Whatever happened to Coventry city centre? (1 Viewer)

mrtrench

I left Coventry in 1981, having been lucky to be there during the punk revolution, enjoying the fantastic music scene at that time. Two (at least) fanzines: (Alternative Sounds and Private Enterprise); gigs every weekend with some great bands (Urge, Wild Boys, Specials until they became famous, Squad and of course Product who were amazing ;) ). The centre I guess wasn't great but the buzz made it feel good. I used to like wandering wound the market, reading in Lady Herbert's Garden and hanging around in Virgin by the big bird cage (cannot recall what that corridor is called that leads into Sheldon Square).

Last time I went many of the shops were boarded up and it felt awful (this was 10 years ago - haven't been back since). It's really unfair the way Coventry has been left to rot.

Nick

Administrator
Some people have no reason to go there, can't remember the last time I had a need to go there for something.

hill83

It's beginning to show signs of improvement to be fair.

Also, you said you last went 10 years ago. Are you aware that is 10 years ago?

Otis

Some people have no reason to go there, can't remember the last time I had a need to go there for something.

Really? Where do you go? Or do you buy everything online?

I go shopping in the city centre at least twice a week.

Ashdown

We use Cov as much as we can afford and that is coming from SW Leics. There are some good places to eat and some of the pubs are pretty good. Just looking at a show at the Belgrade to be honest and that will involve some ale and a bite to eat. It's people who live in Cov that seem to be the most critical and many of these hop on the train and spend their dosh in Brum. You reap what you sow and all that !?

ccfc92

We use Cov as much as we can afford and that is coming from SW Leics. There are some good places to eat and some of the pubs are pretty good. Just looking at a show at the Belgrade to be honest and that will involve some ale and a bite to eat. It's people who live in Cov that seem to be the most critical and many of these hop on the train and spend their dosh in Brum. You reap what you sow and all that !?

When I come up from Bournemouth, I always go into town for a few beers etc.

I don't think Coventry folk realise, the food is better in Cov, a pint is better etc.

The food and beer in Bournemouth is usually shite and double the price.

hill83

Town Wall Tavern? Some cracking ales in there. Great little old boozer.

NorthernWisdom

Don't actually think it's *too* bad, the main problem is it's not joined up in the slightest. A few half decent pubs (Whitefriars, Gatehouse, Windmill) but not really places you can sit and eat (can in the Gatehouse, but not the kind of place I could take my Mum and expect a seat!) and you have to cross an empty desolate central space to get to them all.

Add in the now extortionate prices for Salt Lane and the like (why more than the other side of town?) and it's another reason not to go.

Bit nervous about whether they'll make the most of Cathedral Lanes. Personally I'd have knocked it down and made restaurants span the main precinct so it got some life back in an evening. That's what it needs, the impression of activity.

Otis

I think people don't realise how busy the city centre can be and how many restaurants there are etc.

We wanted a bite to eat in the city a couple of months ago. It was a Saturday and about quarter to six. We tried 14 restaurants in the city centre and they were all full. Couldn't get a table anywhere for love nor money.

Ashdown

Don't actually think it's *too* bad, the main problem is it's not joined up in the slightest. A few half decent pubs (Whitefriars, Gatehouse, Windmill) but not really places you can sit and eat (can in the Gatehouse, but not the kind of place I could take my Mum and expect a seat!) and you have to cross an empty desolate central space to get to them all.

Add in the now extortionate prices for Salt Lane and the like (why more than the other side of town?) and it's another reason not to go.

Bit nervous about whether they'll make the most of Cathedral Lanes. Personally I'd have knocked it down and made restaurants span the main precinct so it got some life back in an evening. That's what it needs, the impression of activity.

The Artisan bar and grill just round the corner from the Gatehouse is very nice now, the Town Wall tavern is a fair shout too. All a quick walk from the Plaza car park. My only complaint there is the square that was supposed to be developed but has sat unused for years now. That would make a nice green space within CV1 with a few trees and benches and an Ice cream type operation ?

Otis

The Artisan bar and grill just round the corner from the Gatehouse is very nice now, the Town Wall tavern is a fair shout too. All a quick walk from the Plaza car park. My only complaint there is the square that was supposed to be developed but has sat unused for years now. That would make a nice green space within CV1 with a few trees and benches and an Ice cream type operation ?

That square should become like a London pocket park. Those are fab and we use them all the time when we go down London. Nice square with some lovely plants and shrubs etc. and maybe a little fountain in the middle. Just the job. Could then have a lovely view from Cafe Rouge and Pizza Express.

It's still fashionable with some people to knock the City or its centre, summed up by a thread about how badly someone found it.....10 years ago!
It really is starting to look better now, despite the hordes of unemployed immigrants hanging around doing nothing all day.
There are some real shitholes in this country and in my opinion, Coventry isn't one of them.

Johnnythespider

I quite like the town now, there are some areas that still need work, I would go as far as to say that I even like tetris towers, the gold lame effect it replaced was very 80s. Their are some decent places to eat and have a pint, granted they're dotted about a bit but if you don't mind a stroll between pints that's ok.

chiefdave

I think people don't realise how busy the city centre can be and how many restaurants there are etc.

I moved away in '92 and don't think I've been in the city centre since then but even back then it was always slated. Moved away and lived in various places and realised it wasn't so bad after all.

I think a lot of town centres have suffered from being over reliant on big chain stores rather than local traders who have been priced out. Now the big traders are moving out of town or online there's nobody to take their place.

ccfc92

Not so much the centre, but the old streets around the Cathedral and other parts of the city centre area, are truly beautiful and interesting to walk around.

Grendel

Solihull or Leamington. Vastly superior shopping experience.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Last time I was up in Cov (about a year ago), I was actually nervous about having to drive around the ring road! Me!! An ex city bus driver and ex city taxi driver! I'm coming up again next Monday. I just hope I don't have to negotiate the Toll Bar island any time! Heard so much about the road works!

NorthernWisdom

Last time I was up in Cov (about a year ago), I was actually nervous about having to drive around the ring road! Me!! An ex city bus driver and ex city taxi driver! I'm coming up again next Monday. I just hope I don't have to negotiate the Toll Bar island any time! Heard so much about the road works!

Off peak Tollbar's actually usable. Just a shame my way to work's through it!

Still, I can always go through Whitley instead...:slap:

Astute

Solihull or Leamington. Vastly superior shopping experience.

I knew a bird who worked at the lapdance place in Leamington a couple of years ago. But otherwise can't think of a reason to go there. A lot of the shops are cheap tat at big prices. Coventry wins easily. Brum is better though. The problem is that it is full of brummies and their dummy brummie accents make me laugh. It is so bad that the Wife refuses to go with me now.

Covstu

The issue with cov centre is it's poorly planned, you generally go to Birmingham, Leicester etc and they have all of the pubs, restaurants which are situated in the same area. Cops pubs are about ten min walk away from each other. With the development of cathedral lanes this hopefully should bring them around one area.

mrtrench

I'm really pleased to read that it has improved since I was last there. Also good to read that all the restaurants were full one evening - must mean things are picking up. :)

I told a small white lie - I was in Pool Meadow about 2 years ago. Didn't recognise it. Of course it's probably better but I still prefer the old one I remember.

Nick

Administrator

Christ, what would you need from town twice a week?

It depends what we need to buy. Would usually be Tesco for the shop, Smyths / Toys R us / Internet if we ever needed toy type stuff, electronics / appliances on the internet.

I think the last time I went to town was to go into Holland and Barrett because of I had forgot to order something online and wanted to get some until my online order came.

Are you sure your shopping isn't drinking halves in Wetherspoons all day in town? :claping hands:

Otis

Christ, what would you need from town twice a week?

It depends what we need to buy. Would usually be Tesco for the shop, Smyths / Toys R us / Internet if we ever needed toy type stuff, electronics / appliances on the internet.

I think the last time I went to town was to go into Holland and Barrett because of I had forgot to order something online and wanted to get some until my online order came.

Are you sure your shopping isn't drinking halves in Wetherspoons all day in town? :claping hands:

Nope!

Pints of mild. :D

Yes, usually go twice a week. Go to the likes of Wilkinsons and HMV, Sainsbury's and Primark and Game, CEX, M&S, Poundland, Holland and Barratt, TJ Hughes, BHS, Debenhams, Home Bargains, Forbidden Planet, West Orchards, Boots, WH Smith, Ikea, Thornton's, Lush, Tesco, Bella Italia, Pizza Express, Co-op.

That enough for you?

Nick

Administrator
Sure you aren't one of those shop lifters to order or do you not have much storage space at home so you have to stock up every couple of days? :)

Otis

Sure you aren't one of those shop lifters to order or do you not have much storage space at home so you have to stock up every couple of days? :)

Just like going round town. Meet my parents there too, who go religiously come rain or shine. They always go to Cov market and have a bit to eat in the food court at West Orchards.

RedSalmon

The town centre is getting better........slowly. The Town Wall Tavern is superb, great atmosphere and good selection of drinks. Drappers Bar (Browns) is pretty good too, although they seem to have altered the menu. Also the Establishment seems pretty decent, although have not eaten there. The centre needs a few more bars like these to attract people in.

Hope they do a decent job with Cathedral Lanes, it has always been an eyesore, so for me they have got a big job on to turn it around.

Coventry Market is still fantastic, and the fish stalls sell some amazingly fresh fish.

ccfc92

What's the plan for cathedral lanes?

I take it it's the shopping centre in broadgate? Not so clued up on names, just know where I am to look at.

ccfctommy

Nice to see a thread which isn't slating Cov for a change.

Making Broadgate a square and making more green spaces was a fantastic idea.

Users who are viewing this thread