Who is good enough next season? (1 Viewer)

long way home

We are still trying for top 6, so we still have plenty to play for in the last 11 games. The good thing for Robins is, its going to give him a real good picture of who has the heart, desire and balls to compete to get in a top 6 race. Especially when all is not going well with results or when It gets physically tough. The new players will be under the microscope and he will see how they handle themselves in pressured games when tired, stressed and up against it. I would it will be beneficial going into the summer for Robins to see the reactions of all.

We know we will lose the 5 out of contract players in COH, kelly, Bell, Lusala, Moore who i assume will not renewed. And i can see Robins moving on Godden, Wilson and DaSilva or at least letting them know the plan of what is ahead of them with the club.

Palmer could be in for extensions, but it would not shock me to see Bidwell staying with his current contract being let run down while being part of squads.

Burroughs, Howley, Tavares and Obikwu will be evaluated. Along with Isaac Moore and Andrews to decide the pathway for them.

As of now i can see

2 CB.
2 FW.
1 AM who can play as a 10 or wide mid.
1 LB.
1 utility player

Anyone not mentioned will be in unless Robins finds better. We have done ok this season i think a top 10 finish is there for us, a QF spot is there and we have seen an improvement off the field. We need to play these last 12 with all we have and then look to the summer to improve in areas again.

We will be good, im sure of it.

Last edited:

CovLad94

It'll be an interesting summer, won't be as big a turnover of players as this season was, bit that we get in will hopefully be of a higher quality and I'm sure they will. Simms will be alot better next season I feel, as will Haji, although his numbers haven't been too bad for his first season.

What's the crack with Cian Tyler? Was suprised he wasn't on the bench against Maidstone or is he injured now. Wonder whether he's got a future here or not.

Balli001

It'll be an interesting summer, won't be as big a turnover of players as this season was, bit that we get in will hopefully be of a higher quality and I'm sure they will. Simms will be alot better next season I feel, as will Haji, although his numbers haven't been too bad for his first season.

What's the crack with Cian Tyler? Was suprised he wasn't on the bench against Maidstone or is he injured now. Wonder whether he's got a future here or not.
Been injured all season I beleive

higgs

Bring back mcnally norton cuffy and mccallum and see how max does between now and the end of the season at donny if he starts firing he could replace god

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

Otis

Bring back mcnally norton cuffy and mccallum and see how max does between now and the end of the season at donny if he starts firing he could replace god

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk
I thought Max WAS God..🤔

Legia Sky Blue

A PL club isn’t going to spend £100m on Gyokeres.

Maybe not, but I'm sure if he does move this Summer it will be for a sum you would have previously thought unthinkable, particularly at the start of last season when there were plenty on here (can't recall if you were one of them) urging the club to sell for anywhere near £10m, as that was the max we would get as he would only have a year left on his contract at the end of that season, and his value would therefore plummet. Same argument was made with Hamer, with people urging to sell if we had been offered between as little as 3m and 5m. A lot of know alls were badly wrong in both instances :)

Boicey

A PL club isn’t going to spend £100m on Gyokeres.
Not really the point chum.
Just because one naturally very talented player who was here will become a top flight footballer, doesnt mean anyone here can with a bit of our coaching sauce eg. Simms.

Sick Boy

Maybe not, but I'm sure if he does move this Summer it will be for a sum you would have previously thought unthinkable, particularly at the start of last season when there were plenty on here (can't recall if you were one of them) urging the club to sell for anywhere near £10m, as that was the max we would get as he would only have a year left on his contract at the end of that season, and his value would therefore plummet. Same argument was made with Hamer, with people urging to sell if we had been offered between as little as 3m and 5m. A lot of know alls were badly wrong in both instances :)
The release clause is €100m for starters.

Sick Boy

Sportong Lisbon vs Man Utd, Chelsea no difference right?
Lolz
It's more the idea that a player is only truly a top flight player is whether they've play in the PL or not.
Going from Sporting to a mid-table PL side like Chelsea is hardly going to be a major step-up.

Terry_dactyl

If Utd can spend a similar amount on the lad they got from Atalanta and Liverpool on Nunez, there’s every chance a team will meet Vik’s buyout clause.

SkyblueTexan

People will hate this comment, but after watching our key players get kicked from pillar to post and not getting any protection from the refs, I’d like us not to be pushovers and soft next season and work on the dark arts ourselves more next season. We need to learn how to keep the good players of other teams “calm” (as David Wagner has so eloquently said) and try to incorporate some of the roughhousing tactics that sides employ against us. I don’t care if we have to prematurely end the season for some opposition players (that’s life isn’t it according to some managers). Unfortunately playing sexy football alone is not enough. In addition, as some of you have said the directness of some teams, in stringing 2-3 passes (instead of 20 sideways passes) has also worked well. Obviously we need more/better players in and get rid of the ones mentioned on prior posts. So we need to work on all these things. That’s what it takes to get out of this division.

Last edited:

False9

Out
O'Hare
Godden (300k to league one if we're lucky)
Burroughs (200k to league one or two)
Kelly
Moore
Tavares (season loan and then released)

First team
MVE
Thomas
Kitching
Sheaf
Torp
Sakamoto
EMC
Wright

Squad players
Palmer
Simms
Bidwell or Dasilva (one has to go to make way for a first choice)
Latibeaudiere
Eccles
Allen
Collins (number two)

That would leave us needing a GK, LB, AMC as priority signings for first team. Then we would also need a CB, CM, ST/Wing x 2 as a minimum for the squad.

skyblue_55

It might be on the cards for Doug to raid Peterborough’s highly rated talent.
Doug & the Peterborough owner , seemed to get on really well , in coming to a compromise over EMC , so there might be some room for manoeuvre, to prise another up & coming talent to the championship ?

JSL

For me:

GK: Collins | New GK
RB: MVE | New RB
RCB: Thomas | New CB
LCB: Kitching | New CB
LB: New LB | Bidwell
CM: Sheaf | Eccles
CM: Torp | New CM
RW: Saka | New RW
AM: New AM | Palmer
LW: EMC | New LW
ST: Wright | Simms

That's 9 new players.

2 (AM/LB) are starters and need serious money spending on them.
2 (RCB, RW) are in positions where they can properly challenge for a starting spot and should be 1st team quality.
5 (GK/RB/LCB/CM/LW) are proper backups as the starters are good enough IMO so can take gambles on youngsters & loans.

This doesn't take into account versatile squad players like Lati, Burroughs, or the youngsters who've made squads this season.
I think this is a pretty good assessment but add another striker too, as the current ones aren't exactly setting the world on fire

Chris1987

I would like to see any new players coming in have some physical presence and nastiness about them. As a team we need to toughen up and be as rough arse as our opposition. This has been illustrated a few times this season.

Hincha

Most of the squad are good enough and the forum was in agreement of this before the fixture congestion and injuries that saw our squad stretched too thin.

We were the 3rd best team in the league for the best part of 2 months - don’t think that happens when half the squad are no hopers.

Next season a lot of players will be having a first full pre-season with us (due to late signings this season to secure the right players). Proper time for the coaches to work with the players and improve them.

Next season foreign players (Saka/Wright/MvE) will have a season of English football under their belts and will be better equipped to handle a 50+ game season (people forget Hamer’s form dipped significantly post-Christmas during his first season. It’s hard to have an extra 10 games squeezed in).

Next season our youngest players (Thomas/Simms) will have a full season of Championship experience and will be better for it (compare Hyams first and second season at this level. He went from liability to cornerstone of our defence).

We can expect our coaching team to improve players like Collins/Kitching/Torp etc.

As we’re unlikely to make the playoffs we wont be 2 weeks behind everybody else like we were this year.

We will add another 6-8 players and improve the squad. Players getting decent minutes who aren’t quite at the level this season will either move on (Godden/Wilson) or become squad players (Eccles/Da Silva/Allen).

We’re at the beginning of a 5-year cycle of bringing in young players to develop beyond our level and push for the Prem. We have so much to be excited about that the negativity just feels ridiculous.

Dimi_Konstantflapalot

I’ve been slightly disappointed overall with Kitching. For the fee we paid and his previous Championship experience, I expected a bit better, think he loses composure at times and makes wrong decisions a little too often on when to commit which leaves us exposed.

He definitely adds a physical presence and I’ll be interested to see how him and Thomas progress next season with a year under their belts, presumably as first choice pairing

Flying Fokker

It’s fine margins isn’t it? I mean it’s just a yard, a split second but we often seem second to everything. With the injuries and tiredness you wonder about fitness and nutriti
I'll focus on recruitment as we all thought we'd bought a pile shit at the start.
For me it's still mostly shit but 6 out of 10 not bad
Kitching Good
Tats Good
Torp Good
Wright Still not sure
MVE Still not sure
Lati Still not sure
Collins Poor
Thomas Poor
Dasilva Shit
Simms Shit
Sad to see your list. Trying to look at the positives.

Last edited:

lacesoutdom

couple of bad results and everyone on here lose their heads

by comparison, in 2022/2023 season we were 9th, were 9th now.
we didn't reach the playoff until game 44 out of 46.

after 35 games:
2022/23 = W14 D10 L11
2023/24 = W13 D12 L10

I did list each player and if i think they;ll stay or go, end of the day, hamer and gkoy is the loss, we dont have hamer type player, the trier, desperate to win, no matter what, and the clinical goalscorer like gyok......yet.

keep the faith, wright has 11goalls and 5 assists, thats just fine, simms will come good, gyok was so poor when he first joined.

Deity

We wont be bringing a RB in, Burroughs will be the understudy. Until his injury he was one of Lincolns best players and MR feels hes good enough to cover when needed now hes been out on loan

Howley is the one whos loan hasnt been successful so he may well be let go
Is Howley out of contract this summer ?

Memory playing tricks on me but pre Eccles it might be Bigi who was last player to come through the academy and make an impact at championship level. Could be wrong.

You can’t blame Robins for that because not many have gone on to have a better career after not making it at Cov.

Niw we are establishing ourselves as a decent championship side again hopefully we will start to attract better youth talent

Users who are viewing this thread