What’s the weirdest food you’ve ever eaten? (1 Viewer)

Brighton Sky Blue

Gordon Ramsay’s entry: deep fried tarantula

skybluetony176

I had peaches and chips once.
I had mayonnaise with chips on once in Belgium. Vincent Vega was right, they smother them in that shit (Although he was talking about france). Couldn’t eat them all in the end because the mayonnaise was making me feel ill.

ovduk78

I was in Bradford & had sausage, egg & chips in a cafe. It came with peas ffs. Oh and gravy!! And some of you are complaining about chips with mayonnaise which is clearly close to perfection?!

Ring Of Steel

Undoubtedly one of the things that I got fed while on trips to China, where it would not have been the 'done thing' to reject the offering- had Shark Lung soup once before even realising it was some kind of meat, I know that much. Very soon after that I stopped asking what it was as I knew I'd feel sick.

Sbarcher

Not very proud about it but ate a Minky whale steak in Iceland and a bear steak in Romania.
Many years ago I might add.

Brighton Sky Blue

Undoubtedly one of the things that I got fed while on trips to China, where it would not have been the 'done thing' to reject the offering- had Shark Lung soup once before even realising it was some kind of meat, I know that much. Very soon after that I stopped asking what it was as I knew I'd feel sick.

When I lived in Scotland the local Chinese did ostrich stir fry, basically like a lean beef. Quite nice actually

ajsccfc

Probably a bit too common to be weird, but I've always enjoyed snails. Had those BBQ crickets you bu like they're a bag of crisps, letdown. Tried ostrich and crocodile burgers, but I'm not convinced they weren't just liars renaming beef.

NorthernWisdom

'Drunken chicken' was pretty strange. Chilled chicken, drenched in rice wine.

Then there was an eel dish with a crispy skin, the eyes staring at you were really rather disconcerting,

Chicken feet just seem utterly pointless tbh.

Decided to decline the snake's blood vodka.

Tell you what, before all this blew up, I thought I'd try most things about once. Guess the good thing in it all is I am at least reflecting on what I'll eat a little more. Won't stop me eating a lot of things, but a bit of awareness so I make a more informed judgement is maybe not a bad thing.

Brighton Sky Blue

Stoke on Trent I had a mash potato pie, was nice.

Kangaroo burgers were nice too.

Scottish junk food was always nice at the grounds up there. Macaroni pie, Scotch pie with melted lard on top, nuclear strength Bovril. They know how to live up there

Brighton Sky Blue

Fort William Morrison's on my way up to Skye lived up to every stereotype. A grey, bleak building crammed with macaroni cheese pies, and barely a vegetable in sight!

Near the end of my time at uni the local bakers started installing vending machines all over the place. You could get microwaved macaroni pie with Irn Bru and a cream doughnut for £2!

OffenhamSkyBlue

Most unusual thing i had was ricefield rat in Vietnam, spatchcocked and barbecued. They advertise it as being a mouse, but it's actually a rat. And very tasty. Quite like rabbit, i guess. I'd have it again.
In the same restaurant we had a chicken stew - you take the lid off the pot and there were his head (complete with cock's comb) and his feet, sticking up out of the gravy.
Oh, and someone we were with on holiday out there another time had a "blood pudding". I'd draw the line there, i think!

skybluetony176

I was once made what is apparently a traditional New Years Eve dish in Italy. Basically they got a pigs leg, chucked everything bar the skin, stuff that full of green lentils to make essentially a giant sausage, then boil it. The skin was absolutely rank but the 3 Italians I was dining with were fighting over it. The lentils were nice though.

Users who are viewing this thread