What are you currently listening to? (14 Viewers)

Covstu

Alternating between Planet Rock and Radio 2 as lots of Bowie music being played obviously. When I hear Jean Genie it takes me back to the Locarno when I pulled a cracker whilst dancing to it,if you could call it dancing. She ended up as my girlfriend for two years,so it was down to Bowie !
Was her name Jean?

wingy

Drive in Saturday
Just about my favourite Bowie track, the crescendo as it builds near the end bloody brilliant.

wingy

Mott the Hoople's All the Young Dudes is fantastic too.
Yes just watched one of his live versions of Drive in Saturday and he offered Mott the song as a follow up to Dudes, They declined so he used it and drunkenly shaved his eyebrows off in anger.

Otis

Yes just watched one of his live versions of Drive in Saturday and he offered Mott the song as a follow up to Dudes, They declined so he used it and drunkenly shaved his eyebrows off in anger.

Ha ha!

Love Bowie, but also loved Mott too, who went on to have a fab career themselves. They followed up All the Young Dudes with Honaloochie Boogie, which was a very good song too, but no Drive in Saturday!

J

Jack Griffin

Young Americans. I think I will be working my way through Bowies albums this week feeling a bit sad.

mechaishida

Considering I missed the Bowie phenomenon by a few years, I must say I've really taken to his music since yesterday - I've had most of his songs on YT playing, and I'm quickly becoming a fan, to be honest. Heroes and The Man Who Sold the World are my personal favourites though, from ages ago.

jimmyhillsfanclub

I've been listening to Iggy Pops "lust for life" album this morning.......more Bowie Genius right there....

torchomatic

Kraftwerk - Trans Europe Express

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

bringbackrattles

Just put Planet Rock on and one of my favourite ever records is playing : Itchycoo Park by Small Faces. Never get tired of hearing it and it is a classic.

torchomatic

A bit of Thomas Leer today.

mechaishida

A b-side I have somehow never heard, cheers!! If only he had kept the b sides for the albums, they might have lasted longer.

Step Out is brilliant, it's probably my favourite Oasis track, in truth. First heard it back in '97, on the now defunct cassette tape. I actually miss cassettes, on my own with that though, probably.

Brighton Sky Blue

Spent the evening listening to some great albums from the mid '90s, The Verve's Urban Hymns and Oasis' Morning Glory.

torchomatic

Love - Forever Changes

An album everyone should own.

wingy

M
Urban Hymns definitely deserves a revisit as you forget actually how good that album is!!!!
I've got just about everything they and Richard Ashcroft produced.
He's well overdue on delivering his next album, at least two years late.

Last edited:

lifeskyblue

Just put Planet Rock on and one of my favourite ever records is playing : Itchycoo Park by Small Faces. Never get tired of hearing it and it is a classic.

Used to love itchycoo park...the voice of the lead singer superb. Mind you as I have got older I have varied my music much more. Depending on mood I love some folk and modern American country and in the evening listen a lot to late medieval polyphony. When I was younger I would have died rather than admit that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bringbackrattles

Used to love itchycoo park...the voice of the lead singer superb. Mind you as I have got older I have varied my music much more. Depending on mood I love some folk and modern American country and in the evening listen a lot to late medieval polyphony. When I was younger I would have died rather than admit that.

Sorry for asking but what is medieval polyphony ?

lifeskyblue

Sorry for asking but what is medieval polyphony ?

Church music from 13th to 16th centuries. A development from plainchant and Gregorian chant that basically all monks sang the same voice (part). With polyphony their are various parts. If you get a chance listen to Spem in Alium by Thomas Tallis (on you tube) or stuff by Palestrina (some bits on YouTube). After the period but one of best pieces of polyphony ever (in my opinion) is allegri's Misere.
Polyphony was also increasingly used in the royal houses of Europe...so secular as well as religious examples.
I find it relaxing...and although I'm an atheist I do find this type of music spiritual and moving.

Users who are viewing this thread