Whatever happened to Coventry city centre? (1 Viewer)

NorthernWisdom

Lol. Oddly enough, I've just this second had an email from John Lewis saying they are price matching a competitor's promotion today. 

Means you must have shopped either there or Waitrose some time ;)

Grendel does have a point, in that the shopping areas are kind of... poor, and it doesn't particularly matter if you like it, I like it... compared to some neighbouring towns it does need more in there - shouldn't really be behind Solihull and Leamington in terms of range.

And the Precinct is laid out nicely to be able to mirror Solihull if the will's there. It has some great little pockets (market stands out. Really, we should be proud of that) but again, not connected. It's been the city's problem for ages (although better than it was!) that developments tend not to join together. That said, Whittle Arches a decent entrance if you come by bus, the Transport Museum's looking fine, Briadgate's better than it was (still wish it'd go green again mind, and that we'd get the view of the Cathedral back from the lower precinct) a shout-out to the odd little shop or cafe... but they tend to stand in isolation. Increase them and get a 'name' or two in, and it really will be on the up.

Otis

Means you must have shopped either there or Waitrose some time ;)

Grendel does have a point, in that the shopping areas are kind of... poor, and it doesn't particularly matter if you like it, I like it... compared to some neighbouring towns it does need more in there - shouldn't really be behind Solihull and Leamington in terms of range.

And the Precinct is laid out nicely to be able to mirror Solihull if the will's there. It has some great little pockets (market stands out. Really, we should be proud of that) but again, not connected. It's been the city's problem for ages (although better than it was!) that developments tend not to join together. That said, Whittle Arches a decent entrance if you come by bus, the Transport Museum's looking fine, Briadgate's better than it was (still wish it'd go green again mind, and that we'd get the view of the Cathedral back from the lower precinct) a shout-out to the odd little shop or cafe... but they tend to stand in isolation. Increase them and get a 'name' or two in, and it really will be on the up.

Yes, agree.

Yep, shopped in Waitrose before, but then again I much prefer M&S food.

I wrote an article a few years ago in the CT talking about the need to have restaurant and shopping quarters and the need to try and arrange the shopping experience to be better.

NorthernWisdom

Yes, agree.

Yep, shopped in Waitrose before, but then again I much prefer M&S food.

I wrote an article a few years ago in the CT talking about the need to have restaurant and shopping quarters and the need to try and arrange the shopping experience better.

There are also too many compromises made. The original precinct vision, a cross and the ability to centre the view on the cathedral, well that's a superb vision.

But we never let anything get old before starting again.

And then crazy decisions end up hurting the fresh starts over the years - the Priory area's a nice little park, well done, the visitor centre there's a little hideaway but... that's set to close. We just don't sell what we have well for tourists. There are things to see and do, but we neglect them and stop them showing their worth.

RedSalmon

John Lewis is the best place to buy electrical and white goods - 2 year warranty and price match

The point I am making is Coventry has a very poor offering for high end consumers. You may so "so what" but that brings trade and wealth in the City and it also brings people into the boundaries to live in it. In my office there is one person who lives in Coventry out of 11 workers - one. That one mutters under their breath they live there, Actually this is only because the centre has a total lack of appeal to that demographic and it continues to ignore these people at its peril

Lucas can build on greenbelt land all she likes but the people will not come unless the facilities and infrastructure are a lot more desirable.

Agree with just about all of this. Other high end retailers will follow a name like John Lewis because they know shoppers with disposable cash will shop there and probably shop with them as well. In fairness the council (I am most deffinately not a fan) do seem to be trying to improve the image and surroundings of the city centre. One of the problems is that it has been allowed to deteriorate to such a low level for so long it takes quite a while to bring things back to a decent level.

Never understood why the council bent over backwards to get Ikea into Coventry. The building is a monstrosity and will blight the skyline for years. Never been in the place but am told it's never more than half full.

NorthernWisdom

Never understood why the council bent over backwards to get Ikea into Coventry. The building is a monstrosity and will blight the skyline for years. Never been in the place but am told it's never more than half full.

tbf it does get people in from outside... although I agree about the building! Has always been reasonably busy when I've wondered through, but maybe I just pick the busy times ;) The sheer size of it will mean people are always spaced out though. I'd say overall that was a good decision, but do agree that it'd have been nice to have something that didn't dwarf Spon Street and St John's Church!

Otis

Agree with just about all of this. Other high end retailers will follow a name like John Lewis because they know shoppers with disposable cash will shop there and probably shop with them as well. In fairness the council (I am most deffinately not a fan) do seem to be trying to improve the image and surroundings of the city centre. One of the problems is that it has been allowed to deteriorate to such a low level for so long it takes quite a while to bring things back to a decent level.

It's a huge store though, the Cov one. Compared to others.

Been by car a few times at weekends and the car park has been pretty full there.

Grendel

It's a huge store though, the Cov one. Compared to others.

Been by car a few times at weekends and the car park has been pretty full there.

IKEA is an in and out store - it adds zero to City trade

Otis

IKEA is an in and out store - it adds zero to City trade

Can i just ask how you know this? Puzzled as to why you believe this to be the case. Or is it just your own perception?

I used to work in the city centre and many people would shop there in their lunch breaks and then shop elsewhere too. People don't just drive in, shop at Ikea and then drive off again.

I'm sure some do and I'm sure some don't. Find that statement a bit sweeping to be honest. I know people, who like me, just go in, go straight up to the market floor and buy stuff there and then shop elsewhere too. Not everyone just goes to Ikea on an Ikea shopathon.

NorthernWisdom

Thinking about it if Cathedaral Lanes does end up having a few nice restaurants in it, then they will need to consider a few bars in and around the same area.

I think the problem might be that so many bars in the city centre really only aim for, and cater for, students. Any new ones that aim for the same custom base as these restaurants will have to be quite a bit different.

Now the Golden Cross is a shadow of its former self, it's an ideal building for a top quality trad pub food fayre. Nice site, nice outlook over the cathedral, somewhere to stop for a real ale and a nice hearty meal.

They want it to be for spirit drinking 20yo men of course...

RedSalmon

Now the Golden Cross is a shadow of its former self, it's an ideal building for a top quality trad pub food fayre. Nice site, nice outlook over the cathedral, somewhere to stop for a real ale and a nice hearty meal.

They want it to be for spirit drinking 20yo men of course...

Would be good if this beautiful old pub could be sorted out and re branded. Fantastic location and with the right people in charge could be areal winner.

chiefdave

Seems to me what Coventry is lacking is it's Bull Ring. Brum council saw what was missing and did something about it where our council celebrate getting a Wagamama which must already be in pretty much every city in the country.

Unless they have a plan and do something to attract the higher end retailers they won't just turn up on their own.

Sick Boy

Well we will have to agree to disagree then.

In the last 6 months I have spent a number of days in Maidstone, Bedford, Reading, Northampton, Manchester, London, Luton, Guildford, Farnham, Ipswich, Rye, Hastings, Bournemouth, amongst many others and I have seen idiots in every circumstance.

Yep, some much prettier towns and cities than Coventry, but still the same sort of idiots.

Hastings is one of the biggest dumps in the country. Went there probably 7 years ago and there were a couple of idiots burying a dead kitten under stones on the beach.

Tad

Seems to me what Coventry is lacking is it's Bull Ring. Brum council saw what was missing and did something about it where our council celebrate getting a Wagamama which must already be in pretty much every city in the country.

Unless they have a plan and do something to attract the higher end retailers they won't just turn up on their own.

I don't think we need one to be honest. I'm not sure if this is exactly true, but I've heard many people say opening and running a shop in Cov city centre is just too damn expensive. Maybe addressing that would help bring life into the city.

Noggin

we shop in Birmingham, go to the cinema in Birmingham, go out to eat in Leamington, Kennilworth, Birmingham, even go to the hospital in Birmingham (not a choice though), my only trips to the city centre have been to specsavers, the football club was the only thing I really loved about the city and thats been ruined too over the last couple of years, shame.

Ashdown

we shop in Birmingham, go to the cinema in Birmingham, go out to eat in Leamington, Kennilworth, Birmingham, even go to the hospital in Birmingham (not a choice though), my only trips to the city centre have been to specsavers, the football club was the only thing I really loved about the city and thats been ruined too over the last couple of years, shame.

I'm sorry to say but that is why Coventry struggles to succeed and emphasises how Coventrians reap what they sow !

NorthernWisdom

While I can buy most of it... what benefits do you get going to the cinema in Brum rather than Cov?!?

There's always the Warwick Arts Centre if your tastes are obscure, and the Showcase shows all the boom-a-bang-bang type things.

Grendel

I'm sorry to say but that is why Coventry struggles to succeed and emphasises how Coventrians reap what they sow !

Not really as for once I agree with him. The experience is better in the towns he listed.

Kenilworth is tiny and has more quality and variety of eating establishments than Coventry could dream of.

pusbccfc

Was in Coventry yesterday for the Motofest and the city was thriving. Saw a number of different football shirts (which is often a good indication of where people are from). All the pubs were busy and the newly changed Friargate looked more than decent.

Attracting places like Wagamamas in big, now they have decided to open a store in the city, other similar chains will also look to do so.

For me the best thing we could do is improve the area around the station ASAP. I am glad they have done the first bit quickly, but more needs to be done directly outside the station. Most cities and towns I go to for the football have a relatively thriving area outside the station with pubs and bars where people visit once hopping off the train. I know our station is at a disadvantage being located slightly outside the city centre, but there is room there, something we don't have inside the ring road.

pusbccfc

Not really as for once I agree with him. The experience is better in the towns he listed.

Kenilworth is tiny and has more quality and variety of eating establishments than Coventry could dream of.

Yeah, but you pay the price for that, Kenilworth is far more expensive to eat and drink than Coventry.

Tad

It's not that much more expensive. Plus, if it means avoiding idiots, it's a price worth paying.

Grendel

Yeah, but you pay the price for that, Kenilworth is far more expensive to eat and drink than Coventry.

I wonder why - anyway eating wise I wouldn't think there is a massive difference. There is a good range of restaurants including a couple of known chains where the pricing is fixed. Atmosphere is pleasant and relaxed.

Ashdown

Was in Coventry yesterday for the Motofest and the city was thriving. Saw a number of different football shirts (which is often a good indication of where people are from). All the pubs were busy and the newly changed Friargate looked more than decent.

Attracting places like Wagamamas in big, now they have decided to open a store in the city, other similar chains will also look to do so.

What's happening with the Rocket these days, that was first port of call before all City's trips to the West Mids in the old days ! Pubs mostly have to do food now though to survive and a decent offering at that. That area may make some decent money now with the train stop encouraging visitors to eat and drank around the main train station before hopping on the shuttles to the Ricoh.

For me the best thing we could do is improve the area around the station ASAP. I am glad they have done the first bit quickly, but more needs to be done directly outside the station. Most cities and towns I go to for the football have a relatively thriving area outside the station with pubs and bars where people visit once hopping off the train. I know our station is at a disadvantage being located slightly outside the city centre, but there is room there, something we don't have inside the ring road.

Ashdown

I wonder why - anyway eating wise I wouldn't think there is a massive difference. There is a good range of restaurants including a couple of known chains where the pricing is fixed. Atmosphere is pleasant and relaxed.

Took the wife to Aqua { Lebanese } the other week, absolutely delightful little gem close to the BPA. Decent enough pub next door { The Aardvark } for a couple of pre dinner drinks. Will be back soon.

pusbccfc

Took the wife to Aqua { Lebanese } the other week, absolutely delightful little gem close to the BPA. Decent enough pub next door { The Aardvark } for a couple of pre dinner drinks. Will be back soon.

Aardvark is a decent pub, which is soon to be changing from a student type pub to a more mature venue with live music.

The prices are brilliant, £2.15 for a pint!

kdrinkell

There are plenty of idiots in both Kenilworth and definitely Leamington.
The problem with Leamo,Kenilworth and Warwick is that the people think their shit doesn't stink.
At least in Coventry we know we aren't perfect but get on with it.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Plus 'Subways' in Kenilworth have the sweetcorn option for sandwiches unlike Coventry! Life's priorities man!

Tad

There are plenty of idiots in both Kenilworth and definitely Leamington.

Indeed, but put that with what little Cov has to offer and it's no surprise people go elsewhere.

Noggin

While I can buy most of it... what benefits do you get going to the cinema in Brum rather than Cov?!?

There's always the Warwick Arts Centre if your tastes are obscure, and the Showcase shows all the boom-a-bang-bang type things.

Birmingham have an imax, the giant screen at millennium point and the odeon isence with dolby atmos, all 3 are an order of magnitude better than showcase which I live less than 5 minutes from. I've written to showcase and odeon (both e-mail and posts on facebook) asking them to put in one of their premium screens in Coventry but neither replied. Since I'm in a wheelchair so home the vast majority of the time (and because I'm a geek) we spent a fair bit on our tv and sound system and so for the most part I'd prefer to watch a movie at home than at the showcase especially as the last twice I went there (years ago now) it was spoiled by kids acting out. The premium screens don't seem to have that issue (or perhaps I've just been very lucky). I prefer the 30 minute drive to watch a movie at one of those 3 screens and to have better places to eat before or after than the convenience of watching in Coventry. But no my tastes arn't obscure for the most part I'm a popcorn movie kinda guy.

I spent 20+ years only doing those things in Coventry, I'd much prefer to not to have to drive 20 minutes for great food at the pub/restaurant, 30 minutes for the cinema or shopping but if the options aren't here it's foolish not to go where they are. My wifes family take us to amazing places that we couldn't afford the least we can do when we take them out is find a nice place. Most the places we eat still have Coventry post codes. But as 1 person in a city of hundreds of thousands I have no desire to try and change things by spending my money here, my life is way to short not to go and do what makes us happy.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

Nice to see a thread which isn't slating Cov for a change.

Making Broadgate a square and making more green spaces was a fantastic idea.

Hang on ! It's absolutely shocking. What the Luftwaffe didn't destroy the planners subsequently did. Nothing is done on a big enough scale and looks small-town thinking. Cathedral Lanes for one, West Orchards another. Both together a fraction of the Bullring. Upper precinct needs knocking down, its out of date and depressing . The outdoor escalator is an insult to the people of Coventry - the Burges is bloody awful when it should be a showpiece . What on earth is Hertford street actually for ? The bus station - what the hell are those pillars about ?
Restaurant "quarter" at Cathedral Lanes ? No one will bother. Bulldoze the place.

Having said this it's better than 20 years ago but its best to flatten everything bar the cathedral and start again. It's crap.

Last edited:

Macca

The problem with Leamo,Kenilworth and Warwick is that the people think their shit doesn't stink.
At least in Coventry we know we aren't perfect but get on with it.[/QUOTE

The real areas of all 3 are no different to Coventry if you are trying to infer they are stuck up

Otis

Hang on ! It's absolutely shocking. What the Luftwaffe didn't destroy the planners subsequently did. Nothing is done on a big enough scale and looks small-town thinking. Cathedral Lanes for one, West Orchards another. Both together a fraction of the Bullring. Upper precinct needs knocking down, its out of date and depressing . The outdoor escalator is an insult to the people of Coventry - the Burges is bloody awful when it should be a showpiece . What on earth is Hertford street actually for ? The bus station - what the hell are those pillars about ?
Restaurant "quarter" at Cathedral Lanes ? No one will bother. Bulldoze the place.

Having said this it's better than 20 years ago but its best to flatten everything bar the cathedral and start again. It's crap.

Sorry ADM, but this is Coventry folk all over. Dissing the Cathedral Lanes restaurant idea before it's even been built.

I think it may well work really well. They are putting balconies in and glass windows, so you will have an elevated view over Broadgate.

There are to be 3 restaurants in place there, with maybe more to come. If Cathedral Lanes is to remain in place, then I think this is a welcome addition to our city.

I agree the outdoor escalator needs to go and Hertford Street needs a revamp, it having used to be the premier shopping street in Coventry in its day.

Wouldn't take much at all to make the Burges great again. I see it as having the potential for being like a Carnaby Street, what with Kong and Carhartt there. If they just moved the likes of Gladrags and Blue Banana there they would be on to something.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Just got back home to IOW after visiting family for a few days in Cov. I have to say, I couldn't wait to get out! What a depressing place! Driving through, it was like something out of Mad Max! It will always be my home City, and will always hold a place in my heart, but I am so glad to be out of it. Bye bye Cov. I won't be returning unless I really have to!

Users who are viewing this thread