Women's World Cup 2023 (2 Viewers)

OffenhamSkyBlue

Noticed there is no thread on this event, which starts tomorrow. I'm a bit surprised given how supportive some of you are about it, so i thought i'd put it here to prompt discussion.
The lack of (even jingoistic) interest in the media is quite shocking given England's performance at the Euros last year and the drive to promote women's sport, so i just wondered if anyone will be following it in the run-up to our promotion-winning season.

For me, I might watch the semi and final if England are in it, but i suspect the general standard will be frustratingly low other than a small handful of countries (England, USA, Oz, etc) so i'll give most of it a miss.

Otis

Yup, recording the whole thing and then I can pick and choose which games to see.

Not sure England will do so well this time. Williamson and Mead are a big loss. Williamson I think is in the top 3 players in the world right now.

Aren't most of the games around 11am ish?

Skyblueweeman

@Otis is right, Williamson and Mead are big losses. Hopefully Millie Bright stays fit as she's not been too chipper that past few months and is a rock at the back.

I think England will find it harder this time round due to injuries but it'll be great to see how Lauren James does as well as Rachel Daly who had an outstanding season for Villa Women.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I'll be watching the England games and the highlights each night. Will probably watch some of the other games if I'm up as well.

Don't expect us to win it, but hopefully we'll go far.

David O'Day

@Otis is right, Williamson and Mead are big losses. Hopefully Millie Bright stays fit as she's not been too chipper that past few months and is a rock at the back.

I think England will find it harder this time round due to injuries but it'll be great to see how Lauren James does as well as Rachel Daly who had an outstanding season for Villa Women.
England will find it harder as there are more better teams.

We were lucky in places in the euros, on another day we could of easily been knocked out by Spain or beaten by Germany in the final.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Obviously I want England to do well, but I have some mixed feelings about the women's game right now. I've attended live matches before and got quite into watching it for the euros but the way the media handle it at the moment for me is just a massive turn off.

Constantly over-hyping it, ramming their social media with it. Then you have the sneaky articles on places like the BBC which are deliberately designed to make you click on them without knowing it's regarding a women's news post. Even the transfer section has women's transfer news above the football league, which is just ridiculous.

I would like to see the game develop but this tournament aside it's overkill. It has its platform now so let it grow organically.

I am aware this probably won't be a popular opinion!

SkyBlueSoul

Obviously I want England to do well, but I have some mixed feelings about the women's game right now. I've attended live matches before and got quite into watching it for the euros but the way the media handle it at the moment for me is just a massive turn off.

Constantly over-hyping it, ramming their social media with it. Then you have the sneaky articles on places like the BBC which are deliberately designed to make you click on them without knowing it's regarding a women's news post. Even the transfer section has women's transfer news above the football league, which is just ridiculous.

I would like to see the game develop but this tournament aside it's overkill. It has its platform now so let it grow organically.

I agree tbh. I had no problem with it piggybacking the men's game for a few years while it was gaining more traction but awareness is at an all time high, as is the quality, and I think it has enough about it to be 'standalone' now. It's come full circle where previously it felt like it was given it's own section to shunt it into a corner, but now it can have it's own section because it's big enough and people will actively seek it out.

Otis

I agree tbh. I had no problem with it piggybacking the men's game for a few years while it was gaining more traction but awareness is at an all time high, as is the quality, and I think it has enough about it to be 'standalone' now. It's come full circle where previously it felt like it was given it's own section to shunt it into a corner, but now it can have it's own section because it's big enough and people will actively seek it out.
Definitely needs to stand on its own two feet.

Otis

Anyone else watching the NZ v Norway game?

Clear handball in the penalty area, went to VAR and VAR put it back to the ref to look. Why? 🤷

Arm was away from the body, clearly hit the extended arm and the defender was in the box.

Even if they weren't at first sure it was in the box, VAR can ascertain that. They have all the angles. Why send it back to ref?

nicksar

Not unpopular with me Womens football is of a very poor standard

OffenhamSkyBlue

Anyone else watching the NZ v Norway game?

Clear handball in the penalty area, went to VAR and VAR put it back to the ref to look. Why? 🤷

Arm was away from the body, clearly hit the extended arm and the defender was in the box.

Even if they weren't at first sure it was in the box, VAR can ascertain that. They have all the angles. Why send it back to ref?
Good goal by NZ though.

OffenhamSkyBlue

Not unpopular with me Womens football is of a very poor standard
I'm afraid to say i'm with you on that, which is why i'll restrict my viewing pleasure to England as they are one of the best teams.
The suggestion that they should have pay equality with the men's game is pure nonsense, in my view. When the revenue streams are the same, then fine.
But they should look to the women's game as being a better model of financial sustainability (e.g. £20 a ticket rather than £150, as it was for the respective Euro finals).

Last edited:

ccfc922

Got to love "we deserve more money" and the games are being played during the night or when most people are at work. I get how timezones work, but fuck me, 2am and 6am games?

That's before the revenue incomes come into question too.

Hopefully some easy money to be made betting on the games though 🤌

ccfc922

Plus that commentator that over hypes every game she commentates on, seems to be on every format.

ccfc922

But..but...but... the Men overreact when tackled and the women just get straight back up....

SBT

Got to love "we deserve more money" and the games are being played during the night or when most people are at work. I get how timezones work, but fuck me, 2am and 6am games?
I’m not sure the equal pay debate has anything to do with the tournament being played in Australia and NZ.

RegTheDonk

I’m not sure the equal pay debate has anything to do with the tournament being played in Australia and NZ.
Once they get the gates and ticket money, viewing figures, TV income and associated sponsorship to match the mens game world wide, then they'll have a case.

OffenhamSkyBlue

If anything, it will have fuelled the debate due to them embracing the tournament with the attendances. Admittedly, there's a bit of a dichotomy between matches involving the host nations (42000 (capacity) to watch NZ and 75000 (capacity) for Oz) versus "the rest" (only 22000 watched Spain, for example), but it's more impressive than Chelsea Women playing their "Super League" games at Chelsea's training ground in front of a few hundred and claiming it to be a sustainable and popular sport, demanding equal funding as the Premier League!

OffenhamSkyBlue

The sport is somewhat different in the US
Yeah, it's very much seen as a girls' sport from an early age, so by the time they get to adulthood, they aren't half bad, and people do pay to watch it. If anything, it's been the *men's* game that is fake and manufactured over there.
Same as in Australia - comes a distant fifth in popularity behind Rugby Union, Rugby League, Aussie Rules and Cricket.

SBT

There's more people globally watching the USA ladies than men's football?
Their argument was that the women’s team generated more revenue than the men

chiefdave

There was a bizarre story on the radio yesterday where they were complaining the England Women's goalkeeper kit isn't available to buy from the official England store. At the end of the piece they threw in that the Mens isn't either :ROFLMAO:

Users who are viewing this thread