worst manager... (1 Viewer)

JimmyHillsbeard

For me its gotta be Iain Dowie or Peter Reid. We didnt do anything while they were here but feck up and barely avoid relegation. Reid ended any hopes of getting back to the PL. Dowie was on top wages amd was shite. I know peeps will say Andy Thorn was the worst, but i dont think he was. He tried his best and made 2 great loan signings while he was here. Dowie and Reid had the funds to do well at City, Thorn didnt. He signed 1 player and 2 on loan. No-one can succeed with owners like SISU

Dowie had some terrible signings but you must be on something if you think his teams did nothing. Cup Wins at OldTrafford, Ewood Park, league wins at the Hawthorns and The Brittannia Stadium in the same season he was sacked. No other manager has got us so close to such highs since relegation

And the 2 great loan signings Thorn made? Remind me? Surely you're not talking about Nimely? dowie wasnt great in the transfer market but every Ellery Cairo you can point me to, ill raise you with a Kevin Kilbane and a Kevin Malaga?

RME

I can only base it on the ultimate outcomes. For our only two relegations of my lifetime, it has to be Strachan and Thorn. OK, some good times under Strachan (spending money the club didn't have,) some good stuff to begin with under Thorn (not spending money at all) and terrible times under numerous others in the "Championship years." But we should not tolerate relegation.

fernandopartridge

For me its gotta be Iain Dowie or Peter Reid. We didnt do anything while they were here but fuck up and barely avoid relegation. Reid ended any hopes of getting back to the PL. Dowie was on top wages amd was shite. I know peeps will say Andy Thorn was the worst, but i dont think he was. He tried his best and made 2 great loan signings while he was here. Dowie and Reid had the funds to do well at City, Thorn didnt. He signed 1 player and 2 on loan. No-one can succeed with owners like SISU

Dowie was nowhere near as bad all of the managers that have followed him, bar Robins. The jury is still very much out on Pressley.

fernandopartridge

Dowie had some terrible signings but you must be on something if you think his teams did nothing. Cup Wins at OldTrafford, Ewood Park, league wins at the Hawthorns and The Brittannia Stadium in the same season he was sacked. No other manager has got us so close to such highs since relegation

And the 2 great loan signings Thorn made? Remind me? Surely you're not talking about Nimely? dowie wasnt great in the transfer market but every Ellery Cairo you can point me to, ill raise you with a Kevin Kilbane and a Kevin Malaga?

Dowie also signed Leon Best on a free, and, according to Tim Flowers on 5 Live once, did the groundwork for Fox and Dann.

SkyBlueCharlie

In modern times it has to be the Thorn/Shaw debacle but that is being unfair on both of them. Thorn because he was never a manager in the first place, he was a scout for heaven's sake and had never been if any managerial/coaching role. I can't say that I blame him too much for having a go but he should never have been put in that position. It was much the same for Shaw in that he was clearly not ready or prepared to take over from Thorn. Thorn had been given the first three games and the results were not too bad so his sacking must have come as bit if a shock and the Shaw/Carsley combination was just too inexperienced to cope with the circumstances.

Prior to that it has to be a close tie between Strachan and Reid, both totally incompetent.

SkyBlueHomer

Butcher, Howe, Reid in that order.

whilst Strachan did get us relegated and deserves a mention think there was much more going on behind the scenes that also lead to our demise not just poor management

covboy1987

worst manager

Win ratio stats
bottom 3 managers
(1) Andy thorn 18.37% wins
(2) Ron Atkinson 25.68 % wins
(3)Gary Mcallister 27.63% wins

Top 6 managers - Mark Robins 51.52%- George Curtis 50% - eric black 45.45%-
Jimmy Hill 44.33% -Roland neilson 44.19% - ian dowie 40.82%

motherfunky

Starchan worst manager by a mile if you look at the squad he had, and let us go down without a fight.... Closely followed by Coleman and as for Richard Shaw / Lee Carsley.... Lets not go there.

LarryGrayson

Grendel

Dowie also signed Leon Best on a free, and, according to Tim Flowers on 5 Live once, did the groundwork for Fox and Dann.

Bests fee was set by a tribunal and was believed to be £650,000.

It was the non payment of this by Mr Coventry and his happy clappy gang that led to a transfer embargo.

Grendel

how did reid have funds we sold davenport an the bank took the money we wanted to use to sing a replacement

This is true. Listened to an interview with him and he said the one player he did not want to lose was Davenport - McGinnity said Ok and then sold him a week later.

Joy Division

Starchan worst manager by a mile if you look at the squad he had, and let us go down without a fight.... Closely followed by Coleman and as for Richard Shaw / Lee Carsley.... Lets not go there.

The squad we went down with was pretty poor to be honest

JimmyHillsbeard

The squad we went down with was pretty poor to be honest

Yep only 4 of them (Hedman, Antonelius, Breen and Carsley) went to the world cup the following year plus David Thompson, Plus Youseff Chippo, Plus Moustapha Hadji, Plus Craig Bellamy, Plus John Hartson. It's a wonder we weren't down by Christmas.

Strachan had one astounding season (1997-8) when McAllister's injury meant the team found a balance and work ethic that meant we should have won the FACup and went on an unbeaten run of 20 games!. Take out that year and recognise that he got us relegated TWICE (we were saved the first time by Middlesbro's points deduction).

He hints in his book that other clubs were interested in him in the summer of 1998 (probably Everton) and that he should have left us them.

Westchester76

I think the fact that we've only had one manager poached from us in the last 30 odd years - speaks volumes of how many bad managers we've had in the past.
But in 25 years of following the Sky Blues, these are the worst 2 in my opinion.

Terry Butcher : I remember having my first season ticket in 1991/1992. Apart from an encouraging start (good home wins against Luton, Sheff Utd & a flukey win at Arsenal) it all
went downhill quickly. We couldn't create chances or score goals, despite having some great players - Stewart Robson, Kevin Gallagcher, Paul Furlong, Peter Ndlouv etc. Butcher seemed
incapable of inspiring his players, and his swift dismantling of the Cup Final team was a bad move. Peake, Kilcline and Regis all went on to play at a good standard for another couple
of years. He left and we became even worse with Don Howe - Who thought he could keep us up with draws. Remember the four 0-0 Draws in a row? Awful. So lucky to stay
up that year.

Chis Coleman
Had the biggest budget and best squad of any City manager since relegation, and failed to do anything. He kept us up, and then we had 2 lower mid table finishes. Spent silly money
on Richard Wood when we desperately needed an attacking midfieder. His pre and post match interviews were absolute drivel, he clearly lost heart after the money dried up, and he knew
he couldn't get this team anywhere near the playoffs. Like Butcher before him, we went for a name, rather than someone for the lower divisions who could actually manage.

I have to dispute some of the names on this list. Gordon Strachan - I think he did a good job - yes he probably should of gone during our relegation season, but he constantly had his
best players sold from under him (Dublin, McCallister, Keane, Whelan, Huckerby, Boateng) and had to rebuild his team nearly every season. During the relegation season, Hartson's
move was delayed to us. Had we got him before Xmas, we would of stayed up. I often wonder what our season would of been like the following year, had we survived. We know
Bellamy turned into a very good player for Newcastle - He probably would of stayed had we stayed up. Strachan made mistakes, but I remember fondly the 97/98 season, Quarter finals
of the Cup - Dublin England cap, and leading goalscorer, beating Man U at home, winning at Anfield in the Cup, the unbeaten run. Also 1999/2000 was great - Macca, Keane, Hadji, Chippo.

Phil Neal was dealt a bad hand - No money at all but was shrewd enough to bring Dublin in (with Babb's money). Really top honest guy.
And finally Peter Reid - Well not the worst in my opinion. Possibly had the worst transfer budget of all the City Managers - Davenport sold from under him
2 games into a new season. Don't get me wrong, he was awful, but looking at the resources, I think Coleman was worse, and by the way he destroyed the whole
club spirit Butcher was the very worst

rupert_bear

Don McKay and Don Howe by miles, followed closely by Terry Butcher. His problem was he is the most arrogant self centred bloke i ever met, which obviously came across in the dressing room.

Last edited:

Mucca Mad Boys

This is true. Listened to an interview with him and he said the one player he did not want to lose was Davenport - McGinnity said Ok and then sold him a week later.

SISU-esque? Or are SISU CCFC-esque in regards to transfers?

covhead1

Nearly every manager we've had for the last 12 years could of been on the cast list for the muppet show.

but the one that i hate the most is REID!

Delboycov

Andy Thorn...although as he most definitely wasn't a 'manager' not sure he really counts. Bobby Gould deserves a mention and there's no doubt in my mind if he hadn't been sacked in his 1st spell and resigned on the bog at QPR 2nd time around he would've beaten Strachan to become the 1st in charge to relegate us. Can't include Strachan as despite his arrogance and stubborness he gave me the most exciting period, bar 87 and the Wallace and Fergie era in my many years of supporting the club.

Mr pot

Peter Reid was Thailand manager when I worked in se Asia. Met him a few times in Bangkok at some socials. Right piss head.

I never told him what I thought of his spell at coventry.

Nick

Administrator
Peter Reid was Thailand manager when I worked in se Asia. Met him a few times in Bangkok at some socials. Right piss head.

I never told him what I thought of his spell at coventry.

You mean you went halves on a ladyboy? Fair play!

Users who are viewing this thread