'We felt it was difficult to conclude on a long-term arrangement' - Wasps pull out of Ricoh Arena ta (3 Viewers)

theferret

Just spotted this beneath the article on the CT:

Dont you just love it when a rugby club put one over on a second rate football club, sorry SISU you'll have to move out bet sixfields don't want you aswell, better get that new ground built or go out of business, no mmoney left soon from the club !!!! ha ha

.....it's enough to make you want to throw in the towel.

Irish Sky Blue

At the Trust forum Anderson said that he really wanted the legal action out of the way as it was nothing but a distraction and was holding the club back. He also said that as long as he was at the club, CCFC would never be taken out of Coventry again. Although temporary stands could go up on the three vacant sides of the BPA would CCC give planning permission for such an increase in capacity should we be forced to move there? I can understand the council not wanting to deal with Sisu and indeed wanting them out. However the cost of that does seem to be the future of our club, a price I would have thought, would be too high for them to accept. When you look at the email and the Higgs shenanigans, it does seem like CCFC can die if it means Sisu are gone.

Rodders1

I kind of switch off when it's about other teams (ignorant I know!) but have teams recently (last 5-10 years) being saved by fan led consortiums? (I presume Pompey must have been at some point!)

Would this be an option?

Would Wasps curry favor and offer a fan led consortium a lower rental deal? Just an idea!
That would be great. 51% fan ownership and this never happens again.

Nick

Administrator

Dont you just love it when a rugby club put one over on a second rate football club, sorry SISU you'll have to move out bet sixfields don't want you aswell, better get that new ground built or go out of business, no mmoney left soon from the club !!!! ha ha

Pr people can post there...

The Reverend Skyblue

I bet he's about six years old with that sort of grammar. But you are right some of the comments from "lifelong" supposed Cov fans are an utter disgrace.
You watch even a JPT semi final against Grimsby all those haters will be first in the queue to watch the club they have always loved. Makes me sick to the stomach

Irish Sky Blue

When BPA first opened didn't it have a temporary stand as well as the main stand? Seem to think it did. The National Hockey Stadium in MK had three temporary stands in place which allowed Wimbledon to play there including us on a day that I was the coldest I have ever been at a game. BPA with open stands won't be for the faint hearted on a day when it is throwing it down.

Nick

Administrator
I bet he's about six years old with that sort of grammar. But you are right some of the comments from "lifelong" supposed Cov fans are an utter disgrace.
You watch even a JPT semi final against Grimsby all those haters will be first in the queue to watch the club they have always loved. Makes me sick to the stomach
They aren't, most of them will be just for pr and crap. Think of how powerful it is on there

martcov

Ideal distressed purchase for a hedge fund with a track record of moving clubs...

Seems like CCFC is being driven into a corner.... A bit like when SISU tried to distress ACL.... You may well be right, but there is a lot of torture to endure before that happens... I am really surprised ( probably shouldn't be ) that SISU don't seem to have an answer to this. This situation- Wasps spreading their wings in Cov - was foreseen by fans on here. How could professional hedge fund company employees not see things that amateur observers could?

NorthernWisdom

This situation- Wasps spreading their wings in Cov - was foreseen by fans on here. How could professional hedge fund company employees not see things that amateur observers could?

Perhaps they have?

You could suggest they're confident in their court cases... even those that have gone before.

Perhaps they didn't expect Wasps to pick up any support whatsoever? I don't say that in the passive-aggressive way many do, but would it have been entirely unexpected to expect a ripple against Wasps?

So maybe it needs all this kind of stuff to come out to get that. Maybe, with conspiracy hat on, SISU need this all to happen to try and whip some popular support against Wasps/CCC/whoever.

The danger in all this is that somehow we end up backing SISU into something dangerous and disruptive. That's always been the danger. The problem is however, that the alternative choices offer oblivion by proxy too.

martcov

Perhaps they have?

You could suggest they're confident in their court cases... even those that have gone before.

Perhaps they didn't expect Wasps to pick up any support whatsoever? I don't say that in the passive-aggressive way many do, but would it have been entirely unexpected to expect a ripple against Wasps?

So maybe it needs all this kind of stuff to come out to get that. Maybe, with conspiracy hat on, SISU need this all to happen to try and whip some popular support against Wasps/CCC/whoever.

The danger in all this is that somehow we end up backing SISU into something dangerous and disruptive. That's always been the danger. The problem is however, that the alternative choices offer oblivion by proxy too.

That would be a dangerous game... Having at last got popular support, but having no academy and no stadium - or only a half share in a smaller stadium - would hardly be counted as progress. It may make them feel better though. They don't seem to have any any alternative to offer which public support could influence. It seems to be make it up as you go along - no game plan and no commitment.

SkyblueBazza

It's basically telling CCFC. You have to do what we say. You have no cards as they've deliberately been dealt against you.
Yes...but is the message that if you aren't knowingly good at playing poker - don't put your house in the pot?

Mind you SISU took a turn trying to be the dealer in this game & even gave themselves a poor hand!

...onwards & upwards PUSB

martcov

When BPA first opened didn't it have a temporary stand as well as the main stand? Seem to think it did. The National Hockey Stadium in MK had three temporary stands in place which allowed Wimbledon to play there including us on a day that I was the coldest I have ever been at a game. BPA with open stands won't be for the faint hearted on a day when it is throwing it down.

Side note. The pin in your avatar.. Ireland in a sky blue sea.... I had that ( one of them ) - I wore it at a press evening I was at ( to do with Ireland). A journalist wanted to buy it, but I refused to sell it... And when I got up and left my jacket, he took the opportunity to steal it. I never saw him or my badge again. Small incident, but it pissed me off.

SkyBlue_Bear83

gotta admit since Anderson came on the scene its all gone tits up Warwick Hunt
Don't think its his fault, he has no control over the legal action. Think he's just walked into an absolute cluster fuck.

Its only went tits up as he has tried to get things done and found obstacles around every corner for reasons that are not his fault. I imagine if he wasn't here then the club would be doing nothing at all and this would have all gone on in the background and we wouldn't be any the wiser, whereas now it seems to be coming to a head.

chiefdave

Its only went tits up because he has tried to get things done
Seems that way. Before nobody has really pushed to sort things. Anderson appears to have come in decided what needs to be done and tried to get on with it. The problems have occurred because when push came to shove nobody would commit to anything that would benefit the club.

armybike

Seems that way. Before nobody has really pushed to sort things. Anderson appears to have come in decided what needs to be done and tried to get on with it. The problems have occurred because when push came to shove nobody would commit to anything that would benefit the club.

The problem has occurred because it's not be pushed forward before now and other parties have moved on.

chiefdave

The problem has occurred because it's not be pushed forward before now and other parties have moved on.
Wouldn't agree with that. Wasps themselves say talks about a long term deal at the Ricoh were progressing until they called a halt to them.
And Higgs laid a new pitch and discussions were taking place for the club to assist with the the increased delivery of community programs and a long term lease until CSF called a halt to them.

armybike

Wouldn't agree with that. Wasps themselves say talks about a long term deal at the Ricoh were progressing until they called a halt to them.
And Higgs laid a new pitch and discussions were taking place for the club to assist with the the increased delivery of community programs and a long term lease until CSF called a halt to them.

You said - "Seems that way. Before nobody has really pushed to sort things. Anderson appears to have come in decided what needs to be done and tried to get on with it. The problems have occurred because when push came to shove nobody would commit to anything that would benefit the club."

You're now saying everything was moving forward nicely?

Not sure how you can have both positions.

Nick

Administrator
has it? How do you now things would have been fine if tried before and they wouldn't have been done over then?

Let's face it, the council weren't keen on the stadium and the club long before we had heard of tim Fisher

armybike

has it? How do you now things would have been fine if tried before and they wouldn't have been done over then?

Let's face it, the council weren't keen on the stadium and the club long before we had heard of tim Fisher

Right, you're going to have to point out where I've said 'things would have been fine'.

armybike

Well if the problem only occurred because of something, there wouldn't have been the problem. Ie if they had tried sooner

No, that's really not how it works.

You can try and twist what I've said all you like, but such a ridiculous interpretation is nothing more than laughable.

3/10 must try harder.

chiefdave

Not sure how you can have both positions.
Pretty easy really as they are both the same position. The first post you quote was me agreeing that things deteriorated when Anderson came in and tried to get deals done.

The second post says the same. He tried to do a deal to stay at the Ricoh long term and got blocked by Wasps. He tried to do a deal to stay at Higgs long term and got blocked by CSF. Had he not made the effort to actually sort things out we wouldn't be having these discussions now.

Nick

Administrator
No, that's really not how it works.

You can try and twist what I've said all you like, but such a ridiculous interpretation is nothing more than laughable.

3/10 must try harder.
You said it had only occurred because they didn't try sooner, how do you know it wouldn't have happened sooner? People had issues with the stadium before sisu were even here

armybike

You said it had only occurred because they didn't try sooner, how do you know it wouldn't have happened sooner? People had issues with the stadium before sisu were even here

Again you're going to have to point out where I said it "only occurred because".

Also whilst you're at it where have I said it all would have gone swimmingly if things had been progressed before this point.

However, back to the point I was actually making, have the other parties moved on?

Would we have been in a better position if we'd been having these discussions twelve/eighteen months ago?

The problem is twelve months ago all the information being offered out by SISU was that we'd be building a combined stadium/training facility and Academy.

It seems some people are now trying to imply this was just them mooting a wish list of ideas and apparently Higgs/Wasps etc shouldn't have took it as any more than this and simply twiddled their fingers until it was time try try and get an extension on both use of the Higgs and Ricoh.

CCFC_Charlie

Imagine being one of those pricks who kicked off when we moved to Northampton but painted themselves black and yellow and pissed their pants as soon as these bastards moved into town. It's disgusting what Coventry City Council and Wasps are trying to do to this football club due to personal grudges against SISU. We all know SISU are knobs but the football club and SISU aren't one and the same and it's the people of Coventry who are being let down here. Worst part of it all is Wasps trying to act the hero with all this "We don't want the club to leave" and "We don't want to force the club out of their academy" bullshit. And some people are falling for it as well.

Chipfat

Since the last court appeal was rejected all the parties involved have gone after Sisu very aggressively pushing them into a corner that leaves them with very few options remaining. They can either carry on court cases and hope offer of talks come back, drop the cases and start talks to resolve the future, build/expand bpa or lastly walk away.

This more than any other time is feeling like an end game and we know who is holding the strongest hand.

Shakeitup

Yes...but is the message that if you aren't knowingly good at playing poker - don't put your house in the pot?

Mind you SISU took a turn trying to be the dealer in this game & even gave themselves a poor hand!

...onwards & upwards PUSB

Great analogy!

Users who are viewing this thread