Wolf whistling - a Hate Crime? (1 Viewer)

Astute

What are you on about? The link you're trying to present simply doesn't exist.

The fact you've not directly subjected to something doesn't mean you can't form the opinion that you wouldn't want to be - it doesn't mean you're "pissed off" for not being subjected to such actions.
Can we have that in English please?

ajsccfc

I wouldn't call it a hate crime, but it always seems lecherous and while it could be taken as a cheeky compliment it can just as easily make someone uncomfortable. I don't like the whole idea of if women make themselves look nice they shouldn't complain about the attention, that's the first step on the slippery slope of 'asking for it'. A lot of people try to look good for their own confidence as much as anything.

I like Tony's point about it being a bit On The Buses, it seems like a relic from that time. Shouting about someone's arse from a passing van, telling women to smile or cheer up, that kind of thing. Bit 70s.

Nick

Administrator
I wouldn't call it a hate crime, but it always seems lecherous and while it could be taken as a cheeky compliment it can just as easily make someone uncomfortable. I don't like the whole idea of if women make themselves look nice they shouldn't complain about the attention, that's the first step on the slippery slope of 'asking for it'. A lot of people try to look good for their own confidence as much as anything.

I like Tony's point about it being a bit On The Buses, it seems like a relic from that time. Shouting about someone's arse from a passing van, telling women to smile or cheer up, that kind of thing. Bit 70s.

I haven't heard anything like it for ages. Since I stopped wearing the long blonde wig anyway :)

jimmyhillsfanclub

Exactly this.

A hate crime is sticking a knife in someone cos of their race, or smearing religious relics with shit, or shooting an MP for harbouring different views.....

A wolf whistle is just sad & outdated.......but certainly not any sort of "crime".

rondog1973

Attachments

• IMG-20160701-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20160701-WA0001.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 8

fernandopartridge

There are some real wet blankets on here. None of them wimmin but being offended on behalf of women. Where's your Milly Tante t-shirts?

I don't wolf whistle but I think badging it as a 'hate crime' seems to diminish genuine hate crime. It's another way for the police and authorities to subtly increase their power by criminalising what are mostly acts with innocuous intent.

Nick

Administrator
I await the police accompanying firemen to arrest the women for hate crimes.

I saw firemen go into an office once where women were, it was worse than any building site.

Otis

There are some real wet blankets on here. None of them wimmin but being offended on behalf of women. Where's your Milly Tante t-shirts?

I don't wolf whistle but I think badging it as a 'hate crime' seems to diminish genuine hate crime. It's another way for the police and authorities to subtly increase their power by criminalising what are mostly acts with innocuous intent.
But where on this thread has any agreed with it being a hate crime?

Think you will find everyone has said it is not haven't they?

Otis

I await the police accompanying firemen to arrest the women for hate crimes.

I saw firemen go into an office once where women were, it was worse than any building site.
Well yep, should work both ways.

rondog1973

Some women love it, some find it offensive and intimidating, but a hate crime?

Think the justice system in this country has bigger fish to fry in all honesty.

Nick

Administrator
The baby oil they carried and bright pink fire engine they arrived in should have tipped you off that they weren't real firemen.

Damn, they were so nice to me as well. I thought they always danced whilst putting out fires and they took their tops off because they were hot?

rob9872

I have never wolf whistled anyone, but that's mainly because I can't whistle :-(

Not a hate crime for me though, but not entirely surprised as people are far too sensitive.

Otis

I've not said that they agreed, just that they're wet blankets.
Okay, fair enough. Entitled to your opinion.

Just think wolf whistling belongs in the dinosaur age. A lot of women don't like it.

Many apologies for being in touch with my feminine side. :)

armybike

And your thoughts on those who believe they're entitled to decide what women should put up?

fernandopartridge

And your thoughts on those who believe they're entitled to decide what women should put up?

I presume you mean Nottinghamshire Police. I've already said what I think of their actions, though I don't believe their actions are really about protecting women per se. They're about increasing their own powers.

armybike

I presume you mean Nottinghamshire Police.

No, I mean those on here.

You've raised issue with those "being offended on behalf of women", but what are your thoughts on those who are suggesting women should just put up with such actions?

Astute

No, I mean those on here.

You've raised issue with those "being offended on behalf of women", but what are your thoughts on those who are suggesting women should just put up with such actions?
Can you see from up there on your high horse how many are saying that women should put up with such actions?

Users who are viewing this thread