What’s the weirdest food you’ve ever eaten? (1 Viewer)

Brighton Sky Blue

Most unusual thing i had was ricefield rat in Vietnam, spatchcocked and barbecued. They advertise it as being a mouse, but it's actually a rat. And very tasty. Quite like rabbit, i guess. I'd have it again.
In the same restaurant we had a chicken stew - you take the lid off the pot and there were his head (complete with cock's comb) and his feet, sticking up out of the gravy.
Oh, and someone we were with on holiday out there another time had a "blood pudding". I'd draw the line there, i think!

I think I'd be willing to try most stuff like that but insects/spiders probably not. There's a very nice Vietnamese restaurant on Spon St that opened last year I think, no field rat just yet though.

NorthernWisdom

I was once made what is apparently a traditional New Years Eve dish in Italy. Basically they got a pigs leg, chucked everything bar the skin, stuff that full of green lentils to make essentially a giant sausage, then boil it. The skin was absolutely rank but the 3 Italians I was dining with were fighting over it. The lentils were nice though.
Ever tried Casu marzu on your travels, or that too far south for you to come into contact with?

ovduk78

My dad was stationed in Egypt with the RAF in th 50's and some of them were invited to a wedding where they where given the delicacy of a sheep's eye. My dad said he just swallowed it, I wouldn't have got it near my mouth

Brighton Sky Blue

My dad was stationed in Egypt with the RAF in th 50's and some of them were invited to a wedding where they where given the delicacy of a sheep's eye. My dad said he just swallowed it, I wouldn't have got it near my mouth

That's probably the gnarliest thing mentioned so far

Sky_Blue_Daz

It’s not particularly weird but boiled spuds with raw eggs poured over the top with some black pepper then mashed up is bloody lovely

Sick Boy

Ever tried Casu marzu on your travels, or that too far south for you to come into contact with?
You can still get it quite easily in Sardinia if you’re determined enough, we were there last summer and got offered some on a beach.
I’d probably try it but would probably put it in a bag first haha

Marty

I've had Emu, Kangaroo, Crocodile, Horse. Love a bit of Swordfish. I'm sure there's plenty I've missed.

Grendel

Raw jellyfish

Grendel

Intentionally or a swimming incident?

It was in a glorious Japanese banquet. To be honest I couldn’t eat it. It was a 9 course experience that cost around £200 per head. One course looked like some kind of penis. I couldn’t even look at what it was. I’d have rather had a chip and curry sauce tray at the parsons nose

Sumo the Micky Quinn

I remember having worm omlete at a scout camp about 35 years ago. We had an ex-scout member, now training in the army, telling us about about survival foods and challenged us to find some worms and cook them, mixed into an omlete. They looked like dried up fried onions, and didn't really taste of anything.

Also had shark, crocodile, swordfish in America.

One of our local bars serves Ostrich, wild boar, kangaroo in a mixed grill (can depend what's available sometimes), also serves goat.

LastGarrison

Dog curry in Cambodia.

As someone else mentioned it was one of those scenarios where it would have been offensive to turn it down.

There was a group of 4 or 5 TukTuk drivers sat having a meal in the garden of our Guesthouse and I joined them for a beer. They literally offered me a bit of everything they were eating and drinking and these people were POOR. Didn’t feel right saying no in those circumstances.

Sick Boy

Eaten kangaroo, stingray, ostrich for the weirdest I reckon.
Surprised to see swordfish, eat it on a weekly basis

NorthernWisdom

You can still get it quite easily in Sardinia if you’re determined enough, we were there last summer and got offered some on a beach.
I’d probably try it but would probably put it in a bag first haha
Apparantly you should wear goggles in case the maggots jump out, and you should worry if they're not moving, as the cheese has become potent enough to kill them!

Sick Boy

Apparantly you should wear goggles in case the maggots jump out, and you should worry if they're not moving, as the cheese has become potent enough to kill them!
I actually have a friend who lived in Cagliari for a decade and he tried it several times. Apparently a lot of people put the cheese into a bag and seal it up, once the maggots have stopped popping you know they’re dead and they’ve jumped out of the cheese. I’d probably try it with the bag method to be fair hahaha

Marty

Eaten kangaroo, stingray, ostrich for the weirdest I reckon.
Surprised to see swordfish, eat it on a weekly basis

I was a bit hesitant to put it down as you can find it in near enough every restaurant on the med, but I've never saw it in the UK.

clint van damme

This was at a late night outdoor outdoor Indian food market in Singapore, it was very nice!!

why couldn't you just have a kebab like normal people?!

f4a7fd318e90b2fa650b91eb1ba32ab178664e3e

Brighton Sky Blue

I was a bit hesitant to put it down as you can find it in near enough every restaurant on the med, but I've never saw it in the UK.

To be honest I've never had the option for it in this country but would like to give it a go. Octopus is another one but I guess it's a lot like squid?

Marty

To be honest I've never had the option for it in this country but would like to give it a go. Octopus is another one but I guess it's a lot like squid?

I've never had octopus, but love a bit of calamari, I can imagine they're fairly similar though, possibly the octopus a bit more tender?

Sick Boy

I saw that in Japan it's eaten raw with soy sauce added to make the tentacles move. A bit funky for my taste so think I'll keep to the Mediterranean version!
Haha wow! Had it in a Japanese restaurant here earlier this year, luckily they stuck to the Italian style

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
My brother treated me out for a meal in a Thai restaurant Banbury for my 50th birthday (17 years ago!) I ate frogs legs just to try. They were bloody lovely! Also had fresh oysters in Spain. Straight from the shell, down the throat! Mmmm!
2007_03310050.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread