Wolf whistling - a Hate Crime? (1 Viewer)

Gazolba

Curious to know what you guys think of this:
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeand...mshire-police-count-wolf-whistling-hate-crime

Let me preface this by saying I have never wolf-whistled a woman in my life. However, I thought doing so was an expression of admiration, not of hate.
As far as I can see, reading this article, if you approach a woman and ask for a date (or even say anything like ask her for the time) and she considers it 'unwanted verbal contact', you are guilty of an offence.

ConnorDevine

Really want to put my two cents on in this before it inevitably gets lost in a load of people crying about how their right to heckle women is being diminished.

The issue with wolf whistling and cat calling is it's not only rude and unpleasant but intimidating. It's an unwanted sexual advance from someone you don't know and it's done in a leering manner, to ask for a date would usually be done in a normal polite way and is a two way conversation where she can say no, to cat call is a one way advance. I know it seems harmless but I know a fair few women who can some times get cat called multiple times on a day out in various degrees of threateningly sexual ways. From a womans point of view they just shouldn't have to worry about being sexually objectified going about day to day life.

Otis

Curious to know what you guys think of this:
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeand...mshire-police-count-wolf-whistling-hate-crime

Let me preface this by saying I have never wolf-whistled a woman in my life. However, I thought doing so was an expression of admiration, not of hate.
As far as I can see, reading this article, if you approach a woman and ask for a date (or even say anything like ask her for the time) and she considers it 'unwanted verbal contact', you are guilty of an offence.
No, don't see it as an admiration thing at all.

I see it as an intimidation and macho sexual power thing.

skybluetony176

I haven't wolf whistled a member of the opposite sex since I became an adult. Well, except maybe a cheeky one to the wife once in a while.

covmark

I find this pretty funny really. My missus is blonde slim and attractive, and I have to say she enjoys a little attention when walking down the street. She views it as a bit of harmless fun that happens to make her feel good. Feeds her ego for want of a better phrase.
In a way it feeds my ego too, because I know it's my bed she'll be sleeping in tonight.

If ladies find this type of thing offensive or intimidating then they need to be a little less uptight. Not every bloke is some sort of lech, but they may be appreciative of a fine looking woman.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Astute

I find this pretty funny really. My missus is blonde slim and attractive, and I have to say she enjoys a little attention when walking down the street. She views it as a bit of harmless fun that happens to make her feel good. Feeds her ego for want of a better phrase.
In a way it feeds my ego too, because I know it's my bed she'll be sleeping in tonight.

If ladies find this type of thing offensive or intimidating then they need to be a little less uptight. Not every bloke is some sort of lech, but they may be appreciative of a fine looking woman.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
Absolutely spot on.

These days you occasionally have women nearly showing everything that they have. They spend ages getting ready to go out. Even if it is to go to the shop. But if you look at them they make out that you are a pervert. Yes women should be allowed to dress how they want. But unless the bloke is talking to her beasts instead of her face why have a go? Why look good if you don't want anyone to look?

I have always complemented women on how they look. I have only ever had one have a go at me. But what I do is smile first. If they smile back you are normally safe to be yourself. And yes I do it in front of my wife. And before anyone says it I don't do it all the time. It still amazes me on what my wife thinks is stunning to me.

I am with Covmark here. My wife used to get whistles and comments all the time. She loved it. But she is 50 2 months today. It is the one thing that she doesn't like about getting older.

Otis

I'm sure there are of course women who do like this sort of thing, but for every one that does I am sure there are twice as many as do not.

A lot of women feel intimidated by it. I have known of women who would take a different route past a building site in order to avoid being wolf whistled and oggled at.

I have spoken to many women about this sort of thing over the years and an awful lot of them do not like it at all and find it very embarrassing and intimidating.

Of course though, some do like the attention. Such is life.

Doesn't make it right though because some like it while most don't.

Astute

I'm sure there are of course women who do like this sort of thing, but for every one that does I am sure there are twice as many as do not.

A lot of women feel intimidated by it. I have known of women who would take a different route past a building site in order to avoid being wolf whistled and oggled at.

I have spoken to many women about this sort of thing over the years and an awful lot of them do not like it at all and find it very embarrassing and intimidating.

Of course though, some do like the attention. Such is life.

Doesn't make it right though because some like it while most don't.
Most don't like it because they have never been whistled at unless they are taking the piss.

Otis

Most don't like it because they have never been whistled at unless they are taking the piss.
Disagree.

Don't see it as a hate crime, but to many women it is not nice and I have been around that sort of environment myself and workers haven't wolf whistled because it is a pretty or shapely woman, they have wolf whistled just because it was a woman.

A lot of women do find it intimidating. I have had a number of girlfriends find it very intimidating.

Are you telling women they shouldn't feel the way they feel and just get on with it?

armybike

covmark and Astute, you're talking absolute drivel.

The mere fact you believe women are all fair game and should just put up with it is exactly the problem.

It's not for you to decide what other people should put up with or find acceptable.

Last edited:

Astute

covmark and Astute, you're talking absolute drivel.

The mere fact you believe women are all fair game and should just put up with it is exactly the problem.

It's not for you to decide what other people should put up with or find acceptable.
I said that I complement women for looking good. Are you saying that I shouldn't?

I also said that my wife liked the occasional whistle. Are you telling me that I am wrong there as well?

There is a difference between drooling unwelcome comments and lighthearted comments.

armybike

I said that I complement women for looking good. Are you saying that I shouldn't?

I also said that my wife liked the occasional whistle. Are you telling me that I am wrong there as well?

There is a difference between drooling unwelcome comments and lighthearted comments.

Try actually reading what I said before asking questions.

Astute

You're spouting absolute shite as a statement of fact, because it tallies with your world view.

Come up with something that's not bollocks and I won't call it bollocks.
So why no reply on the thread?

Oh yes because the evidence is now on it.

skybluetony176

I think for the most part women don't like being wolf whistled because it's always some ugly, misogynistic, Jack from on the buses type, with a permanent hard on as they can't get any, who use wolf whistling as a substitute for talking to women because they're intellectually inept hence they think it's OK to wolf whistle.

More commonly known as a wanker.

Astute

And on what basis, information and/or evidence have you based this claim?
It was more or less outlawed years ago. Builders got the sack for doing it. And now I am supposed to believe that most women still get it. I can't remember the last time I saw it. Although it might be because I live in a more civilised area ;)

armybike

It was more or less outlawed years ago. Builders got the sack for doing it. And now I am supposed to believe that most women still get it. I can't remember the last time I saw it. Although it might be because I live in a more civilised area ;)

So how does builders being disciplined for it mean it's outlawed? You're think only builders do it?

Also who, aside from you, has mentioned 'most women' being subjected to such behaviour?

The fact you've not observed something taking place doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

Otis

I think for the most part women don't like being wolf whistled because it's always some ugly, misogynistic, Jack from on the buses type, with a permanent hard on as they can't get any, who use wolf whistling as a substitute for talking to women because they're intellectually inept hence they think it's OK to wolf whistle.

More commonly known as a wanker.
My experience around it (worked for British Coal and logistics and warehousing companies, predominantly male environments) has been one of when a women walks past they wolf whistle or make a comment and it's not been 'oh, she's Nice,' it has been 'whoa, I'd have HER!' Or 'I'd give her one.'

Been very much less complimentary and more a macho sex power thing.

Do think it depends on the environment you work in though of course.

Bruce the Boot

A "Wolf Whistle" has always been a compliment in my eyes , sad that some Lady's cant accept that , and seek attention by not accepting, and choosing the great "womens" other,speciality
,MOANING .

Astute

So how does builders being disciplined for it mean it's outlawed? You're think only builders do it?

Also who, aside from you, has mentioned 'most women' being subjected to such behaviour?

The fact you've not observed something taking place doesn't mean it doesn't happen.
The clue was in the comment.

If it happened when walking past a building site you have more chance of it being a builder than a brain surgeon :)

I used to work on building sites. I know it used to happen all the time. And I know it happens much less now.

I may be an idiot. But I know that many things happen that I don't see myself. Otherwise the world would nearly be a perfect place.

armybike

The clue was in the comment.

If it happened when walking past a building site you have more chance of it being a builder than a brain surgeon :)

I used to work on building sites. I know it used to happen all the time. And I know it happens much less now.

I may be an idiot. But I know that many things happen that I don't see myself. Otherwise the world would nearly be a perfect place.

The fact you acknowledge it still happens demonstrates the situation is an ongoing one.

The fact you think such actions are acceptable doesn't mean women should - that's the point you seem to be missing.

Astute

The fact you acknowledge it still happens demonstrates the situation is an ongoing one.

The fact you think such actions are acceptable doesn't mean women should - that's the point you seem to be missing.
I have questioned things stated as fact.

Most women do not get whistled at. But it is said to piss most women off. So how can this be? So like I said it must piss most women off for not getting whistled at.

I said I complement women who look good and care for how they look. I don't whistle at them. Not done that for about 30 years now.

I still get complements occasionally. It does make you feel good.

If some people had their way you would only be able to talk to the opposite sex if you know them.

Nick

Administrator
I didn't even realise this still happened. Hate crime through?
It only mentions towards a woman, will it be the same towards men? It is all well and good saying men on a building site are bad, but it isn't just them.

armybike

Most women do not get whistled at. But it is said to piss most women off. So how can this be? So like I said it must piss most women off for not getting whistled at.

What are you on about? The link you're trying to present simply doesn't exist.

The fact you've not directly subjected to something doesn't mean you can't form the opinion that you wouldn't want to be - it doesn't mean you're "pissed off" for not being subjected to such actions.

Users who are viewing this thread