easier.
When something goes well, happy days, onto the next thing.
When something goes wrong, analyse the shit out of it, moan and talk about what went wrong.

LJC_CCFC

He changed a winning system when we started losing.

When Clarke left, we stopped playing the pressing/passing football that had been successful up to the Barnsley FA Cup game (Clarke left after that). He started playing players out of position, tried 5 at the back and we just started hoofing the ball. For me he was far too negative following Clarke's departure, seemingly because he thought we couldn't replace him or that Delph or Eccleston couldn't do Clarke's job.

covcity4life

you were not getting excited, you were shitting yourself we might get promoted despite the points deductions.

Users who are viewing this thread