worst manager... (1 Viewer)

Colin1883

Ive seen a lot of people bemoan A/T...
But I can think of atleast two who were as bad if not worse...

Terry Butcher

Peter Reid

Who do you think was our worst manager?

sky_blue_up_north

Reid, easy

scroobiustom

Robins for the treachery!

jimmyhillsfanclub

Butcher, Neal, Boothroyd, Thorn, Coleman, Reid, McAllister, Adams, Aktinson, Strachan......Take your pick....:facepalm:

ajsccfc

Pressley. He's had long enough and he says that players were good when they weren't. Time to go, once I think of a top-notch derogatory pun on his name as is the way here.

withers

Andy Thorn - for being most out of his depth closely followed by Peter Reid
Terry Butcher - we like lots of other clubs were undone by the 'greater leaders on the pitch will make great managers' argument - but his record wasn't that bad

LastGarrison

Strachan.

How he managed to go through a whole season without winning away, his failure to hold on to key players (admittedly not just his fault) and to get relegated with the team and resources we had was shocking. I could then also mention his lack of substitutions at vital times and his insistence of playing players out of position. His cringeworthy press interviews didn't help either.

Dimi_Konstantflapalot

Strachan.

How he managed to go through a whole season without winning away, his failure to hold on to key players (admittedly not just his fault) and to get relegated with the team and resources we had was shocking. I could then also mention his lack of substitutions at vital times and his insistence of playing players out of position. His cringeworthy press interviews didn't help either.

A home game under Strachan springs to mind where Magnus Hedman was clearly injured (Paul Williams had to take the goal kicks), yet Strachan didn't take him off. Can't remember who against?

Moff

A home game under Strachan springs to mind where Magnus Hedman was clearly injured (Paul Williams had to take the goal kicks), yet Strachan didn't take him off. Can't remember who against?

It was Middlesbrough...I think we lost 2-1 at home.

He wouldnt bring Kirkland on from the bench. It was so bad Dean Gordon who later joined us and left a season later scored one of the Boro goals.

LarryGrayson

don howe ,

Mucca Mad Boys

Andy Thorn is the worst but is closely followed by Peter Reid, I will never forget his proclamation 'I will get Coventry to the Premier League' then left us in 21st. I do not hate any manager more than I hate Reid.

SkyBlueRuffian

Peter Reid just looked like he couldn't be arsed anymore, at least the others tried. You cannot count temporary managers IMO, so the worst long term manager we've had the pleasure of has to be Reid.

wolfie

Any manager in the last 13 years. No promotion, no play off positions or in robins case dissertion.....

torchomatic

Butcher, Neal, Strachan for me.

JimmyHillsbeard

Butcher, Don Mackay, Mcallister, Bothroyd, Dn Howe, Thorn, Reid and lest we forget, Booby Gould.

All made Phil Neal look like Rinus Michels

play_in_skyblue_stripes

Gosh what a choice!

So many have good cases. Easier to list the ones first that do NOT mention merit. I will limit this to 87 onwards.
OK Sillet ,Adams, Black, Dowie, Gould, Atkinson, Nilsson and Bothroyd do NOT warrant inclusion. These had their good and bad moments but decent guys

Strachan - total arrogance on all sorts of levels and a major fator in our sad demise. Yes I remember the stupidity of him against Middleboro that almost cost us relegation in I think 96/97. Also screwed Coventry City financially , not a nice man at all - Looks favourite to win this as I type because I hate him

Butcher - Not equpped with the interlect and sold Cryille Regis to make a point on that he was in charge. One of the worst. - Forgiven as no long term impact on club status

Howe - total lack of understanding of Sky Blue supporters - Forgiven as no long term impact on club status

McAllister - Not up to it and that is proven with attempts after he left. Was in a difficult situation club wise and personally but made mistakes. - Forgiven

Reid - Made a mess of it but had the honour and integrity and left on his own accord without claiming compensation - Forgiven

Coleman - should have done a lot better with resources and also treated Marcus Hall very badly. I suspect he does not concentrate enough on the job - contender as his disppointing efforts have led to where we are now

Thorn - Clearly a liability - unlikely to get another job in the professional game as manager. Nice enough guy and had difficult circumstances but out of his depth - very strong contender

Robins - Best manager for a long time but screwed us. May had had good reasons but to me he was out of order - not a contender because he was a good manager albeit questionable motives

For me reading back my post it has to be Strachan and Thorn.

Just remembered Phil Neal, no problems with him and maybe there are some others.

Last edited:

Joy Division

Gary McAllister easily. Great player for us but that season he managed us was awful, think we also went through a record number of players used in a season? Never a good sign.

WestEndAgro

Strachan, the little fucker took us down, end of the glory days, numerous mentioned were dire, but didn't take us down, little twat.

dekker

strachan.

for many reasons but his failure to sign mcallister up for another year is what fucked us more than anything else.

play_in_skyblue_stripes

Don Howe was in charge only for a shortish period thankfully.

How can Villa Park in 92 be worse than Villa Park 2001? I didnt go to the latter just too upset and coul dnot face that.

Howe's performance is NOT entirely his fault although what a boring man. Strachan brought upon relegation by himself and bad choices and ego.

Joy Division

Aside from the criticism Strachan is getting, he also did really well for us. That 1997/1998 season was the best season in my lifetime and most memorable. Decent league finish and FA cup quarter final, we had a great team that year and who can forget the victories over Villa, Man United and Liverpool.

For me its gotta be Iain Dowie or Peter Reid. We didnt do anything while they were here but fuck up and barely avoid relegation. Reid ended any hopes of getting back to the PL. Dowie was on top wages amd was shite. I know peeps will say Andy Thorn was the worst, but i dont think he was. He tried his best and made 2 great loan signings while he was here. Dowie and Reid had the funds to do well at City, Thorn didnt. He signed 1 player and 2 on loan. No-one can succeed with owners like SISU

play_in_skyblue_stripes

I do not want to propose violence but for a bit of fun to decide who is the worst what about this acid test .

Providing no-one got badly hurt or a police charge resulted, who would you gladly punch in the face if you had the choice?

On that criteria alone it has to be Strachan, no-one else comes close in my book.

procdoc

Peter Reid, Terry Butcher, Chris Coleman, Andy Thorn, Richard Shaw (I know he's just a caretaker manager but he was awful in those games in charge)

Users who are viewing this thread