What does this club mean to you? (3 Viewers)

Yank

I'm emotional today so forgive me beforehand haha but just wanted to start a thread about our beloved club and what it really means to us. Getting a big win in a rivalry game today only made it more so for me and how fantastic the home fans were(From the comforts of my living room anyway) lol.

As I put in one of my earlier posts on this forum, been a fan since 2006 and have been through the ringer in regards to the many ups and downs just like everyone else has been on here(The doldrums of the third division, the second division and getting beat up, the pitiful ownership from SISU, the greatness that is now DK, etc). I am as hardcore as one can be living so far away here in North Carolina from Coventry and having to watch the games via the Internet and not being there with my fellow fans. Enjoy being able to see the boys in person friends! I wish I could say the same.

A lot has happened to me in my personal life the past couple of years and asides from my family and friends, the only other thing that has really helped me deal with things is the Sky Blues, win or lose. I constantly talk about them to anyone who will listen and always will.

Do I get upset as much as I used too when we lose? No, but it does aggravate me for an extended period of time. Yes at the end of the day, its just a sport and more important things to worry about, but as long as the Sky Blues are around I know I will always have something special in my life.

What does CCFC mean to you?

PUSB.

rob9872

As dad doesn't drink it's the one thing we've always done together. In recent years he's not up to going to away games, but travelling all over the country with my wife and daughter is pretty much what I live for.

I work hard, I don't smoke or have extravagant wants or flash clothes or cars, we spend thousands every season for feelings like today. They don't always happen, but when they do, it makes it all worth it.

Unfortunately I've infected my daughter with the same emotional attachment and as much as I love it that we go together, losing never gets easier, thankfully I've learnt not to affect my week until the next one, hopefully in time she'll be the same.

Love the club, love everything about it.

JAM See

I am rather "tired and emotional" but I'll answer anyway.

In my twenties, the most important things in my life were music, birds, drugs, movies, politics, books, and of course, football.

Now in my fifties, I realise that I don't have strong opinions about music, birds, drugs, movies or books.

Politics and football however. Still as passionate, thirty years later.

PUSB.

Last edited:

slowpoke

The club is everything the ups the downs, suffering sisu, after years of crap, false dawns I can at last believe, health issues means I pick and choose and have knocked away games on the head for now. Still st holder but didn’t go today but thankfully Skye saved today for enjoying a day when we dominated a premier team toe to toe when eleven v eleven and second half dominated a premier defence.
I actually believe had we equalised earlier and we nearly did just after half-time we would have crushed them.

Jamesimus

It’s my identity.

I grew up in CV2, I haven’t lived in Coventry since my early 20’s, but it’s hardened me and made me the person I am. I’m able to tolerate a lot, understand and empathise with people from lots of different backgrounds and I only ever really feel at home when I’m in the city.

I don’t just love the club, I love our fans.

Covcraig@bury

I am rather "tired and emotional" but I'll answer anyway.

In my twenties, the most important things in my life were music, birds, drugs, movies, politics, books, and of course, football.

Now in my fifties, I realise that I don't have strong opinions about music, birds, drugs, movies or books.

Politics and football however. Still as passionate, thirty years later.

PUSB.
Totally with you 👍

Jamesimus

I think the most important thing to me is the diversity (not referencing the dance group of the same name 😂). Particularly now I’m in the north east.

I work on building sites and hear all manner of shite that from my younger days, I was blind to because I didn’t hear it. I have Nigerian and Jamaican people in my direct family, I’m from an Irish Catholic background, the best neighbours I’ve ever had were a Brit Muslim family. All of them Cov supporters. When I talk about this at work, people up here don’t get it - in the Midlands it’s commonplace. The club is a community for everyone that’s from the area or lives there and that’s really nice.

Sounds lame, don’t care!

lordy_87

I think the most important thing to me is the diversity (not referencing the dance group of the same name 😂). Particularly now I’m in the north east.

I work on building sites and hear all manner of shite that from my younger days, I was blind to because I didn’t hear it. I have Nigerian and Jamaican people in my direct family, I’m from an Irish Catholic background, the best neighbours I’ve ever had were a Brit Muslim family. All of them Cov supporters. When I talk about this at work, people up here don’t get it - in the Midlands it’s commonplace. The club is a community for everyone that’s from the area or lives there and that’s really nice.

Sounds lame, don’t care!
Fucking love that 🩵

Mucca Mad Boys

Only thing I cry about

Proper bloke

Only reason I didn’t cry at Wembley was because my dad and son were and I was offering out hugs.
Same here, my brother burst out crying but I’ve come close to welling up over Coventry and England in recent years.

Covcraig@bury

Sounds lame, don’t care!
That is fantastic and so true . Our city is so open and diverse in so many ways .
I try to tell people where I live how great Coventry is with its history and culture, the surrounding areas and countryside. I just can’t sell it to them . They just don’t understand

Jamesimus

That is fantastic and so true . Our city is so open and diverse in so many ways .
I try to tell people where I live how great Coventry is with its history and culture, the surrounding areas and countryside. I just can’t sell it to them . They just don’t understand
If you live in Bury Craig, surely Coventry isn’t a hard sell. All you have to do is explain that it’s 300,000 times better than Bury!

Martin180

Saw my first game in 1977 , I was 5 at the time and was awestruck . Went to more games with my dad and brother until my parents split up a couple of years later . My older brother became a father figure to me and took me home and away through the 80s and early 90s . After I became a father I stopped going as much but still attended as many home games as I could .
I've seen us play in front of under 10,000 fans in the early 80s , Ive been to many grounds which no longer exist ...Plough Lane , Baseball Ground , the Dell , Filbert Street and Roker Park among many others .
The last 15-20 years have been soul destroying until our Messiah returned and turned out fortunes around and now the good times have returned
I'm early fifties now and go as often as I can , nowhere near as much as I would like to but I'm still as passionate about my club and love the journey we are on

Manchester_sky_blue

My route to the club was somewhat different. My Dad only cares about sports that involve an engine so football just wasn't part of my childhood at all, added to which my parents moved out of Coventry to Worcestershire when I was 6 so I have only very scant memories of living in the city. Both sets of grandparents and my cousins still lived in Cov though so we went back frequently and I used to go the Speedway with my Dad a lot so I still thought of myself as being from Cov.

When I got to middle school age I quickly realised that everyone had a football team and not wanting to be the weird kid when others asked me who I supported I just said Cov as a default response. Our FA cup win was still relatively recent at this point so no one really questioned it and for a few years that's how it carried on. I started looking out for Cov results and learning players names and stuff so that I could join in with conversations and hopefully not make a tit of myself and eventually I thought maybe I should go and see a match and see what the fuss is. So about age 14 I persuaded my Dad and my uncle to take me, Leicester at home and we won 4-2 and oh my word it was the best day of my life. That was it, I was hooked. Kicked myself for not having been to games sooner and haven't looked back since.

Now my grandparents are all gone and family have moved and drifted apart and I've settled in the North and started my own family, but the team has only become more important to me as everything else has changed. Being a fan connects me to my roots, reminds me where I'm from and grounds me in a way that nothing else does.

slowpoke

My mate only goes to England games home or away even USA & Aus. never misses and hasn’t done for years.

Otis

Now live in Folkestone and absolutely love it here. It's all I ever wanted, but the one thing I truly miss is the City.

It's so much easier when we lose and then my decision to move seems so much easier and rational.

When we go on great runs and have fab results, I feel like a bit of a Muppet. 🤪

bigfatronssba

We live in a world where no one can agree on anything anymore, we're massively divided, everything is polarised, constant fights between different groups.

Yet for 90 minutes once/twice a week, 25k of us are all on the same side, wanting the same thing. For those 90 minutes we're all one family, one tribe

At times that can be incredibly powerful

Deep down we all want to feel like we belong, and when you have a club & fanbase as united as we are, It can be very emotional

Manchester_sky_blue

Now live in Folkestone and absolutely love it here. It's all I ever wanted, but the one thing I truly miss is the City.

It's so much easier when we lose and then my decision to move seems so much easier and rational.

When we go on great runs and have fab results, I feel like a bit of a Muppet. 🤪
I wasn't going to say this but fuck it we are sharing and caring tonight so here goes.

I feel the same as you but not because I'm up North. I struggle with anxiety and recently I haven't been mentally able to get myself to games. On days like today it's especially painful.

Manchester_sky_blue

We live in a world where no one can agree on anything anymore, we're massively divided, everything is polarised, constant fights between different groups.

Yet for 90 minutes once/twice a week, 25k of us are all on the same side, wanting the same thing. For those 90 minutes we're all one family, one tribe

At times that can be incredibly powerful

Deep down we all want to feel like we belong, and when you have a club & fanbase as united as we are, It can be very emotional
A thumbs up is inadequate to convey how much I love this post.

Matt smith

I wasn't going to say this but fuck it we are sharing and caring tonight so here goes.

I feel the same as you but not because I'm up North. I struggle with anxiety and recently I haven't been mentally able to get myself to games. On days like today it's especially painful.
Ah mate, all the best with what you’ve just explained.

Get up there in your own time, you won’t regret it

chiefdave

I moved away from Cov when I was 18 and didn't move back until mid-40s and constantly felt like that wherever I was living.

Was even worse when I went to uni as in those days there was no ifollow or anything like that. My Dad would send down The Pink every week and that was pretty much the only way to keep up with what was going on. Was never really in a position to regularly come back for games so it would be a handful of away games a year.

First thing I did when I moved back was get my season ticket, and then they fucked off to Birmingham :ROFLMAO:

Like many of us on here I've got issues with stress & anxiety, not to mention a whole load of 'real life' shit to constantly deal with and those couple of hours are pretty much my only escape. Days like today, an unexpected win in an amazing atmosphere with hugs & high fives from random people you don't know are very welcome.

usskyblue

I went to home, away and to reserve games at HR from ‘76 until ‘03. I’ve been in the US for 20 years now and I miss my club, pregame drinks, match days, the atmosphere and shooting the shit after games.. I miss it as much now, as I did when I left ‘home’.

I still get emotional (emotional as I type this about missing my club), I scream like a fuckingirl, get very animated and do a lot of pacing during games.. and afterwards I seek out every video/vlog I can find to get the perspective from the fan’s side.

I've been back a few times and thanks to Smiles and @steveo1987 have got to go to some games and hope to do so again soon.

This club was instilled into me at an early age by my now, long passed parents (RIP). I’m proud as fuck to be a Coventry fan and I always will.. and I’m proud as fuck of our fanbase who show up in huge numbers and make an incredible noise. It’s you guys that are responsible for making our support one of the best, not only in England but the fucking world.

Last edited:

Mucca Mad Boys

What does this club mean to me? Having moved down south recently, it makes me feel more attached to my roots. I joke around the office at work about supporting a ‘shit’ team, but I’m proud of supporting my local team and wouldn’t change it for the world.

Today, I nearly missed the game because my family dog is not well and he’s quite old so a trip to the vets could be his last. So today’s game was a great distraction for all the those personal lows. Up and down the country sport is an escape for many people going through tough times.

It may sound cringey or soppy, but today was one of those days where you really appreciate the highs of following a team.

Chris1987

This is the most excited I've felt about a City squad since the 80's. The thoroughly depressing times of points deductions , relegations and SISU impacted me personally very negatively. However after the uncertain start there is real positivity and optimism and the football we are playing has made my feeling of wellbeing rocket.
Just love the Club

stay_up_skyblues

It’s my only passtime and really the only constant throughout my entire life, well at least since my first game 27 odd years ago. Every girlfriend (up to and including my wife) and mate have known that match days are off limits - I’m simply unavailable. The rest of my time is spent providing, taxi’ing and generally doing shit for others. But the City is for me, my brothers and, recently, my daughter (and it’s one of the few times she puts that bloody phone away and lives in the moment with us). I’ll be there until I’m physically unable to. My first season was Dion Dublin’s last and I can honestly say I’ve never enjoyed it as much as I have the past few years.

Users who are viewing this thread