XL Bullies (1 Viewer)

Nick

Administrator
Is every dog that's bigger than 5 stone now an XL Bullie?

About time owners were tested before they were allowed to have a dog.

clint van damme

Is every dog that's bigger than 5 stone now an XL Bullie?

About time owners were tested before they were allowed to have a dog.

I'm not going to say too much more about it but I know that one of the people behind the 'blame the owners not the breed' banner has been savaged by one of his own dogs!

Nick

Administrator
I don't know too much about them but I've seen videos of a protest where this bloke is being ragged all over by his dog.

I do think a lot of it is down to owner still though.

Are they a fashion accessory or something?

PVA

Of course a lot of it is down to the owner, but there's plenty of dogs with dodgy owners that don't rip people to shreds. These dogs need to be banned, they're far too dangerous.

And yeah for some people it's definitely an accessory to look hard.

PVA

Agree with PVA. These dogs are bred to behave in a certain way and as such are a ticking timebomb, it's very sad really as it's not the poor dog's fault. In reality even aside from this we need more stringent dog ownership laws in this country.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

We agree on something 😅

And yes it is sad, not the dogs fault as you say.

Grendel

Agree with PVA. These dogs are bred to behave in a certain way and as such are a ticking timebomb, it's very sad really as it's not the poor dog's fault. In reality even aside from this we need more stringent dog ownership laws in this country.

In reality I’m not sure how you can ban them. It’s a cross breed and the breed can be slightly altered if needed to.

I don’t actually know what the solution is

clint van damme

In reality I’m not sure how you can ban them. It’s a cross breed and the breed can be slightly altered if needed to.

I think there's only a few breeds that are banned and you don't see many of them around.

I've only ever seen one dogo Argentino for example, so I think k it works but some other 4 legged killing machine will more than likely come along to take its place.

Otis

I think there's only a few breeds that are banned and you don't see many of them around.

I've only ever seen one dogo Argentino for example, so I think k it works but some other 4 legged killing machine will more than likely come along to take its place.
IMG_20230930_094712.jpg

shmmeee

I mean they are, but in the Bully’s case it was bred to be docile and family friendly while looking like it’s on steroids.

shmmeee

Whatever the breed backyard breeders and bad owners need cracking down on. Not sure how you police it though. Like growing weed it’s always going to be possible to do with little to no knowledge away from the eyes of officialdom.

Grendel

I mean they are, but in the Bully’s case it was bred to be docile and family friendly while looking like it’s on steroids.

They were bred for fighting and the cross breeds used was for power

Grendel

Grendel

Grendel

I was actually out with my dog near where I live in a field with my dog on a lead.

He doesn’t like other dogs so I keep him on a tight lead. I heard this shouting and then saw 4 of these animals charging at us. The man and woman owning them had 3 others on a lead these weren’t. They surrounded him. Admittedly they weren’t aggressive but my dog started growling and looking scared

The charming chap told me these dogs aren’t aggressive and my dog is. I pointed out to him if you had 4 people charge towards you what would you do?

I said your not supposed to have any dogs off leads there’s a sign and I’m going to report you. He said he’d smash my face in and his dogs would “defend me” - the girl with him did look pretty ashamed

Why have 7 of these dogs at all? I must admit I thought if only one starts they will and we would both be dead

chiefdave

It's totally unworkable. All that will happen is responsible breeders will continue to be responsible and responsible owners will continue to be responsible

Does anyone really think the backyard breeders and the people who buy from them will suddenly stop?

Who is going to enforce this? Look at the trouble doing anything about breeds already on the list. Where dogs are seized its not unusual for cases to end up in court with two experts arguing over the breed definition and whether that particular dog meets it, at present there's no breed definition at all for XL bullies so on what grounds are they going to enforce it?

On top of that its already been admitted that nothing can be done about existing dogs

And even if they do somehow manage to enforce this as has always happened in the past it will just move on to another breed

The solution is to clamp down on backyard breeders and poor owners and post like this one show exactly why it is needed.

The charming chap told me these dogs aren’t aggressive and my dog is. I pointed out to him if you had 4 people charge towards you what would you do?

I said your not supposed to have any dogs off leads there’s a sign and I’m going to report you. He said he’d smash my face in and his dogs would “defend me” - the girl with him did look pretty ashamed

Also seen it suggested that dogs should be brought into schools to teach children how to behave around them. Not the worst idea. When I had my dog the number of people, often kids, who thinks its ok to just come up and start stroking the dog was crazy, and if my dog had reacted it would have been me that got the blame.

shmmeee

They were bred in the US as fighting dogs

This is a better article. They are bred from breeds to have greater muscle and crucially jaws so they can attack and then you can’t remove it from its prey

Both are paywalls so can’t read. But most of this “research” comes from someone who trawls Facebook groups and believes everything they read. There’s very little confirmed data on specific breeds involved in attacks. And claiming to be able to trace genealogy through marketing posters is frankly ludicrous.

Read any history of the breed not from an alarmist source from the last few months and you’ll consistently see it referred to as bred to be a companion dog.

Grendel

Both are paywalls so can’t read. But most of this “research” comes from someone who trawls Facebook groups and believes everything they read. There’s very little confirmed data on specific breeds involved in attacks. And claiming to be able to trace genealogy through marketing posters is frankly ludicrous.

Read any history of the breed not from an alarmist source from the last few months and you’ll consistently see it referred to as bred to be a companion dog.

It’s not a registered breed - it isn’t a breed at all?

Grendel

I have read the articles which describe them as an amazing family dog

I’d suggest a hybrid originating from the American Pitbull - which was a dog bred originally to fight in war - isn’t the best choice

Also understand the breed does not exist here. What you’ve got is a hybrid variance of the Pit Bill crossed with Bulldogs or Bull Terriers. There is no consistency.

Any dog has an ability to attack but this dogs various hybrid variances is bred for muscle power and it’s facial structure is designed so it’s jaws can lock down and hold.

Any vet would tell you that but the crucial thing is there is no such breed in the UK. It’s a hybrid so when banning it you have to go through 50 or 60 kennel club tests to determine if it’s the breed - as there’s no breed registered it can’t be banned

Grendel

The American Bully?

The XL is not a registered breed in his country - so no it doesn’t exist as a pure breed it’s a hybrid

shmmeee

I have read the articles which describe them as an amazing family dog

I’d suggest a hybrid originating from the American Pitbull - which was a dog bred originally to fight in war - isn’t the best choice

Also understand the breed does not exist here. What you’ve got is a hybrid variance of the Pit Bill crossed with Bulldogs or Bull Terriers. There is no consistency.

Any dog has an ability to attack but this dogs various hybrid variances is bred for muscle power and it’s facial structure is designed so it’s jaws can lock down and hold.

Any vet would tell you that but the crucial thing is there is no such breed in the UK. It’s a hybrid so when banning it you have to go through 50 or 60 kennel club tests to determine if it’s the breed - as there’s no breed registered it can’t be banned

Well exactly and therefore no breed that can be blamed. My understanding of the background of the American Bully is it was intended to make the Pitbull more of an urban family dog but with the looks urban people want, without the aggression and need for constant exercise. I accept it’s not registered here but is in the states so there’s arguably a breed on some level. I don’t know the details on how it’s worked out I’ll be honest.

chiefdave

Isn’t the XL just a big Bully? Like the Mini is a small one.
Blue Cross wrote about this when the ban was first announced
Because American bully XLs are crossbreeds and Kennel Club breed standards do not exist, there are currently no exact specifications for this dog.
So before they do anything a breed definition has to be agreed upon and given the arguments between experts you see in court for dogs who do have a breed definition that may be easier said than done
The government has announced that it will work with experts to “define the ‘American XL bully’ breed type. This group will include police, canine and veterinary experts, and animal welfare stakeholders.”

chiefdave

By not breeding this dog, one assumes...
exactly, the responsible breeders won't breed the dog, and quite possibly don't now. But if you've ever dealt with a responsible breeder you would know it's not just a case of turning up with the cash and buying the dog. It will involve multiple visits and potentially the breeder visiting your own home to ensure your suitability.

phone a backyard breeder and its how soon can you be here with the cash. those breeders aren't going to stop when there's money to be made. if anything they will now be able to charge more

NorthernWisdom

exactly, the responsible breeders won't breed the dog, and quite possibly don't now. But if you've ever dealt with a responsible breeder you would know it's not just a case of turning up with the cash and buying the dog. It will involve multiple visits and potentially the breeder visiting your own home to ensure your suitability.

phone a backyard breeder and its how soon can you be here with the cash. those breeders aren't going to stop when there's money to be made. if anything they will now be able to charge more
The point being though, if there's legislation it's easier to penalise them isn't it.

If you're legally allowed to own the dog, it destroys everything in its path Godzilla style, then the owners just couldn't see it coming that their nine stone of pure muscle could massacre the entire area.

chiefdave

The point being though, if there's legislation it's easier to penalise them isn't it.

If you're legally allowed to own the dog, it destroys everything in its path Godzilla style, then the owners just couldn't see it coming that their nine stone of pure muscle could massacre the entire area.
But that's exactly the point all the experts in this area are making. It's not being made easier to penalise people and get dangerous dogs off the streets as breed specific legislation is an absolute clusterfuck that was rushed in. There were already laws in place to deal with dangerous dogs and they are still the laws more often used as the dangerous dogs act is pretty much useless.

It was rushed in after a series of pitbull attacks on children (sound familiar?) and by every measure has failed. Its done nothing to decrease the number of incidents, ownership of the banned breeds has increased and nobody, not even the experts, quite know how its supposed to be enforced given how badly its written. Just adding another breed to the list is going to do fuck all.

btw, it is entirely possible to own a dog that's on the banned breeds list. Breed specific legislation doesn't actually look at the breeding of the dog and the family tree its based on the characteristics of the dog. It's entirely possible that in one litter some puppies could be deemed acceptable and others be deemed dangerous. As a result you can get a certificate of exemption. In essence unless the authorities can prove you dog is a danger you are perfectly entitled to own any breed on the banned list.

Grendel

Much easier to enforce a dog licence and make every dog owner have to register all the dogs they own.

except those who can’t be bothered won’t get one

Users who are viewing this thread