Match Thread Yeovil Town - Coventry City Match Thread - Saturday 26th Aug (1 Viewer)

Otis

Need to mix things up. What I'd try is passing slowly at the back then sending it out wide and punting it to our short striker. Bound to work.
What I'd try is passing, saving and hitting the target.

letsallsingtogether

Tbh we wouldn't have scored if we were still playing need shooting practice or just a half decent striker.
Just like last season really.

Cov kid 55

I said the other day we're yet to hit goal scoring form and yet to find that killer touch, and got shot down. Now if today don't highlight this more than ever nothing will. Yeovil let in 14 prior to today and been awful at the back. Did we trouble them.

We've got off to a great start with JJ having a day to remember, at Grimsby McNulty got lucky with his goal and Grimmer did well to take his goal.

Since then nothing and in truth we lacked any build up play in the first half at Grimsby till we played and broke them down in the second half with McNultys awareness and luck shifting the pendulum.

It's still early days but it's a concern. MR needs his trusted mate Steve Taylor more than ever right now. Plenty to smooth over and put right.
You're right Steve, I was concerned at Grimsby, as despite having so much possession, we showed little creativity or cutting edge. We scored from a horrendous defensive error, and from a set piece. This lack of creativity has shown through in the last two games.

SkyblueBazza

The fact is - we aren't going to piss this league. We can do very well in it - but it will take a lot of determined hard grafting to get there.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

singers_pore

Based on today's performance I don't think some players know what hard graft is. McNulty and Kelly in particular seemed to lack hunger and fight. Grimmer also had some moments of lethargy.

Astute

Can only put it down to a lack of communication

Long ball forward, he should never have even started running out of his box. No need. Yes Stokes may have lost out to the Yeovil players pace but he would have still had a lot to do had there been a GK in goal!
It happened on a good angle for me. There was 4 of us who all saw something different. I'm still not sure that I know what happened.

Lord_Nampil

Watched the goals back, obrien comes for a ball he doesn't need to come for! a blatant hand ball , if you watch it back it's actually quite funny the guy was playing volley ball or so it looked, happens and Kelly isn't forceful enough to stop the player running and shooting two errors and we let two goals in.... so many efforts though that we don't take, at the moment being clinical is our downfall! Need to get the shooting boots on, K Thomas I think needs to come in!

Otis

Watched the goals back, obrien comes for a ball he doesn't need to come for! a blatant hand ball , if you watch it back it's actually quite funny the guy was playing volley ball or so it looked, happens and Kelly isn't forceful enough to stop the player running and shooting two errors and we let two goals in.... so many efforts though that we don't take, at the moment being clinical is our downfall! Need to get the shooting boots on, K Thomas I think needs to come in!
Kelly's challenge for that second goal is non existent. He just seems to track the player half-heartedly into the box.

Two very poor goals and O'Brien had no right into thinking he even had a chance of getting to that ball.

Lord_Nampil

Kelly's challenge for that second goal is non existent. He just seems to track the player half-heartedly into the box.

Two very poor goals and O'Brien had no right into thinking he even had a chance of getting to that ball.

Both goals go down the same side McDonald would have been playing if he had been fit.... they targeted our week spot and won! Even if Willis and Hyam had good games the leadership was missing!! Kelly should have done a lot better though McDonald would have covers him better!!

Thing that annoys me McNulty has 5 shots, 1 on target.... for me he needs to be dropped just to get his mind right!!

Otis

Both goals go down the same side McDonald would have been playing if he had been fit.... they targeted our week spot and won! Even if Willis and Hyam had good games the leadership was missing!! Kelly should have done a lot better though McDonald would have covers him better!!

Thing that annoys me McNulty has 5 shots, 1 on target.... for me he needs to be dropped just to get his mind right!!

He has disappointed me greatly. So many of his shots are wayward and at times he seems most reluctant to shoot at all.

Generally Midfield

Tbh we wouldn't have scored if we were still playing need shooting practice or just a half decent striker.
Just like last season really.

Agree. It's the first game I've made it to this season but it did feel pretty much like the same kind of performance as a lot of last season except of course we're a division lower and the overall standard was even worse. I missed the opening two wins so hope this is a blip but as a one off game we looked piss poor.

stevefloyd

Left it until today because I was soooo pissed off yesterday, remember we are a league 2 team, we have players who through one reason or another are not good enough to play a higher standard of football, Robins has shipped out all the old dregs and brought in virtually a totally new team, we were all happy with the signings only doubts being raised were for Biamou but even he was excused because it is a leap up from non league for him, something has to change up front because Kwame Thomas, Biamou, Mcnulty or Beavon don't look like they will be our saviours/heroes, Ponticelli is still learning his game so way too unfair to heap pressure on his young shoulders, that leaves Naz who definitely looked more of a danger in the Blackburn game playing up front and disappeared when he was was pushed out wide apart from a couple of runs where he either ran out of space or there was nobody to pass to, our only creative outlet seems to be Jones and maybe Andreu so when teams play against us its not too difficult to snuff out their threats or rather lack of them. Luton started the season on a flyer but they are only 1 point above us now, it all seems doom and gloom at present as it always does after a loss but lets start judging them after around 15 games when they have had chance to understand each others games and of course Robins would be more clued up to what they can cannot do

Irish Sky Blue

From his comments about budget yesterday it would seem that this is the squad for the season, no money to bring anyone else in. It is therefore down to Robins to make the most of what he has got. I still don't think we have a real target man option (Biamou off the pace and Thomas out of favour and injured). We have no aerial threat in the box and struggle to hold the ball up when it is played forward. I would also love to see Baker return but that seems unlikely unless he is prepared to play for free. Ironically, I thought the first half an hour yesterday was the best we have played all season.

letsallsingtogether

People keep saying don't forget we are in league 2.
The thing is so are all the other teams and players we play against.
The way some talk it is like all the teams we play are from a higher league this is not the case, they all have the same budget restraints Most of them even less then ours.
If you look at the teams sheets for yesterday's game Yeovil had 6 or 7 players less to choose from then us.

fernandopartridge

Highlights don't look too bad. Stokes looks well off the pace at the minute though, for both goals he played a part.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Esoterica

Not at all worried by the last two games, we've just been set up wrong and it's a fairly simple remedy. Yesterday we went for more flair up top with Andreu and Nazon and I can understand why after we didn't look intricate enough to break down a very deep Newport team. What Robins didn't address was how deep lying Kelly and Doyle were in the Newport game, I can only assume he thought our longer balls might stick better with Andreu and Nazon. Has to go with either Doyle or Kelly from now on, if not it's a glaring tactical failure on his part. Vincenti needs to come back in too, his height is important and his aggression if we're only playing one of Doyle/Kelly.
Agree with a lot of the comments regarding McNulty, he has looked devoid of confidence, but he basically hasn't played first team football for a year and we've hardly been creating anything solid for him would give him a few more games IF we get the tactics right.
Where I am concerned is the full backs, Stokes looks either very unfit or carrying some injury and Grimmer, well that boy can't pass for shit. He seems fit and willing to get forward and has a half decent cross but his short passing is woeful. If we're going to get plenty of possession in games I'd have DKE back in.
Loathe to say it but Burge has to come back in now too.

Hope to see this in the next league game:
Burge
DKE, Willis, McDonald, Stokes
Doyle
Vincenti Andreu Jones
Nazon
McNulty

covcity4life

Watched this game on holiday. We did ok tbh but lack cutrinf edge upfront.

Yeovil had pace and that led to both goals really. We nees to defend better. What was up with macdobald?

Ducken did well. Him and jones look a threat. We might need somethinf more in number 9 role thouhh this season if mcnulty doesnt get his shit together

Dissapointing but still not too downbeat

CCFC_Charlie

Watched the whole game on iFollow today. Don't think it is as bad as everyone is making out. Played well 1st half and were moving the ball around nicely, creating a few chances and limiting Yeovil to very little. Goal changed the game as it settled Yeovil down a bit. 2nd half we came out well and looked alright until about the 60th minute, around when Andreu went off and then things started getting more desperate. 2nd goal was awful, Kelly should have brought him down. Last 15 is when we were at our worst. All drive gone from the side and lacking any real creativity. We need to do something different as setting up to keep a clean sheet and hope to eventually wear the opposition down won't work when individual mistakes are happening.

steve82

bd128db63ed4e3500595a4edcacfed45.png

Stats from the football league paper on the game other than the obvious telling one.

I think we're still too "nice" as a side for L2 given the characters in the side. We need that edge amongst other important aspects of the game to get the results.

covcity4life

bd128db63ed4e3500595a4edcacfed45.png

Stats from the football league paper on the game other than the obvious telling one.

I think we're still too "nice" as a side for L2 given the characters in the side. We need that edge amongst other important aspects of the game to get the results.

League 2 is pretty shit to watch. So much head tennis

I think do ok bsttling for ball. But upfront we have no presence.

Look st ducken. He keeps ball wuite alot when iy first comes to him. Someone like that upfrony gives midfirlders time to cstch up to thrm etc. Shsme biamou hasnt hit road running

Warwickhunt

Look st ducken. He keeps ball wuite alot when iy first comes to him. Someone like that upfrony gives midfirlders time to cstch up to thrm etc. Shsme biamou hasnt hit road running
That's easy for you to say!

steve82

Tried to tell you all summer
You wait till winter months.

I still believe big physical figure up top is missing from our side, Vincenti tho hasn't been great gives us a outlet, if we could make better of his knock downs then we're nearer to whats required after all McNulty played arguably his best football playing off a target man.

I think McNulty just needs a few lucky breaks to get a goal or two and he will find confidence. He's just lacking that composure and killer touch

It's still early but I think we need a moral boosting win before the rot of the fan base kicks in to negative overdrive.

stevefloyd

Watched this game on holiday. We did ok tbh but lack cutrinf edge upfront.

Yeovil had pace and that led to both goals really. We nees to defend better. What was up with macdobald?

Ducken did well. Him and jones look a threat. We might need somethinf more in number 9 role thouhh this season if mcnulty doesnt get his shit together

Dissapointing but still not too downbeat
Macdobald, I like him :) see being on holiday has cured your dyslexia

stevefloyd

Definitely Stanley Unwin !!

stevefloyd

I still believe big physical figure up top is missing from our side, Vincenti tho hasn't been great gives us a outlet, if we could make better of his knock downs then we're nearer to whats required after all McNulty played arguably his best football playing off a target man.

I think McNulty just needs a few lucky breaks to get a goal or two and he will find confidence. He's just lacking that composure and killer touch

It's still early but I think we need a moral boosting win before the rot of the fan base kicks in to negative overdrive.
Only have to watch the Arsenal game yesterday, they didn't look like they could score in a brothel, they had a real off day, so it happens to the top teams too, hopefully our good days are just round the corner, on the stats alone against Yeovil we dominated! Robins appears to have shored up our leaky defence of recent years but again to the detriment of scoring goals, just like Don Howe all those years ago, just need to tilt the balance back slightly and hopefully the goals will come but yes I definitely think we are missing a bruiser up front to upset oppositions defences for our 'smaller' players to capitilse

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

And for years we have needed a BIG F**KER upfront , I just don't know why we haven't signed some one !

Silly me , of course I do , it costs MONEY !

steve82

And for years we have needed a BIG F**KER upfront , I just don't know why we haven't signed some one !

Silly me , of course I do , it costs MONEY !

I'm sure there available most summers for free like any other type of player.

Chris Porter moved on a free having scored plenty last year in L2. Age ain't on his side but he's effective as his role.

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

Do they get paid more based on size then or are you aimlessly ranting?
Stop being silly Nick !

The bigger the better the centre forwards are, the more they cost !

And you accused me of aimlessly ranting !
giphy.gif

Users who are viewing this thread