Women's World Cup 2023 (1 Viewer)

Blind-Faith

I have to say some of the games at the World Cup have been pretty good and the standard of football has been better than I expected .

That's because the standard of women's domestic football in England is generally crap and the goalkeepers , particularly, are woeful. Wouldn't watch them if I were given a free ticket.
I’m sure with all the hype around now, stadiums will be sold out every week so they won’t be able to give tickets away.

1st of October the season starts so I’m sure a few on here have got their season tickets sorted

Grendel

The games obviously different

Clearly goalkeepers will struggle more they don’t have the reach of male keepers

It’s a competition on its own merits though and don’t see what the issue is

I wasn’t they invested but wanting them to lose is a bit odd

Grendel

I think the difference is that women's tennis doesn't try and merge into men's in the same way.

It doesn’t in that it’s records and stats are individual but actually it’s totally merged at grand slam level in terms of scheduling and prize money

ccfc922

The games obviously different

Clearly goalkeepers will struggle more they don’t have the reach of male keepers

It’s a competition on its own merits though and don’t see what the issue is

I wasn’t they invested but wanting them to lose is a bit odd

The own merits point, there's people going about saying they've achieved more/greater things than the Men's team.

You've effectively got 3 or 4 teams who are decent playing against semi pro teams. In the men's WC you've got about 10 teams minimum that could be in contention to realistically win. It's a more competitive competition.

I wanted England women to win it, as I do with any sport England compete in, but the overhyping by the media would have been nauseating. Talking about Sarina taking over the mens national team etc.

Just wish they'd take the women's game on its own merits and achievements, that's my gripe with it all.

Otis

I have to say some of the games at the World Cup have been pretty good and the standard of football has been better than I expected .

That's because the standard of women's domestic football in England is generally crap and the goalkeepers , particularly, are woeful. Wouldn't watch them if I were given a free ticket.
Mary Earps is a great keeper. The Aussie one was very good too.

Grendel

One thing I would say though the best female achievement today seems a bit submerged by the World Cup coverage

Brighton Sky Blue

I do think some people have it in for women's football

I understand the annoyance of all the overhype and media frenzy etc, but be annoyed with the media and the papers. Don't be annoyed with women's football. It's not their fault everyone else is bigging it up.

I am moving to Folkestone soon and if they have a women's team, I will gladly go along and have a look.

I think it's great young girls at school are now getting the same chance the boys have always had.
My main issue with it is that the clubs that had taken women’s football seriously in the first place, eg Doncaster, Notts Co, Lincoln etc were ditched the moment the FA decided to give a monkey’s and their spots handed to the ‘big’ men’s clubs. And so all we have now is the same teams as the men but with vaginas.

They could have shown it was something different. Instead Man Utd had to be press ganged into accepting the place made for them by booting someone out.

OffenhamSkyBlue

I didn't watch the match as i was away, but i'm not surprised that we lost having seen previous Spain and England games at this WWC. Spain looked absolutely woeful against Sweden because the Swedes adopted the high-press. Spain only prevailed in the last 15 minutes when Sweden tired and they were able to play the ticky-tacky possession football more. It sounds as though England didn't/couldn't change their tactics to challenge the Spanish style and technical ability. England, on the other hand, only looked really good in previous games when they played hoofball, with the likes of Russo and Hemp running onto the long through-ball.

The media hype pisses me off, particularly the 1966 comparisons. I don't watch women's football generally because i find the standard frustratingly low and i don't enjoy it. But i don't blame the players for the hype - i just turn off the radio, scroll to the actual news, etc.

I think Earps won the Golden Glove practically by default as she didn't have any notable howlers! As mentioned elsewhere, they need to work on developing goalkeeping standards in the women's game. As for GK shirts, i agree it is too much of a limited market to warrant making them.
The pen was soft, but Earps was off her line and VAR has intervened earlier in the tournament to get a retake.

Roll on the Rugby World Cup!

Otis

I didn't watch the match as i was away, but i'm not surprised that we lost having seen previous Spain and England games at this WWC. Spain looked absolutely woeful against Sweden because the Swedes adopted the high-press. Spain only prevailed in the last 15 minutes when Sweden tired and they were able to play the ticky-tacky possession football more. It sounds as though England didn't/couldn't change their tactics to challenge the Spanish style and technical ability. England, on the other hand, only looked really good in previous games when they played hoofball, with the likes of Russo and Hemp running onto the long through-ball.

The media hype pisses me off, particularly the 1966 comparisons. I don't watch women's football generally because i find the standard frustratingly low and i don't enjoy it. But i don't blame the players for the hype - i just turn off the radio, scroll to the actual news, etc.

I think Earps won the Golden Glove practically by default as she didn't have any notable howlers! As mentioned elsewhere, they need to work on developing goalkeeping standards in the women's game. As for GK shirts, i agree it is too much of a limited market to warrant making them.
The pen was soft, but Earps was off her line and VAR has intervened earlier in the tournament to get a retake.

Roll on the Rugby World Cup!
I am guess you are not English then. 🤪 I'm dreading it.

OffenhamSkyBlue

I am guess you are not English then. 🤪 I'm dreading it.
Well i am, but my Mum was Welsh, so growing up in the 70s when Wales were the predominant force in rugby meant ours was a Wales household, which i have hung on to, strangely. As a consequence, i have no urge to see England prosper, particularly as they have played a dull version of the game for 20 years or more.
But i just enjoy watching cracking rugby and don't actually care who wins. I have South Africa in the draw at work - i might be in with a shout! But we need another thread on that, i think.

Otis

Well i am, but my Mum was Welsh, so growing up in the 70s when Wales were the predominant force in rugby meant ours was a Wales household, which i have hung on to, strangely. As a consequence, i have no urge to see England prosper, particularly as they have played a dull version of the game for 20 years or more.
But i just enjoy watching cracking rugby and don't actually care who wins. I have South Africa in the draw at work - i might be in with a shout! But we need another thread on that, i think.
They hammered Wales at the weekend didn't they?

OffenhamSkyBlue

I was in Wales on Saturday, but didn't see the match - probably for the best, tbh. Didn't hear much cheering from the pubs - other than the end of the Ireland-England game!

OffenhamSkyBlue

Apparently it was her family's idea. I think that is shocking. I don't think i would ever forgive my family for withholding that from me for two days? I'm sure she is ballsy enough to have focussed on the game and play harder for her dad. If they knew he was close the end (a long illness, it said), she should have been given the chance to fly home to be with him at the end.

Brighton Sky Blue

... in your opinion. Which you are entitled to.
Judging by the relatively low popularity of the game in this country I am not alone and the swathe of comments from Wasps fans during their time here didn’t really endear me to the sport either.

Heck, we have two rugby codes because of elitism in the late 1800s towards professionals. But for that England really could be a powerhouse at the game and it might have become far more popular.

andrew.roberts

Apparently it was her family's idea. I think that is shocking. I don't think i would ever forgive my family for withholding that from me for two days? I'm sure she is ballsy enough to have focussed on the game and play harder for her dad. If they knew he was close the end (a long illness, it said), she should have been given the chance to fly home to be with him at the end.
Families are extremely tightly knitted here in Spain and relationships between fathers and daughters particularly so and on that basis I think that most would have made the same decision in delaying the awful news. Not saying it's either right or wrong, simply the way it is.

Enviado desde mi moto g(9) plus mediante Tapatalk

Reactions: vow

OffenhamSkyBlue

Families are extremely tightly knitted here in Spain and relationships between fathers and daughters particularly so and on that basis I think that most would have made the same decision in delaying the awful news. Not saying it's either right or wrong, simply the way it is.

Thanks for the insight. It's what it makes it more surprising that she wasn't told he was near the end and she could say "bollocks to the football - it's only a game. I'm flying home".

andrew.roberts

It's a bit morbid talking about these things but I just read that it was a sudden death and not anticipated which brings a little more weight to the family's decision.

Grendel

P
Brilliant achievement but very poor coverage

Totally unrelated to the subject but sort of to KJT does Denise Lewis have some elixir of youth? she’s 50 and looks better than ever

andrew.roberts

You may well be right Clint. There are some conflicting reports here in Spain some saying it was "una muerte repentina" which means sudden death and others stating that he had been diagnosed with cancer twelve months ago.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Could be he had cancer but his death was sudden and unrelated. Or just that his condition worsened very, very quickly.

1ccfc

I understand the players were probably tired after a long flight, with the disappointment of losing the final. Still, I think it’s a little poor to dodge the waiting fans at the airport.

ccfc922

OffenhamSkyBlue

I think Prince William has a bigger question to answer. As patron of the FA, he should have had the final date in his diary a couple of years ago, and it is poor to say his diary didn't allow him to attend. There is NO WAY he would have missed a men's final!

Users who are viewing this thread